Are we the only ones missing the pirate and cats on POTC?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by ExcitedMama, Oct 21, 2018.

1. ExcitedMama

ExcitedMama DIS Veteran

The pirate by one of the underpasses with the grey cats is missing. The narration is still the same and says “here kitty kitty” but his spot is empty. Behind where he was is the outline of a window with almost a smiling face. Any idea when he will be back?

2. WonkaKid

WonkaKid DIS Veteran

Ha! Thought I was the only one that noticed that. It was gone last week but his voice could still he heard. Today he’s gone and so is his voice. I always enjoy hearing “Here, kitty, kitty, kitty.” In fact, I looked for — and found it — on POTC at Tokyo DL.

ExcitedMama likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DizMe

DizMe Here we gooooo...

That's my favorite part of the ride. I love Ol' Bill and the kitties! I imagine they're just fixing them up. Hopefully they haven't removed them for inappropriate offering of rum to cats :D

ashnjam, lindyv321, rowan1813 and 6 others like this.
  5. Kender

Kender DIS Veteran

Here's hoping they're not gone as long as the donkey was! I swear he was gone nearly a year.

ExcitedMama and WonkaKid like this.
  6. PatMcDuck

PatMcDuck DIS Veteran

I noticed! I kept looking for him last week.

ExcitedMama likes this.
  7. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

We thought it was just us! Heard the voice, but saw nothing. Thought my glasses really needed a good cleaning! Disney fans -- we're SO dedicated! :)

ExcitedMama likes this.
  8. ExcitedMama

ExcitedMama DIS Veteran

Oh, no, I hope the voice being gone isn’t a bad sign for his return!

My son actually noticed first which is impressive since we only go once or twice a year. POTC is one of our favorites so we missed them! Especially with that empty eyesore where they should be.

9. theluckyrabbit

Glad I'm not the only member in the POTC donkey fan club! DH couldn't understand why I was so upset when we would ride and the donkey was still MIA.

Kender likes this.
  10. SOCALMouseMommy

SOCALMouseMommy DIS Veteran

The donkey is my favorite part of the ride!

Kender likes this.
  11. cruisehopeful

cruisehopeful Wishing I was taking a nap on a ship.

I noticed, too. When I rode, the pig scene was also different and I wondered if that was temporary or different.

12. Cal-Pie

Cal-Pie I admit that in the past I've been a nasty

They also took away my favorite character and replaced her with a lame redheaded pirate. Is that permanent?:duck:

StarlitNight05, rowan1813 and Kender like this.
  13. KPeterso

KPeterso DIS Veteran

I noticed the removal of the pirate with his kitties on Saturday. His voice was definitely not there when I rode then. I turned right away to my Mom and pointed out that he was missing. Let's see how long he is gone for. One of the Small World polynesia dolls has been missing for months.

14. figment_jii

figment_jii DIS Veteran

Hopefully he and the kitties will be back soon. In the mean time, there is still the kitty just on the other side of the archway (across the waterway from the donkey). He's pretty hard to see in the low lighting.

Kittyskyfish likes this.
  15. theluckyrabbit

We love that kitty!

Kittyskyfish likes this.
  16. theluckyrabbit

Question about the new red head scene: why are they auctioning off loot to pirates (armed pirates, no less) who can just steal whatever they want? If I were a pirate with a loaded gun (I'm making a guess here!), I don't think I'd want to spend my loot to buy other pirates' loot. As a self respecting pirate, aren't you just supposed to take it?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  17. DizMe

DizMe Here we gooooo...

I wasn't a huge fan of the original scene, but not because it offended me. It was just--dumb. When it first opened, I was old enough to register in what way the redhead was different, but I thought it was weird that she would enthusiastically participate in getting sold to a pirate, no matter what her circumstances. You have put your finger on some of the reasons the current version is silly. For me, they just substituted one dumb scene for another. Doesn't mean I don't like those scenes, but they don't really add up any more than pirates running from women with rolling pins.

ToxicRoyalty and Kittyskyfish like this.
  18. Kittyskyfish

Kittyskyfish NEOH Dis Fans!

And why does Carlos protect the location of Jack Sparrow, even upon threat of death? What has Jack done for the townsfolk to deserve such protection? "Don't tell him, Carlos! Don't be chicken!"

rowan1813 and Kender like this.
  19. theluckyrabbit

We listen especially hard for that line and call it "paying our respects to June Foray." Remember Rocky the Flying Squirrel (and countless other voices from classic animation...)?! When she passed away not that long ago, we rode POTC so many times to pay our respects to her.

20. lindyv321

lindyv321 TTFN! Ta Ta For Now!

I love this thread! I’m so happy that they updated the beginning of the ride back to the skull and crossbones and I CANNOT wait to see the new octopus scene!!

I was happy we also got to see the original auction scene one last time last year. We wants the Redhead!

21. avalon451

avalon451 Errrr... what?

A couple of years ago the guy with the pigs was missing. He reappeared after a bit with some fresh paint.