Arrival Afternoon at EPCOT and ILL for Guardians and G+ for AK

ryanmilla

DIS Veteran
I'm headed to WDW this Thursday, 4/6, for a solo trip and will arrive at Saratoga Springs around 2:30-3ish pm. My plan is to head into EPCOT that afternoon and just see what I can ride. I wasn't necessarily planning to buy G+ for that day. However, I'd still like to try and ride Guardians if possible. So, my question is, can I try and book a VQ or ILL early in the morning, before I fly to WDW and if so, is it possible to choose a time in the afternoon? I believe I can book the VQs and/or the ILL, I'm just worried it will give me a boarding time sometime before I arrive. Is there a way to choose a late afternoon boarding time?

Second question. My second day is at AK and I'm wondering if it is better to just rope drop FoP or purchase the ILL for it? I'm contemplating whether or not I need to purchase G+ for that day as well. My afternoon is scheduled to be back in EPCOT for the Dive Quest experience, so I don't think I need G+ for that. But I'm happy to get it to enjoy the other rides.

Hi @ryanmilla - sounds like a fun trip! I'll be there too! hehe.

You can pick whatever time is still available for the ILLs - you cannot pick your time for the VQ and since you won't be in the park by 1pm for the second VQ drop, it sounds like the VQ won't work for you on this day.

FoP is not on Genie+ so your options are standby queue or purchase the ILL which means potentially long wait or skip the line. G+ may be worth it if you want to do the Safari and Everest, though AK is a bit short on maximizing what is likely going to be high G+ prices next week.

Crowds are expected to be very dense so I think the choice for you is to spend a little to skip some lines or not!

When Remy was the for purchase ride, we purchased it at our home airport at 7am and chose an evening time. Worked out perfectly. Unless something has changed, I would try that with Guardians.

We would actually be doing that this time, but my little chicken butt wants to wait to ride Guardians until we are there a couple days. 😄

For AK - if you buy Genie + I would actually book safari for the morning (best time to ride we think) and purchase FoP if you can.

Last edited:
I'd try for both the VQ and the ILL for GOTG on your first day. They haven't been enforcing the one hour rule for VQ at Guardians. Worst case scenario you either don't get one or you get one and they don't let you on, but then you have the ILL as a backup.

I'd try for both the VQ and the ILL for GOTG on your first day. They haven't been enforcing the one hour rule for VQ at Guardians. Worst case scenario you either don't get one or you get one and they don't let you on, but then you have the ILL as a backup.
THIS! If you have a park reservation, Book Virtual Queue at 7AM. I was able to do that the other day and we got Boarding group 5 but a delay getting to the park meant we weren't able to use it before it expired.

I stopped and talked to Guest Relations at Epcot and they said they have not enforced return times as strictly for Guardians. We Were called at 0840 AM and Used our Virtual Queue Just after 1PM in the afternoon.

I would encourage you to try for the Virtual Queue, if you are really nervous about it you could always do an ILL but I would go the VQ route because there is no cost.

FYI: It's been reported that Tron Virtual queue IS enforcing their return times, this is only for Guardians.

Happy/Safe travels!

Second question. My second day is at AK and I'm wondering if it is better to just rope drop FoP or purchase the ILL for it? I'm contemplating whether or not I need to purchase G+ for that day as well. My afternoon is scheduled to be back in EPCOT for the Dive Quest experience, so I don't think I need G+ for that. But I'm happy to get it to enjoy the other rides.
Forgot to answer: Rope drop for FoP is my regular plan. Last time we did this we got to the park at 9:30 when it opened at 9 and we were off the ride in about 80 Min.

I wouldn't think you need an ILL but that is up to you. If you are at DAK when it opens, you can get most of the park done very quickly if you move fast in the first hour after it opens.

Thanks everyone for the great tips! I'm gonna try for the VQ and ILL and who knows, maybe I'll get to ride it twice in the afternoon. And I'll also get G+ for AK the next day. Thanks again!

And @champagne&disney I'll see ya there. ;-) I'll the guy walking around like he is on cloud 9. 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter