Arrival Day - Food/To Do

TinkSassy

DIS Veteran
Hello - we will arrive on the Saturday before Easter into LAX. Renting a car for the duration and so far plan is to stop at IN n OUT on the way to DL (we will be starving based on arrival time - 1pm local).

We have some housekeeping to do with Guest Relations regarding tickets (we will walk over to do that this day vs. waste a valuable opening hour in the morning) so thinking of keeping in low key and turning in early this night to help with the jet lag.

I want to do Trader Sam's in the early evening (what time is best to avoid crowds?). Where should we look at for dinner? Is the best option Downtown Disney or is there somewhere close that is a better option.

Hello - we will arrive on the Saturday before Easter into LAX. Renting a car for the duration and so far plan is to stop at IN n OUT on the way to DL (we will be starving based on arrival time - 1pm local).

We have some housekeeping to do with Guest Relations regarding tickets (we will walk over to do that this day vs. waste a valuable opening hour in the morning) so thinking of keeping in low key and turning in early this night to help with the jet lag.

I want to do Trader Sam's in the early evening (what time is best to avoid crowds?). Where should we look at for dinner? Is the best option Downtown Disney or is there somewhere close that is a better option.
Sorry, are you saying you are going to Trader Sam's but not ordering food? I am confused about your question.

:wizard:

Trader Sam's is great for drinks. They do also have some food, but it's more a bar vibe than a full sit down dinner vibe, so depending on what kind of experience you're looking for you may or may not want to eat there. You really can't go wrong with any of the restaurants in DTD or the hotels, just find a place with a menu you're into and make a reservation because some of them fill up.

We're fans of Tortilla Jo's also.

I love going to Trader Sam's for drinks, but the food isn't really my cup of tea from there or Tangaroa Terrace.

We also have great meals at Ralph Brennan's.

I would definitely go with Tangaroa Terrace and then grab drinks there as well. It has the feeling like you are eating at one of the Disney restaurants that are inside the park itself ( but not actually in the park ). Since it's at the DLH, it's the next best thing!

It looks like the consensus is Tortilla Jo's and that works great for us! I live in an area that has good Mexican food but my friend that it meeting me there does not so this is good! I looked at the Tangaroa Terrace menu and I saw snacks for me - but she is picky when it comes to anything Asian or Island inspired and I don't see anything she would eat outside of the poutine.

It looks like the consensus is Tortilla Jo's and that works great for us! I live in an area that has good Mexican food but my friend that it meeting me there does not so this is good! I looked at the Tangaroa Terrace menu and I saw snacks for me - but she is picky when it comes to anything Asian or Island inspired and I don't see anything she would eat outside of the poutine.
I agree with the PP that TJ's table side guacamole is super good. I too live in an area with good Mexican food, and lived in San Diego for 5 years, and I still think TJ's is really good.

:wizard:

For us, RB's Jazz Kitchen is far and away the best dinner option at DD. It has Cajun and Southern food - the BBQ Shrimp & Grits will make your eyes roll in the back of your head! Plus, they have beignets. And not just any beignets. They have Cafe' Du Monde beignets.

As for Tortillas Jo's, I've had better Mex at probably a dozen other restaurants in my Central Valley town. And the other places are good, not great. I'd rather go to Garden Walk and eat at Tony Roma's, California Pizza Kitchen, House of Blues or Grasslands Meat Market (yummy BBQ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter