Awning tie down straps?

disney4dan

DIS Veteran
Just got a minute to post while at work --- We have the trailer at a state park near the beach this week and I am commuting to the office each day.

We have two tie-down ropes that connect to heavy guage wire "screws" similar to the kind you can use to tie a small dog out in the yard. We've had some really windy thunderstorms each day and the first one really challenged these tie-downs and my DW and son, several other people had to disconnect them and roll up the awning during the first storm.

Another camping family suggested a different style that uses ratcheting straps similar to the kind you use to secure loads in a truck. They say that two of these on each end, combined with two sets of awning "de-flappers" per side will hold the awning with no damage.

What do you all use for your awnings while at the Fort? We are going in August and anticipate daily thunderstorms in the afternoon. Not sure if we'll use the awning at all, because we'll never make it back to the Fort in time to put the awning up.

AT the fort you need to be more concerned about the water accumulating on the awning, make sure one side of your awning is higher so the water can drain off, i'v seen many collapsed awnings at the fort. We usually unhook the bottom part of the awning from the camper and stake it in the ground.

I have the tie down system you mention, but in strong winds i usually just roll up the awning just to be safe.

My in-laws lost an awning at FtW using the straps you mentioned. If high winds are coming thru - best to put the awning in. It sure beats shelling out $$$$ for a new one!

I use tie downs like you describe that are good up to 7k each. plus the anti flappers and the angles...I live down near the gulf coast and do ok!....If I hear a really BAD storm is coming through....I pull the awning in...and sometimes even move the TT!!!! AT the Fort I don't even bother using the awning at all....I'm seldom there long enough to enjoy it!

we use deflappers, and we pound two large metal tent stakes at each end of the awning (check the army surplus store...mine came from my retired army dad). We attached the ratchet strap the awning, connected to a small bungee cord hooked to the tent stake. The bungee cord gives it enough give that it's not stiff. This method survived a fierce thunderstorm (55-60mph winds) fathers day weekend.....

I asked the same type question a while back. Here is the link. I have the cargo straps and large screw in anchors also. I did not even take them out at FW. If we were gone more than a few hours, I rolled up the awning. We did have a bad thunderstorm roll trough while we were there a few weeks ago. I saw a few broken awnings, snapped right in the middle. I think that was from the heavy rains more than the wind.

I'm gonna go along with the consensus on this and say roll up the awning if there is a threat of a storm. I, too, have the tie downs and I feel okay with a windy day, but a passing thunderstorm can kick up some big winds, and I just feel safer rolling the thing up.

Thanks for the responses, looks like I'll plan on saving the $$$ on the heavy duty straps and just leave the awning up. I'll probably have more peace of mind that way while in the parks - no worries about whether to head back mid-day.

Back to work I go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!