Avoiding Theft in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanti

Momketeer
I have been excitedly planning next year's European vacation this week. Our trip will start with Disneyland Paris, then we'll head to Barcelona for a DCL Med cruise, and then afterwards we'll spend a few days in Paris.

While making the plans, reading tourists' descriptions of the different hotels, etc. I've become aware of how severe the issue with theft is in some parts of Europe, especially, but not limited to, Barcelona.

I'm not worried about our safety. I'd actually be much more worried about safety in some American cities. The thefts in these European cities, mainly pickpocketing and the snatching of bags, phones, cameras, etc., is from the very many specific first-person descriptions I've read, nonviolent, yet extremely common, & methods of theft can be both more elaborate and more brazen than I'd imagined before my research.

I don't want to be stolen from, so I'm creating a list of tips to help protect my money and property while in Europe. Please feel free to add to this list to help me & others prepare. I look forward to the trip of a lifetime, will be traveling just myself and teen son, and don't want to spend any of the trip stressing over theft.

• Be vigilant with all belongings at airports, on trains, buses, etc. Use airport lounges when possible when waiting for flights in Europe.
  • Be vigilant during transfer of baggage from vehicle to hotel & vice versa.
  • Be vigilant in hotel lobbies, especially when checking in and out.
  • Keep most valuables (money, credit cards, passports) locked in the hotel safe at all times.
  • Do not leave phone or tablet unattended in the hotel room.
  • Keep your suitcases locked, if possible.
  • When touring, only carry one credit card (have at least one other in hotel safe as a back-up) and/or just enough cash for that day's touring.
  • Avoid carrying bags (or at least don't put any valuables in them). Instead keep phone, money, etc. hidden inside your clothing on a neck or waist strap, or in a zipped/buttoned interior pocket. Women can wear a very small packet for money that attaches to the bra.
  • Don't wear "fanny packs" on the outside of your clothing.
  • Never lay down your phone or camera on a table in a cafe, restaurant, etc.
  • Never place any items on the back of your chair or at your feet.
  • Don't talk to strangers on the street. Keep walking when they approach you, even if they're asking for "help" or trying to "help" you. Law-abiding European city-dwellers don't tend initiate random conversations with tourists on the street. They mind their own business.
  • Keep your space from strangers, especially those who seem to be "helping" you after an "accident" such as something being spilled on you or your tire being flat.
  • Don't stop and watch street performance shows.
  • If a "police officer" in Barcelona approaches you to ask for ID or for assistance with an investigation, don't take out your wallet. Real Barcelonian cops don't do this. Even if he flashes a badge or wears a uniform, don't take anything out. Ask to be taken to the police station instead. The "cop" will probably give up and leave at that point.
  • Avoid looking lost and/or at maps in public (this will be a hard one for me, as I'm directionally impaired).
  • Try to avoid looking like the most inexperienced, clueless American tourist by not wearing obvious ultra-casual American clothes.
  • Keep in mind that thieves sometimes are very well dressed, often work as partners to create distractions, and sometimes even use children as part of the process. Keep your guard up in Barcelona in particular. That has a much worse reputation for pickpocketing than any other city in Europe.

Last edited:
The thefts in these European cities, mainly pickpocketing and the snatching of bags, phones, cameras, etc., is from the very many specific first-person descriptions I've read, nonviolent, yet extremely common, & methods of theft can be both more elaborate and more brazen than I'd imagined before my research.

Great advice, Shanti! I am a huge Rick Steves Fan (Back Door to Europe books and PBS shows), and before we visited Europe some years back, I was scouring Rick's books and DVD's for great advice. He recommended something I had always thought kind of well....odd & silly.... a money belt. After doing some additional research, and finding a very slim cloth money belt that as a woman I could easily slip beneath the waist of my trousers, I bought one. And I used that sucker! Yes, it felt a little odd to pull it out and unzip it at times, but let me tell you, I NEVER once had to even think, "Is my backpack/handbag zipped up?", "Is my bag one that's strap is cut proof from a pickpocket?", "Am I holding my bag close enough to the front of my body for no one to access it", or worry about leaving it hanging on a chair in a cafe somewhere or on a train or bus.

I kept my passport, credit cards, all I.D. and cash that wasn't pocket change in that belt. And it gave me HUGE peace of mind. I would definitely do the money belt thing again. :-)

I think you may be over dramatizing it a bit....actually I think your'e over dramatizing a lot. Just carry a purse across your body, around your neck and in front of you. There will lots of people watching street shows. Lots of people looking like tourists. Yes there are pickpockets, but they hang out on the crowded metro and big tourist spots. They're are not everywhere and around every corner. I carry everything in my purse I keep in zipped and in front of me at all time. I never worry about or really think about when I'm walking around. You will see locals walking around with their purses over there shoulders just like you do in the US. I stay out in bad neighborhoods in all cities. Some European cities its hard to tell what's a bad neighborhood and what's not because some of the cities are so run down and old.

The most annoying thing about Southern Europe is the panhandlers bothering you while you're trying to eat. I keep my purse in my lap while I'm eating. You will also have street merchants trying to sell you useless items. It's not as bad as Mexico or the Caribbean, but it's not far off.
Pickpockets look for people look that are easy targets. They're not going to grab you're purse off your neck and strangle you in the process.

I think you may be over dramatizing it a bit....actually I think your'e over dramatizing a lot.
I have based this list strictly from first-person accounts of tourists who have been stolen from in Europe, particularly Barcelona, which seems to be the theft capital of Europe. I'm not dramatizing anything. I was shocked at so many mentions of being stolen from, in so many ways, when researching hotels and activities in Barcelona in particular (and I was researching expensive 4 & 5 star hotels, not cheap hotels...) None of the theft I read about was violent, as I said, but theft is reportedly extremely common in Barcelona, everywhere tourists will be, not just or even mostly in the "seedy areas" like in the U.S. All of the things I warned against, I read about happening to normal individuals who described their own experience. And I read similar experiences multiple times from different people.

Last edited:
I think you may be over dramatizing it a bit....actually I think your'e over dramatizing a lot. Just carry a purse across your body, around your neck and in front of you. There will lots of people watching street shows. Lots of people looking like tourists. Yes there are pickpockets, but they hang out on the crowded metro and big tourist spots. They're are not everywhere and around every corner. I carry everything in my purse I keep in zipped and in front of me at all time. I never worry about or really think about when I'm walking around. You will see locals walking around with their purses over there shoulders just like you do in the US. I stay out in bad neighborhoods in all cities. Some European cities its hard to tell what's a bad neighborhood and what's not because some of the cities are so run down and old.

The most annoying thing about Southern Europe is the panhandlers bothering you while you're trying to eat. I keep my purse in my lap while I'm eating. You will also have street merchants trying to sell you useless items. It's not as bad as Mexico or the Caribbean, but it's not far off.
Pickpockets look for people look that are easy targets. They're not going to grab you're purse off your neck and strangle you in the process.

I am not a real worrywart, so while I certainly agree with you here, Cruiser21, for ME, I loved the freedom of just plain not having to think about my handbag. I knew without a doubt my passport, credit cards and money were entirely safe. So for me, the money belt was an unusual but wonderful asset that allowed me to simply ENJOY the lovely architecture, scenery, art, and all Europe has to offer a traveler! :flower3:

Shanti, I think you are spot on! We also wear very thin under-the-clothes travel wallets. I prefer the type you wear around the waist, while DH prefers the one that hangs from your neck. Both are tan in color so they blend in well. We keep our passports, extra cash, and emergency information (phone numbers, copies of each other's passports, insurance info, etc.) in them. We carry our cell phones, a little bit of cash, and one credit card in our front pockets. No purses or bags of any type because we honestly don't need them. We also stand tall and are constantly aware of our surroundings. If someone gets too close to either of us from behind, the other one is quick to alert. I can think of at least three instances when we felt we were being targeted but were able to deflect. And, I personally know two pickpocket victims who were on our tours, once in Beijing and once in Rome.

Now, a funny story about our very first trip to Europe, 12 years ago. I'd read all the reports about pick-pockets and all the ways they will try to engage you in order to steal your valuables. I made sure DH and our two teenage (at the time) children were aware of all the pitfalls, as well - things like someone pretending to drop a baby, people trying to sell stuff, the list goes on and on. We were in Paris, coming up the stairs from the Metro on our first day there. At the top of the stairs, a frantic-looking woman looked me straight in the eyes and pleaded, "Do you know English?" I immediately said, "Yes," and asked what was wrong. With that, both our children and DH grabbed me by the arms and led me off, hysterically laughing that after all my lectures, I'd just fallen for their trick! I didn't believe them until I turned to look at the lady and she didn't protest, just stood there calmly as they led me away. My family pointed out that of course she knew we spoke English because we were talking as we were coming up the stairs! Duh! I was so embarrassed and, even after all these years, I still get teased about it.

Now, a funny story about our very first trip to Europe, 12 years ago. I'd read all the reports about pick-pockets and all the ways they will try to engage you in order to steal your valuables. I made sure DH and our two teenage (at the time) children were aware of all the pitfalls, as well - things like someone pretending to drop a baby, people trying to sell stuff, the list goes on and on. We were in Paris, coming up the stairs from the Metro on our first day there. At the top of the stairs, a frantic-looking woman looked me straight in the eyes and pleaded, "Do you know English?" I immediately said, "Yes," and asked what was wrong. With that, both our children and DH grabbed me by the arms and led me off, hysterically laughing that after all my lectures, I'd just fallen for their trick! I didn't believe them until I turned to look at the lady and she didn't protest, just stood there calmly as they led me away. My family pointed out that of course she knew we spoke English because we were talking as we were coming up the stairs! Duh! I was so embarrassed and, even after all these years, I still get teased about it.

AWESOME mom story, Deb T!!! Thanks for the chuckle!!! :thanks:

We travel to Europe quite often. All of your tips are great but overall the best way to avoid being a victim of theft is to be aware of your surroundings and protect your personal space. Don't be afraid to be a bit rude or firm if someone is getting a bit to close. I am also a big fan of the Pac Safe anti-theft bags. https://www.pacsafe.com/index No bag or purse is perfect but they make it extremely difficult for someone to get into or slash it. My girls who are used to carrying their phones in their hands all of the time which I've warned them about constantly here in the Chicago area and abroad now carry them in a cross body purse after seeing someone become the victim of a snatch and run in Athens in 2016.

My dh was stationed in Italy for 3 yrs while he was in the Air Force. He traveled all over Europe while there. He also used a money belt like others have said and never had any problems. In fact he brings it with him when we go on Caribbean cruises now. Do whatever you need that makes you feel safe!!

I've been "lecturing" (as they call it) my family since they were very young. We started travelling since they were babies so when they were old enough to carry something (wallet, purse, iPod, phone etc), I had explained to them, when they were young, that some people who don't have a lot of money feel that they don't have any choice but to steal.

I'm always paranoid about that. When travelling to parks or sightseeing, I think it's important to keep valuables inside or underneath clothing.

On one of our visits in Universal Citywalk, a man came and asked my husband about our camera (not even an expensive camera, but very compact) and he wanted to see it. The first thing I thought of was that this was a good way to grab and run. Anyway, my husband showed it to him without taking his hand off the strap. The man was trying to con my husband into letting him use it to take a photo of us, but my husband said we're fine. On our way out, we saw two security guards speaking with that same man. We don't know what it was about, but it wasn't a good thing.

I think these precautions are important not only when travelling internationally, but also in the US and domestically. Canada is a wonderful place to live but there are people who pick pocket everywhere...it's not specific to any region.

I have based this list strictly from first-person accounts of tourists who have been stolen from in Europe, particularly Barcelona, which seems to be the theft capital of Europe. I'm not dramatizing anything. I was shocked at so many mentions of being stolen from, in so many ways, when researching hotels and activities in Barcelona in particular (and I was researching expensive 4 & 5 star hotels, not cheap hotels...) None of the theft I read about was violent, as I said, but theft is reportedly extremely common in Barcelona, everywhere tourists will be, not just or even mostly in the "seedy areas" like in the U.S. All of the things I warned against, I read about happening to normal individuals who described their own experience. And I read similar experiences multiple times from different people.
I wouldn't worry about carrying a bag around just keep it on your body. I don't think you need to go to the extreme of stuffing everything into inside pockets. I also wouldn't worry about looking like a tourist it's unavoidable. Before my first trip to Europe I read the Rick Steves book. I got the impression from his book that there were thieves everywhere, and I needed to be on guard at all times. It's really not that bad just use common sense with your belongings and you'll be fine.

• Don't stop and watch street performance shows.
  • Avoid looking at maps in public (this will be a hard one for me, as I'm directionally impaired).
  • Try to avoid looking like a tourist. (I think it will still be obvious in my case- why else would a mom & son be strolling down Las Ramblas or in the Sistene Chapel, taking in the sights, if we weren't touring???)

I disagree with these.

What’s the point of visiting a place if you don’t watch street performers? Just keep a hand on your stuff.

Look at maps. The other option is to get lost. That’s less fun. Just keep a hand on your stuff.

We’re all tourists. The street thieves know who to look for even if we’re trying to be nonchalant. Just...keep a hand on your stuff.

Before my first trip to Europe I read the Rick Steves book. I got the impression from his book that there were thieves everywhere, and I needed to be on guard at all times. It's really not that bad just use common sense with your belongings and you'll be fine.

Well, he goes to Europe a whole lot and has been in charge of many many many groups of people in Europe. I defer to his expertise here rather than my limited experience.

He actually finally got pickpocketed this last year while in Paris. Wasn’t wearing his moneybelt and was stolen from.

I use his experiences (as well as my experience growing up near San Francisco as a shrimpy female in a family of shrimpy females and how we kept our own selves and stuff safe while visiting the true clothing outlets they used to have there in the sketchier neighborhoods) as a starting point. And haven’t had troubles partially because of it.

But just because I haven’t been stolen from doesn’t mean 10 people around me weren’t stolen from that day.

I wouldn't worry about carrying a bag around just keep it on your body. I don't think you need to go to the extreme of stuffing everything into inside pockets. I also wouldn't worry about looking like a tourist it's unavoidable. Before my first trip to Europe I read the Rick Steves book. I got the impression from his book that there were thieves everywhere, and I needed to be on guard at all times. It's really not that bad just use common sense with your belongings and you'll be fine.
I disagree with these.

What’s the point of visiting a place if you don’t watch street performers? Just keep a hand on your stuff.

Look at maps. The other option is to get lost. That’s less fun. Just keep a hand on your stuff.

We’re all tourists. The street thieves know who to look for even if we’re trying to be nonchalant. Just...keep a hand on your stuff.

Well, he goes to Europe a whole lot and has been in charge of many many many groups of people in Europe. I defer to his expertise here rather than my limited experience.

He actually finally got pickpocketed this last year while in Paris. Wasn’t wearing his moneybelt and was stolen from.

I use his experiences (as well as my experience growing up near San Francisco as a shrimpy female in a family of shrimpy females and how we kept our own selves and stuff safe while visiting the true clothing outlets they used to have there in the sketchier neighborhoods) as a starting point. And haven’t had troubles partially because of it.

But just because I haven’t been stolen from doesn’t mean 10 people around me weren’t stolen from that day.
Have either of you actually toured Barcelona?

Barcelona: Pickpocket Capital of the World

Btw: the "street performance shows" I referred to are little side-shows (such as human statues, games, etc.) performed on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. They're typically rackets to distract tourists while fellow thieves steal from them.

I wouldn't worry about larger, organized performances in other cities, aside from being careful with belongings as always.

Last edited:
I'll bite. I have said it before on the boards and I will say it again. My mother was born in Italy but immigrated to the US in grammar school. However, my Italian heritage has been a big part of my life. Her career was teaching high school French. I am been spending summers in Europe regularly since the age of six (I am now 48) and my husband has dual US/Italian citizenship. We spend on average 4-5 weeks a year in Europe and I have traveled extensively in France and Spain as well (including Barcelona).

Luckily we have never been pick pocketed. However, I have seen in occur both in Barcelona and in Rome. However, don't let it ruin your experience. Wear some kind of cross body bag and keep it on you with your arm draped over it. Do not take out your wallet in the middle of crowds, be mindful of your surrounding and walk with a purpose. I hate to hear Europe get a bad rap about this. I quite frankly feel safer there than I do in urban settings here in the US.

And while your list is fine, it is really nothing different than I do everyday no matter where I go.

Just got back 3 weeks ago. It's a beautiful city. I've been all over Europe. Athens, Rhodes, Rome, Naples, Lisbon, Cadiz, Malaga, Sicily, Livorno, Pisa, Florence, Turkey, Malta, Marseille, London, Copenhagen, Iceland, Scotland, Norway......I carry my cross body bag. I don't leave my phone laying on tables or leave my bags unaccompanied in the US either. I just use common sense and stay aware of my surroundings just like I do at home. Maybe after years of being a runner I'm just hyper aware and that's just normal for me. The only scary thing that I've had happen is I went out for a run in Barcelona and got totally turned around and couldn't find the hotel. Note to self always put a credit card in your pocket when running in a strange city. I thought I was going to have to picket pocket someone just for cab money(kidding of course).
My DH almost got pick pocketed on the metro in Athens. I was watching the whole thing. The guy was really friendly helping us with our bags and all. People in Europe are not friendly or service oriented. If someone stops and wants to chat you up...remember it's not Texas or the South. They may have a motive.

Just got back 3 weeks ago. It's a beautiful city. I've been all over Europe. Athens, Rhodes, Rome, Naples, Lisbon, Cadiz, Malaga, Sicily, Livorno, Pisa, Florence, Turkey, Malta, Marseille, London, Copenhagen, Iceland, Scotland, Norway......I carry my cross body bag. I don't leave my phone laying on tables or leave my bags unaccompanied in the US either. I just use common sense and stay aware of my surroundings just like I do at home. Maybe after years of being a runner I'm just hyper aware and that's just normal for me. The only scary thing that I've had happen is I went out for a run in Barcelona and got totally turned around and couldn't find the hotel. Note to self always put a credit card in your pocket when running in a strange city. I thought I was going to have to picket pocket someone just for cab money(kidding of course).
My DH almost got pick pocketed on the metro in Athens. I was watching the whole thing. The guy was really friendly helping us with our bags and all. People in Europe are not friendly or service oriented. If someone stops and wants to chat you up...remember it's not Texas or the South. They may have a motive.
Good to know, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Nevertheless, I don't want the thread to get distracted from its purpose of giving and soliciting advice on not getting stolen from. A lot of visitors have not been as fortunate as you, and I'm not talking about the clueless types.

I also just returned from Barcelona. We spent 3 days there before the cruise visiting the big tourist sites, and we were staying in an AirBnB in just a regular neighborhood. None of us had any trouble in any locations. My mom and I wore our bags across our bodies and my dad carried his money in his front pocket. We watched some street performers and bought food in a marketplace. The biggest thing I needed to remind myself of was that I needed to put my phone in an actual zippered pocket rather than in the outside pocket where I keep my gum and hand sanitizer. While I brought a money belt, I never used it. I carried a purse very similar to this one and found it to be the perfect size and very comfortable. Did I need a locking zipper? No clue, I don't think I ever needed it. I did feel better having it though.

https://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/anti-theft-classic-cross-body-bucket-bag-1284

While I don't want to be dismissive of your awareness, I also would hate to think you were missing out on some amazing things to see and do because you thought that everywhere you turned there would be hoards of thieves waiting to take advantage of you. Pay attention to your surroundings, trust your gut, and use common sense. Oh yeah, and have a GREAT time!

I also just returned from Barcelona. We spent 3 days there before the cruise visiting the big tourist sites, and we were staying in an AirBnB in just a regular neighborhood. None of us had any trouble in any locations. My mom and I wore our bags across our bodies and my dad carried his money in his front pocket. We watched some street performers and bought food in a marketplace. The biggest thing I needed to remind myself of was that I needed to put my phone in an actual zippered pocket rather than in the outside pocket where I keep my gum and hand sanitizer. While I brought a money belt, I never used it. I carried a purse very similar to this one and found it to be the perfect size and very comfortable. Did I need a locking zipper? No clue, I don't think I ever needed it. I did feel better having it though.

https://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/anti-theft-classic-cross-body-bucket-bag-1284

While I don't want to be dismissive of your awareness, I also would hate to think you were missing out on some amazing things to see and do because you thought that everywhere you turned there would be hoards of thieves waiting to take advantage of you. Pay attention to your surroundings, trust your gut, and use common sense. Oh yeah, and have a GREAT time!
Definitely! I'm not going to skip anything! That's why I want to be prepared. I'm not going to hole up in the hotel or skip any beautiful sights. I picked our hotel because of its beauty and local color, even though I know it's within a very beautiful, touristy area (the gothic quarter) that also has a lot of pickpockets.

I initiated this thread with a purpose of helping to keep my belongings with me during travels, but not with a purpose to avoid travel.

I got pickpocketed in a gift shop across the street from the entrance to Parc Guell in Barcelona. What attracted us to the gift shop?? Mickey and other Disney stuff in the window...like cheese to a mouse, so to speak. I had a money belt with the serious cash and documents around my waist. However, I wore cargo pants with an extra pocket on the right below the regular pocket with about $25 in US and local cash. My fault for leaving it there...lesson learned. Anyway, while in the crowded gift shop I brushed against a display case and felt a slight tug. I looked down and there was the corner of a plastic bag above my pocket. It pulled away and there went my money. I thought I had caught my pants on the display. They are very good...even kids are trained for this because their hands are so small. Rick Steves was mentioned earlier. You might also check the videos on YouTube for visuals of scams/tricks/deceptions that they pull. This did not dampen my love for the city, only a disappointment with some of its people. A money belt works great, have used it many times. True, it seems you are starting to undress when you use it, however, you don't have to show the world your appendectomy scar (your option), just take a moment to get your credit card out in an out-of-the-way spot, use it and return it. We did not buy any mouse stuff after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter