avondale training journal, starting Dec. 2018 (comments welcome)

Great work! Always tough to train for months and then get weather like that. Sounds like you made the best of it. You really do need a cold weather race to see what you're truly capable of.

Great race report! I'm sorry you didn't get the time you wanted. It was very unseasonably hot though. I ran the half there the day before and also melted in the heat. Your feelings were about the same as mine. I agree it was a beautiful course, also was wishing for more shade, and I also got a sunburn! The lineup and spacing at the start line were managed a bit better it seems the day before, in my race.

I was wondering how you did in your race!

I saw that they are thinking in the future to go for the second weekend in November, which would generally put it a little later.

They kept talking about how DCNR might cancel the race if the covid protocols weren't followed. I wonder if after your race, since it went off without problems, if they relaxed things a bit.

They announced today that unfortunately there was an SD card problem with the photographs, so there won't be any photos from our race. And I even remembered to smile for the photographer on the course!

They announced today that unfortunately there was an SD card problem with the photographs, so there won't be any photos from our race. And I even remembered to smile for the photographer on the course!
Yeah I saw that and felt so bad for the photographer! I imagine they don't get many opportunities to take/sell race photos these days.

Great race report! I'm sorry you didn't get the time you wanted. It was very unseasonably hot though. I ran the half there the day before and also melted in the heat. Your feelings were about the same as mine. I agree it was a beautiful course, also was wishing for more shade, and I also got a sunburn! The lineup and spacing at the start line were managed a bit better it seems the day before, in my race.

I ran the Bucks half last Saturday as well. I thought the start was well organized - people did seem to be lining up by their bib number on Saturday. And there wasn't too much passing throughout the course, so the strategy of lining us up by expected finish time seemed to work fairly well (although I was near the back so maybe it was different towards the front). The course was very scenic (some of those houses were amazing!), but I agree that more shade would have been welcome. At the refill stations, the water flowed out of the jugs at way to slow a pace (but at least there was water I guess). My only other comment is that the course was very narrow in places, and there were way too many packs of bike riders sharing the course. Most of them were courteous, but there were a few that came close to pushing me off the trail. Overall, it was a good experience, but I'm not sure I'd run it again.

I ran the Bucks half last Saturday as well. I thought the start was well organized - people did seem to be lining up by their bib number on Saturday. And there wasn't too much passing throughout the course, so the strategy of lining us up by expected finish time seemed to work fairly well (although I was near the back so maybe it was different towards the front). The course was very scenic (some of those houses were amazing!), but I agree that more shade would have been welcome. At the refill stations, the water flowed out of the jugs at way to slow a pace (but at least there was water I guess). My only other comment is that the course was very narrow in places, and there were way too many packs of bike riders sharing the course. Most of them were courteous, but there were a few that came close to pushing me off the trail. Overall, it was a good experience, but I'm not sure I'd run it again.
Oh wow that's so funny! I was near the back too. I wonder if we saw each other. I was wearing a kind of tropical print running skirt if you saw me. I didn't stop to refill my water, worrying about losing time, which might have contributed to my heat issue. In fact I'm sure of it. Penny-wise, pound-foolish when it came to time I guess.

We live about an hour away and the first thing I did when I got home was tell DH and DS that we need to go back there just to take a walk. I thought the course was very pretty. Also on my drive there a big, gorgeous buck pranced across the road in front of me and leaped over a 3-4 foot high fence like it was nothing. Just a beautiful day.

Yes, the people on bikes were occasionally annoying. I'm sure there were far more bikers out than usual since the weather was so warm.

Oh wow that's so funny! I was near the back too. I wonder if we saw each other. I was wearing a kind of tropical print running skirt if you saw me. I didn't stop to refill my water, worrying about losing time, which might have contributed to my heat issue. In fact I'm sure of it. Penny-wise, pound-foolish when it came to time I guess.

We live about an hour away and the first thing I did when I got home was tell DH and DS that we need to go back there just to take a walk. I thought the course was very pretty. Also on my drive there a big, gorgeous buck pranced across the road in front of me and leaped over a 3-4 foot high fence like it was nothing. Just a beautiful day.

We probably did see one another. I was 1475 - finished in 2:32 (10 minutes slower than I had hoped, but oh well). I was wearing a camo tank that read "We run free because of the brave" in honor of my husband who is currently deployed in the Middle East. I decided about 5 miles in that it would be a "tourist run" for me. I stopped and took some pics and also stopped twice to fill my water bottles. It definitely is a pretty area. I live over 2 hours away or I'd definitely go back for a walk (or an early morning run)!

@DopeyBadger , if you would give your opinion, please, I would appreciate it.

I have been thinking about getting more into trail running after this marathon, and trail races eventually. I'm privileged where I live to have access to paved trails through greenways, but I would still like to get more "off road", so to speak. There was a meme (that I can't find now) on the Trail Runners reddit that was something like "Road running feels like exercise. Trail running feels like an adventure." - it really hit home. Even though I am slower on trails, I feel stronger and, well, like it's adventure. I also feel like there is less time pressure and more emphasis on enjoying the run.

So I have read a couple starting books on trail running in the past month or so. Using the suggestions in one book in particular, I have developed an 11-week recovery (from my marathon) and trail running base-building plan. It's in the PDF attached. I was hoping that you would give me your opinion of it and make sure there are no big problems.

Comments on it:
  • I've gone with time goals instead of distance goals for each run to emphasize the need to stay in the "easy" range. With the variable terrain, pace goals aren't so good for trail running. My "easy" should be under 140 BPM. The "hard" that is listed later on is supposed to be as hard as I can run and sustain through the intervals.
  • The first 3 weeks are the recovery, so all easy running and only 4 days/wk.
  • The treadmill workout in the first 6 weeks was something specifically suggested for trail running training - basically power-hiking practice and also some harder effort with low impact. I am not sure what my speeds will be for this, so I'll have to experiment. This is also a good one to do in winter, since I wouldn't want to be on the treadmill any other time.
  • After week 2, I've specified that the last 2 runs of the week (most likely on Sat/Sun) should be on trails.
  • The mid-week hill repeat workouts are taken from one of the books. I have a hill in the neighborhood that I think will be good for it.
  • The long runs have intervals in the middle, again suggested by the training book. The "hard" effort is supposed to be hard for whatever terrain I am currently on, since that might be uphill, downhill, etc. Each of these intervals has an equal length of time for recovery after.
  • I tried not to increase each week's running time more than 40 min compared to the week before.
  • Once I started on the base-building part of the plan in week 4, I put in a cut-back week every 4 weeks.
  • The longest long run is 140 min, which I hope to be maybe 11 miles.
Please let me know what you think. If this plan goes well, and depending on what the 2021 race season looks like, I will make a plan based on the books for adding more mileage and maybe think about a trail half-marathon or something. Or maybe I'll decide that I don't like trails so much after all!

Attachments

• trail-base-building.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 6
@DopeyBadger , if you would give your opinion, please, I would appreciate it.

I have been thinking about getting more into trail running after this marathon, and trail races eventually. I'm privileged where I live to have access to paved trails through greenways, but I would still like to get more "off road", so to speak. There was a meme (that I can't find now) on the Trail Runners reddit that was something like "Road running feels like exercise. Trail running feels like an adventure." - it really hit home. Even though I am slower on trails, I feel stronger and, well, like it's adventure. I also feel like there is less time pressure and more emphasis on enjoying the run.

So I have read a couple starting books on trail running in the past month or so. Using the suggestions in one book in particular, I have developed an 11-week recovery (from my marathon) and trail running base-building plan. It's in the PDF attached. I was hoping that you would give me your opinion of it and make sure there are no big problems.

Comments on it:
  • I've gone with time goals instead of distance goals for each run to emphasize the need to stay in the "easy" range. With the variable terrain, pace goals aren't so good for trail running. My "easy" should be under 140 BPM. The "hard" that is listed later on is supposed to be as hard as I can run and sustain through the intervals.
  • The first 3 weeks are the recovery, so all easy running and only 4 days/wk.
  • The treadmill workout in the first 6 weeks was something specifically suggested for trail running training - basically power-hiking practice and also some harder effort with low impact. I am not sure what my speeds will be for this, so I'll have to experiment. This is also a good one to do in winter, since I wouldn't want to be on the treadmill any other time.
  • After week 2, I've specified that the last 2 runs of the week (most likely on Sat/Sun) should be on trails.
  • The mid-week hill repeat workouts are taken from one of the books. I have a hill in the neighborhood that I think will be good for it.
  • The long runs have intervals in the middle, again suggested by the training book. The "hard" effort is supposed to be hard for whatever terrain I am currently on, since that might be uphill, downhill, etc. Each of these intervals has an equal length of time for recovery after.
  • I tried not to increase each week's running time more than 40 min compared to the week before.
  • Once I started on the base-building part of the plan in week 4, I put in a cut-back week every 4 weeks.
  • The longest long run is 140 min, which I hope to be maybe 11 miles.
Please let me know what you think. If this plan goes well, and depending on what the 2021 race season looks like, I will make a plan based on the books for adding more mileage and maybe think about a trail half-marathon or something. Or maybe I'll decide that I don't like trails so much after all!

Seems completely reasonable to me. Given the temps are decreasing the easier should be easier to control, but I'd watch out for the rise in HR mid-run you were seeing during the last training run. Because it may be indicative that you're pushing too hard. Definitely have to ignore pace on trails until you get a good idea about the elevation changes and technical aspects of it. So after a few weeks/months you'll have a better idea what the local paces should be for you based on HR and route.

I agree with the "throw the pace out the window". The varying terrain and obstacles roots/rocks/trees/pine cones/etc) will be challenging enough. Maybe a goal would be to run a specific trail a few times and see if you can run a little further the next time you try it.

From my own experience,, of course, the stride changes constantly (always looking for a safe spot to plant the next foot), the weight balance on my body was constantly changing, I tended to have a wider stance when running (for stability when I tripped over a root or rock...because it will happen eventually), there was a lot of power walking/hiking mixed into the running.

All of tat makes it sound like it is not fun, but I love it!

I agree with the "throw the pace out the window". The varying terrain and obstacles roots/rocks/trees/pine cones/etc) will be challenging enough. Maybe a goal would be to run a specific trail a few times and see if you can run a little further the next time you try it.

From my own experience,, of course, the stride changes constantly (always looking for a safe spot to plant the next foot), the weight balance on my body was constantly changing, I tended to have a wider stance when running (for stability when I tripped over a root or rock...because it will happen eventually), there was a lot of power walking/hiking mixed into the running.

All of tat makes it sound like it is not fun, but I love it!

I have actually done some trail running. I just haven't focused on it. My easy pace tends to be more like 13:00 - 14:00, but I think with more consistent experience that will improve pretty quickly.

Week of Nov. 9 - 15, 2020

This was my first recovery week after the Bucks County Marathon on Nov. 8. No running this week.

Next week I'll be starting the recovery and trail-running base-building plan that I posted previous to this post.

I'm still adding in 1 - 2 short walk breaks on weekdays, as described previously.

Monday after work: 60-min walk on the treadmill

Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: foam rolling and stretching
  • After work: 90-min walk on the treadmill
Wednesday
Thursday
  • After work: 87-min walk on the treadmill
Friday
  • After dinner: 87-min walk on the treadmill
Saturday
  • Before lunch: 2-hr tennis doubles round-robin
  • Before dinner: 5.3-mi walk around the neighborhood
Sunday
  • Before lunch: 1.7-mi walk around the neighborhood
  • Before dinner: 65-min walk on treadmill

Health

No changes...the headache continues.

Week of Nov. 16 - 22, 2020

This was the first week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan

I'm still adding in 1 - 2 short walk breaks on weekdays, as described previously.

Monday
  • Before breakfast: prehab routine (like previous) and foam rolling and stretching
  • In evening: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I won 6-2, 6-2, and our team won overall, too!
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: bodyweight legs and pull-ups
    • 2 x 50 reverse lunges, per leg
    • 2 x 10 pull-ups (2 unassisted)
    • 2 x 20 one-leg step-ups, per leg
    • 2 x 10 chin-ups (2 unassisted)
    • 2 x 20 hamstring curls
    • 2 x 10 close-grip pull-ups (2 unassisted)
    • 2 x 20 glute bridges
    • 2 x 10 supermans
  • After work:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 45 F, WC 37 F
      • time: 41:04
      • distance: 3.23 mi
      • average pace: 12:43
      • splits: 12:43, 12:46, 12:20, 14:10
      • ave HR: 136 BPM - within my target range
      • comments: slow....
      • route: old loop around the neighborhood
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: plyo and 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper
    • 20 squat jumps
    • 3 x 20 toe hops
    • 3 x 12 one-leg hops in plus pattern
    • 20 skaters
  • After work: 90-min walk on treadmill
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: upper body workout
    • 2 x 15 decline push-ups
    • 2 x 8 shoulder presses, 15 lb each arm
    • 2 x 15 military push-ups
    • 2 x 15 tricep dips
    • 2 x 15 wide push-ups
    • 2 x 10 close-grip pull-ups
    • 2 x 15 shoulder front raises, 5 lb each arm
    • 2 x 10 push-ups on medicine balls
    • 2 x 10 one-arm shoulder rows, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 15 shoulder side raises, 5 lb each arm
  • After work: 40-min power-hiking workout on treadmill
    • 5-min 3.0 mph, 0% incline
    • 5-min 3.5 mph, 0% incline
    • 5-min 3.0 mph, 15% incline
    • 5-min 3.1 mph, 15% incline
    • 5-min 3.2 mph, 15% incline
    • 5-min 3.3 mph, 15% incline
    • 5-min 3.5 mph, 0% incline
    • 5-min 3.0 mph, 0% incline
Friday
  • After dinner: 60-min walk on treadmill
Saturday
  • After breakfast: 2-hr tennis doubles round-robin
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • T+D 109, 0.5% correction
      • time: 40:28
      • distance: 4.0 mi
      • average pace: 12:37
      • splits: 12:23, 12:45, 12:32, 12:45
      • ave HR: 142 BPM - above my target range
      • route: Sligo Creek Trail
Sunday
  • Before lunch:
    • 50 min easy
      • T 54 F
      • time: 50:03
      • distance: 4.17 mi
      • average pace: 12:01
      • splits: 11:57, 12:14, 11:49, 12:01, 12:07
      • ave HR: 139 BPM - within my target range
      • comments: this run felt better.
      • route: Rock Creek Trail
  • In afternoon: 2-hr tennis doubles round-robin

Health

I had an appointment with my neurology PA. I'm going to discontinue the injection medicine because it doesn't seem to have helped for my headaches. I'm starting a new oral medicine. We'll see.

Week of Nov. 23 - 29, 2020

This was the second week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan

Monday
Tuesday
    • 2 x 15 decline push-ups
    • 2 x 8 shoulder presses, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 15 military push-ups
    • 2 x 15 tricep dips
    • 2 x 15 wide push-ups
    • 2 x 15 shoulder front raises, 5 lb each arm
    • 2 x 10 push-ups on medicine balls
    • 2 x 10 one-arm shoulder rows, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 15 shoulder side raises, 5 lb each arm
  • After work:
    • 40-min power-hiking workout on treadmill
      • 4-min 3.0 mph, 0% incline
      • 3-min 3.5 mph, 0% incline
      • 3-min 4.0 mph, 0% incline
      • 5-min 3.4 mph, 15% incline
      • 5-min 3.5 mph, 15% incline
      • comments: This workout is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I'm going to add 10 minutes to the high-incline part.
Wednesday afternoon: 90-min walking on trails around Lake Needwood

Thursday
  • Before lunch:
    • 40 min easy
      • T+D 112, 1% correction
      • time: 41:07
      • distance: 3.37 mi
      • average pace: 12:13
      • splits: 12:21, 12:28, 11:55, 11:53
      • cumulative GAP: 9 sec
      • ave HR: 138 BPM - within my target range
  • Afternoon: 40-min walk around the neighborhood
Friday afternoon: 2-hr (5.5 mi) walk on the Muddy Branch Trail

Saturday
  • Before lunch: 2-hr tennis doubles round-robin
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • T 57 F
      • time: 50:02
      • distance: 4.05 mi
      • average pace: 12:21
      • splits: 12:14, 12:31, 12:00, 12:37
      • cumulative GAP: 15 sec
      • ave HR: 140 BPM - at the top of my target range
      • comments: slow...
Sunday
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • T 55 F
      • time: 50:01
      • distance: 4.1 mi
      • splits: 12:06, 12:13, 12:15, 12:24
      • cumulative GAP: 18 sec
      • ave HR: 141 BPM - just above my target range
      • comments: slow...
I'm getting antsy with the short, slow runs. But at the same time, I can tell that my legs are pretty tired, so I'm trying to be patient.

Health

I had a Zoom meeting with my neurology PA. Since the Ajovy injections haven't seemed to help with my headache, I am going to stop those. Now I am going to try adding gabapentin to my cyclobenzaprine and sertraline mix. Gabapentin may cause drowsiness, so I take it before bed. I have been sleeping more soundly this week! No change so far in my headache.

Week of Nov. 30 - Dec. 6, 2020

This was the third week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan. This week finishes the recovery part of the plan, and I have been itching for longer runs even though my legs don't necessarily feel great yet.

Monday
  • After work: 60-min walk on treadmill
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: new legs and pull-ups routine with the legs part based on stuff from trailrunnermag.com
    • 2 x 10ea one-leg glute bridge
    • 2 x 10ea one-leg hamstring curls
    • 2 x 10ea one-leg Romanian deadlift
    • 2 x 10 goblet squats, with 20 lb
    • 1 x 20ea single-leg step-ups
  • After work: 50-min power hiking workout on treadmill
    • 4-min 3.5 mph, 0% incline
    • 5-min 3.0 mph, 15% incline
    • 5-min 3.1 mph, 15% incline
    • 4-min 3.5 mph, 0% incline
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: plyo, 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper, and foam rolling and stretching. Plyo:
    • 20 squat jumps
    • 3 x 20 toe hops
    • 3 x 12 one-leg hops in plus patter
    • 20 side skaters
  • In evening: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I won 6-7, 6-4 in a timed match, and our team won overall, too!
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: prehab routine (like previous) and foam rolling and stretching
  • After work:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 45 F
      • time: 40:01
      • distance: 3.27 mi
      • average pace: 12:14
      • splits: 12:01, 11:51, 12:27, 13:31
      • cumulative GAP: 50 sec
      • ave HR: 136 BPM - within my target range
      • comments: This was a more reasonable pace.
Friday
    • 2 x 16 decline push-ups
    • 2 x 9 shoulder presses, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 16 military push-ups
    • 2 x 16 tricep dips
    • 2 x 16 wide push-ups
    • 2 x 16 shoulder front raises, 5 lb each arm
    • 2 x 11 push-ups on medicine balls
    • 2 x 11 one-arm shoulder rows, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 16 shoulder side raises, 5 lb each arm
  • After dinner: 65-min walk on treadmill
Saturday
  • Before lunch: 45-min walk on treadmill
  • Before dinner:
    • 60min easy on trail
      • T 45 F, WC 37 F
      • time: 1:00:03
      • distance: 4.27 mi
      • average pace: 14:04
      • splits: 13:50, 14:41, 13:47, 13:56, 14:13
      • comments: The trail was quite muddy. It's been awhile since I've been on a trail, and it slowed me down. It was fun, though!
      • route: Northwest Branch Trail
Sunday
  • Before lunch:
    • 50min easy
      • T 41 F, WC 32 F
      • time: 50:02
      • distance: 4.12 mi
      • average pace: 12:08
      • splits: 12:09, 12:37, 11:51, 11:53, 12:32
      • ave HR: 139 BPM - within my target range
      • comments: This was a more reasonable pace.
  • In afternoon: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I lost 6-2, 6-2, and our team lost overall, too.

Health

No changes in my headache unfortunately. Nothing else worth noting.

Week of Dec. 7 - 13, 2020

This was the fourth week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan. This week starting adding some miles, moving up to 5 runs per week.

Monday
  • Before dinner: 90-min walk on the treadmill
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: new legs and pull-ups routine with the legs part based on stuff from trailrunnermag.com
    • 2 x 10ea one-leg glute bridge
    • 2 x 10ea one-leg hamstring curls
    • 2 x 10ea one-leg Romanian deadlift
    • 2 x 10 goblet squats, with 20 lb
  • After work:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 39 F, WC 29 F
      • time: 40:02
      • distance: 3.28 mi
      • splits: 11:56, 12:09, 12:19, 13:11
      • comments: This is starting to feel more normal.
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: plyo, 1/2 P90X2 X2 Ab Ripper, and foam rolling and stretching. Plyo:
    • 20 squat jumps
    • 3 x 20 toe hops
    • 20 side skaters
    • 3-min 3.0 mph, 0% incline
    • 4-min 4.0 mph, 0% incline
    • 5-min 3.6 mph, 15% incline
    • 5-min 3.7 mph, 15% incline
Thursday
    • 2 x 17 decline push-ups
    • 2 x 10 shoulder presses, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 17 military push-ups
    • 2 x 17 tricep dips
    • 2 x 17 wide push-ups
    • 2 x 17 shoulder front raises, 5 lb each arm
    • 2 x 12 push-ups on medicine balls
    • 2 x 12 one-arm shoulder rows, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 17 shoulder side raises, 5 lb each arm
  • After work:
    • 40 min easy
      • T 39 F
      • time: 40:03
      • average pace: 12:15
      • splits: 12:10, 12:13, 12:09, 12:55
      • ave HR: 137 BPM - within my target range
Friday
  • After dinner: 85-min walk on treadmill
Saturday
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy on trail
      • T+D 106, 0.5% correction
      • time: 50:08
      • distance: 3.77 mi
      • average pace: 13:18
      • splits: 13:33, 13:27, 13:01, 13:10
      • ave HR: 140 BPM - within my target range
      • comments: The trail dried off since last week, and so my pace was faster.
Sunday
  • Before dinner:
    • On trail: 25 min easy + 5 x (1 min hard + 1 min easy) + 25 min easy
      • T 54 F
      • time: 1:00:07
      • distance: 4.51 mi
      • average pace: 13:20
      • comments: This trail has some steep hills.
      • route: Cabin John Stream Valley Trail

Health

No changes.

Week of Dec. 14 - 20, 2020

This was the fifth week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan.

Monday
Tuesday
  • Before breakfast: legs and pull-ups routine (like last week)
    • 2 x 11ea one-leg glute bridge
    • 2 x 6ea one-leg hamstring curls
    • 2 x 11ea one-leg Romanian deadlift
    • 2 x 11 goblet squats, with 20 lb
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • T 39 F, WC 34 F
      • distance: 4.19 mi
      • average pace: 11:57
      • splits: 11:53, 12:13, 11:40, 11:52, 12:34
      • cumulative GAP: 20 sec
Wednesday
    • 20 squat jumps
    • 3 x 20 toe hops
    • 20 side skater
Thursday
Friday after work:
  • 40 min easy
    • T 36 F
    • time: 40:01
    • average pace: 12:14
    • splits: 12:16, 12:15, 11:54, 13:15
Saturday
  • After breakfast: 60-min walk on treadmill
  • Before dinner:
    • 60 min easy on trail
      • T 36 F
      • time: 1:01:21
      • distance: 4.43 mi
      • average pace: 13:52
      • splits: 13:37, 14:30, 13:31, 13:49, 13:55
      • ave HR: 143 BPM - above my target range
      • comments: I used my microspikes for the first time this season. The trail was icy and muddy.
Sunday
  • Before lunch: 60-min walk on treadmill
  • On trail: 27 min easy + 7 x (1 min hard + 1 min easy) + 27 min easy
    • T 43 F
    • time: 1:08:07
    • distance: 5.26 mi
    • average pace: 12:57
    • comments: Very muddy.
    • route: Valley Trail of Rock Creek National Park

Health

No changes.

Week of Dec. 21 - 27, 2020

This was the sixth week of my 11-week recovery and trail running base-building plan.

For the first few days I was continuing to add in 1 - 2 short walks per day as I described previously.

I'm trying to decide what sort of goal or race that I want to do. I was hoping that trail races would come back a little sooner because they usually have fewer participants. Also, I've been enjoying trail running so much more that I'd like to start doing trail races. But there still doesn't seem to be too much in the states around me for March and April 2021. I don't really want to fly anywhere yet.

I've been knocking around these ideas:
  • 10k trail race, March 21, about 30 min away from my house
  • Marathon trail race, March 7, at a similar location
  • Yeti 24-hr Challenge: run 5 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours; I think the window to do this virtually is April - May
I should probably do the 10k trail race, because it would probably be a bad idea to do a marathon for my first trail race. I have not been building up the mileage for it yet, and I don't know if I'd have time to do so. It's just that the 10k is a little short - I was hoping to find a 10-mile or HM race. Well, I don't have to commit to anything yet.

Monday
  • Before breakfast: 48 burpees. I was in a Garmin challenge for a friend's birthday. She does a crazy amount of activity, and so the challenge was to do the most bad-*** workout we could think of to honor her birthday. I did one burpee for each year. I really should do more burpees.
  • After dinner: 90-min walk on treadmill
Tuesday
    • 2 x 18 decline push-ups
    • 2 x 10 shoulder presses, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 18 military push-ups
    • 2 x 18 tricep dips
    • 2 x 18 wide push-ups
    • 2 x 18 shoulder front raises, 5 lb each arm
    • 2 x 13 push-ups on medicine balls
    • 2 x 13 one-arm shoulder rows, 20 lb each arm
    • 2 x 18 shoulder side raises, 5 lb each arm
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • T 48 F, WC 40 F
      • distance: 4.07 mi
      • average pace: 12:18
      • splits: 12:10, 12:26, 12:04, 12:25
      • ave HR: 140 BPM - within my target range
Wednesday
  • Before dinner:
    • 50 min easy
      • T 46 F, WC 42 F
      • time: 50:17
      • distance: 4.07 mi
      • average pace: 12:21
      • splits: 11:56, 12:24, 12:10, 12:50, 13:07
      • ave HR: 142 BPM - above my target range
      • comments: This run and the one the day before were SO SLOW. In retrospect, I think I was really feeling those burpees from Monday.
Thursday
  • Before lunch: 90-min walk on treadmill
  • Before dinner:
    • 50-min power hiking workout on treadmill
    • Directly after: 60-min walk on treadmill
Friday
  • Before lunch: 90-min walk on treadmill
  • Before dinner: 90-min walk on treadmill
Saturday
  • Before lunch:
    • 60 min easy on trail
      • T 30 F, WC 22F
      • time: 1:00:01
      • distance: 4.51 mi
      • average pace: 13:19
      • splits: 13:21, 13:40, 13:06, 13:21, 12:51
      • comments: I expected the trail to be icy since we had lots of rain two days before and then the temperature dropped below freezing, so I wore my microspikes. However, it wasn't very icy at all, so I took off my microspikes at the turn-around.
      • comments: This was my fastest pace on this trail and with a great HR!
  • Before dinner: 90-min walk on treadmill
Sunday
  • Before lunch:
    • 90min on trail: 35 min + 10 x (1 min hard + 1 min recovery) + 35 min
      • T 34 F
      • time: 1:30:07
      • distance: 7.53 mi
      • average pace: 11:58
      • ave HR: 141 BPM - within my target range (see below)
      • comments: I decided that for my Sunday trail runs, I could let my HR go up into long run range (145 - 153 BPM). So I focused on keeping my HR 150 BPM and lower. Ultimately I ended up with a fantastic average HR.
      • comments: This was my longest trail run to date. Great pace for it, too! And this route definitely has hills.
      • comments: On the way out, the mud was still mostly frozen, but by the time I was on the way back, there was a lot of goopy cold mud in parts of the trail.
      • route: Valley Trail, Rock Creek National Park
  • Before dinner: I unexpectedly had to sub into a tennis doubles match that started 3 hours after my long trail run ended. My partner and I won 6-2, 6-2, and our team won overall!
I am still really enjoying the trail runs. Hopefully that will continue!

Health

No changes. My headache was better from about Dec. 24 - 26, but now it is back to normal yuck.

I forgot to log that I had my latest covid test on Dec. 17, and it was negative again.

Summary of Activity for 2020
MonthRunning (mi)Walking (mi)Tennis (h)
January106.220
February129.912
March135.88
April113.50
May131.22
June114.010
July103.112
August113.220
September137.752.211
October153.662.710
November68.588.112
December73.9119.28
Total1380.7125

This was a new record high mileage for me since I started tracking my running miles in 2017; last year was the old record at 1243.5 mi.

My tennis was way down (195.5 h last year) because of the pandemic, and I only had 26 matches vs 54 in 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter