avondale training journal, starting Dec. 2018 (comments welcome)

Week of July 5 - 11, 2021

This was the tenth week of my training plan. This plan includes the following races:
  • Crow Vineyard 5k, July 30, "C" race
    • Planning to run this very easy as part of my taper
  • Allegheny Front Trail Race (I am doing the 14-miler), August 7, "A" race
  • Cherry Blossom 10-Mile Run (I deferred my 2020 entry to 2021, and then the April 2021 race got postponed to September!), September 12, "C" race
    • Planning to run this in about 2 hours as an easy long run
  • Virtual Boston Marathon, October 8/9/10, "B" race
I tried to take 1 - 2 walks around the neighborhood on weekdays when I could.

My husband and I traveled to visit my mother, my sister, and her son from the afternoon of July 1 - morning of July 5. Then we went to Petoskey MI (on Little Traverse Bay) for a vacation with my husband's family from July 10 - 18. I have again shifted and adapted my training schedule for the travel and also to accommodate my sprained ankle recovery.

Monday before dinner: 90-min random incline walk on treadmill - every 5 min, I used a random number generator to choose the incline, between 0 - 15%.

Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: legs and pull-ups workout and foam rolling and stretching
    • 2 x 12 weighted glute bridge (30 lb)
    • 2 x 8 pull-ups (2 unassisted)
    • 2 x 12 dumbbell swings (30 lb)
    • 2 x 8 chin-ups (2 unassisted)
    • 2 x 12 ea one-leg squat
    • 2 x 8 close-grip pull-ups (2 unassisted)
    • 2 x 12 goblet squats (30 lb)
    • 2 x 16 superman/banana X
    • 22 each single-leg step-ups
  • Before dinner: 90-min random incline walk on treadmill - every 5 min, I used a random number generator to choose the incline, between 0 - 15%.
Wednesday before dinner:
  • 50 min easy
    • T+D 158, 6% effect🥵🥵🥵; T 90 F
    • time: 50:09
    • distance: 4.26 mi
    • average pace: 11:46
    • splits: 11:47, 11:54, 11:21, 11:56, 12:19
    • ave HR: 138 BPM - within my target range
    • elevation gain: 112 ft (uncorrected)
    • route: Sligo Creek Trail
    • comments: This was my first run since I sprained my ankle on Sunday. I bought a neoprene and velcro wrap to wear on it while running, which felt less clunky than the usual ACE bandage that I wear otherwise. The run went very well.
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: upper body workout
    • 2 x 16 decline push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 8 pull-ups, 2 unassisted
    • 2 x 10 shoulder presses, 25 lb per arm
    • 2 x 16 military push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 8 chin-ups, 2 unassisted
    • 2 x 14 triceps dips on bench, both feet on swiss ball
    • 2 x 16 wide push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 8 close-grip pull-ups, 2 unassisted
    • 2 x 10 shoulder front raises, 12 lb per arm
    • 2 x 9 push-ups to side plank, both hands on medicine balls
    • 2 x 9 lawnmowers each side, 30 lb
    • 2 x 10 shoulder side raises, 12 lb per arm
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min tempo ramps
      • T+D 146, 4% effect🥵; T 82 F and some light rain
      • time: 50:05
      • distance: 4.61 mi
      • average pace: 10:51
      • splits: 10:57, 10:30, 10:41, 10:58, 11:23
      • elevation gain: 338 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: new loop around the neighborhood
      • comments: I got the concept for this workout in one of my trail running training books, but I think I gave it the name. The idea is to have an incline that is less steep and longer than what would be used for hill repeats - this is a ramp. Then I run with tempo effort up the ramps and easy effort downhill on the other side. With this loop, pretty much one half is uphill and one half is downhill, so it works well. I aimed for a HR around 160 BPM to be in my tempo range. I am hopeful that this workout is going to be really helpful for my trail races.
Friday
  • Before breakfast: core workout
    • 2 x 20 starfish
    • 2 x 20 dead bug
    • 2 x 20 bird dog crunches
    • 2 x 20 isometric quad pushes, 3 sec hold
    • 2 x 20 bicycle crunches with pause
    • 2 x 5 hollow-body holds, 10 sec
    • 2 x 2 side planks, 30 sec
    • 2 x 20 slow double leg lift and lower
  • After dinner: 45-min random incline walk on the treadmill
Saturday before breakfast:
  • 40 min easy
    • T+D 125, 1.5% effect; T 68 F
    • time: 40:02
    • distance: 3.35 mi
    • average pace: 11:57
    • splits: 12:12, 11:38, 11:41, 12:55
    • ave HR: 136 BPM - within my target range
    • elevation gain: 85 ft (uncorrected)
    • comments: I tried this one without the neoprene wrap so that it wouldn't be all sweaty when I had to pack it after the run. This run was on paved surfaces, so
Sunday before lunch:
  • 80 min easy on trail
    • T+D ~ 130, 2% effect; T 72 F
    • time: 1:20:02
    • distance: 5.73 mi
    • average pace: 13:57
    • splits: 15:33, 13:43, 13:57, 14:12, 13:00, 13:07
    • ave HR: 137 BPM - within my target range
    • elevation gain: 463 ft (uncorrected)
    • route: various trails in Petoskey State Park, Michigan
    • comments: This was my first run on a "natural surface" trail since I sprained my ankle. I wore my neoprene wrap. The ankle seemed to do just fine.
    • comments: About 2/3 of the way through, I caught my toe on a root, and took a tumble in the dirt. I got some superficial scrapes ("only a flesh wound") on my legs, but injured my pride more. Fortunately there was no one there to see me.

Health

My ankle sprain seems to be healing quite well. I can't supinate my ankle very well and it's still tender, but I think it's making good progress. As long as I don't have another unlucky accident with it, it should be good. I'm more worried about the first time I have to play tennis on it

My headache and neck pain have been worse this past week. While I do my PT exercises and stretches pretty religiously at home, I wasn't really able to do them at my mother's house. And I can tell. I don't know how much I will be able to do them on this trip, either. I just forget until it's too late and I need sleep.

I had a 150-min long run on trail today. I did a section of the North Country Trail in Michigan. This section was beautiful, being mostly a "tree tunnel". I was doing the run really well and really enjoying it.

With 15 minutes left, I rolled and sprained the same blasted angle as on July 4. I was wearing the neoprene brace that I mentioned, but of course it can't stop everything. My impression from the initial injury and the rest of the day today is that the sprain is worse than the one last week. It's definitely in a somewhat different region around my ankle bone. Sigh.

I probably need to return to running and especially trail running more slowly than I did this past week. @DopeyBadger, can you give me some advice, please?

The 150-min run today was really supposed to be yesterday's run, which would have been 4 weeks prior to the 14-mile trail race. The rest of this week is my peak training week, ending with a 180-min long run next weekend, 3 weeks prior to the race. The 3-hr duration is about how much time I expect the race to take, and I put this in the plan following a trail racing training book I have.

So, after this coming up weekend, I would be tapering until the race on August 7. If I have to take more than a couple days off from running - perhaps a week or 10 days - should I change my taper in any way to try to put in some of the missing runs? Or should I just drop the runs that I miss and jump into the taper at whatever point I can start running again?

Also, if possible, to somewhat replace the missing runs, should I try to get more walking, maybe even inclined walking, done to help give me more time on my feet?

My initial thought is to simply skip the parts of the taper that I miss and take up with it at the date I can start it. Even if I can start running again by the end of the week, I can't see it being wise to do the peak 3-hr long run (especially since it's supposed to be on a trail surface), and this bothers me. (On July 4, I missed the 140-min long run because of the prior sprain, and today's LR turned into 135 min instead of 150 min, so I really have not hit the big runs I was planning to do.)

I think perhaps I am looking for some restraint, especially if you think it's appropriate, so that I don't rationalize myself into running to early on the ankle. Sigh. Thanks!

I am sorry you sprained your ankle again. That really sucks, especially when it is peak training for a race. I am not Billy but i would say less running. Being undertrained is always better than injured. Not that i am super good at following my advice but it is what i would say.

Sorry about the ankle. That sucks. Definitely not Billy either. If it were me, I would try and heal the ankle before I put any additional stress on it. Maybe some hot/cold therapy?

I probably need to return to running and especially trail running more slowly than I did this past week. @DopeyBadger, can you give me some advice, please?

Have you seen a medical professional about it? That's going to be your best bet to get a timetable on returning to run. I've dealt with several ankle injuries over the last couple of years and they seem to linger a lot longer than most of my other injuries I've had. My ankle tendonitis went from August 2018 to March 2019, and my ankle injury from November 2020 is still an issue now in July 2021. That's despite also getting PT treatment along the way. You're better off resting, and doing PT exercises (if advised). Then once you've gotten the green light, then that's when you can figure out the timing of runs between now and race day. You're unlikely to be in peak physical condition, but depending on how much time off you need, you could still be in good condition. However, an ankle injury potentially aggravated by trails in a trail race doesn't sound like a good combo if it hasn't healed.

Thanks for the best wishes, all. I am unlikely to go to a doctor for this when it's just a sprain and I've had so many. There is no indication that it is anything else.

Fortunately today (the next day) it is not looking significantly worse than the previous sprain (in fact, it swelled less) and that one was healing nicely. It was a calculated risk to try running on trails as early as I did, so I will stick more to paved surfaces for a longer time.

Billy, I didn't mean to seem to ask for medical advice. I was more wondering if I should try to compress a full taper into a shorter time or if I should simply jump into the taper wherever it is when I start running. But I will figure something out.

So, after this coming up weekend, I would be tapering until the race on August 7. If I have to take more than a couple days off from running - perhaps a week or 10 days - should I change my taper in any way to try to put in some of the missing runs? Or should I just drop the runs that I miss and jump into the taper at whatever point I can start running again?

Also, if possible, to somewhat replace the missing runs, should I try to get more walking, maybe even inclined walking, done to help give me more time on my feet?
Billy, I didn't mean to seem to ask for medical advice. I was more wondering if I should try to compress a full taper into a shorter time or if I should simply jump into the taper wherever it is when I start running. But I will figure something out.

I think it'll depend on when you can return to running with minimal issues. After you can make that return then you'll know how to adjust. If you feel like you'll be good to go in 5 days or less, then you're probably fine to pick up where you left off. You could play around with the LRs based on when the return to running is. If you end up taking off for more than five days, then that's when you'll start to need to make major adjustments. I'd personally err on the side of caution this close to race day. Better to be healthy than to be injured and trained. So if that means skipping out on the last long run, then so be it. I'd be wary of moving it to 2 weeks out unless you really really feel the need for it. Even a 66-75% max LR on 2 weeks out would be sufficient (if that's not already what you're scheduled to do).

I think it'll depend on when you can return to running with minimal issues. After you can make that return then you'll know how to adjust. If you feel like you'll be good to go in 5 days or less, then you're probably fine to pick up where you left off. You could play around with the LRs based on when the return to running is. If you end up taking off for more than five days, then that's when you'll start to need to make major adjustments. I'd personally err on the side of caution this close to race day. Better to be healthy than to be injured and trained. So if that means skipping out on the last long run, then so be it. I'd be wary of moving it to 2 weeks out unless you really really feel the need for it. Even a 66-75% max LR on 2 weeks out would be sufficient (if that's not already what you're scheduled to do).

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about. I already decided that I'm going to have to dump the 180-min LR. Part of the point of that run was to do it on a trail. To some extent, the trail surface makes it easier because there is more variation of pace (walking the uphills, etc.). If I moved it to 2 weeks out and did it on a paved surface, that would be way more effort.

I'm sure I can finish the race with whatever training I end up with, but I'd like to keep the effort as far from "death march" level as possible. So we'll see what I end up with.

The good thing is that I did 135 min of my 150-min LR feeling quite good, so that's a positive. The race will depend on how much harder I try to push.

I am going to take 3 whole days off from running (versus 1 day) with the prior sprain, and I'm going to take a longer time off from trail running than I did previously. I'm doing a lot of walking.

Week of July 12 - 18, 2021

This was the eleventh week of my training plan. This plan includes the following races:
  • Cherry Blossom 10-Mile Run (I deferred my 2020 entry to 2021, and then the April 2021 race got postponed to September!), September 12, "C" race
I was on vacation with my DH's family in Petoskey, MI all of this week, so my usual schedule and activities were all different.

Monday after breakfast:
  • 150min LR on trail
    • T+D ~ 136, 2.5% effect; T 73 F
    • time: 2:16:15
    • distance: 9.59 mi
    • average pace: 14:13
    • splits: 16:02, 13:55, 14:38, 12:25, 12:53, 14:34, 15:24, 15:24, 12:50, 13:55
    • ave HR: 141 BPM - below my target range
    • elevation gain: 1106 ft (uncorrected)
    • route: North Country Trail, starting north from Rupp Rd in Michigan
    • comments: I only had 15 MINUTES LEFT in this dang run when I rolled my left ankle again. I had been feeling really good about the run to that point and had not had any problems with the ankle or anything else. I am not sure if I stepped on something the wrong way or if it just gave out, but I took a good tumble into the bushes on the side of the trail. I was wearing the neoprene wrap to try to support the ankle some, but obviously it can't work miracles.
    • comments: I had my new first aid kit, so I had some ibuprofen to take immediately. I had to walk about 1.4 miles back to the car at a pace of about 34 min/mi.
    • comments: While everything had been going well, I ate about 200 cal of Goldfish, 100 cal of Swedish Fish, and 160 cal of GU blocks in 5 different meals, starting about 30 min into the run. I was wearing my new Salomon Advanced Skin 8 hydration vest, and I drank almost 1 L of water after the food and I had 1.5 L of water + Nuun for drinking at other times - I finished about 75% of this. I really like the new hydration vest.
It was hard to tell how bad the ankle sprain was. I think the immediate ibuprofen and the fact that it was wrapped kept it from swelling up much. On the other hand, the wrap around my leg above the ankle really yanked on things and I got bruising underneath where it was. I iced and kept it compressed for the next several days. It did not bruise up as much as the previous sprain, but even a week later as I write this, the "knob" of my ankle bone tends to be wider and protrudes more. The ankle bone and the area right around it is still pretty sensitive to pressure.

At any rate, I decided after the sprain to take Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday completely off from running, and that I wouldn't run on a non-paved surface again until the following weekend (July 24). Since this week was my peak training week for my August 7 race, this means I skipped my longest training run of 180 minutes.

Tuesday after lunch: 4-mi walk with my husband on the Little Traverse Wheelway, which runs by where we were staying

Wednesday
  • After lunch: 3-mi hike with my husband at Petoskey State Park - the trails where I had run the previous Saturday
  • After dinner: 1.25-mi walk with my husband around the resort complex where we were staying
Thursday at midday: 4.5-mi hike with my husband up and back the Bear River Trail in Petoskey

Friday
  • Before breakfast:
    • 50 min easy
      • T+D 120 at end, 1% effect; T 55 F at beginning
      • time: 50:01
      • distance: 4.23 mi
      • average pace: 11:50
      • splits: 11:46, 11:57, 11:43, 11:51, 12:06
      • ave HR: 133 BPM - within my target range
      • elevation gain: 112 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: Little Traverse Wheelway
      • comments: I wore the neoprene wrap. No problems.
  • After lunch: 2-mi hike with husband at Pond Hill Farms outside of Petoskey
Saturday
  • Before breakfast:
    • 60 min easy
      • T+D 112, 1% effect; T 57 F
      • time: 1:00:01
      • distance: 5.09 mi
      • average pace: 11:47
      • splits: 12:02, 11:52, 11:25, 11:38, 11:57, 12:03
      • ave HR: 136 BPM - within my target range
      • elevation gain: 72 ft (uncorrected)
  • After lunch: 6-mi walk with my husband on a different section of the LIttle Traverse Wheelway
Sunday before breakfast:
  • 60 min easy
    • T+D 118, 1% effect; T 61 F
    • time: 1:00:02
    • distance: 4.97 mi
    • average pace: 12:04
    • splits: 12:30, 11:54, 11:51, 12:14, 11:52
    • ave HR: 139 BPM - within my target range
    • elevation gain: 213 ft (uncorrected)
At this point, I plan to not use the neoprene wrap for runs on paved surfaces this week. I will use it for trail runs next weekend.

I am going to jump into my training plan where I left off, which is now in a taper. I will not do any trail running during the week. Hopefully the ankle will continue to improve.

This past Friday I started doing some mobility movements for my ankle to try to regain some range of motion as it's healing: ankle circles, plantar/dorsiflexion, supination/pronation, writing the alphabet. Previously I had rather good ankle mobility, but of course now it is tight.

Health

My headache was somewhat worse this past week. The pillow on the bed in the rental house did not agree with my neck, which caused issues, I tried various different strategies and came up with something that worked better the last few nights, but not soon enough. I did do a lot of my neck and other stretches for home PT while I was away. I'm still going to PT now that I'm home.

Week of July 19 - 25, 2021

This was the twelfth week of my training plan. This plan includes the following races:

Monday
  • Before breakfast: foam rolling and stretching
  • Before dinner:
    • 30-min run on treadmill: 2.5 miles at 12:00 min/mi
    • 52-min random incline walk on the treadmill
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: legs and pull-ups workout and foam rolling and stretching
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min tempo ramps
      • T+D 148, 4.5% effect🥵; T 90 F and some light rain
      • time: 50:01
      • distance: 4.74 mi
      • average pace: 10:33
      • splits: 10:32, 10:06, 10:24, 10:08, 11:53
      • elevation gain: 351 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: new loop around the neighborhood
      • comments: My average pace on this was noticeably higher than from two weeks before, despite a somewhat higher T+D.
      • comments: I got the concept for this workout in one of my trail running training books, but I think I gave it the name. The idea is to have an incline that is less steep and longer than what would be used for hill repeats - this is a ramp. Then I run with tempo effort up the ramps and easy effort downhill on the other side. With this loop, pretty much one half is uphill and one half is downhill, so it works well. I aimed for a HR around 160 BPM to be in my tempo range. I am hopeful that this workout is going to be really helpful for my trail races.
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: core workout and foam rolling and stretching
    • 2 x 20 starfish
    • 2 x 20 dead bug
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • T+D 144 4% effect; T 82 F; light rain for most of run
      • time: 50:06
      • distance: 4.23 mi
      • average pace: 11:51
      • splits: 11:48, 11:55, 11:36, 11:51, 12:50
      • ave HR: 142 BPM - at the top of my target range
      • elevation gain: 75 ft (uncorrected)
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: upper body workout
    • 2 x 16 decline push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 8 pull-ups, 2 unassisted
    • 2 x 10 shoulder presses, 25 lb per arm
    • 2 x 16 military push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 8 chin-ups, 2 unassisted
    • 2 x 14 triceps dips on bench, both feet on swiss ball
    • 2 x 16 wide push-ups, one leg raised
    • 2 x 8 close-grip pull-ups, 2 unassisted
    • 2 x 10 shoulder front raises, 12 lb per arm
    • 2 x 9 push-ups to side plank, both hands on medicine balls
    • 2 x 9 lawnmowers each side, 30 lb
    • 2 x 10 shoulder side raises, 12 lb per arm
  • Before dinner:
    • 60 min easy
      • T+D 131, 3.5% effect; T 81 F
      • time: 1:00:02
      • distance: 5.24 mi
      • average pace: 11:27
      • splits: 11:04, 11:51, 11:38, 11:26, 11:08, 11:58
      • ave HR: 143 BPM - above my target range, but I did strides
      • elevation gain: 43 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: Rock Creek Trail
      • comments: I did 6 strides in the last 2 miles.
Friday
  • After dinner:
    • 45-min random incline walk on the treadmill
    • 30-min treadmill run: 2.5 miles at 12:00 min/mi
Saturday
  • After breakfast: 2-hr tennis practice
  • Before dinner:
    • 80 min easy on trail
      • T+D 146, 4% effect 🥵; rained off and on
      • time: 1:20:01
      • distance: 6.05 mi
      • average pace: 13:14
      • splits: 12:29, 11:31, 14:51, 13:49, 14:08, 12:32, 13:04
      • ave HR: 145 BPM - above my target range
      • elevation gain: 344 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: Valley Trail, Rock Creek National Park
      • comments: The run didn't feel that hard, but I couldn't keep my HR down at the end.
Sunday before dinner:
  • 150 min LR on trail
    • T+D 161, 6% effect 🥵🥵🥵🥵; T 88 F at start
    • time: 2:30:02
    • distance: 9.5 mi
    • average pace: 15:47
    • splits: 13:25, 14:32, 14:38, 15:42, 16:00, 16:24, 14:36, 17:59, 17:50, 17:45
    • ave HR: 149 BPM - within my target range
    • elevation gain: 627 ft (uncorrected)
    • route: various trails in Seneca Creek State Park - Lake Shore Trail, Long Draught Trail, Mink Trail, Seneca Greenway
    • comments: The T+D really crushed me today. I think I was still dehydrated a bit from yesterday's activities. My ears plugged up around miles 5 - 6, which is also about when my feet started squishing in my shoes because of all the sweat. I mostly walked the last ~3 miles.
    • comments: I took and ate about 200 cal of Goldfish, 100 cal of Swedish Fish, 160 cal of Gu Blocks evenly spaced in time throughout the run. I took 1 L of water and 1.5 L of water with Nuun for electrolytes, and drank most of this.
    • comments: The trails were nice, but they were not well marked, especially the Seneca Greenway. It's a popular area, so there are a lot of social trails and there are other trails in the network, and the intersections are poorly marked. Various maps that I had didn't have all the trails. The blazes were not placed very usefully. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where I was and where to go and actually ended up on a spur trail that wasn't what I intended, but it worked out OK.
    • comments: I did NOT sprain my ankle! A small victory!
    • comments: I got chocolate milk and then a diet soda to drink on my drive home. Even so, my abs and assorted muscles in my thighs really wanted to cramp up for a couple hours after. Ab cramps really aren't fun.

Health

My ankle has really been improving. Getting through these last two trail runs was good, because now I will be on pavement for awhile and that should let it heal more.

My headache has not been good this weekend, probably because of the relative dehydration. It was bad when I woke up this morning. Blah. I am on my last six PT visits and my therapist is worried that I won't get approved for more visits, so she has decided to space these out to see how I feel with fewer visits (and thus less time with her manual manipulation/massage). I have exercises that I am doing at home - they are mostly strengthening of minor back/shoulder muscles and only a few stretches.

I have the Crow Vineyard 5k this Saturday (on July 31, not July 30 as I've been putting in my log entries prior to today). I am doing this with some tennis friends who probably will be walking it or run/walk-ing it.

I'm getting the itch to race it but, I don't want to unduly wear myself out before my goal race on August 7. @DopeyBadger, would you please give me your thoughts on this?

I could:
  • Run the 5k at an easy pace, which would probably be about 12:00 min/mi
  • Run the 5k at something like a LR pace, maybe about 11:00 min/mi
  • Run the first 2 miles easy, then race the last mile
  • Race the whole thing
Part of this depends on how the surface affects me. It's supposed to be quite flat, with a surface of packed dirt or grass - I think it's literally through and around the vineyards. Weather: the race is at 6:00pm. Current forecast is for 77 F and T+D around 130. Probably it will be full sun, since grapes like sunlight.

I think I probably need to be smart and do one of the first two options, but I am waffling.

I'm getting the itch to race it but, I don't want to unduly wear myself out before my goal race on August 7. @DopeyBadger, would you please give me your thoughts on this?

So from the looks of it, you're in the taper. And since you did 150 min on 7/25, I'll assume a two week taper. I will also assume your ankle is fully healed and not an issue (if the ankle is not fully healed or threat of sprain is not very minimal, then I would immediately say do only easy running).

I could:
  • Run the 5k at an easy pace, which would probably be about 12:00 min/mi
  • Run the 5k at something like a LR pace, maybe about 11:00 min/mi
  • Run the first 2 miles easy, then race the last mile
  • Race the whole thing
Part of this depends on how the surface affects me. It's supposed to be quite flat, with a surface of packed dirt or grass - I think it's literally through and around the vineyards. Weather: the race is at 6:00pm. Current forecast is for 77 F and T+D around 130. Probably it will be full sun, since grapes like sunlight.

I think I probably need to be smart and do one of the first two options, but I am waffling.

A 5k does not require much recovery (about 1-2 days at most). So from the standpoint of it occurring 7 days prior to an "A" race, I'm not overly concerned. There's always a risk involved in racing and taking yourself to max capabilities. But I think it's doable to max race it. You will yield very little fitness gains from the race itself given its closeness to the "A" race. So it'll come down to how risky you want to be. Obviously the choices you've laid out are in increasing order of riskiness.

We did an eval some time ago on your T+D racing effect and laid out a cutpoint for you based on your training runs. So I would stick with that prior assessment. If you're over that cutline, I wouldn't race it. If you're under that cutline, then racing it is at least an option.

So from the looks of it, you're in the taper. And since you did 150 min on 7/25, I'll assume a two week taper. I will also assume your ankle is fully healed and not an issue (if the ankle is not fully healed or threat of sprain is not very minimal, then I would immediately say do only easy running).

Actually, it is a 3-week taper. The weekend before the 150-min run was supposed to be 180 minutes, but that would have been less than a week after my second ankle sprain, so that long trail run had to go.

The ankle seems to be OK. I still have a neoprene wrap that I wear on trails (but not pavement). If the surface is rocky, then I definitely won't race the 5k so I don't risk a sprain. If it is dirt and grass as advertised, I'm not concerned about it.

A 5k does not require much recovery (about 1-2 days at most). So from the standpoint of it occurring 7 days prior to an "A" race, I'm not overly concerned. There's always a risk involved in racing and taking yourself to max capabilities. But I think it's doable to max race it. You will yield very little fitness gains from the race itself given its closeness to the "A" race. So it'll come down to how risky you want to be. Obviously the choices you've laid out are in increasing order of riskiness.

I thought I remembered that a 5k was usually a quick recovery.

We did an eval some time ago on your T+D racing effect and laid out a cutpoint for you based on your training runs. So I would stick with that prior assessment. If you're over that cutline, I wouldn't race it. If you're under that cutline, then racing it is at least an option.

Yes, if the weather is as predicted, the T+D is going to be a little high for me, but that generally is a bigger deal for races longer than 5k.

I don't expect that I could get a 5k PR on a non-paved surface and without training for a 5k, so there probably isn't a point to racing it except for some fun. Because of that, I'll probably just see how I'm feeling at the time.

However, I appreciate your analysis, because it tells me that if I do want to race it, I'm not necessarily going to ruin my goal race. Thank you!

Race Report: Run the Vineyard Crow 5k

Yesterday, I ran the Run the Vineyard Crow 5k race in Kennedyville, MD. The draw for this race series is that you get wine after the race. Since I don't drink, this wasn't my motivation - some of my tennis friends were doing it and invited me. This was not a goal race for me, and I did not plan to "race" it.

I got to the vineyard almost an hour early to get my bib and warm up. My friends thought I was "adorable" for warming up, lol. Two of them were planning to walk it and two were just going to run what they could.

We got lucky for mid-summer in Maryland, because it wasn't too hot and it was mostly cloudy. That last part was good, because there was no shade on the course. The temperature was about 77 F and the T+D about 135 at the start time of 6:00pm.

The race course goes around and through fields on the vineyard/farm. We ran around fields with the grapevines, fields of corn and soybeans, and pastures with dairy cows. Oddly enough, the cows like to run along with the runners.

There were only 77 runners, so everything was very casual. Since I had warmed up on part of the course, I knew the footing was annoying, and so I didn't plan to race it hard. Most of the course was mowed field grass, and it was just lumpy and uneven, and the grass made a lot of drag. Once the runners spread out more during the race, it was possible to find the better-packed ground where the tractor usually drives along which was the best surface.

My splits were 10:56, 10:40, 9:28, and 8:59, which was a nice progression and totaled 32:21. I decided that I would just run it how I felt, and the first two miles were really not too tough. I pushed it a bit more for the last 1.1 miles.

My chip time was 32:21, as well. I had looked up the 2019 results, and I knew this might get me in the running for an age group award if the field was similar. Yes - I got first place out of 9 in my age group! That got me a medal (no finisher's medal). I was 24th overall and 10th woman. Not bad for a less-than-full-out effort!

I stayed and ate with my friends at the after-race, but not free, barbecue. It was a pleasant evening!

Week of July 26 - August 1, 2021

This was the thirteenth week of my training plan. This plan includes the following races:
  • Crow Vineyard 5k, July 31, "C" race

Monday
  • After dinner: 45-min random incline walk on the treadmill. I was supposed to have a tennis match, but it got rained out.
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: legs and pull-ups workout
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • 🥵
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: core workout and foam rolling and stretching
    • 2 x 20 starfish
    • 2 x 20 dead bug
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min hard up, easy down on trail
      • T+D 149, 4.5% effect🥵; T 88 F
      • time: 50:02
      • distance: 3.79 mi
      • average pace: 13:11
      • elevation gain: 364 ft (uncorrected)
      • route: Wheaton Loop Trail
      • comments: The idea behind this workout is to run hard on the uphills and then easy on the downhills. This loop route has many hills lengths and inclines.
Thursday after dinner: 2-hr tennis singles match - I got crushed 6-0, 6-0, but our team did win overall.

Friday
  • After dinner: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I lost 6-2, 4-6, 0-1, and our team lost overall, too.
Saturday
Sunday before dinner:
  • 90 min easy on trail
    • T+D 146, 4% effect🥵; T 73 F - nearly 100% humidity, because it had been raining earlier
    • time: 1:30:03
    • distance: 6.38 mi
    • average pace: 14:07
    • splits: 14:07, 13:18, 14:08, 14:57, 13:28, 15:26, 12:15
    • ave HR: 141 BPM - just above my target range
    • elevation gain: 840 ft (corrected)
    • route: Western Ridge Trail, Rock Creek National Park
My target race is coming up on Saturday! Unfortunately the conditions look warmer than I had hoped for, with the T+D ranging from about 135 to 147. Well, there is still time for the weather pattern to change, I hope.

Health

My headache has been up and down. I don't think it's been good to be away from the PT, although I'm going most of my at-home exercises. I think the fact that it's been so hot and humid has dried me out a bit despite my best efforts, and that adds to the severity of the headache, especially in the morning. I have a mild UTI, but fortunately I'll be through the antibiotics several days before the race.

Hemlock Half-Marathon (Allegheny Front Trail Race)

This HM goes along with a 50k that are both run mostly or partly on the Allegheny Front Trail (AFT), which makes a loop in Black Moshannon State Forest near Philipsburg, PA. Both of the races start at the Philipsburg airport, with the 50k starting at 7am and the HM starting at 9am.

This was my goal race for the past few months of training, but life got in the way of doing quite as well as I wanted on it. First, I sprained my ankle on July 4 and July 12, which caused me to miss a couple of my longest runs and other runs on the training plan. My intent had been to have a long run of 180 minutes, which I thought might be similar to my finish time for the race, but instead the longest run I ever got to do was 150 min and that one did not go well at all.

Second, my mother broke her hip one week ago. She was in good health and quite active at the time, so she's had a very good recovery: surgery to put in three screws on Monday and discharge from the hospital on Wednesday. I have come to stay with her for almost three weeks to help her out (and my sister lives next door to her, so she is helping). So it's been stressful to deal with and unfortunately resulted in me getting very little sleep last night before the race.

And of course the race was hot and humid, but I did expect that since it is August. The T+D ranged from about 131 when I started to 145 when I finished. At home, I train in those conditions all the time, but it never seems to help - or rather it doesn't seem to help as much as I would like.

So after all that "poor me", I will get to the race. :)

We started at approximately 9am. Everyone was on gun time, since there was no timing starting mat. The first 0.5 to 0.75 mi or so was on an old, paved runway, which we followed to the fence around the airport and then to a connector trail to the AFT. The rest of the race was on non-paved surfaces and mostly single-track.

I knew that the T+D was going to really crush me, so I was very careful on my pacing at the start so that I didn't go out too fast. I had already planned to walk uphills, but I made sure to really take the steep uphills slowly. I was feeling pretty good through a lot of the first three miles, especially since we went through one of the sections I had run previously.

My stupid left ankle tried to roll on me at about 3.8 miles. I had my neoprene wrap on it, and I caught the roll quickly so it wasn't too bad. It happened on a downhill that wasn't very technical and so I could stretch out my stride a bit - that is how all of the rolls after the first have happened. I realized that I was going to have to be careful of that, which was frustrating. I walked it off for a quarter-mile and the ankle felt OK, so I started running again in the flats and downhills.

The unpleasant T+D soon made itself felt. My left ear got plugged up by mile 6 or 7, which was pretty early for that. I brought 1 L of water and 1.5 L of water + Nuun, and I was alternating them. I had about 500 cal of Goldfish, Swedish fish, and GU blocks; I spaced this out during the race, but couldn't stomach the idea of my second helping of Goldfish and never ate them. My feet started squishing in my shoes at about mile 7 or 8.

By mile 8, I was realizing that I wasn't going to be able to make my 3.5-hr goal. Somewhere in mile 9, I did an easy jump over a fallen log and felt my left hamstring trying to cramp up. I've never gotten any kind of leg cramps in a race, so this concern also made me take it slower. I transitioned to walking more quickly all the time and only doing a small amount of running on less technical flats and downhills.

I did do a good job of pacing in that I had some zip left to be able to run more in the last couple miles - this part of the course was flatter. Even though I did not exactly take this race fast, after the first few miles, I don't feel like I had anyone pass me but I did pass a few other runners. Woot!

I don't yet have the official results - I will edit this paragraph and include them once I do. My Garmin said the course was 13.61 miles (instead of 14) and I had a time of 3:50:21, with an average pace of 16:55.

My official gun time was 3:50:22. I was 41st out of 58 runners in the HM. I was 20th out of 37 women, and 8th out of 14 women aged 40 - 49. The funny part about my age group is that 12 of the 14 women were 40 - 44; I was second-oldest in our age group. (The oldest woman in the group finished first in our age group.) So among women and especially women of similar age, I was a little below the median finisher. I'm definitely happy with that, given all the circumstances and the fact that this was my second trail race ever.

Overall, given my preparation for the race, I am happy with the outcome. I enjoyed a pretty course and did not end up having a death march at the end. Sure, I would like to feel that I will improve on trail races in the future, but this was OK.

Photos! First, me before the race. The next photos are from various areas on the course.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter