Avatar-land coming to DAK-just hit the Orlando Sentinel

While I'm happy Disney has finally announced something completely new for the AK, Avatar I thought was really overhyped and didn't really do it for me. I wish they went with a more traditional beastly kingdom.

Just saw the announcement and came over here to see what everyone was saying. I haven't seen Avatar--but this feels like a really bad attempt to do something like Harry Potter in WDW. I also wondered if this wasn't somehow related to the 'beastly kingdom' (is that right?) rumors that have been swirling for years. My initial impression says this will be a dud, but then Disney is pretty good at magic, so maybe they'll be able to make it work.

I think it is stupid. Never watched the movie, have no desire to watch the movie and have never met anyone that is such a big fan of the movie that this would be exciting.

Seriously? I thought the OP was kidding.

Avatar at Animal Kingdom???? Who thinks of this stuff? Avatar is no where near the property of Harry Potter and even if it was, it doesn't belong in AK. It's ridiculous.

I think it will fit well in Animal Kingdom, but I have no idea what they will do with it. I can imagine them making a very magical looking Pandora recreation, but as for rides / shows I'm stumped :confused3.

I have seen the movie, and I loved the graphics, etc, but I agree with others that there are not enough hardcore "fans" like there are for Harry Potter to make this work in my opinion.

Here is the link for the Disney Parks Blog announcement
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/avatar-coming-to-disney-parks/

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/avatar-coming-to-disney-parks/

Disney Parks blog has a post now about it.

ava234098SMALL.gif

I am just excited for anything NEW at WDW. I would love it if there were some new rides. There haven't been any in some time. I know about the Fantasy Land refurb, but this sounds a bit more adult.

Why all the haters?

Jennifer

I wonder if this is WDW's attempt to have fox refurbish another one of their buildings like they did in DHS with the American Idol Experience. With the AI contract near it's end, is this the next Fox franchise that will keep the seat in WDW?

I'm holding my judgement until I see what this means for the rest of DAK. How are they going to incorporate this into the park? Does this mean another land will be going away to make room for this or will they use new space? Will they be retheming existing attractions like at WWoHP? Will the land comprise of 1 attraction? Still a lot of questions. I'm always in favor of adding new ideas, but I want to see what sacrifcies will be made to get this into the park.

Oh! And ETA - If adding Avatar to DAK is in response to WWoHP at IOA I LOVE competition among the theme parks! :)

I think this is great.

The animals will fit right inw ioth the animals that never were theme.

The potential for rides is great.

Visually it could be beautiful.

If the imagineers can make that forest with the flowers opening etc.

I think this is a great move.

Don't forget that Cameron is working on a new Avatar type movie that I is underwater - think of that for the future too.

Good move Disney.

I think Walt would have been onboard with this one.

Avatar would make a good attraction, but not an entire section of AK. I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it has the makings of a classic, like Indy or Star Wars.

Avatar didn't sell anywhere near the merchandise of other Disney movie turned attractions.

Looks like Disney is trying to bring in their own Harry Potter. Well Avatar is no Harry Potter.

An Avatar attraction at DHS would have been a great idea. An Avatar land at AK makes absolutely no sense.

They better not take away the Tree of Life and replace it with Hometree.

yuck, seems too commercialized......... i dont want to see that avatar face on everything around animal kingdom, which has such beautiful REAL animals

It perplexed me at first as well. But the underlying theme of the movie aligns itself well with that of the Animal Kingdom.

As I watched it in the theatres, all I could think was: "Is the secondary title to this film Smurfs vs. Pocahontas"?

It does deliver a set of mythical characters and beasts, perhaps not what most people are familiar with, which may be a huge downfall and oversight.

I liked the movie (even though I told myself I wouldn't)...depends on how it's done, it could fit...but maybe more at DHS instead of DAK..:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter