Trip Report: First time to Oahu, Aulani and eating Gluten Free

After Diamond Head, we were in need of coffee, so headed down to Hawaii Kai and stopped at Island Brew Coffeehouse. This place is right on the edge of the water and has so many different little corners for sitting and relaxing in.

IMG_7852.jpeg

Once we were caffeinated we got back in the car and drove over to see the China Walls.

IMG_7856.jpeg

Even on what seemed like a very calm day, the waves hitting the rocks were so powerful and splashed up so high...

IMG_7866.jpeg

IMG_7855.jpeg

We headed further up the coast, and stopped at the Halona Blowhole and Makapu’u lookout.

IMG_7872.jpeg

IMG_7879.jpeg

On our way back to Waikiki we stopped for lunch at The Counter in Kahala. This place is great for GF and we have been to locations on the mainland before. They have a whole GF menu for creating your own burger, and multiple safe fry options.

IMG_7888.jpeg

DH created his own burger, and we split some garlic parmesan fries - all really yummy!

IMG_7890.jpeg

On this evening we had dinner at Gyu-Kaku, which was great. So many GF options, all clearly marked on the menu. This was a treat for us because GF Korean BBQ is very hard to find at home.

IMG_7894.jpeg

To finish off the night we had tickets to the Blue Note Jazz Club to see a local artist, Tavana. It was a fun way to end out our time in Waikiki, and the atmosphere in there was really fun.

IMG_7901.jpeg

Friday 9 September

We were all packed up, we had our last breakfast on the beach and then we headed off for a walk.

IMG_7905.jpeg

IMG_7907.jpeg

We were planning on getting to Barefoot Beach Cafe, but it started raining so we turned around and headed back towards the Halepuna.

DSC_0007.jpeg

IMG_7910.jpeg

I also wanted to mention that the ABC stores were great for GF options. These photos were from the store right near the Halepuna, on Lewers St. They clearly had GF labelling around the store, and also always had two kinds of GF bread on the shelf - we couldn't find GF bread in much larger supermarkets in other parts of the island.

IMG_7911.jpeg

IMG_7912.jpeg

IMG_7913.jpeg

That was a wrap on our 6 nights in Waikiki. We absolutely loved the Halepuna, and would stay there again. We used the laundry, the gym, the pool, and garden and attended their evening reception one night. The reception provided complimentary wine, snacks and a local musician.

IMG_7747.jpeg

Every part of the hotel was very clean, well maintained and tastefully decorated.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

We used the self parking option which was fine on every day except one, when we couldn't get a space we took the car to valet, which was the same price as self park anyway. Every staff member we encountered was pleasant and helpful, and there was always plenty of staff on hand when we needed anything.

Really enjoying your trip report. We went to Oahu in Dec 2019 and spent 6nts in Waikiki and then 5nts at Aulani - loved every minute of it and would love to get back soon.

We bid farewell to the Halepuna, retrieved the car from valet and headed towards the North Shore. We drove west for a bit, and up over H3 - such a pretty drive.

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0427.jpeg

From Kaneohe we headed up the East coast, our first stop was Hauula for some lunch.

The Shrimp Shack was on my radar as being knowledgeable about GF options, and the staff there definitely knew what they were talking about!

IMG_7914.jpeg

IMG_7915.jpeg

We ordered a garlic shrimp and steak combo plate, and split it. We ended up having to eat in the car because it started raining again. The food was great, really tasty.

IMG_7919.jpeg

After lunch we kept going north until we reached Laie, where we checked into the Courtyard Oahu North Shore.

IMG_8051.jpeg

We had Marriott points that we used for the stay here, but I think the rate was about US$280 when I looked at booking it. We arrived around 1pm, and only waited a short time for a room to be ready. We had a King room, second floor - the walk was kind of long from the lobby, but it is a sprawling hotel.

Apparently all their King rooms are accessible, so ours has a roll in shower and was hearing accessible.

IMG_7920.jpeg

The room had a microwave, fridge, filter coffee pot and our view was out over the pool area.

IMG_7923.jpeg

The hotel was fine for a couple of nights stay, we really didn't spend much time in the room or at the hotel overall.

Tonight we had tickets to the Polynesian Cultural Centre, a handy 2 minute walk from the hotel. It was still raining, so we hung out at the hotel until it eased, and ended up arriving around 3.30pm. You do have access much earlier, so you can spend a whole day here.

IMG_7929.jpeg

On the way in you walk through the Hukilau Marketplace, a mixture of shops, stalls and food trucks. This area is open to the public, and no tickets are needed. I stopped for an ice cream - you choose your fruit and ice cream flavour and they add it fresh and make it into soft serve on the spot - GF.

IMG_7930.jpeg

We bought the Alii Luau tickets, which included entry to the PCC, a guided tour, luau dinner show and tickets to the nighttime show.

We were matched with some other adults and sent off on a guided tour. As we had arrived so late we were on limited time, dinner began seating at 4.30pm. We were a bit skeptical on the tour, but ended up staying as we did have such a short amount of time. Our guide was lovely, and knowledgeable but I do think it would have been nice to have explored on our own.

As a group we did the canoe, saw a drumming show, watched someone making poi and visited a few pavilions.

IMG_7931.jpeg

IMG_7938.jpeg

IMG_7935.jpeg

The guide delivered us to the Luau at 4.30pm, and as we entered we were given a lei, and they took our photo. Here are the leis the next day :)

IMG_8054.jpeg

We were seated at a table for 2 on the second tier, overlooking the stage. Everyone got a coconut drink in a pineapple!

IMG_7942.jpeg

We were given a GF menu to identify options on the buffet, we were also told we could request any items from the back if we wanted.

IMG_7945.jpeg

The entertainment during dinner was interesting, but it was kind of just happening in the background as everyone went to and from the buffet. I felt like it was a bit of a shame that no one really had a chance to concentrate on what was going on too much. We were in the middle of the service queue so we got tapped on the shoulder to go to the buffet, stood in line up there for quite some time, then came back and ate.

IMG_7948.jpeg

IMG_0452.jpg

The food was ok, nothing spectacular - in fact the salad was probably the best thing I ate. The service was great though, the young students were full of energy and very friendly and helpful.

After dinner we walked around the Marketplace and looked at the shops, at 8pm we entered the stadium for Ha: Breath of Life, the nighttime show. This show was really great, lots of music, dancing, effects and fire. The show went for around 1.5hrs, and was high energy the whole time. They request no photos or videos during the show.

It was a great way to end the night, and then so nice to be back in the hotel room 10 minutes later.

Saturday 10 September

Today we had a 2 hour ATV tour booked in at Kualoa Ranch, with a departure time of 9am. It was less than a 20 minute drive down from Laie, we arrived around 8.20am. Even at that time the parking lot was just about full, much busier than I anticipated for that time of the morning.

IMG_7957.jpeg

We checked in, and then spent some time admiring the horses.

IMG_7958.jpeg

We were able to queue up for our ATV time slot soon after, and we were allocated ATV's in order of this queue.

IMG_0454.jpg

This guy followed us as we moved down the queue - beautiful!

IMG_7962.jpeg

Check in was quick and easy - however a couple in front of us who had not brought their drivers license with them were relegated to travelling in the back of the guides vehicle. They were very strict on sighting license.

We were fitted with helmets, given goggles and also a buff - which was appreciated. Fortunately for us, there had been rain the day before so we had hardly any dust bothering us throughout our tour.

We were allocated our ATV, and we were off!

IMG_7970.jpeg

We made several group stops throughout the tour, all were very scenic and featured some kind of movie set.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_8007.jpeg

IMG_8025.jpeg

We really enjoyed this tour, 2 hours was a good amount of time and it was a good mixture of driving and stopping to see the Ranch. The guides we had were good too, one more so than the other, and they were very knowledgeable about everything we were seeing.

I would definitely recommend the 2 hour ATV tour.

Post tour we stopped by the shop to grab a couple of cold drinks, but didn't stick around much longer - we had lunch reservations to get to.

From Kualoa Ranch we headed back to Laie to shower and change for lunch. Originally pre-COVID we were booked to spend 4 nights at Turtle Bay Resort as part of this trip, however since COVID and their big remodel, we were now priced out of this option. However, I was determined to have a look around, so we booked lunch at Roy's Beach House.

DSC_0021.jpg

We wandered around, checking out the lobby and bar. It was so calm, peaceful and really lovely inside the resort.

IMG_8031.jpeg

The pool area looked pretty busy, but such a beautiful place. The adult only pool looked great too.

IMG_8034.jpeg

We were seated at the Beach House, and that's when I stopped being impressed.

IMG_8035.jpeg

Unfortunately this meal was a disaster. I had chosen this one because I had read quite a few reviews saying they catered to dietary requirements, and had great food.

The server we had was soooooo slow, didn't know anything about the GF options, and we realised later that instead of asking the chef, he had just had a guess (and failed) at what we could choose from. He said there were no options that were GF naturally, all menu items would have to be altered.

We chose a salad and a burger, the salad came out with bread croutons on top and had to be sent back. Burger came out with no bun (fine) but fries which were not GF. DH gets so embarrassed at causing a fuss with his dietaries, but I just got really disappointed and a bit upset. It was not a great vibe at
lunch.

We barely touched the food, there was no offer to comp any of it, or apologise or make anything better. I thought this was a real shame for a restaurant that services an international level hotel. Obviously this is just our experience on this day, but I couldn't recommend it.

Sunday 11 September

Finally, it was Aulani day!

We woke up at 3am this morning to watch the Dutch GP - then we fell asleep again around 5am for a few hours.

We couldn't wait to get to Aulani though, so we packed up pretty quickly once we got up.

We drove past the Temple in Laie to have a look on our way out.

DSC_0024.jpg

Next stop along the way was the Sunrise Shack at Sunset Beach for breakfast.

IMG_8056.jpeg

IMG_8057.jpeg

We ordered two bullet coffees, and two bowls. The coffee tasted a bit watery to me, but it was good. There was a miscommunication when ordering the bowls, and instead of two small we got two medium - wayyyy too much for us to get through :)

IMG_8062.jpeg

IMG_8063.jpeg

We sat here in the sun enjoying the food and the view, it was a really nice stop.

IMG_8065.jpeg

We were back on the road at about 10.45am, and heading to Aulani!

We pulled into the driveway at Aulani around 11.50am, and joined the queue of cars waiting to get to the porte cochere.

IMG_8138.jpeg

IMG_8140.jpeg

It took about 10 minutes for us to get to the front, and when we did the cast member helping us let us know our room was already ready :yay: they took all the bags from our car, and we went to the online check in desk just off the roadway and were presented with our room keys.

IMG_8090.jpeg

The cast member here also gave us some welcome buttons

IMG_8089.jpeg

We jumped back in the car, did a lap of the driveway back to the garage, parked the car and went straight to our room - the first photo I took inside the room was timestamped 12:11pm - so we were VERY lucky.

This room was booked on rented DVC points, and we did this through an agency. I requested the 7 night stay in a DVC Hotel Room right at 11 months, and we were successful in getting these dates.

Our room was 531, the closest room to the elevators in the row of DVC Hotel Rooms on the 5th floor, Waianae Tower.

IMG_8094.jpeg

This room had two queen beds

IMG_8077.jpeg

We also had a microwave and filter coffee pot

IMG_8072.jpeg

Fridge

IMG_8084.jpeg

Closet with suitcase rack, extra bedding and safe

IMG_8076.jpeg

Table and chairs

IMG_8079.jpeg

Bedside table

IMG_8078.jpeg

Pin and hairclip

IMG_8085.jpeg

Bathroom

IMG_8073.jpeg

We found the extendable clothes line across the bath/shower was great for dripping swim suits

IMG_8074.jpeg

IMG_8075.jpeg

IMG_8093.jpeg

Balcony

IMG_8081.jpeg

This was what we could see of the garage from our balcony - the trees obstructed most of the garage and the walking path.

IMG_0481.jpg

We had packed our magic bands, which were the standard resort issue free bands that we were given at WDW in 2018. I knew they were linked, but I doubted their batteries would have lasted until 2022. I tried them on the door and success - we never used our room key again. Our bands were used for the door, the parking garage, charging items to our room. So handy!

A note on magic bands, on one of our first days here there was a bunch of them for sale in the gift shop. When I went back a few days later I noticed they were gone, and I asked if they had any more - the girl told me they had needed to remove them all from sale as they were bands they had stored since pre-COVID and they had realised none of the batteries in them worked!

As we were not expecting our room to be ready, we were already dressed for the pool. We called for our bags, which arrived within minutes, then headed out for a walk to explore the resort.

IMG_8097.jpeg

IMG_8098.jpeg

IMG_8099.jpeg

IMG_8100.jpeg

IMG_8101.jpeg

IMG_8102.jpeg

We bumped into Mickey near the Pau Hana room

IMG_8103.jpeg

We spent next next few hours swimming, and this was the busiest pool day of our trip. We did get two pool chairs by the shave ice stand, but it was busy and all of the pools had lots of people in them.

For note, the first 5 days of our trip the Menehune Bridge play area was completely closed.

DSC_0096.jpg

Also closed until Saturday 17 September was the fitness centre - but there were several complimentary fitness classes offered on the beach each day.

DSC_0097.jpg

After an afternoon of pool time, which we were already in love with, we cleaned up and headed out. We went to the Ka Makana Ali’i shopping centre, which was a ten minute drive from Aulani. There were some shops there I wanted to pick some things up at, and we ended up deciding to have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.

IMG_8110.jpeg

It was around 6pm on Sunday night and there was about a 20 minute wait, not too bad.

DH had a GF burger and fries, he said they were really good...

IMG_8108.jpeg

After dinner we stocked up on some groceries from Foodland and made our way back to Aulani.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_8312.jpeg

Monday 12 September

The plan was a full Aulani day today, and we really soaked up the resort. Each afternoon we would get the pool bracelet and towels for the next day, so we didn't need to queue in the morning.

We got pool chairs in the Shave Ice area again, and bounced between the lazy river, the waterslides, the pools and spa all day.

I had my phone in one of those neck pouches so the photos were a bit dull.

IMG_8115.jpeg

IMG_8121.jpeg

IMG_8125.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

For lunch we ordered some GF flatbreads to share from Ulu Cafe, we just ate them at our pool chairs.

Kalua Pork - GF

IMG_8122.jpeg

Pepperoni GF

IMG_8123.jpeg

In the afternoon we spent time at the beach, it was so nice to have so many options for swimming and relaxing!

IMG_8135.jpeg

On the way back to our room we stopped by the gift shop and picked up a Mickey Bar - yum!

IMG_8141.jpeg

We travel with a small electric frypan, which is helpful when we get stuck for GF options and saves eating out every night. We had bought some groceries from Foodland the night before, so tonight we made some corn tacos in the room for dinner.

IMG_8143.jpeg

Tuesday 13th September

DH booked into one of the complimentary gym sessions this morning, it was TRX at 10am on the beach. It was just him and one couple, he really enjoyed the session.

I did the complete opposite, and grabbed the car and went to the shops at Kapolei Commons. They have Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ulta and Target. I browsed around here for a little while, and bought some gifts at Target.

I was back at Aulani just as DH was returning from his workout, so we changed into swimwear and went to the pool.

IMG_0497.jpg

We did our usual bounce around most of the pools, the lazy river and the spa. Stopping for a shave ice break!

IMG_8151.jpeg

IMG_8152.jpeg

We had a Happy Hour reservation at Mina's Fish House at 4pm, so prior to that we went back to the room and enjoyed a drink on the balcony - POG with a rum float seemed suitable.

IMG_8154.jpeg

Once we were dressed we walked around the lagoon, and towards the Four Seasons

DSC_0037.jpg

We went onto the rocks and around to the little cove

DSC_0038.jpg

There were two seals on the beach, and a local who had put up a rope and was chatting about the seals and answering questions

DSC_0040.jpg

Minutes later a third seal popped it's head out of the water, and then a started a fight with one of the seals on the beach - those guys are loud!

DSC_0044.jpg

After watching the seals for awhile, we headed to Mina's Fish House for some happy hour drinks and appetisers.

DSC_0035.jpg

We had the most lovely server here, I wish I knew her name - she was so kind and helpful. We had a nice view, but still in the shade.

IMG_8157.jpeg\

I had to try the Spam cocktail - which is really their house mai tai.

IMG_8163.jpeg

We ordered two of the happy hour apps, both GF

Garlic & Duck Fat French Fries - Volcano Onion Ketchup, Dijonnaise, Tartar Sauce $10

Wood-Grilled Shishito Peppers - Jalapeño Yogurt, Roasted Garlic Streusel $12

IMG_8166.jpeg

We made a booking here for 4pm, and we were seated immediately. By the time we had our food served there was a long queue, and lots of people waiting for tables.

After about an hour, we moved over to The Waterman, and were seated at a low table overlooking the beach - we loved this spot!

IMG_8179.jpeg

This menu had so many good GF options marked, but we weren't hungry so we didn't order any food here - I wish we had gone back to try some though.

IMG_8169.jpeg

We ordered more drinks instead...

IMG_8173.jpeg

We watched most of the sunset from here and it was just so peaceful and a beautiful view. Once the sun was mostly down, we headed back around to Aulani.

IMG_8181.jpeg

Once back on Aulani property, we made one final stop for the evening at The Olelo Room. It was about 6.40pm at this time, and when we approached we were told it was a 30 minute wait. However, I went to the bathroom and when I came back the server was waiting with DH to seat us straight away - very lucky.

IMG_8197.jpeg

We were at a high top on the patio. It looks quite light in this photo, but the sun was mostly set - must have just been the camera on my phone.

IMG_8186.jpeg

IMG_8189.jpeg

We ordered some drinks, a lava flow and a li hing rita...

IMG_0514.jpg

We also ordered some more food here - they made both of these dishes GF

Bacon-Cheese Burger Sliders 18

Fresh Ground Chuck, Bacon, Aged Cheddar Roma Tomato, Pickles, Barbeque-Garlic Aïoli

IMG_8195.jpeg

Salmon Roll House-cured Salmon - Herbed Cream Cheese - Cucumber Julienne 22

IMG_8191.jpeg

Wednesday 14 September

This morning we were heading back north. We left Aulani around 8.45am, our first stop was Green World Coffee Farm but when we arrived the queue was extremely long, and we didn't want to waste too much time waiting around.

Next stop, Haleiwa. We parked just on the north side of the bridge, and walked back to Haleiwa Bowls for some coffee.

IMG_8204.jpeg

The coffee here was good, and although there were quite a few people around, the service was quick and friendly. We were here at 9.35am.

IMG_8203.jpeg

Back over the bridge, and we had a booking with Blue Planet Adventures for a kayak hire.

IMG_8208.jpeg

We had gone with the two hour hire of a double kayak. The guys here were fantastic. So helpful, friendly and relaxed - I would highly recommend this place.

IMG_8238.jpeg

DH loves kayaking, and I don't mind doing it when we are on holidays, so we had landed on this. However, this might have ended up being my favourite activity of the whole trip. The river was so calm and quiet, and every other person we passed was so cheerful and friendly.

IMG_0520.jpg

I tried to keep my phone stowed away and just enjoyed the ride, however the best part of this was that we saw SO MANY sea turtles on the river, they were gliding up and down, and sometimes right under us. It was so magical, and I had to at least try to get a photo -

IMG_8217.jpeg

As you can see, photos don't do any justice. We went right up the river to the turning point, then back past where we boarded to the mouth of the river and the sea.

IMG_0526.jpg

The sun was beating down, but we were able to use some shade along the way at the edges of the river. We ended up not quite using our whole two hours, but we loved every minute we spent out there.

On the way back to Aulani we stopped at the Waikele Outlets. First we had lunch at Chili's, lots of GF options and a very helpful server.

IMG_8242.jpeg

IMG_8243.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpg

After lunch we did a lap around the shops. We bought some bits and pieces, but not too much - in the end DH bought more than me, which we still laugh about since he didn't even want to be shopping. As an Australian, I didn't find things here to be cheaper than home, but there were things I wouldn't have gotten at home, so that's what I concentrated on. The Vera Bradley outlet was good. There's also a big Safeway in this area which we picked up some more groceries at. In the afternoon, it was back to Aulani for some more pool time.

Last edited:
We left Aulani around 8.45am, our first stop was Green World Coffee Farm but when we arrived the queue was extremely long, and we didn't want to waste too much time waiting around.
You didn't miss much. Pretty much a tourist souvenir shop with expensive coffee to buy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter