AVG Anti-Virus - Pay or another good free one?

newtodcl

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
I know a lot of folks on here use AVG anti -virus (the free edition) for computer protection. I am sure you have been getting the pop-ups about needing to upgrade to 8.0 (at $55) after MAy 30th. Anyway, just wondering if antone knows if they will continue to offer anything free or if there is another equally good "frr" one out there, or even a low cost one that works!!
thanks

We've been getting the same thing on both home and laptop computers, hoping someone has an idea!! subscribing...thanks!

There is a free version of the AVG 8.0. The link is just small and sort of hidden at the bottom of the upgrade page.

There is a free version of the AVG 8.0. The link is just small and sort of hidden at the bottom of the upgrade page.

where do you see that?? All I see is a download for a free trial that you have to pay for afterwards..:confused3

***nevermind...I found it!! Thanks for letting us know!

I have this program also on my computers...anyone know if you should (or HAVE to ) upgrade to 8.0.....Would it conflict with other programs--sometimes upgrading some program, messes up others!!! LOL

We currently have the subscription for AVG version 8.0. Have used it for free for years but a couple of years ago my husband decided to buy it. The price I am seeing on the site is $54.95 for a license. Why would it go up to $555 for a license?

We have had problems with viruses in the past and my DH has fixed others' computers. Even using Norton didn't find everything that AVG did. After we learned our lesson, we have been faithful customers.

I'm assuming the $555 is a typo, no way any AV company would charge that much when all of the others are still 45-60. Avira also offers a free version of their AV software, you can get it at free-av.com. That and Grisoft AVG are the only ones I know of that offer offline scanning for free. Most other major companies, Norton, McAfee, Trend, Panda and the like offer free on-demand online scanning. Or you can check with your ISP. I do believe that most of the big ones, Verizon, Comcast, etc still offer free antivirus as part of your fees. So if you are paying for that, you probably don't need to pay for seperate antivirus. Check that off before you pay if cost is an issue.

I would stick with AVG's free version. No reason to pay for the full version IMO. I just upgraded my office computer to the free version of 8.0 on Friday.

If you are getting a popup for something called AntiVirus 2008 it is a VIRUS!!! I had to remove it from both of my parents' computers....it highjacked their Internet Explorer.

HTH

Jill inKC

If you are getting a popup for something called AntiVirus 2008 it is a VIRUS!!! I had to remove it from both of my parents' computers....it highjacked their Internet Explorer.

HTH

Jill inKC

I would have to agree with this. I have had AVG for quite some time and have NEVER had any type of pop-up for renewal (especially at that price!)

Just an fyi...if you install the AVG 8.0 free version, it will uninstall AVG antispyware and anti rootkit.

If you have a State Farm insurance policy, you can download McAfee for free. All you have to do is register with your policy number on their website, and go to the members area.

HTH

Jill inKC

I do see the popup!:badpc: Now how do I fix it, I am not computer savy, so if you could advise me using kindergarten vocabulary I would greatly appreciate it.:thumbsup2
:cheer2:

I used a program called Spyware Doctor to remove it. I think AdAware which is free will also remove it. Make sure you do a deep scan (sometimes called Custom) to have it clean your hard drive. I found the virus hiding in the registry.

HTH

Jill in KC

Oh this stinks! Our desktop has AVG and we've been getting the popup for several days. Well, no popup today but the darn thing froze up and is now out of commission UGH I wonder if this had anything to do with it or if it's just a coincidence. I'm just glad that it's not my laptop, the desktop pc is dh and the kids ;)

I do see the popup!:badpc: Now how do I fix it, I am not computer savy, so if you could advise me using kindergarten vocabulary I would greatly appreciate it.:thumbsup2
:cheer2:

I would start at download.com and find adaware (as jedijill said) and download the free version and then run it. If that doesn't do the trick then google the name of the virus you are having trouble with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!