Attending conference at Hilton near DTD--stay at SSR, AKV, or OKW?

knockUout

Mouseketeer
I am attending an anesthesia conference in March at the Hilton near Downtown Disney. I currently have reservations at the Hilton. I discovered today that there was availability at SSR and AKV for the dates I need (was surprised). OKW has availability for 2 of 3 nights. I could eliminate taxi fare 1 way from MCO by using Magical Express if I stayed onsite. We have big family trip planned for June 2013 and will probably not travel to Disney in 2014 (Washington D.C. or Cancun) so I have points available for April 2013 that I was going to end up banking. I will be traveling by myself so my hubby wants me someplace safe:). Which resort would you suggest? Friday night I will need to go to Guest Services at DTD or one of the parks to check on the remaining days of our no-expiration tickets that we will be using in June. I have Saturday late afternoon/evening free and was thinking about touring World Showcase at Epcot. Our four sons (and my DH) avoid shopping like the plague so this would be an opportunity for me to peruse World Showcase at my leisure. So......, needing to travel to Hilton near DTD 3 days (will take taxi). Where should I stay and why? Our home resort is BCV and have only stayed there or BWV. Thanks for suggestions.

the congress park area of SSR is basically walking distance to the hilton.

google map

not sure if the link will work - just google "hilton downtown disney" and look at the map.

Definitely SSR. OKW would be my second choice. AKV is about as far away from the Hilton as you can get and still be on WDW property so I wouldn't stay there in this situation.

SSR, walking distance esp in Congress park (as noted).

If you have CME dollars, you likely won't be able to use them for the housing portion using points for DVC unless you can do per diem for rooms, almost no one can. You also won't be able to deduct any housing portion on taxes using points even if used professionally. If any of this matters. The last time I had a meeting at the Hilton I stayed across the street at the then Grovesner and now Wyndham hotel so that I could use my company CME dollars but cheaper than the Hilton and much closer than SSR.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will book SSR and request Congress Park. Dean, thanks for advice regarding CME dollars. I am in solo practice/owner so the room reimbursement would be coming from my business account. I will be able to deduct flight and meeting expenses. Thanks again. Have never been to SSR. Like the fact that I can walk to conference at the Hilton if I choose.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will book SSR and request Congress Park. Dean, thanks for advice regarding CME dollars. I am in solo practice/owner so the room reimbursement would be coming from my business account. I will be able to deduct flight and meeting expenses. Thanks again. Have never been to SSR. Like the fact that I can walk to conference at the Hilton if I choose.
You're welcome. You'll still lose the ability to pay with pretax dollars for cash compared to after tax dollars used for the points albeit already paid. I've been to several CME meetings where I didn't have much or any room costs. These were using either my Marriott reward points or timeshares. This last summer I had the paperwork sent back to me by my company because the numbers were too low. While it's theoretically possible for companies to pay per diem on the room like they can meals, very few do. I asked since I though it was a win win and I had the timeshare and other options but they weren't willing. I also ran it by our Hosp CFO and he said they didn't do it either. It's not a big deal but it would be nice if I had the option.

We have stayed at SSR in congress park for the past 2 years when we attended the Florida tow show. My husband walked over to the Hilton everyday. I hate to say that we ate short on points and HAVE to stay at the Hilton this year. Really quite bummed that we won't be ON property and already trying to figure out transportation for my youngest and me to and from parks. Have fun!

At least you still get EMH stating at the WDW Hilton. They share a bus service with the other DTD hotels on Plaza. It seems they aim for 30 minute departures (when WDW busses aims for 20). I know their MK bus only goes to the TTC.
(On one trip we were at SSR, and some relatives were at the Royal Plaza, and they weren't impressed with the bus service) but it does work OK if you are spending a day at the parks, less well if you are going back in the afternoon.

Since you are a DVC member, I would not mind you walking to SSR and taking their bus, but I dislike paying for non-DVC members/guests using "my" transportation.

SSR is definitely the best choice as previously stated!

Our first ever DVC stay was at SSR - we had requested Congress Park and were granted the request - it was about a 8-10 minute walk to DTD Marketplace.

So you're looking at 12-15 minutes to DTD if my memory serves me well!

The Hilton is nice, we have stayed there as well - but it just doesn't have the magic that a Disney resort does! We stayed there while they were remodeling a few years ago, and things were really shaping up!

Be sure to check and see if your conference has after hours tickets available at a conference rate, they can be a pretty good deal, depending on the negotiated price!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter