Automated monorail

Donald_Quackers

Quacktastic!
I didn't see this mentioned, but I found this rumor on The Monorail Society website about the WDW Monorail system going automated.

Click here to read about it.

Now, it doesn't say what the source was, much less any links to articles or anything, but it piqued my interest.

Wondering what others think, should this turn out to be true?

I didn't see this mentioned, but I found this rumor on The Monorail Society website about the WDW Monorail system going automated.

Now, it doesn't say what the source was, much less any links to articles or anything, but it piqued my interest.

~Thanks for the update! It seems like a nice upgrade, especially with the added safety features like rear view cameras. Plus, the drivers will still remain on board to monitor the system, so it sounds like a win-win.

Sounds good as long as some drivers are still on board for safety. I was on the monorail when it broke down midway. Not fun but there were CMs there to deal with it.

It's unfortunate that the initial cost outlay per mile has prevented further expansion of the monorail system.

It's unfortunate that the initial cost outlay per mile has prevented further expansion of the monorail system.

I agree with you. I wonder how long it will take for someone to come up with a "better mouse trap" and a new design that may be affordable.

I do think adding new technology to the existing monorail would be a step forward, especially considering the additional safety measures.

Sounds good as long as some drivers are still on board for safety. I was on the monorail when it broke down midway. Not fun but there were CMs there to deal with it.

:confused3

The driver has no ability to get out of the cockpit as is currently configured. Couldn't any issue be handled remotely?

1) I could only imagine that the next generation would be automated.
2) After all, auto-trains operate all over the world.
3) The only question is WHEN
. . . these trains are very expensive to replace
. . . they have been at WDW for a while
. . . but are not near the end of their life, if they are maintained

NOTE: I approved major capital improvement projects in my past life,
and in this case, I would rather spend the money for a major rehab
than a full replacement. Just my opinion.

I have to say I really prefer the look of the monorails at WDW over DL, I really don't have an opinion on the automation either way, as long as the look stays the same. (How ironic, my DH was just asking me last night how much it would bug me if they changed the look of "my monorails" at WDW:rotfl2:)

I have to say I really prefer the look of the monorails at WDW over DL, I really don't have an opinion on the automation either way, as long as the look stays the same. (How ironic, my DH was just asking me last night how much it would bug me if they changed the look of "my monorails" at WDW:rotfl2:)

I disagree... the Mark VII monorail trains at Disneyland are great.

You scared me for a minute. My dream is to retire from driving fire trucks and move to Orlando and drive Monorails. I honestly don't belive anything carrying so many lives needs to be completely automated.

You scared me for a minute. My dream is to retire from driving fire trucks and move to Orlando and drive Monorails. I honestly don't belive anything carrying so many lives needs to be completely automated.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone - I wanted to be a monorail pilot, too. In case anyone didn't know, the Las Vegas Monorail is fully automated, and it started out with a couple of old Mark IV trains from WDW.

Be safe out there! :firefight

If you scroll down to "Orlando Maglev tentative approval (12/12/12)" it talks about adding a 15mile section from MCO to Orlando's convention center. Considering that if the project goes thru, that would be about 1/2 the distance from MCO to WDW......should we start the rummors of a mono rail from MCO to WDW?

If you scroll down to "Orlando Maglev tentative approval (12/12/12)" it talks about adding a 15mile section from MCO to Orlando's convention center. Considering that if the project goes thru, that would be about 1/2 the distance from MCO to WDW......should we start the rummors of a mono rail from MCO to WDW?

I would love a monorail from MCO to WDW! A maglev like the one that China has would get us to WDW extremely fast.

I would love a monorail from MCO to WDW! A maglev like the one that China has would get us to WDW extremely fast.

Mears, and Legoland would not be happy. (SeaWorld & USO customers would get off at the Convention Center station) It does sound like a winner of an idea whose time has come.

As a former monorail pilot, I have to say the thought of automation scares me. I was there to drive the Mark IV trains & the Mark VI trains as well. If that train breaks down, say, on top of the hill b/w GF & MK & there's a serious problem (fire, anyone? It has happened.), someone needs to be there to manage the situation. Guests freaking out would not know what to do. Just my $.02...

As a former monorail pilot, I have to say the thought of automation scares me. I was there to drive the Mark IV trains & the Mark VI trains as well. If that train breaks down, say, on top of the hill b/w GF & MK & there's a serious problem (fire, anyone? It has happened.), someone needs to be there to manage the situation. Guests freaking out would not know what to do. Just my $.02...

But if the driver is in the cockpit, with no access to the rest of the cars, what can they do?

It would be the pilot's job to communicate with Central/Shop and/or EMS, as well as keep the guests informed as to what they needed to do - sit tight, evacuate to the top of the train, whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter