Art Prices

Tink1987

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

We have booked the EBTA in May 2013 and it will be our first Disney cruise - we are both mega excited! :)

Even though we obviously have a while to go, I would like to start saving towards a nice piece of art to buy while onboard. I have searched online but I am struggling to find just an idea of prices?

Is it possible anybody could please let me know what prices start from, even for the smallest piece? Would be much appreciated, just so I have an idea of what to aim for!

Thanks very much all :cool1:

We haven't purchased any art on board. However, it was probably because I was scared off by looking at the price tags. The pieces I saw that we were interested in on the Wonder last week were all priced at $350-$450. I couldn't even tell you if that meant it came with the frame or just the art itself.

I saw a piece that I liked but it was $3,850 :eek: Cheapest were the unframed prints for $40.

Thanks very much both - I think anything up to like $600 I wouldn't mind spending if we really liked it! As that's only like £370 to us in the UK. Would prefer it to be framed though for that price as that would be an extra expense when we got home!

I wonder if I could get it shipped from the Magic when we docked in Barcelona - save me having to worry about it on the plane home to the UK?

I purchased art in the gift shop a few years back. They sent it out of a warehouse in Orlando as they had only the one on the ship.

Beware, I did not get my art as promised. I had to call DCL and inquire about it. Seems as if the ship forgot to send the order stateside for fulfillment. Once they knew about it, it was shipped within days. Just keep your receipts in case something similar happens.

I got one on the Fantasy MV and also last year on the Alaska cruise. They typically come framed (as seen onboard) and come from a warehouse stateside. Typically takes about 4-6 weeks to receive.

I purchased art in the gift shop a few years back. They sent it out of a warehouse in Orlando as they had only the one on the ship.

Beware, I did not get my art as promised. I had to call DCL and inquire about it. Seems as if the ship forgot to send the order stateside for fulfillment. Once they knew about it, it was shipped within days. Just keep your receipts in case something similar happens.

Thank you very much for the advice! :thumbsup2

I got one on the Fantasy MV and also last year on the Alaska cruise. They typically come framed (as seen onboard) and come from a warehouse stateside. Typically takes about 4-6 weeks to receive.

Ah, so I may have a problem as I am from the UK getting it shipped home....would probably cost a lot more!

Do you mind me asking what you chose Emily and how much it cost?

Ah, so I may have a problem as I am from the UK getting it shipped home....would probably cost a lot more!

Do you mind me asking what you chose Emily and how much it cost?

I've got a Randy Noble piece that he did for the Alaska cruises last year and this year I got the piece that Noah did for DCL. Both were under $500, but I don't remember what they charged for shipping.

DCL has now taken over the art gallery. It used to be outsourced to horrible vendors. Now that Disney runs it, it is very smoothly.

You buy the art work as it appears (framed or unframed), unless otherwise noted. We have purchased many pieces well under the $400 dollar mark. We carry ours off the ship but we drive to the terminal and our car is right there.

Do you know if there is a list of artwork that will be on an upcoming cruise?

My daughter saw a piece of art at the Pop Gallery shop in DownTownDisney. It was by artist Fabio Napoleoni.

667519.jpg

She really is hoping there will be some of his work on the cruise. Is there a way to find out before we embark?

Just as a PP said, DCL runs the art areas now. On the newer ships it is a nicer gallery not just a hallway. We have bought pieces in the $1000 range and have been happy. We had some charges for shipping but not sure if this is because the pieces we bought were not paintings but pieces of steel, charges were small like $40 to shipping and insurance. Before when it was park west we were always leery but now if we find something we like we know we will actually get it. For the OP since you would be shipping to the UK ask about whatever insurance is included.

Thanks very much all - hopefully will be saving up for a couple of nice pieces of art! :-)

I bought a piece from the Disneyland GAllery a couple of years ago and the shipping was very little and it included insurance. The piece came in a real wood crate which was very suprising since I paid less than $50 for shipping and crating.

Can you tell me how the art comes when it is shipped? Does it come in a crate?

We have purchased quite a lot of Disney art off the ships. I have to say that it is much better now that Disney does everything. Shipping costs are always reasonable. They normally wrap the art in bubble wrap and then box it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter