Awful smelling rooms at Boardwalk Villas/Inn

WDWOswald

DIS Veteran
I've read no less than 10+ recent reviews on tripadvisor that mention that the rooms at the boardwalk have a moldy, musty, mildew smell and visible mold in the shower/bath areas.

I'm considering changing our July reservations from a standard view villa because of this. I know a refurb of the villas side is coming in September- but that makes me concerned they are leaving the rooms to rot in their current state.

Last edited:
Hi! I actually commented on your FB post. We went back in February and our room was fine. No smells. Obviously they need a little love, but we didn’t think the room felt dirty, smelly, or anything other than nice. Actually, on that trip staying at BW is what made us decide to buy DVC and picked BW as our home resort. And that was prior to knowing they are renovating them.

I've read no less than 10+ recent reviews on tripadvisor that mention that the rooms at the boardwalk have a moldy, musty, mildew smell and visible mold in the shower/bath areas.

I'm considering changing our July reservations from a standard view villa because of this. I know a refurb of the villas side is coming in September- but that makes me concerned they are leaving the rooms to rot in their current state.
We were there in April with a large group, 7 rooms total, and nobody mentioned any bad smells. And believe me, with some folks in the group, everyone would have know if their room was stinky.

We were there 2 weeks ago (villas) and had no bad smells in the room.
I did notice the hardwoods in the lobby may have been redone and there had been
an slight odor (lacquer?) but nothing offensive at all.

We had a one bedroom Boardwalk view villa in February with an awful smell. We didn’t try and change rooms as they had already moved us once from a first floor room next to the DVC visitor centre, and it was only a 2 night stay and we thought it might fade once we were using it with the air con on, patio doors open etc etc…. But it didn’t.
The third night we were in a std view studio, with no issues at all.

We were there last summer with two One bed room villas side by side. One stunk and one didn’t. Had that wet, mildew stink. I went to front desk and they sent someone to spray the stinky room but it didn’t help. We just tolerated it. I would still stay there but I would bring febreeze

Our standard 1 bd at BWV in early Dec had a very musty smell to it. I won't stay there again until the refurb is complete.

On the refurb note - I keep checking threads and wondering if anyone has a "theory" about the order the Boardwalk DVC rooms (ie will they do Boardwalk, Pool View, or Standard) will be refurbished? We'll be there in December - so maybe they will not even have started DVC side by then :( any input or links appreciated ...

On the refurb note - I keep checking threads and wondering if anyone has a "theory" about the order the Boardwalk DVC rooms (ie will they do Boardwalk, Pool View, or Standard) will be refurbished? We'll be there in December - so maybe they will not even have started DVC side by then :( any input or links appreciated ...
I don’t think any of us knows for sure. But given that ALL BW View villas are blocked from occupancy from dates I never can remember in September to November, the hope is that they’ll be doing the interior refurbishment on those rooms plus the P/G View ones across the hall from them at the same time. Same with the Standard View villas that are blocked off in January and February and the P/G ones across from them.

We stayed in a moldy musty room a year and a half ago. There were also areas in which I could see the water damage and the patch jobs were terrible-the mismatched paint swatches were very visible. I complained, they changed the air filter and also sent an air purifier in which we needed to be out for 3 hours. Nothing helped and I was sick the entire time I was there from the mold. Luckily it was only 3 days the second half of our split stay. We were pretty much at the end of the villas. The hallways all smelled fresh until we got to the last wing and the smell hit me immediately in that part of the hallway. I can see how some didn’t notice it in their rooms if they were not at the end of the building. I will not stay there again. I don’t even know if a refurb could help unless they are ripping the walls and ceilings open.

I checked out of a Boardwalk view deluxe studio a week and a half ago. I was at the very end of the hall and walked the hallway several times. I didn’t notice any offensive smells in the hallway or the studio, and I’m very sensitive to smell. The villas are definitely in need of a refurbishment, but my room and the common areas were clean and comfortable, and I enjoyed my stay immensely!

We stay at BWV quite often and the only time we had any mildew smell issues was when we were there during Hurricane Ian in September. The wind that night was blowing the rain right at the Villa side doors. Our room smelled of mildew badly the next morning. We tried a couple rooms and the front desk was nice enough to walk us into 5-6 of them and all the Boardwalk view rooms were pretty wet and smelled of mildew. My daughter and I both have asthma so they ended up having to put us over on the Inn side which was fine because of how those Boardwalk view rooms were angled. They didn’t take the brunt of the rain to the balcony doors.

I don't think they're letting the rooms 'rot'. We were there in March and had no issues.

We did have to be moved at a SS last year for a mold/mildew smell. Only time we've ever had to move. Any paper we had in the room started to curl there was so much moisture in the air. Ended up the HVAC was the issue. My point is...it can happen at any resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter