avondale training journal, starting Dec. 2018 (comments welcome)

Great recap! I'm happy to hear the race went well and the weather cooperated. Fantastic news that the trails were able to dry out.

This was your first 25K, right? If so, congrats on the pr!

I don't spend a lot of time on trails but I always enjoy it when I do. I'm also always surprised when they feel so much harder than road miles. Have you always been a trail runner? Any tips for how to get started?

Great recap! I'm happy to hear the race went well and the weather cooperated. Fantastic news that the trails were able to dry out.

This was your first 25K, right? If so, congrats on the pr!

I don't spend a lot of time on trails but I always enjoy it when I do. I'm also always surprised when they feel so much harder than road miles. Have you always been a trail runner? Any tips for how to get started?

Thanks! Yes, my first 25K. But one of the things about trail racing is that every course is different, so you can't really compare even the same race distances. A 25K with 1000 ft of elevation gain (like this one) that is on easy terrain (like this one) will be very different from a 25K with lots of rocks and roots and 2500 ft of elevation gain. There is some variation in road races because of hills, but really not to the same degree.

I started running on paved surfaces. I have done a number of road HMs and five road marathons. During the pandemic I threw in a few trails during a training cycle and after my marathon in November 2020, I switched over to trails for trail racing. For training, I generally do mid-week runs on paved surfaces and weekend runs on trails.

I knew starting out on trails that I would be slower on them, but I didn't realize how much the slow-down would depend on the type of surface and the hills - usually there are a lot more hills on trails. But after running consistently on them, I have gotten faster, just like running consistently for "normal" running.

For getting started, my first suggestions is that you don't think at all about pace. Think about effort level. This is usually a HR zone or range of HR BPM. For example, my easy runs should be at a HR of 67% or lower. When I was using DopeyBadger training plans for road running, this translated to a pace of 11:56 or slower. But using my HR zones/percentages (using the HRR calculation method), this translates to a HR of 140 BPM or lower. So I watch my HR when I do easy runs and not the pace. I even do this when I do paved easy runs now.

Similarly, if I want to run at LR or tempo pace, I put that in terms of my HR and pay attention to that. It does mean that, especially for easy runs, I end up power-walking a lot of uphills. But that is improving.

Second suggestion: if you plan on trail racing, then train on hills a lot. Don't avoid them. There are a lot of different training modalities for hills, but if you don't do them, you won't get better on them. Trail races are full of hills.

Third suggestion: if you're going to consistently run on trails, get a pair of trail running shoes. I know my Brooks shoe size, so I have Adrenaline GTSs for road running and Cascadias for trail running. The extra traction on the trail shoes is very useful. Also, some types have extra protection inside for if you step on sharp rocks and the materials overall are a little tougher so they won't get eaten up as fast.

I have really, really been enjoying trail running and racing. I won't rule out doing road races if there's some reason I would like to, but I don't see myself doing it a lot.

Yes, my first 25K. But one of the things about trail racing is that every course is different, so you can't really compare even the same race distances.
Ha! Shows you how much I know 😆

Thanks for all the info. I'm not sure if trail racing is in my future but I am thinking about switching one run a week to trail just to mix things up.

I actually have trail running shoes that I bought for winter running. They aren't my favorite but they work in a pinch. They're just a lot clunkier than my typical shoes.

Good note on the effort level. I've been thinking about trying out some hr training but I'm not totally sold. It seems most people find it valuable because it makes them slow down. I'm already plenty good at taking it slow on my easy days.

Congratulations on a great race. Makes me think slightly about another trail race. i enjoy hiking on the trails just not sure about running them. Yes i have done 3 trail races so far. Am sure I will go for it again. I do think about a backyard. Would love to do 12 yards.

Congrats on your 25K!!:banana: It sounds like the weather was perfect for running. Also sounds like your training and fueling served you well! Glad you enjoyed the race (minus the parking issue).

I have been thinking I'd like to do a 50K sometime in the next 2-3 years and the TC trail fest 50K is on my potential list. I'm also considering the North Country Trail 50K and the Marquette Trail 50K. I have family that live in both TC and Marquette, so it will likely be one of those two, but the Marquette race has big elevation gain (but is also very scenic).

Congratulations on a great race. Makes me think slightly about another trail race. i enjoy hiking on the trails just not sure about running them. Yes i have done 3 trail races so far. Am sure I will go for it again. I do think about a backyard. Would love to do 12 yards.

Thank you!

I also do hiking, mostly with my husband - we like to go on big vacations to national parks and hike, hike, hike. The advantage of trail running over hiking is just that you get places faster. :) But my husband will never run, so we'll be hiking together, and that's fine.

Congrats on your 25K!!:banana: It sounds like the weather was perfect for running. Also sounds like your training and fueling served you well! Glad you enjoyed the race (minus the parking issue).

I have been thinking I'd like to do a 50K sometime in the next 2-3 years and the TC trail fest 50K is on my potential list. I'm also considering the North Country Trail 50K and the Marquette Trail 50K. I have family that live in both TC and Marquette, so it will likely be one of those two, but the Marquette race has big elevation gain (but is also very scenic).

Thank you, @michigandergirl ! It was so great to have things actually work out well for the race!

I know you've mentioned the NCT races and Marquette. When are they? For me, timing with the seasonal temperature is pretty much the most important thing. :)

Anyway, I am thinking a 50K for my 50th birthday, so that would be late 2023, but I am flexible on that. I need to find the right race.

Thank you!

I also do hiking, mostly with my husband - we like to go on big vacations to national parks and hike, hike, hike. The advantage of trail running over hiking is just that you get places faster. :) But my husband will never run, so we'll be hiking together, and that's fine.
My Hubby does run a little. i can get him to do the half at Disney but generally he prefers the hiking.

We just took a long weekend to Asheville and hiked 18.5 miles in two days. Day hiking. I still have to do my overnight backpack hike. Never slept in a tent anywhere. Hubby did it back in his college days.

My BIL has hiked on the NCT, and granted, I'm basing this off some comments he made about it and I have no idea what the course is (and the NCT is pretty big) but I am under the impression that the NCT can be quite hilly as well?

My BIL has hiked on the NCT, and granted, I'm basing this off some comments he made about it and I have no idea what the course is (and the NCT is pretty big) but I am under the impression that the NCT can be quite hilly as well?

The NCT is like a 1000 miles or more in length....it is long. I've run sections of it in Clarion County, PA and also around Petoskey, MI. Just within Clarion County, there are some sections that are relatively flat and non-technical and some sections that are quite hilly and rocky. The part that I ran near Petoskey was on the flatter side of the scale. But I don't know where in Michigan they run the trail races on it - I think the NCT basically spans the length of Michigan from south to north.

Yes. I am completely ignorant of the scope of the NCT. HAHA!

So I googled the race, and it looks like where they do the trail race would be around 75-90min south west of Traverse City, and probably about the same north west of Grand Rapids. The half marathon gains 2417ft, the marathon gains 4322, the 50mi gains 6968ft, and the 50k gains 4545. I hate hills, so looking at the elevation graph it looks very not fun to me. :crazy:

So I googled the race, and it looks like where they do the trail race would be around 75-90min south west of Traverse City, and probably about the same north west of Grand Rapids. The half marathon gains 2417ft, the marathon gains 4322, the 50mi gains 6968ft, and the 50k gains 4545. I hate hills, so looking at the elevation graph it looks very not fun to me. :crazy:

Yes, it starts at the trailhead near Wellston, Mi in the Manistee National Forest. I have done the half and while it was hilly, I didn't feel like it was that bad, definitely manageable, especially if you just take it easy and hike up the hills. And the finisher medal is HUGE, like the size of a dinner plate!

I know you've mentioned the NCT races and Marquette. When are they? For me, timing with the seasonal temperature is pretty much the most important thing.

They are both in August and tend to sell out. Downside is August could be hot still.

Anyway, I am thinking a 50K for my 50th birthday, so that would be late 2023, but I am flexible on that. I need to find the right race.

I was thinking I'd like to do a 50K sometime before I turn 50 or for my 50th as well. I've got another 3 years before 50, so I'm just going to try and pick a time when I know I can adequately train well.

Yes, it starts at the trailhead near Wellston, Mi in the Manistee National Forest. I have done the half and while it was hilly, I didn't feel like it was that bad, definitely manageable, especially if you just take it easy and hike up the hills. And the finisher medal is HUGE, like the size of a dinner plate!

They are both in August and tend to sell out. Downside is August could be hot still.

I was thinking I'd like to do a 50K sometime before I turn 50 or for my 50th as well. I've got another 3 years before 50, so I'm just going to try and pick a time when I know I can adequately train well.

Yeah, August is a big "NOPE". I just have been realizing how much any kind of warmth turns my races into death marches, and when I only race 2 - 3 times per year, I don't want to waste my effort that way. Plus an August race means peak training in July here, which would be absolutely miserable.

Too bad. I remember you saying you really liked the NCT races.

Yeah, August is a big "NOPE"

HAHA, I totally understand that. I'm not sure if a spring race is smart for me because I would then need to train on trails in the winter, which can be tricky. The snow is sometimes just too deep for a long run, then you get into late winter and the trails turn to ice, and then in the spring they will sometimes close my local trails because they are too wet. So it makes the most sense for me to pick a late summer or fall race so I can properly train on trails.

Week of Apr. 25 - May 1, 2022

This is a recovery week for me - no running.

Monday after work: walk outside
  • time: 1:33:58
  • distance: 4.52 mi
  • average pace: 20:47
  • Forest Glen Annex and Rock Creek Trail
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: foam rolling and stretching
  • In evening: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I lost 6-1, 6-3
Wednesday after work: walk on treadmill
  • time: 1:27:32
  • distance: 4.48 mi
  • average pace: 19:32
  • incline: 4%
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: Workout 4
    • 3 x 5 (each leg) single-leg glute bridge, 35 lb
    • 3 x 5 bent-over reverse-grip dumbbell rows, 25 lb per arm
    • 3 x 2 (each side) push-up into side plank with hands on med balls, 20 lb vest
    • 3 x 5 hamstring slide curls
    • 3 x 5 bent-over lat raises, 15 lb per arm
  • After work: walk on treadmill
    • time: 1:25:46
    • distance: 4.64 mi
    • average pace: 18:29
Friday in evening: walk on treadmill
  • time: 1:25:49
  • distance: 4.76 mi
  • average pace: 18:29
Saturday
  • After breakfast: 2-hr tennis doubles practice
  • After dinner: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I lost 6-2, 6-4
Sunday before dinner: walk on treadmill
  • time: 1:26:00
  • distance: 4.99 mi
  • average pace: 17:14

Health

I got approved for my next round of physical therapy. The headache has been about the same.

Week of May 2 - 8, 2022

This is a recovery week for me - no running.

Monday after work: walk on treadmill
  • time: 1:28:46
  • distance: 5.17 mi
  • average pace: 17:10
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: Workout 1
    • 3 x 5 squat, 20 lb vest + 60 lb
    • 3 x 1 unassisted pull-up
    • 3 x 5 lat pull-down, 42 lb band
    • 3 x 5 bench press, 65 lb
    • 3 x 5 cable pull-through, 23 lb band
    • 3 x 5 shoulder press, 25 lb each arm
  • After work: walk on treadmill
    • time: 1:26:49
    • distance: 5.1 mi
    • average pace: 17:01
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: Running RewiredTwist the Spine routine
    • 10 (each leg) twisted warrior
    • 40 medball twist (no weight)
    • 40 ball bridge twist
    • 2 x 20 swiss ball tuck twist
    • 3 x 10 (each direction) butt scoots
    • 10 (each side) super swiss side plank
    • 20 (each side) thread the needle plank
    • 10 (each side) long arm band squat
    • 2 x 10 hang spine twist
  • After work: walking hill repeats
    • time: 1:00:48
    • distance: 3.6 mi
    • average pace: 16:55
    • elevation gain: 318 ft
    • route: Forest Glen Annex
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: Workout 2
    • 3 x 5 (each side) one-leg squat on bench, 20 lb vest
    • 3 x 5 (each side) lawnmower, 37.5 lb
    • 3 x 5 push-up, 20 lb vest
    • 3 x 5 (each side) hamstring curl, 13 lb band
    • 3 x 5 parallel bar dips
  • After work: walk
    • time: 1:26:46
    • average pace: 17:01
    • elevation gain: 154 ft
    • route: Sligo Creek Trail
Friday
  • Before breakfast: Running RewiredTwist the Spine routine
    • 40 medball twist (no weight)
    • 40 ball bridge twist
    • 10 (each side) super swiss side plank
    • 10 (each side) long arm band squat
    • 2 x 10 hang spine twist
  • After dinner: walk on treadmill
    • time: 44:23
    • distance: 2.6 mi
    • average pace: 17:04
Saturday
  • Before lunch: walk on treadmill
    • time: 1:26:47
    • distance: 5.22 mi
    • average pace: 16:38
  • After dinner: 2-hr tennis doubles practice
Sunday before dinner: walk on treadmill
  • time: 1:27:38
  • distance; 5.32 mi
  • average pace: 16:28

Health

The headache continues. I'm still going to physical therapy.

Week of May 9 - 15, 2022
I have a short-term and long-term plan for my next running and races. The important consideration for me is that we're rapidly heading for summer and the heat and humidity kill me when I'm running. So short-term, I am planning to do a trail 10k on June 25: The Blue Crab Bolt @Seneca Creek.

Long-term, I want to do a 25K or 30K in the late fall or winter so that it will be cold on race day wherever I am racing. At the moment, I am looking at the Lake Norman State Park 30K Trail Race in North Carolina on Dec. 3. Website: https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=91323 This would give me a long training time, which I think will be good, and it will let me do the longer training runs in the fall when it is cooler.

Also, it will give me time to concentrate on my tennis in July and August. One of the teams that I captained earlier in 2022 won our local league, which means we have "Sectional" play-offs in the last weekend of August - these play-offs have the winning-league teams from Maryland, DC, Virginia, and West Virginia. It's a big deal and we've never advanced before, so we want to be able to practice a lot. Also, as captain, it will be more organizational work for me.

@DopeyBadger , I have a question for you. Previously in the (few) training plans that I've put together, I've generally done 4-week cycles with the weeks building in running time and length of the long run until the 4th week, when it is a cut-back week. I may have enough time that I can choose to do 3-week cycles instead of 4-week. The advantage is that it's easier on the body. Are there any disadvantages except for the fact that the entire training plan will have to be longer?

This week of running has been a very rude reminder about how much the heat and humidity really make my effort level go way up. I know I will adjust at least a bit, but my HR was much higher than usual for the pace. Grrr.

Monday after work: walk on treadmill
  • time: 43:59
  • distance: 2.6 mi
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: Workout 3
    • 3 x 5 goblet squat, 20 lb vest + 50 lb
    • 3 x 1 unassisted chin-up
    • 3 x 5 reverse-grip lat pull-down, 42 lb band
    • 3 x 5 close-grip bench press, 65 lb
    • 3 x 5 (each leg) single-leg swiss ball hamstring curl
    • 3 x 5 arnold press, 20 lb per arm
  • After work:
    • 20 min easy + 5 x (30 sec hard + 30 sec walk) + 20 min easy
      • T+D 104, 0.5% effect, T 72 F
      • time: 45:39
      • distance: 3.8 mi
      • hard segment splits: 8:02, 8:38, 8:54, 8:09, 7:54
      • route: Sligo Creek Trail
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: Running Rewired: Twist the Spine routine
    • 50 medball twist (no weight)
    • 40 ball bridge twist
    • 15 (each side) super swiss side plank
    • 15 (each side) long arm band squat
    • 3 x 10 hang spine twist
  • After work:
    • 40 min tempo ramps
      • T+D 119, 1% effect, T 68 F
      • time: 40:10
      • distance: 3.7 mi
      • average pace: 10:51
      • splits: 11:20, 10:39, 10:36, 10:47
      • elevation gain: 282 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: new loop around the neighborhood
      • comments: These splits were quite similar to those at the end of my last training cycle, except for the first mile.
Thursday
  • Before breakfast:
    • Workout 4
      • 3 x 5 (each leg) single-leg glute bridge, 35 lb
      • 3 x 5 bent-over reverse-grip dumbbell rows, 25 lb per arm
      • 3 x 2 (each side) push-up into side plank with hands on medicine balls, 20 lb vest
      • 3 x 5 hamstring slide curls
      • 3 x 5 bent-over lat raises, 15 lb per arm
    • Foam rolling and streteching
  • In evening: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I won 6-4, 6-7 in a timed-out match
Friday
  • Before breakfast: Running Rewired: Twist the Spine routine
    • 50 medball twist (no weight)
    • 40 ball bridge twist
    • 15 (each side) super swiss side plank
    • 15 (each side) long arm band squat
    • 3 x 10 hang spine twist
  • After work:
    • 40 min easy on trail
      • T+D 129, 2% effect, T 70 F
      • time: 40:01
      • distance: 3.02 mi
      • average pace: 13:15
      • splits: 13:23, 13:25, 12:55
      • ave HR: 144 BPM - above my target range
      • elevation gain: GPS gave a bogus number
      • route: Northwest Branch Trail
      • comments: Blech. The run did not feel as hard as the HR indicated it was.
Saturday
  • Before lunch: walk on treadmill
    • time: 1:26:18
  • Before dinner:
    • 40 min easy on trail
      • T+D 133, 2.5% effect, T 68 F
      • time: 40:01
      • distance: 2.88 mi
      • splits: 13:53, 14:44, 12:56
      • ave HR: 143 BPM - above my target range
      • elevation gain: 427 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: Western Ridge Trail, Rock Creek National Park
      • comments: This run definitely felt more humid than the previous day's run.
Sunday before dinner:
  • 60 min LR on trail
    • T+D 144, 4%, T 81 F. Blech!
    • time: 1:00:01
    • distance: 4.61 mi
    • splits: 12:45, 12:35, 12:46, 14:03, 12:51
    • ave HR: 154 BPM - just above my target range
    • elevation gain: 167 ft (uncorrected)
    • route: Valley Trail, Rock Creek National Park
    • comments: I felt like I was going so slowly, but my HR was so high. Summer running really sucks!

Health

The headache continues. My PT is really working the massage-aspect pretty hard. It feels like she's hitting the spot, but it's hard to say if it's helping with the headache.

@DopeyBadger , I have a question for you. Previously in the (few) training plans that I've put together, I've generally done 4-week cycles with the weeks building in running time and length of the long run until the 4th week, when it is a cut-back week. I may have enough time that I can choose to do 3-week cycles instead of 4-week. The advantage is that it's easier on the body. Are there any disadvantages except for the fact that the entire training plan will have to be longer?

Certainly it can work in theory. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a training plan that follows a two up, one down pattern. But I don't see why it absolutely couldn't work.

My concern would lie in the build length and gentler approach to the build. I'm of the mindset that one can only build in training load for about 12-16 weeks before you start to hit a point where the body doesn't seem to respond to increases the same anymore and you start to see diminishing returns. Whether that's because of the traditional build models following a three up, one down pattern or not is something I'm not 100% on. But I think that is where I might have the most concern. The length of the build may lead to stagnation towards the end. There is also some reason to believe that if the build isn't aggressive enough (as in what you're doing now isn't that much different than what you were doing 4-6 weeks ago), then your body may not respond similarly in gains. That's a training load theory in which there's a window between not enough difference and too much difference that you want to live in during the bulk of the training cycle.

Week of May 16 - 22, 2022

This was supposed to be my second training week for my 10K trail race on June 25: the Blue Crab Bolt @Seneca Creek State Park. But it turned into the week of covid for me.

I had a phlegmmy throat and a headache that felt more like a "cold headache" and not my usual headache last Sunday. I tested negative on a rapid test at home, but since I do interact with students, I felt that I should be sure and I got a PCR test that afternoon. Spoiler alert: it came back positive the next afternoon.

I have been fortunate that my covid experience has been uncomfortable and annoying (rather than terrifying and life-threatening) because I am fully vaccinated. So here's the week.

Monday
  • Covid:
    • I was hoping Sunday night when I went to bed that I had a regular cold or even just nothing. But covid said "hello" right after I got up in the morning...fewer than 10 minutes after getting up, I was brushing my teeth and my blood pressure crashed, and I totally fainted and fell into the walk-in shower in the bathroom. (I got woozy and low BP with my booster, but hadn't remembered.) Fortunately my husband was around and I hadn't hit my head or anything vital, but it took about 30 minutes of laying in the bathroom before my BP got high enough so that I could get up and make it back to the bed. About another 30 minutes there before I could get up again.
    • I decided that this was enough of a sign of covid that I shouldn't go to school to proctor my final exam. Fortunately I had arranged a sub just in case. But upsetting not to be able to see my students for the last time. Spent the afternoon grading final exams.
    • I got the PCR results in the afternoon, and I was positive. My symptoms were like a mild cold: a phlegmmy throat, a bit of a stuffy nose, headache, and the lymph nodes behind my ears were sore (I get this with colds, usually); could hardly sleep at night
  • Exercise
    • Walk around the neighborhood with my husband
    • Walk on treadmill before dinner
      • time: 1:27:04
      • distance: 4.25 mi
      • average pace: 20:29
Tuesday
  • Covid: symptoms like a bad cold - gunky throat, stuffy and runny nose, bad headache, lymph nodes very sore; still trouble getting much sleep. I missed our end-of-academic-year party in our department.
  • Exercise
    • Two walks around the neighborhood with my husband
      • time: 44:11
      • distance: 2.14 mi
      • average pace: 20:39
Wednesday
  • Covid: still like a bad cold with all the Tuesday symptoms and adding a cough
  • Exercise
      • time: 43:58
      • distance: 2.14 mi
      • average pace: 20:33
Thursday
  • Covid: a lot of improvement over the day as the gunky throat, stuffy nose, and headache dissipated; the cough got worse. I missed our commencement celebration for our graduating students, which really sucks because I'm their academic advisor.
  • Exercise
      • time: 44:24
      • distance: 2.15 mi
      • average pace: 20:39
Friday
  • Covid: For most of the day, symptoms disappeared. But around sunset, I started getting sinus pain and pressure and a really horrible sinus headache that lasted until bedtime, along with a bit of a stuffy nose. I missed our college commencement ceremony, for which I was a marshal, since I'm the academic advisor for our department.
  • Exercise
    • One walk around the neighborhood with my husband
      • time: 1:26:54
      • distance: 4.22 mi
      • average pace: 20:36
Saturday
  • Covid: in the morning I got a really killer (non-sinus) headache, which lessened to a relatively normal headache level for me by lunchtime. The afternoon was good, and then in the evening, I got a repeat of the horrible sinus headache and slightly stuff nose.
  • Exercise
    • One walk around the neighborhood with my husband
      • time: 1:27:35
      • distance: 4.27 mi
      • average pace: 20:31
Sunday
  • Covid: I did an at-home test that came back positive. I seemed to have no symptoms, but then the killer sinus headache and stuffy nose showed up mid-afternoon then went away by dinner - fortunately it seems to respond to ibuprofen. As I write this Sunday evening, I may feel a repeat of the sinus headache coming.
  • Exercise
    • Walk on treadmill before dinner:
      • time: 1:26:59
      • distance: 4.24 mi
      • average pace: 20:31
Overall, my symptoms have been mostly cold-like, but they really seemed to change in strength and appear/disappear rapidly. Throughout the week, I've definitely felt "off" in addition to these symptoms - I sometimes almost felt dizzy and other times like I was lacking coordination. I track my BP and HR daily, and by BP has been unusually high for me after my Monday fainting episode. My HR at that time has also been up.

I have no idea if I'm going to notice any effects when I start running or playing tennis or lifting weights again. At least since my 10K race in June is not a goal race for me, I haven't been worried about missing runs - I've just adapted my plan to do easy runs that ramp up to the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!