Aulani vs Koolina Beach Villas

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
I have been able to obtain 3 out 5 the nights in June for Aulani for a 2 bedroom ocean view. We also have 2 expensive nights booked at HHV to make our 7 nights. We have a backup through VRBO booked (can be cancelled) at KoOlina Beach Villas for 7 nights. The 2 bedroom is 1500 square feet and looks wonderful. (perhaps slightly boring but we have adult children with us so the pools and slides do not have the same impact.) Has anyone stayed at Koolina Beach Villas and can help compare the 2? It would be less expensive in the long run since we would not have to pay for 2 nights in Waikiki. TIA

I vote for the Beach Villas.

We stayed there this past July with our adult kids. We greatly enjoyed our stay. It is so much quieter than Aulani. You could hang out at the pool and didn't have the background noise from all the kids. There is a quiet pool with the hot tub that is truly quiet.

Our villa came with access to the owners closet which contained a bunch of beach stuff including 10-12 chairs and a couple coolers. It really saved us some money as there were many items we have bought on past trips and just left.

Here is my review from the stay.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/oahu-july-6th-13th-at-ko-olina-beach-villas.3845267/

We have stayed four times at Aulani. I would book the Beach Villas over Aulani in the future if paying cash. I would only stay at Aulani if I happened to have the points available.

I vote for the Beach Villas.

We stayed there this past July with our adult kids. We greatly enjoyed our stay. It is so much quieter than Aulani. You could hang out at the pool and didn't have the background noise from all the kids. There is a quiet pool with the hot tub that is truly quiet.

Our villa came with access to the owners closet which contained a bunch of beach stuff including 10-12 chairs and a couple coolers. It really saved us some money as there were many items we have bought on past trips and just left.

Here is my review from the stay.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/oahu-july-6th-13th-at-ko-olina-beach-villas.3845267/

We have stayed four times at Aulani. I would book the Beach Villas over Aulani in the future if paying cash. I would only stay at Aulani if I happened to have the points available.
Thank you so much for this! I just read your trip report and noticed that you headed out on day trips. Did you find using the location as a home base difficult with the driving? Because we do plan on day trips most days. The Beach Villas I rented is in the Beach Tower over looking the gardens and lawn that lead to Lagoon 2. The only problem I see is the kids do not have a tv in that 2nd bedroom. Not a problem for me..but for them, lol. I probably will be able to get the 5 nights (hopefully) at Aulani but then have an expensive 2 night stay at HHV..so just wanted to see how it is for a home base the 7 nights? If we do not stay at Aulani, I would be able to rent my 5 nights at Aulani for almost as much as 7 nights at Beach Villas (and not borrow 50 points and pay for HHV) The kids (21 and 19) woud rather stay at Aulani... but unfortunately for them..they are not footing the bill. We are staying in a quiet condo situation in Kauai so that is why they are not super thrilled at another quiet location. Thank you for your first hand knowledge.

Last edited:
The Ko Olina area is about as far as you can get for most day trips but remember that Oahu is a small island.

I live in the Metro Atlanta area so driving places is just like home. Plan around traffic and most places are forty five mins to an hour away at most.

I have stayed in the Waikiki area once and didn't really care for it. Yes it was much closer to day activities, but it was like staying on the Las Vegas strip. I love the Las Vegas strip but did not like that hustle and bustle together with the beach. Traffic was actually worse getting into and out of the Waikiki area than the extra driving to get into and out of the Ko Olina area.

I think Aulani wins hands down. Great theming, incredible pool, slide and lazy river, great restaurants and activities, beautiful grounds, and a larger footprint. The beach villas are smaller and more generic. The pool is nothing special, no restaurants, for me nothing particularly memorable or distinctive, and it’s just not as much fun. The accommodations, though, are nicer, and the whole facility is indeed much quieter. But there are quiet places to relax outside at Aulani as well, just not by the pool.

I had a great week at the Beach Villas 2 years ago. Rented a 3 BR through VRBO; it was very expensive but still probably half rack rate at Aulani (I am DVC member now but wasn't then). I did tour the Aulani show room and it's nice--you will get more space at Beach Villas. I went for shave ice at Aulani twice (you can just walk over from Beach Villas), which is allowed; I guess swimming there is not allowed for non guests. We drove to Aulani for the luau, which is like a 2 minute drive. I love the luau there. Ko'Olina is OK as a hopping off point to drive around. Waikiki was terrible to drive anywhere near. But there are a few things you can do on the west side of the island, and Ko'Olina is fine for getting to Pearl Harbor area, or the north side of Oahu.

The rooms are bigger at Ko Olina Beach Villas, but the grounds, facilities, pools, restaurants (nonexistent at beach villas), theming (nonexistent at beach villas) and overall "wow" factor at Aulani are in my opinion far superior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter