Are you going to DLR this summer or skipping it due to SWGE crowds? I can't decide!

My nephew and his family are DVC at WDW and have been inviting me to go with them for the last several years. I'm a super planner and they've come to rely on me. :love1: The nephew is a teacher, so their trips are either in June or July. Since SWGE won't be open yet at Hollywood Studios, they have decided to skip this summer for a lengthier trip in 2020. Well, I can't wait that long so I'm planning a long overdue solo trip to DLR for my birthday in December. It's a pre-Christmas week, so I'm hoping I will have some moderate days in both parks. I'm also hoping that some of the SWGE crowds will have leveled out a bit by then. Still rather nervous since my last visit to DLR was before the fast pass system existed. I'm used to FPP, so practically everything will be trial by fire on day one.

My nephew and his family are DVC at WDW and have been inviting me to go with them for the last several years. I'm a super planner and they've come to rely on me. :love1: The nephew is a teacher, so their trips are either in June or July. Since SWGE won't be open yet at Hollywood Studios, they have decided to skip this summer for a lengthier trip in 2020. Well, I can't wait that long so I'm planning a long overdue solo trip to DLR for my birthday in December. It's a pre-Christmas week, so I'm hoping I will have some moderate days in both parks. I'm also hoping that some of the SWGE crowds will have leveled out a bit by then. Still rather nervous since my last visit to DLR was before the fast pass system existed. I'm used to FPP, so practically everything will be trial by fire on day one.
This may help: "Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/

I hope you have an enjoyable trip!

:wizard:

I am a pop culture vendor weekly selling wares and an extrovert...so I often stop folks wearing Disneyland shirts and attraction of such and ask them questions about their visit....and then I ask them about SWGE....well one fellow....who last name was Jones.....said that waiting in line was no problem for SWGE, he is already making plans with a bathroom break partner....he waited for 12 hours in 1995....though I am not sure if the fellow's special day was the 3rd or 4th.

We are going at the end of July, and I'm slightly terrified. We're going then because my husband has to be in Anaheim for work, and being that we're from out of state, we do not want to miss the opportunity to go back to DLR. My husband and my kids are Star Wars fanatics, and they're so excited. It will be my birthday, and I am imagining spending my special day in chaos and lines, but at least I'll be in Disneyland. Hopefully it will be fun!

Edit to add question: In late July, is it likely to make a big difference with crowds if we go during weekdays only? Right now we're scheduled for Friday-Monday. There was no difference in hotel prices.

Last edited:
We are going at the end of July, but at least I'll be in Disneyland. Hopefully it will be fun!

Edit to add question: In late July, is it likely to make a big difference with crowds if we go during weekdays only? Right now we're scheduled for Friday-Monday. There was no difference in hotel prices.

summer visitors tend to be week along summer vacation events, so they are usually there for the 5-7 days, so there is no big difference other than that MOndays are crowded because Tuesday is a great airfare savings day to fly out. Whereas, for the rest of the year, four day weekends are more crowded because of special events around the weekends.

... In late July, is it likely to make a big difference with crowds if we go during weekdays only? Right now we're scheduled for Friday-Monday. There was no difference in hotel prices.
Remember that in late July, DLR will be prepared for those crowds -- that makes a very big difference! And they will have had at least a month to adjust on the fly to the SWGE effect in the parks. If things need tweaking (staffing, hours, supplies, etc.), they'll have started making adjustments already by then. AND... you'll have had at least a month to be reading all the news, updates, tips, strategies, etc. on this board to be as prepared as you can be for your trip. That will make a big difference, too. Do your research, make your plans (both a and b), make your reservations 60 days out (especially for your birthday), then get ready to be flexible and to have a great time!

The DL crowds don’t scare me anymore. Not after listening to veterans here like HydroGuy. Plus - and this is kind of counterintuitive - when the crowds come to DL, they really do invest a lot more in managing those crowds, and in keeping all the rides open, etc. It makes a huge difference for enjoyment levels versus visiting at “off peak” times. I find that when I do visit DL “off peak” I am usually disappointed because the parks are not open that long, the lines aren’t really that much shorter, etc.

Avoiding it like the flippin plague!
Our trip this year is end of May. We don't want to be anywhere near the parks during the first several months of Star Wars. We won't return til next year, probably spring.

We aren't going until late October but still expect it to be crazy packed. What is the likelihood that Magic Morning and Extra Magic hour would also add SWGE as an open area?

We aren't going until late October but still expect it to be crazy packed. What is the likelihood that Magic Morning and Extra Magic hour would also add SWGE as an open area?

The million dollar question... There is one planning site that I follow that already has both SWGE rides being available during MM/EMH. I have no idea what they are basing that on or where they are getting their info. I'm just hoping they are correct.

We're not going but just due to finances not due to SWGE opening. Hubby is a huge SW fan and if we could go this year we totally would brave the crowds. I did the original WWoHP within a couple months of opening so I know what to expect in general and we'd just suck it up one day and wait in lines.

We are fortunate to have flexibility in travel times due to our jobs and DD's school (balanced calendar with a pretty lenient absence policy to boot.) We don't generally visit Disney Parks in the summer. We considered pushing DLR back to summer of this year to give us more time to save, but the whole point was to see the parks one more time before SWGE. Therefore, we went in January as planned.

We are planning to cruise with DCL in late 2019 and return to a Disney Park sometime in late 2020.

We are going to WDW this summer. We frequent Disneyland, but this summer we are going to the World. Next year we will go back to Disneyland!!

We plan to be there for SWGE opening day. I am slightly worried but the excitement outweighs it a lot! The way I look at it is that in a few years time I will be glad of the memories of it and won't think oh I wish we hadn't done that because of the crowds.

We are also at WDW in December and hoping we catch their opening date then too!

Initially, we decided that we would not go - no way, no how. Now, we've decided to go in late July, and stay onsite. We figure if it's really crazy, we'll hang out at the pool (which I'm sure will also be crowded) or Downtown Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter