Asbury Park, NJ…Save Tillie...corn connection?

C

charlie,nj

With the Bruce Springsteen concert coming up on Tuesday live from Asbury Park, NJ on the Today show. I thought some of you might like to click around Asbury Park. Hey Jersey people some of the sites really bring back great memories. I used to spend my summer vacations in Ocean Grove and hit the beach/boardwalk in Asbury Park when I was young. Those were the day’s! (hey Pete isn’t that your neck of the woods?) Asbury Park is making a come back. (a rising)

Hey Willie Madame Marie’s hut is still there.
(she's waiting for you)

Asbury Park net

Save Tillie!
(check out Asbury Park Then and Now in left hand column)

Stone Pony

I thought the cops finally busted Madam Marie??? :confused:

;)

Thanks for the links buddy! :D Then new CD comes out Tuesday. . :bounce: .. and I did read where the song "The Rising" is inspired in part by The Boss' efforts to help rebuild/reinvigorate Asbury Park. . .

Save Tillie!!! :D

PS: I'm planning on spending most of next summer in Philladelphia, Charlie. . . how does a DIS Meet at the "Stone Pony" sound to you? :)

Here's a couple pics for ya Charlie. . :cool:

bandtillie.jpg

mmarie1.jpg

:D

There was a huge article on last Sundays, not todays, Philadlephia Inquirer on Asbury Park.. it was a very interesting read...

The listed revatilization plans, photos, interviews with residents, etc.

Someone recently told me that they've built a brand new Stone Pony. Say it isnt true! :D

I remember seeing the Ramones there, circa 1980 :D

My friend's parents used to have a house at Ocean Grove every summer. We'd always go and visit on a weekend and have a great time. I remember the two of us fishing with corn who knows where. Another time I remember being on their boat, sitting up front, and seeing an electric eel. :D Those were great summers.

WillyJ – the Stone Pony sounds good to me. Funny I have the same picture of Madam Marie’s with my two son’s standing in front of it. (everyone in Jersey probably does too) Howard Stern played a few minutes of each song from the new Bruce CD last week. He did it because Gary wanted to see if the record company would call to stop him. The songs were good the only bad thing was Stern ripping into Bruce.

CindyB – I think the Asbury Parks down fall was the city politician’s corruption. I heard they sold the whole beachfront to a developer who tired up Asbury Parks rebirth for years and years. The city just recently regained control of the beachfront hence the new development. There is a rumor that at one time things were so bad that the city father’s were selling the copper off of Convention Hall for scrap money.

SeaSpray – the Stone Pony is still there. Some guy from Jersey City who owns a joint called the Hard Grove Café purchased it and got it on it’s feet again. With the new rebirth of Asbury Park there were plans to tear it down and move it. But everyone protested and the plans were changed.

Pin Wizard – We stayed in Ocean Grove 3 weeks every summer. Funny I remember fishing with corn and seeing eels too. I think it was in the lake between Asbury Park and Ocean Grove. That’s the lake that had the Swan boats.

Asbury is prime real estate waiting to happen. The people are ready to make it work. And the legal entanglements have finally been sorted out.

Downtown shopping is in a revival right now. Bruce has been a huge supporter. He also used local church choirs to open his Asbury Park Convention Hall shows this past December trying to raise $$$.

It's got a long way to go....but Asbury is COMIN' BACK!

gina - When we go down to Point Pleasant we make a point of stopping at Asbury Park. It looks like a bomb hit it. My son's are afraid to get out of the car. I try to tell them how nice it used to be, but they don't buy it. Here's to better days ahead. A return to glory days.

Willy - the cops were just jealous of her, for tellin fortunes better then they do.;)

I remember going to Asbury Park and going on the Big Carosel and trying to get the gold ring for a free ride. what fun to remember those days......We also have a pix of Madame Marie's place.....of course everyone from Jersey who went to the shore and stopped at Asbury had to take a picture of that.

Thanks for the memories
Msdznyduck

Charlie, you fished with Corn???? That is just too cool for words. . . . :smooth:

;)

I was in Ohio last week and did hear Howard play some cuts off the new CD and dis Bruce, but he was pretty much on his own with his opinions. . LOL!!

We'll definitely have to put something together next summer buddy. . and don't forget The Boss plays live from Asbury Park on the Today Show tomorrow morning. . . :D

I've got 5 friends anxiously awaiting Asbury Park this week! They just called from the Stone Pony and will be at the Today Show tomorrow :) Keep your eyes out for a HUGE CREEDPIT sign....those are my girls there for Springsteen!

Willy I see you picked up on the corn mention by Pin Wizard. Yes, as you know corn was king back then. A lot of people don’t like bringing it up because of the bad rap corn received during the corn riots of 1970. (remember the corn riot posts and Babs?) That as you know was Asbury Park’s and corns down fall. I don’t think I ever mentioned this before but some very strange happenings took place in the lake between Asbury Park and Ocean Grove.

Saying that there was something in the water was an understatement. It was not only stocked with sunnies but also as Pin mentioned there were electric eels. Who put the eels in the lake and what were they were protecting? We may never know the answer we can only guess. Those fish were no ordinary fish. They were raised on corn. (sorta like myself) When I was young the old timers would tell me to take a handful of corn and toss it in the lake. I knew I was breaking the first CORNmandment by doing so, but I could not resist. (Thou shall not waste corn) The old timer’s were right. Talk about flying fish, I never saw anything like it.

I don’t think Pete likes this getting out but I heard that the DIS was created a couple of miles from the lake. It’s just all too strange for me, the DIS, corn, the lake, and electric eels. There is no truth to the rumor that there is a shrine in Ocean Grove, NJ dedicated to Pete. (Pete you really shouldn’t be starting rumors of that nature)

Don’t you think it is a little too odd that there is a restaurant in WDW on the “Jersey like” boardwalk named “FLYING FISH”???????? Did you ever see their menu????????

Msdznyduck – those were the days

Sydally9367 – did you see your friends?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter