Attn: People Who Worry About Sharks

donaldsgal

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

I wanted to remind everyone that all this week at 9PM eastern time, the guys from "Mythbusters" are doing shows on sharks on the Discovery Channel. They're calling it Shark Week. These guys are pretty smart and good at busting myths like ducks don't have a quack and other urban legends. The promo for this week's shows is, "This year, we're busting shark myths."

Anyways, I figured this could either quelch some fears or at least make us all more informed about the facts.

It's reshowing tonight at midnight eastern time.

:)

Thanks for the heads up. I need to record this for the kiddos.

donaldsgal said:
Hey everyone,

I wanted to remind everyone that all this week at 9PM eastern time, the guys from "Mythbusters" are doing shows on sharks on the Discovery Channel. They're calling it Shark Week. These guys are pretty smart and good at busting myths like ducks don't have a quack and other urban legends. The promo for this week's shows is, "This year, we're busting shark myths."

Anyways, I figured this could either quelch some fears or at least make us all more informed about the facts.

It's reshowing tonight at midnight eastern time.

:)

I saw that this morning while walking on my threadmill.

And remember, as they said, 10 times more people are killed by falling coconuts than sharks, so be careful on the beach!

Hey if anyone is interested, on MSN's homepage today they have a shark quiz. It asks if the odds of say you getting struck by lightning is higher or lower than the odds of you getting attacked by a shark. Give it a try, the results are quite interesting.

I actually had the pleasure of seeing a shark at Castaway Cay! I say "pleasure" because it was a harmless nurse shark. Apparently there were two of them, but I only saw one. It swam right by me! Remember, not all sharks are dangerous; nurse sharks are a non-aggressive species, and it was so cool to see them in their own habitat.
Barb

debtman7 said:
And remember, as they said, 10 times more people are killed by falling coconuts than sharks, so be careful on the beach!

Yeah you need to be careful if you go to Blue Lagoon Island. We had to dodge falling coconuts the whole time we were there.

The mythbusters have two outcomes for their tests: Busted or Plausible. Tonight they found that sharks being attracted to yellow is plausible. I like that they say plausible because that doesn't mean it's 100% right 100% of the time (as we all know, YMMV), but it proves it could happen. Interesting.

donaldsgal said:
The mythbusters have two outcomes for their tests: Busted or Plausible. Tonight they found that sharks being attracted to yellow is plausible. I like that they say plausible because that doesn't mean it's 100% right 100% of the time (as we all know, YMMV), but it proves it could happen. Interesting.

LOL
Yeah, I watched it too. I think I will be careful in my swimsuit color choices. No yellow, black or silver for me. I wonder if we should just all go nude. :rotfl2:

What did you think of the guy in CA that the white attacked and did not get a scratch. I think he was lucky. I do not go for there excuse. I think his air line kept him safe. Each time the line was slack the shark would come back. Even when the line snapped he was headed for him. It was more than the shark being a bully as they stated. He was hungry and wanted his meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!