Atlanta Area Hotel Rec

SCmom3

Mouseketeer
We'll be driving from upstate SC to Disney in May. To break up the drive and save our sanity with three kids (almost 4, almost 3 and 14 months) we plan to do it in two days. I'm looking for an inexpensive hotel in the Atlanta area, preferably south of the crazy morning rush hour traffic. It would be great if it had a pool too. Any ideas?

Staying south of Atlanta is wise but I don't have any specific leads for you other than going to tripadvisor.com to look at reviews from other customers. Hopefully you can punch in a few cities/towns and see the ones that look acceptable. Good luck!

I recommend that you travel far enough south of Atlanta to stay south of Hudson Bridge Road, which is exit #224 on I75. Even though you will be traveling the next morning in the opposite direction of most traffic, that exit is pretty much the beginning of heavy congestion traveling northward.

At exit #221 (Jonesboro Road) there is a Courtyard by Marriott and a Fairfield Inn & Suites.

Exit #218 (Hwy20, Hwy 81, McDonough-Hampton Road) has a few more choices, including a number of restaurants. Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Super 8, Econo Lodge, Comfort Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn, Best Western Inn & Suites, Howard Johnson, Country Hearth Inn.

Both of these exits are considered to be in McDonough, GA. It is a decent & safe area. You will be well-positioned to zip on down to Disney the next day, probably in 6 hours or so, depending on how often you stop and how fast you drive!

JanB said:
I recommend that you travel far enough south of Atlanta to stay south of Hudson Bridge Road, which is exit #224 on I75. Even though you will be traveling the next morning in the opposite direction of most traffic, that exit is pretty much the beginning of heavy congestion traveling northward.

At exit #221 (Jonesboro Road) there is a Courtyard by Marriott and a Fairfield Inn & Suites.

Exit #218 (Hwy20, Hwy 81, McDonough-Hampton Road) has a few more choices, including a number of restaurants. Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Super 8, Econo Lodge, Comfort Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn, Best Western Inn & Suites, Howard Johnson, Country Hearth Inn.

Both of these exits are considered to be in McDonough, GA. It is a decent & safe area. You will be well-positioned to zip on down to Disney the next day, probably in 6 hours or so, depending on how often you stop and how fast you drive!

Yes...Hudson Bridge or Eagle's Landing area. Much better!

waynesgirl said:
Yes...Hudson Bridge or Eagle's Landing area. Much better!

I agree. If you can get closer into the tow and away from the highway is better. Down in that area is know for its small town squares that are cute and friendly!

I drove to WDW a few years ago and DH and I stayed in the Country Inn & Suites in Macon on the way down. Country Inn & Suites hotels are simple, but clean and comfortable and offer a continental breakfast.

My husband has done some extended work trips in the Atlanta area and he knows which areas are safe...he says stay away from Decatur.

On the way back, we stayed in the Country Inn & Suites in Kennesaw (north of Atlanta), which we very much liked as well.

If you want recommendations for north of Atlanta for your return trip, here are some options.

If you are coming from upstate South Carolina, then I assume that you'll use I85 between SC and Atlanta? Kennesaw is, indeed, a good area, but it won't be on your route. It's on I75 north of Atlanta.

The best, safest hotels out I85 northeast of Atlanta will be at Sugarloaf Parkway (exit 107), Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road (exit 111), and Buford Drive (Mall of Ga, exit 115). This area is about a 7 hour drive from Disney.

If your route is I20 between SC and Atlanta, then you'll probably want to drive on out to the Conyers area. I'm not as familiar with that area. But you would, indeed, want to go on outside the perimeter (I285) and probably past Lithonia.

I work for hotels, so I can't give specific names on boards, but most Macon hotels are good, too. It's also where they filmed the new Clint Eastwood movie.

Stayed in the McDonough on my trip home this month. Lots of good hotels. We stayed in the holiday inn express. More food choice's than you could want. Also had a Starbucks just down the road which made everyone's morning so much better:worship:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter