Avoiding Star Wars

drjackal31

Mouseketeer
We originally planned on taking a trip to Disneyland in 2019 but am now considering moving our trip up to avoid the opening of Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, we like Star Wars, but we were planning the trip to enjoy the things Disney World doesn't have and would would like to avoid the Star Wars hoopla. I know it will be busy either way.

Do you think we should move the trip to January/February 2019? Believing Star Wars shouldn't be open yet. Or move it up to 2018 all together.

January/Feb will be fine. I wouldn't imagine opening until Memorial Day at the earliest. Unlikely but possible there could be soft openings but that shouldn't cause crowds.

Do you think we should move the trip to January/February 2019? Believing Star Wars shouldn't be open yet. Or move it up to 2018 all together.

Jan/Feb risks more refurbs. Plus, they scale back fireworks and Fantasmic to mostly just weekends, and other things can scale back as well. That isn't stopping my family from going late Jan. 2018, but we used to live in SC and were passholders, so this is just a small trip to "top off," not a once in a lifetime trip to DL.

Typically, despite the crowds, DL is most "alive" during the Summer (longer hours Fantasmic and fireworks every night) or at the holidays (which gives you Haunted Mansion Holiday and Small World Holiday, both are non-WDW overlays, and there are no private Christmas parties cutting into park hours at DL).

I think timing for this requires a bit more thought. What are your main goals for this trip? Is it a once in a lifetime trip? Is it a we're-in-the-area-and-adding-this-on trip so it's not the main headliner of the trip? Is it a rare troop that won't happen again for many years? Does your income allow you to easily to bump your trip up by a year? (Obviously no need to answer that last one; just something to consider!) How sad would you be at missing some rides or is this a ride-centered trip? What are you most excited about With the trip?

Personally, I'm considering going shortly after SW:GE opens. I have NO desire to see it. When they opened Cars Land 5 years ago, everyone was so focused on it that the reports were mentioning how quiet the rest of the parks were. Sounds good to me :)

If it's a once in a lifetime trip, or even a not-going-to-happen-again-in-less-than-several-years trip, I'd consider going in March or April 2019--most everything will be open and pretty, freshly refurbished and ready for the flood of people and press that will arrive in the days before the opening.

If you tend to be ride-centric in your trip, January is tough as they are getting the holiday overlays of some rides, and January and February are when Splash and Grizzly are down for their yearly refurbishment. Hours are less. Entertainment is less (weekend only). However, I'll openly point out that, despite those issues, it's when I do most of my solo trips.

I'd consider moving to 2018. January/February can have rain and cold weather. While rain is rare in southern California, it does happen and Feb is the rainiest month of the year. In January, it will get dark really early. It often gets cold when it is dark. I don't mind going those months because I only for the day, but I'd be disappointed to spend a lot of money to stay several days and have it get dark and cold early, have the parks close early and have lots of rides closed for refurbishment.

I am at the very beginning stages of learning all there is to Disneyland, so I am not sure the exact number one focus yet. We like to travel every year, typically in the second half of the year.

I would have liked to see Haunted Mansion Holiday, but that will not make or break our trip. While at Animal Kingdom this year we did notice it being much more crowded than the last time we had went. However the day we went the Pandora area was down for part of that day and the river ride was down the full day. IF people are only focusing on Star Wars land and the rest of the park is emptier that may be good for us.

We are coming from Buffalo, NY, so cold weather isn't an issue, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter