At what age do guys stop eating everything that is not nailed down

My boys are 23 and almost 20. They hardly eat. Both have around a 28 inch waist. They have never been big eaters, but neither my husband or myself are big eaters.

Full disclosure my dh is a little overweight but he is older then I am he knew I had bought something for a pot luck and he ate it anyway

I wanted to add that I googled this they say lack of sleep so I feel like I am being blamed my day starts at 7am and ends at 8pm he gets up with me but goes to bed later should I make him get up later so he is not so hungry

Well, my husband is 38 and eats a lot.

However, eating something that you bought for a special event and he knew it isnt a matter of hunger, that's just selfish and disrespectful ‍:sad2:

Should you make him get up later??? This is a grown man we are talking about. He needs to be in charge of his own sleeping, eating, exercising, etc. If he wanted to eat less/better/loose weight he would do it, or try. It's not your responsibility.

I was married to a guy like this. He was 35 when we divorced. Despite my having problems maintaining weight, he'd eat my leftovers, and everything in the fridge making a huge mess in the middle of the night and leaving me with nothing I had planned to eat (I won't go seek out food...I rarely find myself "hungry"). He was thin and fit, but could easily eat 4000 calories a day. Honestly, it was kinda gross sometimes.

What age do guys stop eating everything that is nor nailed down I thought it was mid 20s

DH is 48, and it hasn't happened yet. :laughing:

Full disclosure my dh is a little overweight but he is older then I am he knew I had bought something for a pot luck and he ate it anyway

That is a problem! If he knew it was for a party, he should have left it alone. Next time, I'd put a big bright label on it as a second line of defense - but really, it's on him since he did know.

I wanted to add that I googled this they say lack of sleep so I feel like I am being blamed my day starts at 7am and ends at 8pm he gets up with me but goes to bed later should I make him get up later so he is not so hungry

I think there is something to the sleep theory. (And I've definitely been known to snack when I'm tired.) But his sleep isn't something you can control, so it's not your fault. My own DH does the same thing - just gets watching TV and forgets to go to bed!

Last edited:
Some men can eat a lot and burn off the calories. Every guy I think is different in the appetite. My husband can eat a lot after playing golf and working all day. When we are at home he does not eat very much. And I do know a few men brothers who both had the by gastric surgery and really had learn their eating habits after that. But they did not like carrying the weight. I think most men can be so different in eating and how they can burn calories or burn it off.
I guess if I bought something for a reason I might buy 2 so they could have one.....:rotfl:

What age do guys stop eating everything that is nor nailed down I thought it was mid 20s

Actually never had that problem, although both my boys ate hearty healthy meals which I cooked - neither was much into junk food between meals. As for my husband, he has never been a heavy eater. My very petite 23 yr old g'dau. eats more than me, but mostly at mealtimes.

Dh knows better than to eat something he knows is for a special occasion, has never been tempted to as far as I know.

If he ate something that he knew was for a potluck, like the pp said it's about being inconsiderate and not so much eating everything that isn't nailed down. My youngest teen boy eats pretty much everything in sight but he knows to stay away from food that is meant for something else.
Next time, put a note on it, but hopefully you discussed this with him and he won't do it again.

However, eating something that you bought for a special event and he knew it isnt a matter of hunger, that's just selfish and disrespectful ‍:sad2:
Those aren't the exact words that come to my mind, but the DIS is more family friendly than that, so I'll just agree with you here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter