Artist Point, what a...

psupple

WDW Lover
disappointment!!

My DH and I had an AR for 6:45 on Saturday, May 21st. We arrived 10 minutes early but were seated right away. The resaurant wasn't too busy; even so, we were seated right in the middle of the room next to a party of 10. The decor was just okay, not anything like I expected. I had pictured a large open room with small, intimate tables and with dark, mood lighting. Instead, the large picture windows let in all the light from outside as well as the views of guests' balconies. Very different that what I thougt it would be like.

We started with two gin and tonics, which were just fine. We pretty much knew what we were going to eat before we got there, so we ordered everything at once. I had the Mushroom Soup and DH had the Bibb Lettuce Salad, which were both my choices. These were good but quite small overall. For entrees, DH had the Buffalo Steak and I ordered the Pork Chop. He ordered the buffalo rare, and it was reaaaaly rare, not pleasant to eat. The pork chop, on the other hand, was overcooked and dry. The side of mac & cheese was tasty but the portion was just too small!

Our server, Stephen didn't check in with us to see how things were and wasn't around the dining room much. Maybe he was new?

We passed on dessert and paid the check, $85 after DDE and with tip. Boy, did it hurt signing that credit card receipt!

I have to tell you, that turned us off to Disney dining the rest of the week (with the exception of Le Cellier for lunch, which was great!). I still think we saved our $50 thru DDE on all the Strongbow ciders we drank in the UK.

Oh, well. Live and learn. And I've learned I'll never return to Artist Point.

Pam

Hi Pam,

And that's precisely why I don't like to answer posts from people who say "will I like fill-in-the-blank restaurant?" Or "should I eat at A or B?"

We have been to Artist Point and loved it. Everyone has different tastes. While poor service is inexcusable, the opinion of the food is completely up to the individual.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm sorry you did not have a good time.

Bob

Sorry you had a poor experience! I went in January by myself and had a wonderful time! The wine, food and waiter were all so good and I loved the big mural on the wall.

I agree with Bob--personal taste plays a huge part in whether or not a restaurant satisfies or not. Personally, I found the portions (I had the mushroom soup, too) quite filling, but there, again, it's a personal thing, I guess!

I hope your next dining experiences at WDW are more to your liking!

Yep, sometimes the "hype" on these boards scares me. I've made a few ARs (Citrico's to name one) based on rave reviews. Sometimes I read the restaurant reviews and people have been to 10 different places and LOVE everything about them--it's starts to feel like a Racheal Ray show!!! Anyway, it is all VERY subjective and I try to remember that.

FWIW, we really enjoy Artist Point and think Le Cellier is "just fine." I wonder where you got the idea about the atmosphere because it certainly doesn't have intimate, cozy tables, it is very open, lots of large windows, and fairly bright. As for the buffalo steak's doneness, I have found that when something is "rare" at a restaurant, they REALLY mean it. It is just about raw and cool. I don't know how people can stomach it. So do you think the 'rareness' was the restaurant's fault?

Christine-LOL about a "Rachael Ray" episode! heehee!

I agree about the atmosphere at AP...I wish it were a bit more cozy. But other than that, I really love the food here. I had that mushroom soup and is was delicious, and if they gave me more, I am sure I could have eaten it, but I would not have been able to finish my entree!

I have this problem with Fulton's. So many people rave about it, but after DH and I ate there, we felt VIOLATED! LOL.

I totally agree with the responses. Personal taste is VERY subjective.

We have eaten at Artist Point numerous times and it is one of my personal favorites. I think the Filet Mignon there is one of the best I have had anywhere.

Also, perception also plays a part of the whole dining experience. Your pre-concieved perception was that it was going to be small, dark, and intimate. You were immediately disappointed because it didn't match your expectations. Things like that have an effect on the rest of the meal.

Also, if the steak was ordered "rare" - in most steakhouses, that means RARE. If it was undercooked, it isn't wrong to send it back and tell the chef to maybe make it medium-rare.

Sorry you did not have a pleasant meal.

I also agree with others that taste is truly a personal issue. AP has been one of our favorite dining experiences since they opened. Especially the Buffalo. I have always found the potrions there to be more than I could eat. (last visit was 4/2005)

Two things come to mind - If I am seated somewhere that I am less than happy with & there are other empty tables, I ask nicely to be seated at me preferred table & am almost always changed to that seat. The worst they can do is say no.

Also, rare means seared on the outside & red all the way thru at most restaurants. If this is what you got upon ordering, you could have still have sent it back & requested that it be cooked to medium or medium rare if you preferred that. LIkewise if the Pork was overcooked & dry - send it back. I would & have (never had to at AP, but I have no qualms about asking for corrections if necessary)

Sorry you had a disappointing experience at AP.......

wildernesslodgelover said:
I have this problem with Fulton's. So many people rave about it, but after DH and I ate there, we felt VIOLATED! LOL.

I know what you mean about Fulton's. We went there way back in 1996 and were so disappointed. In reading the boards for my next trip, I've been shocked to see that it is still operating and people are actually trying to go there!

We ate at Jiko after reading all of the reviews and raves here and we had a horrible time. So horrible that after our trip we complained and after investigating WDW sent us $40 Disney Dollars!

We loved Artist Point when we ate there twice this past November. We loved our server Pok and the food was delicious. The musroom soup and the berry cobbler are worth the trip alone!

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy it but I understand as our trip to Jiko was certainly less than we had expected.

Christine said:
Yep, sometimes the "hype" on these boards scares me. I've made a few ARs (Citrico's to name one) based on rave reviews. Sometimes I read the restaurant reviews and people have been to 10 different places and LOVE everything about them--it's starts to feel like a Racheal Ray show!!! Anyway, it is all VERY subjective and I try to remember that.

FWIW, we really enjoy Artist Point and think Le Cellier is "just fine." I wonder where you got the idea about the atmosphere because it certainly doesn't have intimate, cozy tables, it is very open, lots of large windows, and fairly bright. As for the buffalo steak's doneness, I have found that when something is "rare" at a restaurant, they REALLY mean it. It is just about raw and cool. I don't know how people can stomach it. So do you think the 'rareness' was the restaurant's fault?

As for the atmosphere, it's probably something I conjured up in my head based on various reviews I had read on these boards. Unfortunately, it was not what I had "dreamed up", and that had started the night off badly.

I don't think the 'rareness' of the buffalo was entirely the restaurant's fault, as my DH typically orders his steaks rare (and sometime medium rare, depending on the restaurant), so he assumed the buffalo should be cooked tht same way. So it may have been the type of meat - buffalo compared to beef - but it was barely cooked. Both our faults, I guess.

Thanks for everyone's comments, I totally agree. I guess I'll chalk it up to a bad night and leave it at that.

Pam

Unfortunately the only REAL way to know if you like a place or not is to actually go. And that means disappointment is always possible.
Should add that while you never know about the food or the service until you actually dine at a particular spot, the "ambiance" can often be ascertained beforehand. Lots of times when were were considering restaurants for the first time, we would visit the particular hotel and just have a "look-see'.
We did that with Palio, Blue Zoo, Citricos (among others) so at least we knew what the place looked like before we went.

Tinkerbelle739 said:
We loved Artist Point when we ate there twice this past November. We loved our server Pok and the food was delicious. The musroom soup and the berry cobbler are worth the trip alone!

Now, here is an example of a difference of opinion. I love Artist Point but I don't care for their berry cobbler. There's really nothing wrong with it but it is not cobbler in the traditional sense. I see LOTS of raves for the cobbler and I've seen quite a few disappointments also when people come back and say they tried it and it wasn't really "cobbler." I felt the same way after I had it. It was berries on top of what seemed to be some type of shortcake. It is probably one of my least favorite desserts in WDW but a lot of people really like it.

Christine,

I agree with you about the berry cobbler at Artist Point not being a "traditional" cobbler. Coming from the South - I guess Oklahoma is still considered "the south" - my mom and grandmother made some of the most incredible cobblers ever. And peach cobbler is still king in some parts.

However, I loved the berry cobbler at Artist Point. It is my favorite dessert in all WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter