Aulani with kids 2021?

ClapYourHands

DIS Veteran
We are planning a two-week trip to HI this year, and will have our 3 kids (13,11,6) with us. DH and I have been to Big Island and Maui before, and are looking forward to going back, retracing some of our favorite adventures, and seeing some new things. We have never been to Oahu, and were considering a few days there before flying home (DS13 really wants to go to Pearl Harbor). My daughter's favorite princess is Moana, but Moana doesn't appear at WDW, so I was thinking of maybe spending a night or two at Aulani. What's happening with the character meets now? How is Aulani for kids? With beaches, restaurants, and pools in many places all over the islands, I would be going to Aulani for the Disney touches (characters, storytelling, etc.), not to have a home base for exploring Oahu. We're looking at early July, if that makes a difference (though I realize no one can say for certain what the experience will be like then). Thoughts?

IMO, under normal circumstances, Aulani makes a good home base for exploring Oahu for a Disney fanatic. I would recommend it for someone who is a Disney fan that wants the Disney touches, but also wants to explore the island. I don't think its a good resort for a "resort only" type of experience where you don't leave the property, but I think its great for a mix of sightseeing and resort relaxation together. Hopefully that makes sense.

It sounds like you do plan to do some level of touring, and you're clearly a Disney fan that wants to enjoy that part of it. In the current environment, Ama Ama is closed (signature dining) and there is no character dining. Aunty's Beach House is also unavailable, which I think would only be relevant for your 6 year old. There's no movie night, pool parties or other organized activities at the moment, from what I have been reading.

A lot can change by July, but currently, Aulani is basically a resort with a pool, beachfront, and has Disney theme and service. It doesn't offer much more than that, which leaves other resorts (i.e. Waikiki) offering essentially the same thing, in a better location, and possibly for a lower price point. Of course, without the Disney theme. If this will be once in a lifetime for you, I'd still go with Aulani to experience it, but you won't get the full experience. Definitely keep an eye on things to see what re-opens and how things progress.

Also, I'm sure you're aware, but others on here have reported quarantine/testing requirements for inter-island travel? I have no idea what those requirements are, and I could be misunderstanding, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Aulani makes a good home base for exploring Oahu for a Disney fanatic. I would recommend it for someone who is a Disney fan that wants the Disney touches, but also wants to explore the island. I don't think its a good resort for a "resort only" type of experience where you don't leave the property,
I'd certainly agree with this. I'd also say that this would apply to just about any Hawaii resort. There is so much more to see/do in Hawaii than just spending time at the resort.

We've made 5 visits to Aulani over the past ~7 years. One trip included a week at Aulani and a week cruise around the islands on the Pride of America. We got a great view of the other islands on that cruise. During our stays at Aulani, including an epic 20-night stay a couple of years ago, we probably spend half or more of our days sightseeing around 'Oahu. Its such a beautiful island!

The official line is that Moana is on Motonui right now.

Face characters probably won’t be back until the pandemic is contained. Currently, characters appear on an elevated stage. You stand at the bottom of the stage, about 10’ away from them, to take a pic. It would be very awkward to have a conversation at that distance. And would Moana have to wear a mask?

I’d suggest waiting until at least next year. Hopefully, the spa will be open by then. I think they do something similar to BBB but instead of a princess dress, you can choose between Moana or a mermaid.

IMO, under normal circumstances, Aulani makes a good home base for exploring Oahu for a Disney fanatic. I would recommend it for someone who is a Disney fan that wants the Disney touches, but also wants to explore the island. I don't think its a good resort for a "resort only" type of experience where you don't leave the property, but I think its great for a mix of sightseeing and resort relaxation together. Hopefully that makes sense.

It sounds like you do plan to do some level of touring, and you're clearly a Disney fan that wants to enjoy that part of it. In the current environment, Ama Ama is closed (signature dining) and there is no character dining. Aunty's Beach House is also unavailable, which I think would only be relevant for your 6 year old. There's no movie night, pool parties or other organized activities at the moment, from what I have been reading.

A lot can change by July, but currently, Aulani is basically a resort with a pool, beachfront, and has Disney theme and service. It doesn't offer much more than that, which leaves other resorts (i.e. Waikiki) offering essentially the same thing, in a better location, and possibly for a lower price point. Of course, without the Disney theme. If this will be once in a lifetime for you, I'd still go with Aulani to experience it, but you won't get the full experience. Definitely keep an eye on things to see what re-opens and how things progress.

Also, I'm sure you're aware, but others on here have reported quarantine/testing requirements for inter-island travel? I have no idea what those requirements are, and I could be misunderstanding, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Thanks for the feedback. We are planning to do a lot of very active things. Road to Hana and Haleakala on Maui. Volcanos National Park, coffee plantations, and swimming with manta rays on Big Island. Lots of hiking, snorkeling, and swimming in the ocean all over. On Oahu, we want to go to Pearl Harbor, and also see some of the beaches there.

I was thinking the kids might like a day or two of more kid-centered activities, especially the 6-year-old Moana fan. But if most of the kid stuff is on hold, the reduced experience doesn’t sound like it’s worth Disney prices.

Given the current inter-island quarantine/testing requirements, we’d have to do Oahu last. Right now Maui and Big Island require the 72-hour test window from another island, but Oahu only requires it from the mainland. Of course that could change in the coming months, but we’re starting to piece together our trip based on current info. And trying to keep everything refundable.

The official line is that Moana is on Motonui right now.

Face characters probably won’t be back until the pandemic is contained. Currently, characters appear on an elevated stage. You stand at the bottom of the stage, about 10’ away from them, to take a pic. It would be very awkward to have a conversation at that distance. And would Moana have to wear a mask?

I’d suggest waiting until at least next year. Hopefully, the spa will be open by then. I think they do something similar to BBB but instead of a princess dress, you can choose between Moana or a mermaid.
Thanks! I was afraid of that, and think we will skip it if there’s no Moana.
Similarly, we have park tickets to WDW from our trip that was canceled from the shutdown last spring. DD really wants to see characters, and I want to see shows, and we both want parades and fireworks. I can’t justify a trip there until at least some of those experiences are back in place. The rides are great, but not when I know how much more there “should” be that set WDW above other amusement parks.

I guess I’m just having a hard time settling for the COVID version of Disney. Which is a totally ridiculous first-world problem. But I love this site, because Dis folks understand.

On Oahu, we want to go to Pearl Harbor, and also see some of the beaches there.
Will you still visit Oahu if Aulani isn't a good option at the time? If so, I highly suggest visiting the beaches in Kailua. We stayed on Kaanapali Beach in Maui that I hear is one of the best beaches in the state, but we thought the beaches in Kailua were far better than Kaanapali.

If you're considering other lodging on Oahu, Turtle Bay in the North Shore is popular and we love the North Shore area. Tons of options in Waikiki - love the Moana Surfrider, but maybe not the best option for kids. Hilton Hawaiian Village is at the far end of the strip but still walkable, and would be inclined to provide a more resort-style experience that may have things that appeals to kids. People also love the Marriott in Ko Olina, which is adjacent to Aulani. Its likely a bit cheaper, and would still allow you to visit Aulani, go in the store, dine at their restaurants without paying the prices there.

I think that if you think Aulani feels like WDW, then you will be disappointed. Aulani is a beautiful resort with Disney touches here and there. It has a totally different vibe from the parks and feels like more "higher end" Disney from days past. But that is the reason why we love it so much. If the only reason that you want to stay there is to see Moana and it would make or break your stay, then I would skip it. My personal experience is that Aulani is an amazing resort. We stayed 2 weeks a couple of years ago and are planning another 2 week stay later this year. There is a ton of stuff to see and do on Oahu and Aulani is a great resort to back to every night. Plus you can easily spend days just at the resort relaxing. Waikiki area is great and we also spend a few nights there on our trips, but it is a totally different vibe. I don't feel like there is any comparison with Aulani and the hotels in Waikiki. It is a city and you get the city noise and the crowds of tourists walking through the resorts. Aulani is much more peaceful. I don't think that you would be disappointed in Aulani unless you go in already unhappy with what they have to offer at this time.

We did Aulani with our 3 kids (12,11,7) before COVID in Feb 2020 and starting to consider a trip back this July. Without the kids club, organized activities and characters, it will be a nice resort for more island excursions but the draw is def less if your hope is to enjoy the "disney" side of the experience.

We have booked 3 night first part of July and plan to spend the time relaxing and enjoying pool and ocean my son is 15 but if he was younger we would probably reconsider staying. We will stay 6 nights in Waikiki after Aulani which is when we will do most of our island exploring since I don't want to worry about the traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter