"Are these underwear yours?" DIS Viking Italian Sojourn 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 10/14 New TR Link!

I actually had a heck of a time jumping ahead a few days before we left for this trip to do the first Food Fight challenge so I could be done before we left since I didn't know how our wi-fi would be. I've never left a challenge unfinished, and I wasn't about to start on this cruise!!!

Hahaha, sadly I'm still missing several villains but have gotten better about finishing the most recent challenges. I just wish there was more time in between them! Two are going to happen during my Disneyland Paris trip so I'll have to scramble to finish them before/after I get back.

Pompeii looks incredible. That tour you went on seemed to be a great one. You guys got some amazing shots of the baths, the graffiti, the brothel...it made me it seem more real, if that makes any sense. Like, they weren't just a historical piece-you could really envision people working and living in those spaces.

Bit of a bummer about the double booked venue space, but I suppose if that hadn't happened then you might not have ended up having such a wonderful dinner with the fellow DISers.

Wow, your room service breakfast looked delicious!

That view from the top of the parking garage...wow. Just stunning. I'm very jealous of how much of Italy you have gotten to explore over the years. You've really gotten to know the country.

DH was killing himself laughing over the people trying to listen with no earbuds! It could definitely be described as an event! And the one time our guide accidentally gave us the wrong channel number...It was so hard to get everyone on the right page that time!!

He's gotten pretty good at getting those quick shots out the window of a moving vehicle! This trip gave him a lot of practice.

The guides were a huge factor in how much we did or didn't enjoy an excursion. Roberto was amazing! So relaxed and funny.

It was one of the excursions I was actually the most excited about because it was really the only one that I had somewhat of an idea of what it would be like. Others we booked, all we had to go on was the description on the Viking website and maybe a quick Google search. We had some surprise hits along the way, but this was a great way to start our cruise trip! It was an awesome excursion.

The Vatican has SO much more than I ever realized, so don't feel bad for not knowing about the Sistine Chapel being there! It's got such a huge reputation on its own, I can see why that would be. Definitely an amazing experience! We have been so lucky to have had the opportunity to visit twice.

Yes, many of us kept commenting throughout the cruise that they didn't seem to understand the definition of the word "guaranteed." It was incredibly frustrating, even though it did seem to work out for most of the folks we were traveling with in the end.
Totally agree. Roberto was great. I could easily spend the whole day at the Vatican museums and St Peters

And for dessert, we both had the chocolate soufflé.

Viking 05-105
by disneymom1024, on Flickr
For our first meal in the main dining room, it was incredibly delicious, the service was great, and we were looking forward to more meals there!

After dinner, we went back to the stateroom and dropped off the camera, then passed through the buffet to get some gelato for DH. I was still stuffed from dinner, but this became almost a nightly occurrence for him.

We checked out the second level of the Explorers Lounge but no one was up there. As we were about to give up and go to bed, we met up with a few DISers settling into a corner of the first floor of the lounge to have some drinks, so we stayed down there for awhile. We knew Chris & Chuck from our ABD, but there were some new faces in Chandra and Patty, then a few more people wandered over and expanded the group to include Kevin & Kate and maybe Will and Karen? We got to hear a lot of interesting and funny stories from the big China ABD trip that the DIS had done and most of those in this group had done.

That chocolate shuffle was for real. I tried to convince the wait staff to make it again later in the cruise. that good. -Will (lol)

When planning our excursion on Sicily I was mostly focused on the winery but a few in our group had heard that Toarmina was not to be missed so we combined them and I am really glad we did - it was such a nice little (well, not *that* little) town. You definitely got a bit more of the facts about the different things as we were more exploring on our own

Your pictures are stunning!

Very cool. My entire impression of Sicily is formed by "The Godfather", so I assume it is 100% inaccurate.

During our tour our driver pointing out towns/areas that some scenes from at least one of the Godfather movies was shot in so you aren't 100% inaccurate

Hi Kristy. Well, I finally got time to catch up on your report. Sometimes life gets in the way and then work got more in the way, so I never had the chance to read until now. I was lucky to meet Pete, Teresa, Cathy (and Dustin) at the Nova Scotia Dismeet a few years ago, so I can imagine a whole cruise with the podcast gang would be fun. Italy is just beautiful. And the food...let's just say I would need to do a lot of walking to burn off the calories!
Interesting side note: I'm listening to Dustin's @DDuck4Life DisDads podcast about your cruise while I write this :p

Hi Kristy. Well, I finally got time to catch up on your report. Sometimes life gets in the way and then work got more in the way, so I never had the chance to read until now. I was lucky to meet Pete, Teresa, Cathy (and Dustin) at the Nova Scotia Dismeet a few years ago, so I can imagine a whole cruise with the podcast gang would be fun. Italy is just beautiful. And the food...let's just say I would need to do a lot of walking to burn off the calories!
Interesting side note: I'm listening to Dustin's @DDuck4Life DisDads podcast about your cruise while I write this :p

Even though I did the other one the visual aids make this TR much better. :rotfl:

Very cool. My entire impression of Sicily is formed by "The Godfather", so I assume it is 100% inaccurate.

Haha I'm a terrible Italian who has never even seen that movie. Now I guess I should watch it since I have been and I can compare.

Wow, your photos are simply breathtaking. As a fellow Sicilian (my great grandmother immigrated from Vizzini) I'm loving seeing the architecture and gorgeous views. Hopefully I can get there one of these days.

Thank you! I'm so glad DH decided to take up an interest in photography, as it has really helped my TRs!! lol

Sicily was the port I was looking forward to the most just because I have heard over and over again growing up that my dad's family is from there. It definitely didn't disappoint! It was so beautiful!

What beautiful photos! The blue sky and clouds really enhance them. Looks like a charming little Italian town.

Thanks! Taormina seemed like the place you think of when you think of a coastal Italian town. It looked like a movie set in some spots! Just totally perfect.

Hahaha, sadly I'm still missing several villains but have gotten better about finishing the most recent challenges. I just wish there was more time in between them! Two are going to happen during my Disneyland Paris trip so I'll have to scramble to finish them before/after I get back.

They have definitely increased the number of events they do every month. While I love the events, I feel like it's going to be impossible to ever collect all of the gold characters! I have all of the villains except Cruella, and I'm missing some of the rainbow characters like Sorcerer Mickey and Rose Gold Minnie. It used to be fun competition with DH but then he had to send his phone in for a long time for a replacement battery and didn't pick up playing again when he got it back, so now I have no one to talk to about it. lol

Pompeii looks incredible. That tour you went on seemed to be a great one. You guys got some amazing shots of the baths, the graffiti, the brothel...it made me it seem more real, if that makes any sense. Like, they weren't just a historical piece-you could really envision people working and living in those spaces.

That is absolutely true. Before the trip I was thinking of it as more of an abstract thing that would be cool to see. But really being there and knowing what the buildings were for and hearing how the ancient people lived their lives really put it into perspective that these were real people with a real way of life who died in a horrific way. Very sobering but interesting experience.

Bit of a bummer about the double booked venue space, but I suppose if that hadn't happened then you might not have ended up having such a wonderful dinner with the fellow DISers.

Wow, your room service breakfast looked delicious!

That view from the top of the parking garage...wow. Just stunning. I'm very jealous of how much of Italy you have gotten to explore over the years. You've really gotten to know the country.

That's very true. It was great of the DIS guys to put the event together, but Viking really seemed to bungle the execution by double booking the space and not getting some of the invites out in time. But it was a nice way to meet lots of people and figure out who was with the group.

The breakfast was very good, and tons of food! This was the only morning we did it, but it was well worth it. I can see using this on the Disney cruise more when we have the kids with us and getting up and ready to go to breakfast will be a bit more time consuming. lol

It was an amazing view! The water was gorgeous, and it was such a picturesque little town. I really loved this day! It has been such a blessing to get to visit so many places in this beautiful country. It was a dream come true to get to go the first time, so getting to not only go again, but also getting to see a lot more of the country, has been truly amazing.

Really enjoyed checking out all your photos!!!

Thank you so much!

Your room service looks tasty!

Beautiful photos from Sicily!!

It was so good and so filling!

It was hard to take a bad picture there. Everything is so gorgeous!

Totally agree. Roberto was great. I could easily spend the whole day at the Vatican museums and St Peters

Oh man, if I could have gotten myself lost in those museums...I'm sure even in 2 trips there, I have only barely scratched the surface of what they have there!! Same in St. Peter's. Just filled to the brim with history and detail. It's truly an incredible sight.

That chocolate shuffle was for real. I tried to convince the wait staff to make it again later in the cruise. that good. -Will (lol)

It was definitely the best dessert I had all week long on the cruise!! I heard many many people trying to convince the kitchen to make it again. :rotfl:

When planning our excursion on Sicily I was mostly focused on the winery but a few in our group had heard that Toarmina was not to be missed so we combined them and I am really glad we did - it was such a nice little (well, not *that* little) town. You definitely got a bit more of the facts about the different things as we were more exploring on our own

Your pictures are stunning!

That's really great that you were able to do both the winery and Taormina. It was so gorgeous!! And it had some nice shopping. I would have been happy with a little more free time there, but it was still a really great excursion and we really enjoyed it. We had originally booked Tindari and DH did some research comparing the two and we decided to make the switch to Taormina. I can't make a comparison, but as much as I loved Taormina, I'm glad we made the switch!

Thanks!

Glad you found time to join in!! I totally understand. I have worked feverishly to write updates in Word every time DH gives me a new batch of edited photos so that I can stay well ahead and make a quick post even when life gets busy.

It's always a fun time getting to hang out with the podcasters! They are all really kind and giving with their time.

Thank goodness for all the walking to counterbalance all the carbs and gelato!! :rotfl2: I was pretty happy that I only came home a few pounds heavier. I was fully expecting a lot more.

Hope you enjoyed the podcast!

Day 5 Continued: Monday March 26th

Continuing on our way towards the Greco Roman theater, we continued our tour of the main street in Taormina.

Alexia told us an interesting story of this stairwell. It was built narrow because if invaders came, they would have to go down the stairs single file, so a soldier could stand at the bottom with his sword and stab them all as they came down.

We made it to the end of the street, noting some of the shops we’d want to come back to during our free time, and turned at the church of St. Catherine.

We continued down the street towards the Greco Teatro.

Alexia got our tickets, and then we headed into the theater.

At this point, we were turned loose for our free time by Alexia. We stayed in the theater for awhile, checking out the views and climbing up to the top of the seats for a different perspective.

Also, take note this may be one of the only times in this TR you see me without that jacket on! Lol Just kidding, but really, this was the best weather we experienced on the whole trip. It warmed up so nicely and felt great after all of the cold days we’d had so far.

IMG_0265

We were ready to head out of the theater then so we could hit a couple of the shops we had taken note of on our first pass up the street.

Viking 06-068

Our biggest priority was to find something here for my parents. My dad’s ancestors come from Sicily, and he had been really excited to hear that was one of our stops on the cruise, so I wanted to be sure to get him something from Sicily. We ended up at this store that had lots of oils, wines, and candies.

The ladies working in the store were so happy to let us try some samples of what they sell! They had these delicious chocolate candies with limoncello liqueur in them, and they let us sample some of the olive oil that we ended up buying for my parents. We also got my parents a wine that is made and traditionally served in Sicily. It was a perfect gift! I didn’t want to get them something they maybe felt obligated to display in their house, but I wanted to get something that Sicily is known for, so the olive oil was a good choice. They can use the oil and wine and display the bottles if they would like to.

One of the places Alexia had pointed out the first time we had walked down the main street was called Bar Etna, and she said they were well known for their cannoli, so we decided to give one a try. She said even if they don’t have the one you want on display, just ask and they will usually make them fresh.

I would love to try a traditional one with ricotta, but I know DH is not a fan, so we decided to split a chocolate cream one. And just as Alexia had said, they went to the back to make us one fresh!

It was so good!! I was regretting a little that we had decided to share one. Lol

We kept walking down the street and taking in the beautiful scenery.

We found the name of this clothing store to be…interesting?

Viking 06-079

Starring out those two letters still leaves little to the imagination!

Viking 06-080
A little Mickey on our walk!
Continued in next post...

We stopped inside of the church of St. Catherine, where they still had baskets of palms from their Palm Sunday mass out, so we took a couple of those to bring home.

We made it back to the meeting spot a little early, so we debated getting some arancini at the spot Alexia had pointed out earlier but we weren’t sure we’d have enough time so we just went inside the cathedral instead, but couldn’t take photos.

Alexia let us know some people had already started walking to the parking garage, so she let us know we could walk too or wait for the rest of the group. We decided to start walking so that I could have a chance to use the restroom before we got back on the bus. We stopped inside a small chapel with a display up.

One more beautiful view of Taormina…

Viking 06-092

We were back on the bus around 12:40 for the ride back to the port. Alexia talked the entire time, but I totally fell asleep and missed most of it. I think it was taking the Dramamine every night that made me so sleepy on every bus ride. I’m okay when walking around, but put me on a moving vehicle and zzzzzzzzzzzz

But I did hear her talking about this enormous statue of Mary as we approached the port. It says “Vos et ipsam civitatem benedicimus” at the base and has a huge golden statue of Mary on the top. As the story goes, Paul was trying to convert the Sicilians to Christianity, but met a lot of resistance. He had Mary write a letter to Sicily and tied it with a lock of her hair. In the letter, she says, “Vos et ipsam civitatem benedicimus” which means “I bless you and your city.”

So once we got back to the ship, we went up to the buffet for lunch just as it started raining and waited out the weather before heading back out so DH could get some photos of the statue.

Viking 06-093

We wanted to head out and explore the port a bit more, so we took the map provided by Viking and started walking in the direction of the cathedral.

Unfortunately, as we found in most of the ports, by the time we made it back from our excursions and had something to eat, we were running into Italian siesta time, so most restaurants, stores, and churches were closed. We poked around trying to see if any of the entrances to the cathedral were open, but they weren’t. We went to a second church listed on the map, but it too was closed. We ran into another couple from the cruise that waved us over because he saw we were carrying the red Viking umbrellas provided in the room and using the same map. He said they had been inside the cathedral earlier and asked if we’d had a chance to see the bells toll because it was really cool to see. We said we hadn’t, so we decided to head back over there to wait until the next time they rang.

We caught it ringing at 3:30, and there was a little movement from some of the figures on the bell tower, but I wondered if it was maybe more impressive on the hour.

I decided at that point I was ready to head back to the ship, but DH wanted to explore some more. I didn’t feel like walking to the farther away churches and risk them still not being open by the time we made it there. DH walked me closer to the ship before heading back out.

Viking 06-106

While DH was out exploring, I hung out in the room, watched some Outlander on my Nook, and took a shower to get ready for dinner. This ended up working out so well for me I did it pretty much every night after that. By washing my hear in the late afternoon before dinner, the shower had better hot water and water pressure since we were still in port and most people were off the ship still. Plus it meant I felt better about staying out at the lounge later at night since I didn’t have to wash and straighten my hair when we got back to the room for the night.

Meanwhile, DH was checking out the port, but I'm going to save his exploring and our dinner for the next updates!

UP NEXT: More Messina

Looks like a beautiful village and you had a good time. Those Cannoli's looked yummy. I would've wanted the traditional one.

Looks like a beautiful village and you had a good time. Those Cannoli's looked yummy. I would've wanted the traditional one.

It was the picture perfect Italian town. It was one of our top excursions!

The cannoli was delicious, but trying the traditional one would have been cool too. I've never had a traditional one, and where better to try than in Sicily where it was made fresh?! But even the compromised version was really tasty.

We wound up doing a bit of shopping in Taormina as well - got these embroidered aprons for the kids with their names on it and a linen table runner for my mom. Definitely a lot of fun and somewhat unique shops on that path to the theater.

We found the theater was a nice place to just wander and take pictures and the weather was really nice so I am sure that helped.

Sorry the cathedral and other churches were closed though!

As always, gorgeous photos! Glad you could find something to bring home to your parents. That cannoli is huge!!

I love the clock on the cathedral representing the zodiac signs!

I feel like it's going to be impossible to ever collect all of the gold characters! I have all of the villains except Cruella, and I'm missing some of the rainbow characters like Sorcerer Mickey and Rose Gold Minnie. It used to be fun competition with DH but then he had to send his phone in for a long time for a replacement battery and didn't pick up playing again when he got it back, so now I have no one to talk to about it. lol

Cruella is coming back soon! You'll have to grab her then. And I missed Rose Gold Minnie too. Opened a diamond box and got a blasted Retro Minnie, such a bummer. :rotfl2:
Landon and Evie love to open boxes for me and see which characters I get. Plus, we tend to watch the films attached to the event so it's introduced them to Emperor's New Groove, Princess and the Frog, and A Bug's Life. However, I definitely play way too much to use their interest as an excuse! :rotfl:

41323277194_39f025e8b9_c.jpg

This is a great photo!
It screams "I'm in Italy!":goodvibes

It was a perfect gift! I didn’t want to get them something they maybe felt obligated to display in their house, but I wanted to get something that Sicily is known for, so the olive oil was a good choice. They can use the oil and wine and display the bottles if they would like to.

That does sound like the perfect gift to give. Useful but display-able. Plus, I'm sure both tasted great!

Starring out those two letters still leaves little to the imagination!

You never know, it could have been Funk. :rotfl2:

While DH was out exploring, I hung out in the room, watched some Outlander on my Nook, and took a shower to get ready for dinner

I love the Outlander series. Sounds like the perfect way to relax while DH went out to take photos.
And glad you figured out a way to get some hot water for your showers!

Th building that housed the bells looked really interesting with its clock with the zodiac symbols on it. I've never seen that before.
And the arch made out of palm fronds in the church was pretty, as well. Seems like you guys came across several sights that were really nice. And a fresh canoli! :thumbsup2

We wound up doing a bit of shopping in Taormina as well - got these embroidered aprons for the kids with their names on it and a linen table runner for my mom. Definitely a lot of fun and somewhat unique shops on that path to the theater.

We found the theater was a nice place to just wander and take pictures and the weather was really nice so I am sure that helped.

Sorry the cathedral and other churches were closed though!

I wish we would have had a little more time to shop there. It was a very nice little place to walk around and make some good finds! That's great you were able to get the embroidered stuff.

The weather was great that day, which definitely made the theater immensely more enjoyable!

Yeah that was a bummer, but it was still a great day.

As always, gorgeous photos! Glad you could find something to bring home to your parents. That cannoli is huge!!

I love the clock on the cathedral representing the zodiac signs!

The cannoli was enormous!! lol Although I didn't want to share, I probably would have been sick trying to eat an entire one myself.

It was pretty cool, and unexpected for a Catholic cathedral.

Cruella is coming back soon! You'll have to grab her then. And I missed Rose Gold Minnie too. Opened a diamond box and got a blasted Retro Minnie, such a bummer. :rotfl2:
Landon and Evie love to open boxes for me and see which characters I get. Plus, we tend to watch the films attached to the event so it's introduced them to Emperor's New Groove, Princess and the Frog, and A Bug's Life. However, I definitely play way too much to use their interest as an excuse! :rotfl:

I saw that she is coming back! Hopefully I can get her this time. I had the same problem with Rose Gold Minnie. I used up all my saved gems opening 3 diamond boxes and they were ALL retro Minnie. I was so mad!!

That's a great way to introduce movies! Paxton is always looking over my shoulder and asking me who different characters are, so maybe I should be doing the same thing.

This is a great photo!
It screams "I'm in Italy!":goodvibes

Thanks! I liked it too.

That does sound like the perfect gift to give. Useful but display-able. Plus, I'm sure both tasted great!

Hopefully they agreed, but I thought it was practical. In the end, we got everyone something edible this time. It was a lot easier to shop for people that way instead of stressing over whether they would like what we picked or not.

You never know, it could have been Funk. :rotfl2:

I guess that's possible buuutttt....

I love the Outlander series. Sounds like the perfect way to relax while DH went out to take photos.
And glad you figured out a way to get some hot water for your showers!

I was behind on the 3rd season so I had the whole thing on my Nook and planned to watch on our long haul plane rides, but really didn't end up doing that because I was either sleeping or watching the movies offered in flight. So I'm still way behind! Oh well. It's a great show though. I read the first book in high school and thought about it often over the years but could never remember the name of the book or author. One day a nurse at work and I were talking about books and she said, "Oh you should read this series about a nurse who falls through a time portal into ancient Scotland" and I freaked out!! I was like THAT'S THE BOOK!!! I re-read the first one and got through part of the 3rd but then never finished it. I keep meaning to go back and try the series again but I hardly ever have time to sit and read anymore. I'm keeping it on my list for when my kids aren't so needy. I'll get there eventually. lol

Th building that housed the bells looked really interesting with its clock with the zodiac symbols on it. I've never seen that before.
And the arch made out of palm fronds in the church was pretty, as well. Seems like you guys came across several sights that were really nice. And a fresh canoli! :thumbsup2

It was definitely very different and unexpected for a Catholic church!

Oh And I just noticed after I hit post you're down to 1 day on your countdown! Hope you have a blast at DLP!!!

Great photos of such a picturesque little town! You're right, it looks like it could be a movie set. Great sights and great shopping - a winner for sure! Makes me want to start looking at a similar cruise.....

Great photos of such a picturesque little town! You're right, it looks like it could be a movie set. Great sights and great shopping - a winner for sure! Makes me want to start looking at a similar cruise.....

So many places in Italy look like they could be out of a movie. This was definitely one of them!! The Piazza Navona in Rome is another one. It was a beautiful stop, and even though I've never been to the other place we almost visited at this port, I'm glad we switched to Taormina. We really enjoyed it!!

If you can do it, do it! It was an amazing experience!!

When I left off, I was hanging out in our stateroom while DH did some sightseeing on his own in Messina.

He stopped to check at the cathedral and found it was open, so he was able to go inside.

Viking 06-132

Viking 06-133

Viking 06-135

Viking 06-136

Viking 06-137

Viking 06-138

Viking 06-139

Viking 06-140

Viking 06-141

Then he headed back to the ship.

Viking 06-142

DH returned to the room and freshened up for dinner, then we went to the pool deck to watch the ship sail away and say farewell to Sicily.

Continued in next post...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter