Autistic son outgrowing stroller - any ideas?

stitch34

DIS Veteran
Getting worried here that our trips to Disney will soon be coming to an end. My son is 6, almost 60 pounds and growing fast and NEEDS to be in a stroller. He's a runner, nonverbal, needs to be watched just as you would a 2 year old. I travel by myself with three kids, and the stroller for him is a MUST for the parks and airport. He really needs it just so there is a way to restrain him.
We have the Maclaran Volo - love it... but seems that only goes to 55 pounds and am hoping we can make it through our August and November trips with that - but then what? Anyone have any suggestions what will accomodate a bigger child? And want something that will be able to use for a few more years as he grows. Money is an issue, too, but have a feeling there won't be any reasonable options.

Harness won't do it. Without a stroller we'd never make it through the airport, never be able to do things like watch Wishes - he needs to be in the stroller, no way he'd stand through fireworks or any type of line for anything, whether waiting for a bus, waiting at a restaurant for our ADR, etc, etc. Is a struggle trying to hold onto him.

As for the strollers you rent at the parks.... are there any straps, harnesses in them? Not sure if worst case that would work for him or not, if he'd stay in it.

You might check out a BOB stroller or some of the other jogging type strollers. The BOB isn't remotely as compact or easy to handle as the Volo, but if I remember correctly it does go to 80lbs.

As for the strollers you rent at the parks.... are there any straps, harnesses in them? Not sure if worst case that would work for him or not, if he'd stay in it.
In post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is a picture of the double strollers for rent in the parks. The single strollers are the same, just narrower. They do have a seat belt.
Further down in that same post, there are some listings for places that rent special needs strollers. These are basically larger sized versions of the same type of strollers that smaller children use.

You will also want to look into getting a stroller of your own that will fit your child. Even though your child can walk, a stroller may be necessary for safety. Many people find that their insurance will pay for it if the doctor writes a justification for it based on safety. I can't tell whether or not your insurance will pay or what the copay will be, but it's worth a look.

One good place to look for special needs strollers is adaptivemall.com. This is a link to their Stroller and Pushchair page. Even if you don't end up buying from them, the website is worth a look because it has a variety of choices in one place and has very good measurement information.
Some posters have found deals on ebay too once they knew what to look for.

We just got back from WDW last week and rented the Liberty Push Chair from Orlando Stroller Rentals. It is made by "Advanced Mobility" which is a division of Baby Jogger. DS is 6yo weighs 75 lbs. and is 49 inches tall. The stroller was a God Send. The stroller is recommended for up to 100 lbs. It handled great and it was a good safe space for. My son has Aspergers.

Here are a couple of pictures of him in the chair.

100_1358.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1697.jpg

Good Luck finding something that works for you.

Thanks for the info!
C&Gsmama... that looks great what your son has that you rented. that would be perfect for mine. I'll have to look into renting and get some pricing.

I looked at Adaptive Mall - some great ones on there. Price tags are a bit high for me. Will have to inquire with insurance and see if any luck with that.

When my son was that age we just rented a wheelchair.

Best of luck to you.

Some kids are OK in a wheelchair, but keep in mind that the rental wheelchairs are heavy (close to 50 pounds) and have no seat belts.
Since the wheelchairs are adult size, the seats are very wide, armrests are high and the legs will be hanging because the footrests will be too low and are not adjustable. The seats are sling seats (like a director's chair) and are made of vinyl. For some kids, those things might not be a problem, but for others, any one of those things might be 'meltdown worthy'.

:thumbsup2 McClaren makes a larger stroller that fits people up to 115 or 125 lbs. It folds like an umbrella stroller so does not take up much room, but it is very sturdy. We had one for our kids with disabilities. It comes with a harness type of fastener or you can use or use just a straight strap. Our kids have now outgrown this stroller and we upgraded into an adult travel chair, which folds and fits in our car nicely.:cool2:

We are on our second convaid chair/stroller for my DD. She is 13 now (yikes!) and weighs about 105 lbs. I LOVE the convaid stroller because it folds like an umbrella stroller...so it goes in the trunk of the car. We just recently purchased the "adult" size for her. It was a tiny bit big for her when we first got it, but she's growing into it very quickly. Check ebay too for used strollers. That is where I found her latest convaid. Also, if you're interested, I have a convaid stroller that might work for you. PM me and we can discuss. I'm not asking much for the chair. Anyway...let me know. Best of luck!

Just for the Disney trip-

We had planned to rent a double stroller. When I saw them in the parks, they looked like DS would fit in them well enough. Single, no way. And he would have been about 80 pounds and 8 years old last summer. He would have needed to sit in it with his legs criss-crossed because it's more like a pod. But it also looked like he would be able to sit in there with a soda and a map and have his own little domain.

As it turned out, we didn't use one. DS is not so much a runner, as he has low muscle tone. We thought we'd give it a try with him walking the first day, and he did it, so we ended up not renting a stroller at all.

Even at that, though, renting at the park doesn't help for the hotel (we were at Pop and I swear it was a half mile from the bus stop to our room) :eek: or waiting for the bus or at the airport, stuff like that.

I would highly recommend the Maclaren Major stroller - my son used it until he was 12 - very easy to use and comfortable. After he outgrew it, we were able to get him a Convaid Cruiser using our medical insurance. Having your own stroller makes a big difference at the resorts, instead of relying on rentals only in the parks. good luck!!

We have the jogging stroller made by dreamer design. the small one that has weight up to 150lbs. has 5 pt harness, pockets inside for the child/small adult to put things, large basket under. it comes with rain cover, full- not just throw something over it. also comes with the other wheels, so it can go on smooth terrain, not just be a jogger. very easy to push.
it is pricy, but we got ours thru insurance- durable med equip- dr had to write a not that it was medically needed. also did my own research- best one that i found. babby jogger lays back, no canopy for shade.
also had to find a medical equip place that was a dreamer dealer. if you use a medical equip place, you could ask them if they are a dealer, or it is easy to become one. even got to pick the color!

Hi,

Our son Joshua is 12 and autistic/non verbal.
Although he is fully mobile he cannot walk long distances, hence over the years we have taken our own stroller, which then became an over-size stroller and now we use a child's wheelchair.

Travelling from the UK can honestly say it is the best thing for transporting him around the parks and also whilst not necessarily related to your question but - we found this year the CMs at the parks much more considerate and aware of his needs. As he doesn't appear to be disabled the fact he was in a wheelchair helped recognise our needs much more than when we used a stroller.

Do you have a local charity that can help with the cost. We were just approved to get the Special Tomato® EIO Push Chair at adaptivemall.com. They paid all the costs which I am so thankful because my son is a runner and has dislocated his elbow 5 times from him trying to run. :(
And his old stroller has lost a wheel and he can press open the lock. I like this chair because it has an over the chest harness and will lay all the way back when he falls asleep. I would never be able to afford this stroller. Our charity was Charleston Children's Charity. Good Luck!

Some kids are OK in a wheelchair, but keep in mind that the rental wheelchairs are heavy (close to 50 pounds) and have no seat belts.
Since the wheelchairs are adult size, the seats are very wide, armrests are high and the legs will be hanging because the footrests will be too low and are not adjustable. The seats are sling seats (like a director's chair) and are made of vinyl. For some kids, those things might not be a problem, but for others, any one of those things might be 'meltdown worthy'.

And there is no harness if he is a runner like my son :)

Just getting around to checking back here again. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions.
At this point I'm thinking of renting from Orlando Strollers - other option is seeing if insurance will be able to pay for something. I am concerned about spending the money on a stroller, or having help with cost through insurance, whatever, and then taking such an expensive thing to the parks and fear it gets stolen. But then adding up the cost of renting one for every trip - that sure adds up also.
He is very much a runner. he walks so nicely in the parks holding my hand when he gets a break to stretch his legs, but really needs to be restrained in the stroller. If not in constant motion walking, such as standing at a line to check in, going into a store, whatever, he is struggling to break free from me and throwing himself to the ground.
His current Volo stroller - really is a joke for him. Basically he can walk around it in with the stroller attached to him. So time has run out on that, and thanks for all your suggestions!

:thumbsup2 McClaren makes a larger stroller that fits people up to 115 or 125 lbs. It folds like an umbrella stroller so does not take up much room, but it is very sturdy. We had one for our kids with disabilities. It comes with a harness type of fastener or you can use or use just a straight strap. Our kids have now outgrown this stroller and we upgraded into an adult travel chair, which folds and fits in our car nicely.:cool2:

It's called the Maclaren Major and it's fantastic!! We used it last month in Disney and it folds to the size of a large umbrella stroller once you take off the foot rest. We had no problems getting in and around Disney with it and it has a 5 point harness. I highly recommend it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter