Aulani/Hawaii at Xmas

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
Hi guys
We are considering a trip to Aulani for Xmas 2014 (I know, obsessive compulsive planner and points horder!!) but I have a few questions!
Has anyone been there for Xmas and what did they lay on at the resort over the festive period? Any photos?
What was the weather like and what should I expect? Will it be warm enough to swim? A lot of rain?
Is there enough to keep a teenage boy occupied?!
Thanks so much
debsxx:hug:

Hi Debs,

We were there last year leading up to Christmas (we left 12/24 I think). Here is my TR on it. Of course this was before they started the latest refurb stuff so alot of my issues about the lack of dining is now (I think) being addressed since it seems like Aulani is adding dining options.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850176

There weren't too many Christmas decorations....but there were Christmas trees in the lobby, etc. I remember Christmas garlands were also on the lobby patio area. There was a Hawaiian Santa in the ballroom one morning for pictures. Other than that, I don't remember specific Christmas-y things.

I do believe they held a special Christmas buffet in the ballroom for 12/25 (it was advertised on flyers, but we had already checked out by then).

HTH.

Thank you so much for your lovely trip report and gorgeoous photos! What was the weather like whilst you were there?
debsx:flower3:

This trip report had lots of great pictures of the Christmas decorations:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2842173

The TR got me very excited for our trip. We are going to Aulani the week before Christmas, I will be sure to report back and add some photos of the decorations. I LOVE the resorts decorated for Christmas. :goodvibes

Oh Man! Christmas here in Hawaii is the Best! From Aulani (Area known as Ko Olina) rent a car! Parking for DVC is free BTW. There is a fun "small town" Christmas parade here in Kapolei every year. The Nutcracker at the Neil Blasdale every year is Fantastic, but they do have smaller productions at community colleges closer to Aulani. You have to take the trolley through Honolulu for the Christmas city lights, and stop off at Honolulu Hale for all the festivities going on there. You can also check the schedule for the Honolulu Boys Choir, they are amazing to watch. My wife and I also like to tour the resorts in Waikiki to see the decorations they have up. The stars are the Moana Surfrider, and the Royal Hawiian IMHO. I could go on, but its a good start.

Thank you so much for your replies............I have heard that December is the rainy season in Hawaii (and we get enough of that in England!!).....would hate to travel 20+hours to find grey skies! What should I expect of the weather in December?
We are hoping to be there for Xmas and New Years Eve....does anyone know what Disney did last year at Aulani?
debxx:grouphug:

Yes, December is more rainy, But the island of Oahu is a bit smaller than your island :-) I say this, because you will see that rain clouds (except storms) rain and blow over.. Pop, sun comes out. I live here on the west side, and I can tell you from my water bill, that yes, even @ Christmas, we get more than our share of sun

We were at Aulani for Christmas last year. Everyday, we went out to explore and found that the 'other' side of the island was raining...everyday. We'd drive back to Aulani, and it would be sunny, warm, beautiful. I don't know if this is normal or a fluke for December weather, but if you want gorgeous weather all over the island, I'd steer clear of December. Again, though...we were only there once in December, so it might have only been that week.

Kbeam, actually, Disney was smart to build Aulani out here on the West Side of the island, it's the dry side. Think of Ko'Olina as the Spokane Wa, and Kaneohe as the Seattle Wa :-) .... So we do get rain out here in the West, but not like other parts of the island

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!