Arthritis treatment

I could recommend a natural, plant-based pain remedy that is legal in Illinois (which is where I assume the OP lives based on his/her profile pic) with a prescription, and by next year will be legal without one. You'll probably still have arthritis pain, you just won't care.

Cocaine, crystal meth and PCP will also make OP forget about arthritis pain in the same way as the "plant" you're fond of, and they're about equally as good for you.

OP, I feel your pain, literally. Have lots of arthritis/degenerative issues and can't do NSAIDs due to Crohns. I'm not a big pill person, I have enough meds, so I just "tough it out". Injections do help a bit, but they have their own issues and I very rarely do them (last one was 2 years ago). The best thing I do to treat it is exercise. Obviously, you need to consult with a doctor first, but the more you can strengthen muscles around a joint, the more stable the joint will be. Works for me, but again, you must consult a doctor first to make sure you don't cause further damage.

Best of luck!!!

Not sure about medications or certain remedies, but one of the best things I did was to get on an anti-inflammatory diet. Someone mentioned turmeric tea, I take that as well as fish oil. Just run it by your dr. (I would guess you have a rheumatologist?) just to make sure of any medication interactions.

I'm sorry I don't have any non anti-inflammatory drug suggestions. I have psoriatic arthrits and tried Mobic (meloxicam) but it made me bleed so had to go on Methotrexate. It took my pain away, but I hate that I'm taking it, but I couldn't live with the pain-it's a vicious cycle. My thumbs have been acting up lately too. I hope you are able to find something that works for you. You really want to get tha inflammation down to prevent further damage. The longer you stay inflamed, the more permanent damage will occur. That's what convinced me to try methotrexate.

I don't think they give methotrexate for osteo arthritis, which it sounds like what OP has. I believe psoriatic arthritis is autoimmune. Methotrexate is for autoimmune disorders I think.

Have you tried Volatern (Voltaren?) Gel (Anti-flammotory). This gel has helped me a lot in various parts of my body.
This is what the doctor prescribed but insurance won't approve it until I try another pill first. They don't seem to care that the first one gave me pretty severe gastritis

I could recommend a natural, plant-based pain remedy that is legal in Illinois (which is where I assume the OP lives based on his/her profile pic) with a prescription, and by next year will be legal without one. You'll probably still have arthritis pain, you just won't care.
Not an option. I have a disabled daughter that I need to care for

I haven't read all the posts, but I wanted to make a suggestion in case no one else has. Both of my knees are bone on bone. I have injections that are supposed to last 3 to 6 months. So far, it's been closer to 6 for me. Those help me much more than the 2 pills I take. They have made an amazing difference in my quality of life. You'd probably have to go to a rheumatologist to get them. I don't remember what they're called, but your doctor should know. My rheumatologist said they're similar to botox, which should help you know what to ask for. Unfortunately, I don't know, if they work for thumbs. Mine aren't quite that bad yet. Good luck. I really feel for you & hope you find something that will help. :hug:

This falls under "really odd but doesn't hurt to try" home treatment, but my DH uses gin-soaked raisins for arthritis in his shoulder. He notices a difference when he doesn't have them. You can google it. I have a square container that I cover the bottom with golden raisins (must be golden). Then I pour enough gin to cover them and cover the container loosely while they soak it up for a day or so, then put the sealed lid on to keep moisture in. About 9 raisins or a teaspoon daily.

YMMV (not sure how it would do with bone-on-bone) but throwing this out there for anyone that it might help!
Interesting. I have rheumatoid & osteoarthritis. I'll give it a shot. It can't hurt to try.

This is what the doctor prescribed but insurance won't approve it until I try another pill first. They don't seem to care that the first one gave me pretty severe gastritis

Wow - I did not want a pill. Not a pill person. I had no clue some insurance would do this recommending another pill first. Are pills that much cheaper. I know this is expensive and some insurance companies will give the generic brand. It's all about money.........I hope you find some relief.

Reducing inflammation begins with eliminating sugar as much as possible and eating anti-inflammatory foods.

I have had thumb arthritis too for quite a few years now. I went to a hand PT person after seeing the ortho who said I was way too young for surgery. The PT recommended wearing splints to allow the joints to rest in the correct position at night and if needed during the day. They also told me to avoid any activities that involve gripping to keep further damage from happening as quickly, like gardening and chopping veggies. I know you said you had issues with pills, I started off taking extra strength tylenol which did nothing to control the pain and switched to Aleve which does keep it at bay most of the time. To offer some hope there is a synthetic cartilage (cartiva) that was just approved in the US for big toe surgery and which is already being used for thumb arthritis in the UK, it is waiting approval for thumbs in the US. I'm hoping it will be approved in the next few years before my thumbs become misshapen.

Not that you need more suggestions :) but I thought I would throw my two cents in. I had to go on a 1,000 mg a day sodium limit diet for vertigo related to migraines. Not only has my vertigo disappeared, but I have had a whole host of nice "side effects" I had some neuropathic pain for YEARS from viral damage in one of my legs...gone! Various GI troubles, gone! Blood pressure...lower! It has been unbelievable. I do think there is some sort of inflammation effect from the typical high sodium Western diet. Anyway, just thought I would mention it. I hope you get some relief soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter