avoiding the buffets

M2DD's

DIS Veteran
Is this possible to eat all your meals without having to go to any of the buffets on board? Will it take up a big portion of our day? Is the tipping cost higher at the end of the cruise? Where do you eat instead?
TIA
Sorry for all the ?'s

Is this possible to eat all your meals without having to go to any of the buffets on board? Will it take up a big portion of our day? Is the tipping cost higher at the end of the cruise? Where do you eat instead?
TIA
Sorry for all the ?'s

You can avoid all buffets and have sit down meals and the tips are the same.

Lumiere's is open every day for sit down breakfast and lunch ( or brunch) varied hours, in navigator.
Parrot Cay is open for breakfast and lunch though it is a buffet.
Snack places on deck 9 are open, and they serve you.

Timewise its the same really service is fast, in fact I find it quicker.

Tips people think the tips are just for dinner, but actually it is for all food service, bar Room service,/Palo so whatever or wherever you eat the suggested tip is the same.

The tipping is the same, no matter where you eat.

I never go to the buffet....mostly because at meal times, it's hard to find a place to sit.

You can order from room service (free except maybe tipping the person a couple of dollars), the fast-food places, or go to one of the dining rooms for breakfast and lunch.

Unlike what you may have heard about other cruise lines, DCL is not all buffets all the time. All your evening meals are sit down. Breakfast and lunch are optional buffets as sit down meals are available. So, it can take as little or as much of your day as you want. Buffet dining actually goes a bit quicker than sit down dining. The choice is entirely up to you.

I think your only option on Day 1 (embarcment day) Lunch, your only option is going for Pizza, salads, hamburgers near the pool if you don't want to do the 2 buffets offered.

I love the buffets. So does DH. We have breakfast in the room when we wake up. Then we head to the buffet for second breakfast. And then around 11 we have elevenies. That's just the beginning of the day.

I love the buffets. So does DH. We have breakfast in the room when we wake up. Then we head to the buffet for second breakfast. And then around 11 we have elevenies. That's just the beginning of the day.

I also tend to eat like a Hobbit on the ship! :rotfl:

The only time you "have to" do a buffet is the embarkation lunch; even then you could eat at one of the fast food type outlets on deck 9.

Every other meal will have a choice of a sit down option as well as at least one (frequently more) buffet options. Tipping is the same regardless of where you eat. You can eat buffet at every meal or no meals--your choice!

The only time you "have to" do a buffet is the embarkation lunch; even then you could eat at one of the fast food type outlets on deck 9.

Every other meal will have a choice of a sit down option as well as at least one (frequently more) buffet options. Tipping is the same regardless of where you eat. You can eat buffet at every meal or no meals--your choice!

I don't believe there's an evening dinner buffet (unless you count the buffet at the Pirate party or the dessert buffet on the longer cruises). They turn Topsider's into a sit-down restaurant with a limited menu. It's a nice alternative in case you miss your particular dining time.

You are correct that in recent years Topsiders/BBB has become a sit down restaurant with a salad buffet at dinner time. It remains a full buffet for breakfast and lunch. Tipping is not expected for this sit down location (the servers here are in training).

The tip recommendations remain the same regardless of where you choose to eat.

Unlike what you may have heard about other cruise lines, DCL is not all buffets all the time. All your evening meals are sit down. Breakfast and lunch are optional buffets as sit down meals are available. So, it can take as little or as much of your day as you want. Buffet dining actually goes a bit quicker than sit down dining. The choice is entirely up to you.
Gotta tell you, this is exactly the same on Royal Caribbean and Princess. I imagine it's the same on other cruiselines, also, but those are the only 2 I have experience with.

Sayhello

On embarkation day, even though it is a buffet in Parrot Cay (Magic), they still find you a table and get your beverages even though you get your food from the buffet. I like that better than dragging a tray of food and beverages around Topsiders looking for a place to sit.

Gotta tell you, this is exactly the same on Royal Caribbean and Princess. I imagine it's the same on other cruiselines, also, but those are the only 2 I have experience with.

Sayhello

The dining rooms were sometimes closed for lunch on port days on other cruise lines - and that includes Royal Caribbean.

The dining rooms were sometimes closed for lunch on port days on other cruise lines - and that includes Royal Caribbean.

Not on DCL....Lumiere's is open for sit down breakfast and lunch every day (except Castaway day). And when we had bad weather on Castaway day, they opened Lumiere's although it wasn't on the Navigator!)

I thought we wouldn't have to get off the ship at Castaway Cay? If we don't, where will we be able to eat?
Sorry for intruding on your thread, but, if I didn't do it now, I would forget to ask:) Thank you.

I thought we wouldn't have to get off the ship at Castaway Cay? If we don't, where will we be able to eat?
Sorry for intruding on your thread, but, if I didn't do it now, I would forget to ask:) Thank you.

If you choose to stay on the ship on Castaway day, you can eat at the buffet at Parrot Cay or on deck 9 at the fast food outlets. OP's question concerned avoiding buffets. There is not a sit down lunch option normally on Castaway day--just the buffet in Parrot Cay and the deck 9 options.

Thanks for all the great responses:goodvibes
It looks like will have to maybe do a buffet on embarkment day for lunch.
My family and I do love buffets but we don't do them at all because I'm always concerned about germ and I would hate to get sick on the cruise.
I did have a tought and we have done this before maybe someone can give me some suggestions:worship:
what time does the buffets open for breakfast/lunch?
Is it possible that if we got there before it opened we could get our food before most people or is there already a line forming?

The buffet is open when you boarding begins, so even if you get there super early the platinum castaway club members will beat you there (they have priority boarding).

Thanks for all the great responses:goodvibes
It looks like will have to maybe do a buffet on embarkment day for lunch.
My family and I do love buffets but we don't do them at all because I'm always concerned about germ and I would hate to get sick on the cruise.

I understand your concerns at the buffets, but you also must realize that everyone is handed a sanitizer towelette before entering the buffet (or any other restaraunt for that matter).

Therefore, I think you may be just as likely to get sick from all the other things you touch on the ship. Such as the elevator buttons, railings, door handles, etc.

We like the buffet and generally don't go at peak times except on boarding day. We have never had a problem finding a table. I also like the different fast items too. There are different pizza's too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter