avondale training journal, starting Dec. 2018 (comments welcome)

Week of Dec. 28, 2020 - Jan. 3, 2021

This was the seventh week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan. This was a cut-back week.

Monday
  • Before lunch: 90-min walk on treadmill
  • In afternoon: 60-min walk around the neighborhood
Tuesday
  • Before lunch:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 39 F, WC 30 F
      • time: 40:02
      • distance: 3.40 mi
      • average pace: 11:46
      • splits: 11:41, 11:57, 11:29, 12:17
      • elevation gain: 89 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 136 BPM - within my target range
      • route: Sligo Creek Trail
  • Before dinner: 90-min walk on treadmill
Wednesday
  • Before lunch:
    • Hill repeats: 15 min easy + 5 x (1 min hard uphill + 2 min recovery) + 10 min easy
      • T 39 F, WC 32 F
      • time: 40:06
      • distance: 3.26 mi
      • average pace: 12:18
      • elevation gain: 302 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: old loop around the neighborhood
Thursday
  • Before lunch:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 52 F (!!)
      • time: 40:01
      • distance: 3.38 mi
      • average pace: 11:51
      • splits: 11:52, 11:54, 11:44, 11:53
      • elevation gain: 66 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 139 BPM - within my target range
      • route: Rock Creek Trail
Friday
Saturday
  • Before lunch:
    • 50 min easy on trail
      • T 52 F (!!)
      • time: 45:57
      • distance: 3.27 mi
      • average pace: 14:03
      • splits: 14:11, 14:04, 13:55, 13:53
      • elevation gain: 253 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 141 BPM - just above my target range
      • comments: It was very muddy because we got an inch of rain the day before.
      • comments: I cut this a little short because I got to a stream crossing that was a little tricky.
      • route: Cabin John Stream Valley Trail - Seven Locks road, going north
  • In afternoon: 2-hr tennis doubles practice
Sunday
  • Before lunch:
    • 60 min on trail: 20 min + 5 x (2 min hard + 2 min recovery) + 2 min
      • T 37F
      • time: 1:00:06
      • distance: 4.74 mi
      • average pace: 12:41
      • elevation gain: 633 ft (uncorrected)
      • comments: This was even muddier because it had rained in the morning before I ran. Parts were paved, which was unexpected.
      • comments: This was a very hilly trail - if it wasn't going up, then it was going down.
      • route: Western Ridge Trail, Rock Creek National Park
  • Before dinner: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I lost 6-2, 7-5, and our team lost overall, too

Health

Well, the large breaks in between when I can play tennis have showed me that my headache is exacerbated by tennis. Playing really works the muscles in my neck, which is likely one of the issues causing the continuous headache. Blast. At any rate, my headache has been pretty bad the last couple of days.

I hope you have found the cause of the headaches. Too bad it appears to be exasperated with an activity you seem to love so much.

I hope you have found the cause of the headaches. Too bad it appears to be exasperated with an activity you seem to love so much.
Thanks for your good wishes.

Unfortunately the headache has been going on at various levels of pain since September 2018. I've been working with a neurologist to try out different treatments, but so far nothing has really been effective. It's almost certainly caused by neck and back-of-head muscles spasming, but we just can't seem to relieve them. Tried PT, massage, and many different drug therapies. One issue is that nothing is expected to work overnight, so that means with every new treatment, I have to try it out for a couple of months and that adds up. They aren't migraines.

Week of Jan. 4 - 10, 2021

This was the eighth week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan. I am still really enjoying the trail running on the weekend. Somehow it seems like less work even with all the hills.

I've been adding in 1 - 2 short walks per day, as described previously.

Monday
  • Before breakfast: prehab routine and foam rolling and stretching
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • T 45 F
      • time: 50:17
      • distance: 4.18 mi
      • average pace: 12:01
      • splits: 11:48, 12:07, 11:46, 12:14, 12:53
      • elevation gain: 115 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 140 BPM - at the top of my my target range
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast:
    • legs and pull-ups routine (like 3 weeks ago)
      • 2 x 12ea one-leg glute bridge
      • 2 x 10 pull-ups (2 unassisted)
      • 2 x 7ea one-leg hamstring curls
      • 2 x 10 chin-ups (2 unassisted)
      • 2 x 10ea one-leg Romanian deadlift
      • 2 x 10 close-grip pull-ups (2 unassisted)
      • 2 x 12 goblet squats, with 20 lb
      • 1 x 22ea single-leg step-ups
    • foam rolling and stretching
  • In evening: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I lost 6-2, 2-6, 1-0, but our team won overall!
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast:
    • Plyo
      • 20 squat jumps
      • 3 x 20 toe hops
      • 3 x 12 each leg, single leg hops in plus pattern
      • 20 skaters
      • 10 burpees
    • 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper
  • Before dinner:
    • Hill repeats: 15 min easy + 7 x (1 min hard uphill + 2 min recovery) + 14 min easy
      • T 41 F, WC 32 F
      • time: 50:16
      • distance: 4.03 mi
      • average pace: --
      • elevation gain: 384 ft (uncorrected)
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: upper body workout
    • 2 x 18 decline push-ups
    • 2 x 10 shoulder presses, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 18 military push-ups
    • 2 x 18 tricep dips
    • 2 x 18 wide push-ups
    • 2 x 10 close-grip pull-ups
    • 2 x 18 shoulder front raises, 5 lb each arm
    • 2 x 13 push-ups on medicine balls
    • 2 x 13 one-arm shoulder rows, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 18 shoulder side raises, 5 lb each arm
  • Before dinner:
    • 60 min easy
      • T 45 F
      • time: 1:00:11
      • distance: 4.89 mi
      • average pace: 12:18
      • splits: 12:14, 12:11, 12:15, 12:29, 12:22
      • comments: This seemed harder than it should have; pace was kind of slow.
Friday
  • After dinner 90-min walk on treadmill
Saturday
  • Before lunch:
    • 70 min easy on trail
      • T 37 F, WC 26 F
      • time: 1:10:01
      • distance: 5.03 mi
      • average pace: 13:55
      • splits: 13:56, 14:33, 13:57, 13:17, 13:51
      • elevation gain: 272 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 146 BPM - above my target range
      • comments: My HR seemed oddly high for this, so I ended up going pretty slowly. Even so, my ave HR was much higher than usual. I was wondering if it was going up into the 150s and trying to cadence-lock. Since I was running so slowly, my cadence was much lower than usual.
      • route: Northwest Branch Trail
  • Before dinner: 45-min walk on treadmill
Sunday
  • Before lunch:
    • 100 min on trail: 36 min + 7 x (2 min hard + 2 min recovery) + 36 min
      • T 43 F
      • time: 1:40:06
      • distance: 7.59
      • elevation gain: 512 ft (uncorrected)
      • Ave HR: 142 BPM - low for LR range.
      • comments: Even though I added 10 minutes to the length of my run compared to 2 weeks ago, I barely got any more distance. A slightly different route added quite a bit of technical ascent and descent.
      • comments: It was fun and a really beautiful day.
      • Route: Valley Trail, Rock Creek National Park

Health

The headache continues.

@DopeyBadger, I would like to ask your advice on some race and training timing.

I had made an 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan. Next week (starting Jan. 18) will be my 10th and peak week of the plan. On Saturday and Sunday, I will be doing trail runs of 90min and 140min. The following week is a cut-back week.

I would like to do a Yeti 24-hour challenge. This is 5.2 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours. I can pick any date between now and the end of March to do it, at least to submit virtual results, which I would like to do. I can run the miles on any type of terrain or the treadmill. I would plan to do a 12 min/mi pace and just get the miles done with no time goal. I would like to start early on a Saturday morning (5 or 6am) so that I can sleep a lot on Sunday.

I want to do a trail race before it gets too hot. I had thought that I'd found a local 10k trail race for March 21, however, I realized today that they run the race on the state park road, not the trails. (huh?)

This series of trail races is probably a good option: https://www.ex2adventures.com/trail-running/spring-backyard-burn-trail-running-series/ They are also relatively close to me. I'd probably want to do the longer version. I'm not sure which one. I could potentially do all three, but they are only two weeks apart.

Question for you: what do you think would be the best date to do the Yeti? I definitely need to get more miles done before then. And then would you suggest a particular trail race, given the Yeti date?

Tonight I am going to try to work on my next trail running training plan.

Thanks!

I would like to do a Yeti 24-hour challenge. This is 5.2 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours. I can pick any date between now and the end of March to do it, at least to submit virtual results, which I would like to do. I can run the miles on any type of terrain or the treadmill. I would plan to do a 12 min/mi pace and just get the miles done with no time goal. I would like to start early on a Saturday morning (5 or 6am) so that I can sleep a lot on Sunday.

No time goal, then consider doing a 13-14 min/mile instead. It'll potentially make the challenge easier. Even easier if you did run/walk with a 12-14 min/mile run pace. That puts it at about 60-75 min per run every 4 hours.

I want to do a trail race before it gets too hot. I had thought that I'd found a local 10k trail race for March 21, however, I realized today that they run the race on the state park road, not the trails. (huh?)

This series of trail races is probably a good option: https://www.ex2adventures.com/trail-running/spring-backyard-burn-trail-running-series/ They are also relatively close to me. I'd probably want to do the longer version. I'm not sure which one. I could potentially do all three, but they are only two weeks apart.

Question for you: what do you think would be the best date to do the Yeti? I definitely need to get more miles done before then. And then would you suggest a particular trail race, given the Yeti date?

What would be the goal of the 10k race? Are you trying to do it with a pace in mind?

If you did the Yeti Challenge at the earliest point possible, then that would be the weekend of 2/6-2/7. That would give you 11 weeks before the 10k.
If you did the Yeti Challenge at the latest point possible, then that would be the weekend of 3/27-28. That would give you 4 weeks before the 10k.

So in one option you're prioritizing the 10k, and in the other the Yeti Challenge. If you're doing training volume in the 6-8 hr range right now, then I think you're probably be able to complete the Yeti sooner rather than needing more training. Especially since you can take it as slow as you want. You could even just attempt to walk the whole thing in the absence of a time goal, although I think run/walk would probably be easier than trying to walk the whole thing.

No time goal, then consider doing a 13-14 min/mile instead. It'll potentially make the challenge easier. Even easier if you did run/walk with a 12-14 min/mile run pace. That puts it at about 60-75 min per run every 4 hours.

With the 12 min/mi pace, I was trying to balance easier running with more recovery time. Some legs may end up being slower, and that's fine. My goal for this is definitely completion rather than time. In typical years, I wouldn't want to "waste" training time by trying to do this, so the lack of races makes this a good time.

What would be the goal of the 10k race? Are you trying to do it with a pace in mind?

With the race series that I pointed out, I was hoping to do the longer option, which is about 10 miles. The race is a higher priority than the Yeti. I don't have a pace goal in mind since I have never raced on trails, but I would intend to put in race intensity.

If you did the Yeti Challenge at the earliest point possible, then that would be the weekend of 2/6-2/7. That would give you 11 weeks before the 10k.
If you did the Yeti Challenge at the latest point possible, then that would be the weekend of 3/27-28. That would give you 4 weeks before the 10k.

So in one option you're prioritizing the 10k, and in the other the Yeti Challenge. If you're doing training volume in the 6-8 hr range right now, then I think you're probably be able to complete the Yeti sooner rather than needing more training. Especially since you can take it as slow as you want. You could even just attempt to walk the whole thing in the absence of a time goal, although I think run/walk would probably be easier than trying to walk the whole thing.

As I said, this upcoming week is my peak week of my current plan, and I should be running 6 h 50 m, so that seems to be in line.

The race series that I linked to has races 3/28, 4/11, and 4/25. It seems like you are thinking 4/25 would be best?

This is all very helpful - thanks!

Last question: do you have any thoughts on the recovery time from the Yeti? It will obviously be more mileage than I've done in a race, but with lots of breaks. For a marathon, I've typically done 1 week complete off of running and an additional 3 weeks of only easy and short (< 1 h) running. I feel like that should be reasonable for the Yeti as well.

I've really been enjoying the trail running a lot. It is interesting that I've developed a completely different perspective on hills and concerns about pacing/time (although I still wish I would get faster, already).

wanted to share. i tried trail running and still do it sometimes. I did a 50Kish race. I much prefer road running or hiking. I really thought since I like those two things I would love trail running but not so much. Glad you are enjoying it.

Week of Jan. 11 - 17, 2021

This was the ninth week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan.

I've been adding in 1 - 2 short walks per day, as described previously.

Monday
  • Before dinner: 90-min walk on the treadmill
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast:
    • legs and pull-ups routine
      • 2 x 13ea one-leg glute bridge
      • 2 x 11ea one-leg Romanian deadlift
      • 2 x 13 goblet squats, with 20 lb
      • 1 x 24ea single-leg step-ups
  • Before dinner:
    • Hill repeats: 10 min easy + 10 x (1 min hard uphill + 2 min recovery) + 10 min easy
      • T 45 F
      • time: 50:06
      • distance: 3.88 mi
      • elevation gain: 404 ft (uncorrected)
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast:
    • Plyo
      • 20 squat jumps
      • 3 x 20 toe hops
      • 20 skaters
      • 10 burpees
    • 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper
  • Before dinner:
    • 60 min easy
      • T 50 F
      • time: 1:00:02
      • distance: 4.86 mi
      • average pace: 12:21
      • splits: 12:19, 12:44, 12:26, 11:49, 12:25
      • elevation gain: 151 ft (uncorrected)
      • comments: This seemed harder than it should have; pace was kind of slow.
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: foam rolling and stretching
  • Before dinner:
    • 60min easy
      • T 54 F
      • time: 1:00:08
      • distance: 5.16 mi
      • average pace: 11:39
      • splits: 11:49, 11:31, 11:36, 11:39, 11:37, 11:53
      • ave HR: 142 BPM - above my target range
      • comments: I was wondering if I was going so slowly that I was "bouncing" too much and making my HR high. I decided to hold a faster pace for awhile and see how the HR did. It wasn't horribly high, but I'm not sure I was correct in my hypothesis.
Friday
  • Before breakfast:
    • upper body workout
      • 2 x 18 decline push-ups
      • 2 x 11 shoulder presses, 20 lb each arm
      • 2 x 18 military push-ups
      • 2 x 18 tricep dips
      • 2 x 18 wide push-ups
      • 2 x 18 shoulder front raises, 5 lb each arm
      • 2 x 13 push-ups on medicine balls
      • 2 x 13 one-arm shoulder rows, 20 lb each arm
      • 2 x 18 shoulder side raises, 5 lb each arm
  • After dinner: 90-min walk on treadmill
Saturday
  • Before lunch:
    • 80 min easy on trail
      • T 39 F
      • time: 1:20:03
      • distance: 6.11 mi
      • average pace: 13:06
      • splits: 12:47, 13:52, 13:00, 12:41, 13:23, 12:55, 12:50
      • elevation gain: 217 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 145 BPM - above my target range
      • comments: I had a significantly faster average pace on this than on this trail last week, but my HR was about the same. I'm trying to really keep the feeling of it being easy.
  • Before dinner: 55-min walk on treadmill
Sunday
  • Before lunch: 40-min walk on treadmill
  • Before dinner:
    • 40 min + 10 x (2 min hard + 2 min recovery) + 40 min, on trail
      • T 45 F
      • time: 2:05:00
      • distance: 9.29 mi
      • average pace: 13:27
      • elevation gain: 1270 ft !!! (uncorrected)
      • comments: I took 200cal of Tailwind in 1.5L and I drank about 2/3 of it.
      • comments: This route is either going up or going down - there is little that is flat. I was very happy with how I handled all the uphill.
      • comments: I made a wrong turn when heading back, so I ended running an extra 5 min to finish the return leg and get back to my car.
      • Route: Western Ridge Trail, Rock Creek National Park

Health

I got my 7th covid test on Thursday - negative again. The headache continues.

Last edited:
The race series that I linked to has races 3/28, 4/11, and 4/25. It seems like you are thinking 4/25 would be best?

If the goal is a race effort, then more time is better between the two efforts.

Last question: do you have any thoughts on the recovery time from the Yeti? It will obviously be more mileage than I've done in a race, but with lots of breaks. For a marathon, I've typically done 1 week complete off of running and an additional 3 weeks of only easy and short (< 1 h) running. I feel like that should be reasonable for the Yeti as well.

Treat it like a marathon. So 1-2 weeks off and a few easy weeks building back.

Week of Jan. 18 - 24, 2021

This was the tenth week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan.

I've been adding in 1 - 2 short walks per weekday, as described previously.

This week I was in a team running challenge with some Garmin friends, so I added in some extra miles. This was my peak week, anyway.

I registered for the Yeti 24-hr Challenge (with the intent of doing it Feb. 6/7), and I registered for the Fountainhead 10-mile trail race on April 25. It's nice to have some running events to look forward to.

Monday
  • After dinner:
    • An extra run: 3.1 mi on the treadmill at 5.0 mph
    • I was supposed to be playing a tennis doubles match, but one of our opponents didn't show up (boo!) so we won by default and didn't get to play.
    • An extra run: 2.0 mi on the treadmill at 5.0 mph
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast:
    • legs and pull-ups routine
      • 2 x 8 goblet squats, with 30 lb
      • 1 x 24ea single-leg step-ups
  • Before dinner:
    • 60min easy
      • T 50 F
      • time: 1:00:04
      • distance: 4.96 mi
      • average pace: 12:06
      • splits: 12:07, 12:16, 12:01, 11:40, 12:28
      • elevation gain: 144 ft (uncorrected)
      • comments: faster than last week...
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast:
    • Plyo
      • 20 squat jumps
      • 3 x 20 toe hops
      • 20 skaters
      • 10 burpees
    • 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper
  • Before dinner:
    • Hill repeats: 15 min easy + 5 x (2 min hard uphill + 4 min recovery) + 15 min easy
      • T 41 F, WC 32 F
      • time: 1:00:07
      • distance: 4.62 mi
      • elevation gain: 420 ft (uncorrected)
Thursday
  • Before breakfast:
    • upper body workout - I changed this a bit
      • 2 x 10 decline push-ups, one leg raised
      • 2 x 5 shoulder presses, 25 lb each arm
      • 2 x 10 military push-ups, one leg raised
      • 2 x 10 tricep dips, one leg raised
      • 2 x 10 wide push-ups, one leg raised
      • 2 x 5 shoulder front raises, 10 lb each arm
      • 2 x 6 push-ups on medicine balls, push-up goes into side plank with one arm extended up, hold for a few seconds
      • 2 x 5ea lawnmowers, 30 lb each arm
      • 2 x 5 shoulder side raises, 10 lb each arm
  • Before dinner:
    • 60min easy
      • T 52 F
      • time: 1:00:08
      • distance: 5.09 mi
      • average pace: 11:49
      • splits: 11:40, 11:57, 11:39, 12:02, 11:52, 11:25
      • ave HR: 140 BPM - at the top end of my target range
      • comments: faster than last week...
Friday
  • Before dinner:
    • 40min easy - extra run
      • T 45 F, WC 40 F
      • time: 40:04
      • distance: 3.36 mi
      • average pace: 11:56
      • splits: 11:48, 12:04, 11:53, 12:04
      • elevation gain: 69 ft (uncorrected)
Saturday
  • Before lunch:
    • 90min easy on trail
      • T 30 F, WC 18 F
      • time: 1:30:04
      • distance: 7.06 mi
      • average pace: 12:46
      • spits: 12:53, 13:08, 12:42, 13:04, 12:11, 12:43, 12:29, 12:53
      • elevation gain: 223 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 142 BPM - just above my target range, but I consider this OK for on a trail
      • comments: This may be the best average pace that I've ever had on this trail! I feel like I am improving my trail running fitness.
Sunday before dinner:
  • 140min on trail
    • T 34 F, WC 30F
    • time: 2:20:03
    • distance: 10.26 mi
    • average pace: 13:39
    • splits: 12:34, 12:32, 13:09, 14:51, 15:25, 14:07, 15:41, 13:18, 12:52, 12:37, 11:25
    • elevation gain: 1161 ft (uncorrected) !!!
    • ave HR: 142 BPM - just above my target range, but I consider this OK for on a trail
    • comments: Took 300 cal of Tailwind in 1.5L - drank more than half of it.
    • comments: I got to some new sections of the trail that I hadn't run before - roughly miles 4 - 7 - and they had some very steep sections and more technical terrain. I am pretty happy with how the splits turned out.
    • comments: This was still lots of fun. The more technical terrain makes me feel like a badass going through it.
    • route: Valley Trail, Rock Creek National Park
My total mileage for the week was 40.5 miles, which is the most miles I've done in a week in a long time. The Sunday run was the longest run since my marathon on Nov. 8.

I can definitely tell how familiarity with a trail lets me go faster. Even going through a section (and back) once gives me more confidence to take it faster (for downhills) and somehow makes the uphills not seem so bad. This validates my plan to travel to my race route a couple of times to run parts of the race course prior to the race. The location is about an hour away, so it's not somewhere I'd like to go to run frequently, but it seems like it will be worth it for race prep.

Health

No changes. The headache continues. Generally not too horrible this week.

i agree on being familiar with the trail. When i did my 50k, i went and hiked a good portion of it prior to the race, so i knew what to expect. I definitely think it helped me, but so did running the last 4 miles on pavement :)

Week of Jan. 25 - 31, 2021

This was the last week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan. This was a cut-back week.

I'm planning to do the Yeti 24-hr Challenge starting early Saturday morning, Feb. 6/7.

Monday
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: legs and pull-ups routine
    • 1 x 26ea single-leg step-ups
  • Before dinner: 90-min walk on treadmill (ice storm)
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast:
    • Plyo
      • 20 squat jumps
      • 3 x 20 toe hops
      • 20 skaters
      • 10 burpees
    • 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper
  • Before dinner:
    • Hill repeats: 15 min easy + 5 x (2 min hard uphill + 4 min recovery)
      • T 41 F
      • time: 45:06
      • distance: 3.30 mi
      • elevation gain: 318 ft (uncorrected)
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: upper body
    • 2 x 10 decline push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 10 military push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 10 tricep dips, one leg raised
    • 2 x 10 wide push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 5 shoulder front raises, 12 lb each arm
    • 2 x 6 push-ups on medicine balls, push-up goes into side plank with one arm extended up, hold for a few seconds
    • 2 x 5 shoulder side raises, 12 lb each arm
  • Before dinner:
    • 50min easy
      • T 34 F, WC 23 F
      • time: 50:01
      • distance: 4.23 mi
      • average pace: 11:49
      • splits: 11:39, 11:56, 11:48, 11:57, 11:31
      • elevation gain: 79 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 140 BPM - at the top end of my target range
Friday
  • Before dinner:
    • 50min easy
      • T 32 F, WC 20 F
      • time: 50:01
      • distance: 4.23 mi
      • average pace: 11:51
      • splits: 11:55, 11:56, 11:38, 11:42, 12:34
      • elevation gain: 125 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 143 BPM - above my target range
Saturday
  • Before lunch:
    • 60min easy on trail
      • T 30 F
      • time: 59:56
      • distance: 4.65 mi
      • average pace: 12:53
      • spits: 12:44, 13:25, 12:56, 12:38, 12:39
      • elevation gain: 161 ft (uncorrected)
  • In evening: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I won 6-1, 7-6, and our team won overall, too! :banana:
Sunday: We had an all-day storm with several inches of snow, so could not go out and do the 100-min trail run that I had planned. I hate running on the treadmill, so I split the run into two halves.
  • Before lunch: 50min easy on treadmill at 5.0pmh = 3.89 mi
  • Before dinner: 50min easy on treadmill at 5.0 mph = 4.14 mi

Health

No changes.

Week of Feb. 1 - 7, 2021

This week I did the Yeti 24-hr Challenge! In this challenge, you run 5.2 miles every 4 hours 6 times, which means the challenge covers a 24-hr period. It went really well!

Monday
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: legs and pull-ups routine
    • 2 x 7ea one-leg hamstring curls - I didn't do the second set, because it felt like I was hyperextending my left knee
    • 1 x 26ea single-leg step-ups
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper and foam rolling and stretching
  • Before dinner:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 41 F, WC 31 F
      • distance: 3.22 mi
      • average pace: 12:25
      • splits: 12:31, 12:33, 11:57, 13:30
      • elevation gain: 85 ft (uncorrected)
      • comments: I wore my microspikes; some parts of the trail were still snow/ice-covered.
Thursday
    • 2 x 11 decline push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 11 military push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 10 tricep dips, feet up on stability ball
    • 2 x 11 wide push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 5 shoulder front raises, 12 lb each arm
    • 2 x 7 push-ups on medicine balls, push-up goes into side plank with one arm extended up, hold for a few seconds
    • 2 x 5 shoulder side raises, 12 lb each arm
  • Before dinner:
    • 30 min easy
      • T 45 F
      • time: 30:04
      • distance: 2.53 mi
      • average pace: 11:52
      • splits: 11:55, 11:55, 11:39
      • elevation gain: 59 ft (uncorrected)
Friday
  • After dinner: 45-min walk on treadmill
Yeti 24-hr Challenge
  • I chose to start my first run of the challenge at 6:30am Friday. This means my remaining runs would be at 10:30am, 2:30pm, 6:30pm, 10:30pm, and Sunday at 2:30am.
  • Each leg was 5.2 miles, which gives a total of 31.2 miles (50.2 km).
  • Leg 1 (Saturday, 6:30am)
    • T 30 F
    • time: 1:01:08
    • distance: 5.2 mi
    • average pace: 11:45
    • splits: 11:49, 12:05, 11:49, 11:35, 11:26, 11:47
    • elevation gain: 52 ft (uncorrected)
    • ave HR: 142 BPM
    • comments: It really took me a long time to get going on this run. It seemed hard, and I thought I was going to be in trouble with the challenge if the first leg was hard. I did enjoy seeing the sunrise.
    • Route: Rock Creek Trail
  • Leg 2 (Saturday, 10:30am)
    • T 45 F
    • time: 1:01:07
    • distance 5.2 mi
    • average pace: 11:45
    • splits: 11:42, 12:02, 11:41, 11:14, 11:25, 15:09
    • elevation gain: 161 ft (uncorrected)
    • ave HR: 147 BPM
    • comments: Despite the higher HR and the identical average pace, this run felt much better. I was overdressed a bit.
    • Route: Sligo Creek Trail
  • Leg 3 (Saturday, 2:30pm)
    • T 48 F
    • time: 58:07
    • average pace: 11:11
    • splits: 11:15, 11:18, 10:56, 11:14, 11:11, 11:09
    • elevation gain: 82 ft (uncorrected)
    • ave HR: 149 BPM
    • comments: This run felt good! My legs were happy to run. It was nice not to obsess about keeping the HR down and just go with what felt good.
    • Route: Rock Creek Trail
  • Leg 4 (Saturday, 6:30pm)
    • T 41 F
    • time: 1:00:28
    • average pace: 11:38
    • splits: 11:23, 11:31, 11:45, 11:23, 12:04, 11:56
    • elevation gain: 400 ft (uncorrected)
    • ave HR: 143 BPM
    • comments: This loop by my house is really hilly - I used one of the hills for hill repeats in this training cycle. I power walked most of the uphills and then really screamed down the downhills. It worked out pretty well in terms of keeping me on a similar average pace as the previous legs.
    • Route: old loop around the neighborhood
  • Leg 5 (Saturday, 10:30pm)
    • T 37 F
    • time: 59:19
    • average pace: 11:24
    • splits: 11:27, 11:30, 10:53, 11:21, 12:02, 10:22
    • elevation gain: 420 ft (uncorrected)
    • ave HR: 145 BPM
    • comments: This was the same loop as leg 4, and I used the same strategy. Apparently I did it even better since this was overall over a minute faster.
    • comments: It was nice being by my house, because I had to take a mid-run potty break. :)
    • Route: old loop around the neighborhood
  • Leg 6 (Sunday, 2:30am)
    • Done on treadmill. I was going to run this leg outside for two reasons: I run better outside, and I thought my husband was going to go to bed before this leg. However, the weather changed and we were supposed to get a cold rain during this leg, and my husband decided to stay awake until I was done. So I did the treadmill, although I hate it.
    • I started out with a speed of 5.0 mph, although I played around with the speeds to try to give myself some variety. It didn't really help. By this point, my chest was starting to hurt from the breathing, and I ended up walking approximately the last mile at 15:00 pace.
    • time: 1:04:18
    • average pace: 12:22
    • splits: 11:22, 11:34, 12:00, 12:34, 14:11, 13:00
    • ave HR: 138 BPM
    • comments: I was dead by the time this was done.
  • General comments
    • I planned pretty carefully ahead of time to have 400-cal small meals after each run with carbs and some protein. I made sure to hydrate.
    • I deliberately put on my calf compression sleeves after each run, even though I don't often use them. I tried to stay off my feet in between legs.
    • I didn't take any naps except a short one after the first leg (!). I was really tired after leg 5, but didn't want to risk a nap.
    • This was a very do-able challenge. I wasn't trying to race all of the legs or hit a specific time, which probably made it easier. I never really got that sore over the course of the day. Writing this the day after, I'm a little sore in the legs, but not bad. I feel better than I do after a marathon.
  • Total time: 6:04:27.
    • I am very happy with this. I planned to start out at about an hour per leg, but I really didn't know if I'd be able to keep it up.
    • I got to bed at 4:30am and slept until just before noon! I haven't had that kind of sleep schedule since I was in college.
Sunday before dinner: 45-min walk on treadmill

Health

I had my 8th covid test on Thursday, and it was negative.

Nice work! You just ran an ultra with long breaks, which now that I'm thinking about, might be harder? I wonder...

Anyways, congrats!! :banana::banana::banana:

Nice work! You just ran an ultra with long breaks, which now that I'm thinking about, might be harder? I wonder...

Anyways, congrats!! :banana::banana::banana:

Thanks!

I'm not sure which way you intended your comment, but I think the 50K with long breaks, which is what I did for the Yeti, was much easier than a continuous 50K. Heck, it was easier than my last two marathons because I had cool temperatures for the Yeti.

Week of Feb. 8 - 14, 2021

I was off from running this week in order to start my recovery from my Yeti Challenge.

Monday
  • After dinner: 90-min walk on the treadmill
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: prehab routine
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper and foam rolling and stretching
  • After dinner: 90-min walk on the treadmill
Thursday
    • 2 x 12 decline push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 6 shoulder presses, 25 lb each arm
    • 2 x 12 military push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 10 tricep dips, feet up on stability ball
    • 2 x 12 wide push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 6 shoulder front raises, 12 lb each arm
    • 2 x 8 push-ups on medicine balls, push-up goes into side plank with one arm extended up, hold for a few seconds
    • 2 x 6ea lawnmowers, 30 lb each arm
    • 2 x 6 shoulder side raises, 12 lb each arm
Friday
Saturday
  • Before lunch: 10 Rounds boxing workout
Sunday
  • In evening: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I won 6-2, 7-5, and our team won overall, too! 🤞

I am very happy that I decided to get the Beachbody On Demand streaming account to be able to do 10 Rounds. (I have a bunch of Beachbody workout programs, but all on DVD.) I've really enjoyed getting back into boxing. For the moment, I am doing the program as the trainer does - shadow boxing. I am planning to eventually get a bag so that I can punch with gloves like I used to do at the gym.

Health

The past couple of weeks, my headache hasn't been too bad. Apparently this was because I wasn't playing tennis (or boxing). After doing those the past couple of days, the headache is worse again, although not as bad as it could be. I saw my neurologist today, and he's tweaking my meds a bit. I also have another order for physical therapy; I've been uncomfortable with this because of covid, but he's really pushing it. We'll see.

Week of Feb. 15 - 21, 2021

This was my first of three weeks of easy running for recovery from my Yeti Challenge.

Monday
  • Before breakfast: 10 Rounds boxing workout and foam rolling and stretching
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: 10 Rounds lower body strength workout, and I added pull-ups
  • Before dinner:
    • 30 min easy
      • T 39 F
      • time: 30:02
      • distance: 2.49 mi
      • average pace: 12:05
      • splits: 11:55, 12:04, 12:29
      • elevation gain: 75 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 142 BPM - above my target range
    • 45-min walk on treadmill
Wednesday before dinner:
  • 30 min easy
    • T 34 F
    • time: 30:02
    • distance: 2.51 mi
    • average pace: 11:57
    • splits: 11:57, 12:11, 11:29
    • elevation gain: 46 ft (uncorrected)
    • ave HR: 139 BPM - within my target range
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: 10 Rounds upper body strength workout, and I added pull-ups
  • Before dinner:
    • 50-min power hiking workout on treadmill
      • At 0% incline
        • 3 min at 3.0 mph
        • 3 min at 3.5 mph
        • 4 min at 4.0 mph
      • At 15% incline
        • 5 min at 3.2 mph
        • 5 min at 3.4 mph
        • 5 min at 3.6 mph
        • 5 min at 3.5 mph
        • 5 min at 3.3 mph
        • 5 min at 3.1 mph
      • At 0% incline
        • 4 min at 4.0 mph
        • 3 min at 3.5 mph
        • 3 min at 3.0 mph
    • 33-min walk on treadmill
Friday
  • Before breakfast: 10 Rounds boxing workout and foam rolling and stretching
Saturday
  • Before lunch:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 28 F, WC 18🥶🥶
      • time: 40:03
      • distance: 3.14 mi
      • average pace: 12:45
      • splits: 12:51, 13:04, 12:16, 13:20
      • elevation gain: 89 ft (uncorrected)
      • ave HR: 145 BPM - above my target range
      • comments: We had gotten snow, then sleet, then freezing rain, so most of the trail was covered with ice and packed snow. I wore my microspikes.
  • Before dinner:
    • 10 Rounds boxing workout
Sunday
  • Before lunch:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 32 F, WC 24 F🥶
      • distance: 3.27 mi
      • average pace: 12:16
      • splits: 12:18, 12:36, 12:10, 11:09
      • comments: This trail was a little more clear of snow/ice, but I still wore my microspikes.
My CRAW team has finished Region 3 and started Region 4, which is Antarctica! This has been fun to continue with.

The Beachbody 10 Rounds program is very good. I had done a lot of boxing in the past with gloves and a heavy bag at a couple different gyms. This was fine, but I didn't necessarily learn a lot of technique, especially for defensive moves, like slips and rolls. I can see how the 10 Rounds workouts are gradually adding on and building skills. In particular, the core work that is started from the very first workout is aimed at preparing you for the upcoming boxing moves. The strength workouts are also pretty good, but they are not the type of strength work that I am looking for at the moment. They are focused on muscle endurance with a lot of AMRAP moves, whereas I want to do many fewer reps and really push the weight up for strength and power. Also, they don't do any pull-ups, and I really want to keep working on those. So, I am going to go back to doing my own strength workouts for the moment.

Health

I had what I think was my ninth covid test this week, and it was negative. Always nice to see.

I think maybe my headaches have been a bit better this week, possibly because of the adjustment of my medication by my neurologist. Let's hope!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter