ATL/ Southwest Changing Planes

BLLB

DIS Veteran
First time flying to MCO with a change in planes. We are flying Southwest from CAK to ATL, then ATL to MCO. We have an arrival time of 8:35 in ATL, departing for MCO at 9:40. it seems like the Southwest concourse is pretty easy to manage. Am I off-base? Is this going to be a disaster?

that is assuming your flight is on time, worse that can happen is boarding for second flight has started before you get to the gate. the second flight could and I mean could have overnighted at the gate. boarding for second flight should start about 910 and even with arriving on time could take you until 850 to deplane first flight. from what I remember you can have a walk from one gate to another even with same airline at ATL

First time flying to MCO with a change in planes. We are flying Southwest from CAK to ATL, then ATL to MCO. We have an arrival time of 8:35 in ATL, departing for MCO at 9:40. it seems like the Southwest concourse is pretty easy to manage. Am I off-base? Is this going to be a disaster?

You'll be fine. You don't have a ton of time if your first leg is delayed, but no sense in worrying about that.

Even if your connecting flight were to be in a different terminal, still no need to worry.

BTW, curious, is this AM or PM, and mind if I ask what month? I ask just thinking about weather.

Also, we have EBCI, so I can see us sitting close to the front of the plane on the flight to ATL. Should make deplaning a "little" easier.

We changed planes around 8:30 am in Atlanta on a Friday morning in late October, and we had about an hour layover. It was perfectly fine. Don't worry :)

The flights are AM, April 1. Thanks for all the replies.

:thumbsup2

Atlanta's obviously a very busy airport but I find things 'usually' run smoothly in the morning. Better to be flying in the AM when lesser chance of afternoon weather (either in Atlanta or MCO).

People tend to worry because of its size but read the maps, follow the signs, and you'll be A-OK.

Have a great trip!

Also, we have EBCI, so I can see us sitting close to the front of the plane on the flight to ATL. Should make deplaning a "little" easier.

As PP mentioned, keep in mind that boarding for your next flight will begin at 9:10am. With EBCI, you'll want to make it to your gate by then in order to get the value of EBCI and board at your boarding position. I agree with PPs that if everything is on time, you should be fine. I think ATL, while very busy, is a pretty easy airport to navigate.

I've flown SW through Atlanta several times with only a 45 minute layover. I also purchased EBCI so I could be near the front of the plane on the first leg. The gates for SW are in a small area, you will not have to go far for your second flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter