Arrival night character meal?

JoyAhead

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! First time poster and first time Disney trip planner as well! My husband and I are taking our 5 year old to Disney in the fall. None of us have ever been to Disney, so we are clueless! I feel like I've read blogs, forums and posts for days and am still pretty clueless.

So my first (probably of many) question is, what resort character meal would you recommend for arrival night? We would love somewhere that we can eat and then watch fireworks. (What time are fire works in fall/winter??) We will be coming off a long travel day, but want some fun way to kick off the trip. Thanks!!

WE always book Chef Mickeys for our first timer meal, and have been doing so since my DGD was 4. I know CM does not get a lot of love, but I cannot think of a more fun way to kick off a DIsney trip than hopping on the monorail and taking a ride around for a first peek at the MK, and then dinner with Mickey and friends. Or dinner and then an evening spin. We love it!

Here's a vote for 1900 Park Fare - not the Fab 5 characters, but a nicer interaction and better food and atmosphere. You'll see Cinderella, Prince Charming and the stepsisters. Also you can watch fireworks from around the boat dock near Narcoossee's. I'm not a huge fan of Chef Mickey's, but there is something to be said for monorail+Contemporary+Mickey and friends. The food, then, is secondary.

Hi everyone! First time poster and first time Disney trip planner as well! My husband and I are taking our 5 year old to Disney in the fall. None of us have ever been to Disney, so we are clueless! I feel like I've read blogs, forums and posts for days and am still pretty clueless.

So my first (probably of many) question is, what resort character meal would you recommend for arrival night? We would love somewhere that we can eat and then watch fireworks. (What time are fire works in fall/winter??) We will be coming off a long travel day, but want some fun way to kick off the trip. Thanks!!
one thing to remember is there is a $10.00 per person charge if you miss your ressie because of delayed flight which can happen with no warning. not saying not to do what you are planning but just be warned as it does happen. my first night I would plan on a counter serve meal at a monorail resort as that is a walk up and watch fireworks from there. if weather is nice you could boat over from Magic Kingdom to Fort Wilderness and get take out chicken from Trails End and eat at the beach while waiting for fireworks. again no ressie needed in case of delay

We like 1900 Park Fare better then Chef Mickey's. We had a bad experience at Chef Mickey's and don't care to go back. We loved 1900 Park Fare and the interactions with character are much better.

WE always book Chef Mickeys for our first timer meal, and have been doing so since my DGD was 4. I know CM does not get a lot of love, but I cannot think of a more fun way to kick off a DIsney trip than hopping on the monorail and taking a ride around for a first peek at the MK, and then dinner with Mickey and friends. Or dinner and then an evening spin. We love it!

I love the idea of a monorail ride around MK! Do you know if you can see fireworks from Chef Mickeys? Or is there somewhere I can find a list of where you can see fireworks outside of the park? Sorry, I'm such a newbie.

These are all such wonderful ideas! Thank you.

@Betty Rohrer Thats a great point about missing a reservation. We are driving, but it's a long drive and traffic can be unpredictable. Fireworks and take out sound great! Can we boat to fort wilderness from MK without park tickets?

1900 would be our daughter's pick I'm sure. She LOVES princesses. So many great choices!!

Thanks so much everyone!

These are all such wonderful ideas! Thank you.

@Betty Rohrer Thats a great point about missing a reservation. We are driving, but it's a long drive and traffic can be unpredictable. Fireworks and take out sound great! Can we boat to fort wilderness from MK without park tickets?

1900 would be our daughter's pick I'm sure. She LOVES princesses. So many great choices!!

Thanks so much everyone!
yes as that is the main transportation from the Fort to MK. as you walk towards the gate turn around and look at lake, you should see the sign for the boat. just make sure you get in line for the Fort not Wilderness Lodge as they load next to each other. we always drive also. granted we were a group of 14. by the time we checked in and got everyone cleaned up and little ones napped. then got there for our late ressie and the fireworks happened at same time.we just made it and we were rushed but it was only way to get the one ressie done during our trip. not sure I would do it that way again

You can see the fireworks from the Contemporary Hotel, but not from Chef Mickeys. I don't remember the restaurant having any windows that weren't covered. You do get a good view of the fireworks from the skybridge connecting the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower. The music is piped in there as well.

I was thinking about Chef Mickey's for our first night too! I was a bit worried about my 2 year old with the characters though

Last edited:
one thing to remember is there is a $10.00 per person charge if you miss your ressie because of delayed flight which can happen with no warning. not saying not to do what you are planning but just be warned as it does happen. my first night I would plan on a counter serve meal at a monorail resort as that is a walk up and watch fireworks from there. if weather is nice you could boat over from Magic Kingdom to Fort Wilderness and get take out chicken from Trails End and eat at the beach while waiting for fireworks. again no ressie needed in case of delay

This ^^^^. I would be hesitant to book a character meal the first night unless you are 1000% sure you'll be there for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter