Arizona/Utah as First ABD?

Magnum_PI

Private Investigator
Hi Folks,

After having our first ABD cancelled due to the pandemic and taking a break for a little while, we're looking at starting with a North America trip to get our feet wet (both with ABD and just getting back into travel in general. I'm immunocompromised, so it's been kind of a while with everything going on!).

We live in CO so this is pretty accessible in terms of flights, etc. But I'm curious - how have others been liking this trip recently? I have some mobility limitations (I'm ambulatory, but I'm slow and have to take breaks) and after talking with the vacantionistas, I think the hiking planned in the trip is at a level I can handle. For context, I visited Moab as a kid but... everything else is new to me! My spouse has never been to any of these places, and I think it would be great to see them together.

So... how's the trip been post-covid? (I couldn't find any super recent trip reports, but feel free to direct me if I'm just bad at searching) Any tips? Thoughts on this itinerary as a first ABD?

If I could make one change, I'd add a day or two to visit Zion. :D But that'll give us a reason to go back!

Thanks for any insight or advice! I've missed you folks while we've been on our travel/Disney trip hiatus, so I'm happy to have a reason to post again.

This trip was my first ABD and started my love affair with ABD. It's still extremely high on my list of favorite ABDs, and I think it's one of ABD's best itineraries. Everyone should see the Grand Canyon! I do love all the places this trip goes.

We had a few folks with mobility issues on my trip. One Adventure Guide would hike up front with the "fast-moving" folks (honestly, nobody was going *that* fast!) and the other Guide would bring up the rear with the folks who were taking it more slowly. Most of the hikes are really more like nature walks, with some uneven terrain, but nothing seriously challenging. The only one approaching difficult is the Delicate Arch hike, and that's more because you're walking on slick rock (it's really called that) than any sort of extreme altitude gain, so you need to be sure you're wearing good hiking shoes.

This trip has changed very little over the years, which I think is a testament to the itinerary.

I obviously haven't done the trip since COVID, so i can't help you there. But my first trip post-pandemic *was* an American Southwest itinerary with another company. It made a great transition back to traveling.

Sayhello

Thank you so much, @sayhello ! Very helpful response, especially as it relates to folks with limited mobility. So glad to hear that you loved this ABD and that it was also your intro to these adventures!

And I’m not sure if you’d remember me, but I remember you from these forums and it’s very nice to hear from you again. 🙂

Thank you so much, @sayhello ! Very helpful response, especially as it relates to folks with limited mobility. So glad to hear that you loved this ABD and that it was also your intro to these adventures!

And I’m not sure if you’d remember me, but I remember you from these forums and it’s very nice to hear from you again. 🙂
I definitely remember you! :) Nice to see you back!

Sayhello

We decided to book it! We're joining the 2023 Sept 13 departure. Fingers crossed for a great time!
You will absolutely have a great time. I think @sayhello has said it all, so I'll chime in that it is definitely one of our favourite ABD trips of all time. You will see some amazing parts of the US and have some pretty amazing experiences while doing it!

I did this trip back in 2007 as my 1st ABD AND was on one of the first handful trips (read still working out the wrinkles). Absolutely loved it as a first. If you are wondering about what kind of wrinkles, the original hotel for the Grand Canyon part left a little bit to be desired- like faucets not working in rooms. The guides checked every room assigned to our group before we checked in and would have a party moved if room was an issue- BEFORE you went in the offending room. Another wrinkle my tour group thought was absolutely hilarious. I was on an adults only week. Well, the hat they gave out, well, they all said ‘Junior Adventurer’ on them. Yep, we all got kids hats. We all took it to mean we were to channel our inner child for the week. The guides had Disney overnight the correct hats. Yep, we all got 2 hats for the trip. I still love to wear my junior adventurer hat as it brings back fond memories.

Hi. I’m really just curious and not making any commentary on people’s choices. Other than people from other countries, I really would like to know why you would choose an expensive tour like ABD for such accessible and easy to get to places like arizona and Utah? Having driven both states and visited lots of sites many times, it just doesn’t seem worth it to me. But what am I missing?

Hi. I’m really just curious and not making any commentary on people’s choices. Other than people from other countries, I really would like to know why you would choose an expensive tour like ABD for such accessible and easy to get to places like arizona and Utah? Having driven both states and visited lots of sites many times, it just doesn’t seem worth it to me. But what am I missing?
You nailed part of it right there when you said you drove. ;) Folks who join tours like this do it for many reasons; not having to drive themselves and think about logistics like keeping luggage safe, doing all the research on hotels and sites, picking restaurants and dealing with any snafus along the way. Even an easy to get to location isn’t effortless. Some also just do it because they prefer traveling in groups and the comradery you get.

i Will answer this with what a person from my tour said night one when the guides asked what we were most looking forward to: ‘not having to make a decision for the next 7 days’. I will also add since you brought up cost. When I did this one back in 2007 ABD was just starting out and this trip was MUCH cheaper (my single supplement was only $250).

I have tried to piece-meal this particular itinerary together for my family several times and, when it comes down to it, adding up the hotel costs (particularly Enchantment Resort in Sedona, which is quite pricey), Grand Canyon hotel booking (you usually need to book these up to a year in advance), meals, driving (I do not want to drive 3+ hours on several days in a rental car), hiring private guides for some of the tours, etc., I found for a bit of an up charge, I could leave this all to ABD (we are doing this trip this summer). There have been other ABDs where, after looking at the itinerary, I decided to put a trip together on my own (Greece and Wyoming for instance), but I am not a big fan of renting cars, in general, and would so much rather have ABD drive me from Phoenix to Moab and provide such a great trip along the way. I did try to find local tour companies to try to replicate the ABD a bit and even looked at other tour companies (Tauck for instance) - ABD just had the itinerary that really worked for my family.

I agree with what the others said above. I will also add, from my POV, the addition of the safety, as a solo traveler, of having companions and Guides on hikes, because it's dangerous to do stuff like that on your own. I also like knowing that somebody expects me to be at a particular place at a certain time, and will notice if I'm not there.

I also really like having people I can share the experiences with, someone I can turn to and say "OMG, do you see that???" If you do that to total strangers, they tend to think you're strange! :)

And I willingly admit it, I'm spoiled. On my very first ABD (this one, Arizona/Utah) I arrived at the meeting place back at the airport late due to snafus at the hotel I was staying at, an accident on the way to turn in my rental car, and problems at the rental car place. By the time I arrived, I was totally frazzled. The Adventure Guides came up to me, said "Are you [Sayhello]?", swept my luggage away, gave me a map of the food court, told me to grab some food to go, and after I did, herded us all out to the motorcoach. I settled in, and realized I could REALLY get used to this! And I have! When I do pre-days or post-days on my own, or travel that is not ABD, I always pine for the Adventure Guides, and for Tinkerbell whisking my luggage from place to place, and not having to worry about restaurant reservations, etc, etc. It's just an easier, more enjoyable way to travel for me. And as long as I can afford it, I'm going to keep doing it.

Sayhello

As the designated logistics person for my family travels, sometimes it's worth the price (or twice the price) to just hand over the reins to someone else and sit back, relax and enjoy the trip, whether this is with Tauck, ABD, or another company. Otherwise there's a part of my brain constantly double checking reservations, the itinerary, location, etc and I need a post vacation vacation 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter