Are there any resorts you would not go to just because of its theme?

I used to think like this. That's why for our first trip we stayed at CR for fear of not liking the themes of other resorts. Mistake! CR was ok but boring imo. Now after going and doing more research, I'd happily stay at any resort.

I'd be at WDW so I can't complain!

I'm from the Pacific Northwest and because of that, the Wilderness Lodge does not appeal to me at all. That's why I'm grateful there is so much variety with WDW accomodations!

Is Boardwalk the one with the clown pool? If so, we will never stay there. DH hates clowns :lmao:

No Contemporary for me, either. To me it feels like a regular hotel, with no specific theming. As a PP said, it feels cold and unwelcoming to me.

I'll probably never stay at the YC or GF because they don't send off a very "we love kids!" vibe to me. I feel like they're both great resorts for adults with no kids. Whenever we've gone in either resort I feel like I'm going to get chastised if my kids talk too loudly or get something dirty! :)

Although we like the value resorts, I have no desire to stay at ASMu simply because we're not big music people. We stay at Sports because we LOVE football and our kids have so much fun running around the Xs and Os!

The Polynesian doesn't appeal to me either because of the theme, which I can't really explain. I think it's because I've been to Hawaii so many times that it just seems wrong to pretend to be in the Pacific when I'm in Florida (I know that's irrational, especially given that I have no problem pretending I'm other places outside of Florida at other resorts..). Also, people refer to it as the 'poly', which sort of just reminds me of polygamy.

dispicable_me_987201a.jpg
WhhhhhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT :rotfl2:
Thats the funniest thing i have read on here in a long long time. Maybe Cody Brown and his family can run a commercial for the "poly".

BTW I love that show, while its not the typical American family it works for them :goodvibes

GF - the exterior/surroundings look beautiful it's just the inside that doesn't do it for me, it looks a little dated nowadays - a bit plain, not really the wow factor i would expect at the 'flagship resort'. :confused3

We've stayed at the GF, a couple of times, and believe me it is worthy of being the 'flagship resort'. While the theming may not appeal to everyone, the service is absolutely top notch. We just stayed in a standard type room, so we had no expectations of anything really special, but one evening we came back to our room to find a plate of 'tuxedo strawberries' sitting on our turned down bed. We had a light bulb go out and I mentioned it to housekeeping as we were leaving for the day. Not only did they change the bulb, but there was a printed notecard in an envelope apologizing for any inconvenience it may have caused. There were just so many little things that made our stay there feel like we were royalty .. I dream of being able to afford to stay there again :cloud9:

I can't think of a single Disney resort I wouldn't stay at because of the theming. They all look cool to me.

There are some resorts I would stay away from for other reasons. Mostly, I'm a deluxe snob. :goodvibes

After back-tracking through the thread a bit...

I thought that was one heck of a cognitive leap too, so I looked for the actual quote:

My father is a geometry teacher and I am a fantasy fan. My brain goes straight to Polygon, Polymorph, that "Poly High" song from the trippy animated film based off Harry Nilsson's "The Point", Polymer, and, uh, Polynesia way way before it starts thinking "Big Love" but, eh, different strokes. :confused3

Wait a minute... are you saying that the Mighty Ducks building isn't part of All-Star Sports? That makes absolutely zero sense! :confused:

Yes, the Mighty Ducks section is at All Star Movies. Mighty Ducks was a movie and since the resort is a tribute to Disney movies it actually fits pretty well. I also am betting Might Ducks was maybe a recent release at the time Disney built ASMO. A little advertising for their new flick maybe!

As for the original question, I used to say WL held no appeal because I live in Colorado and we have so many mountain lodges. But then we had a chance to stay there two years ago and I really researched it and got so excited. Unfortunatly it didn't work out, we had family going with us and they were not able to get the same deal. I was crushed and now its on my top "to try" list.

I can't see myself doing the CR for more than a couple of nights because I prefer a resort that has expansive grounds but I'd still like to stay there.

Frankly, I'd sleep in a dumpster if it was at Disney so I guess I like about anything on property!:laughing:

Yes, the Mighty Ducks section is at All Star Movies. Mighty Ducks was a movie and since the resort is a tribute to Disney movies it actually fits pretty well. I also am betting Might Ducks was maybe a recent release at the time Disney built ASMO. A little advertising for their new flick maybe!

Well, yeah I knew Mighty Ducks was a movie. I also knew that Disney, by a shocking coincidence I'm sure ( :laughing: ) bought a hockey team they renamed the Anaheim Ducks. I'd seen pictures of a hockey-themed pool and hotel with Mighty Ducks insignia as part of the All Stars and just assumed it was part of the Sports section of the campus. That it would in fact be part of All Star Movies never occurred to me. (I know the movies were popular when the hotels were being built but how much nostalgia is there for them today? I wonder if we'll be saying the same thing about the Cars Art of Animation hotel in fifteen+ years...)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh that is HYSTERICAL. I love all these names! They were really asking for it with these awkward statues on top. :laughing:

Heh, we stayed at the Dolphin this spring and nicknamed the giant statues in question Akbar and Zoidberg and Natalie and Mila. :rotfl:

Polynesian (stayed there as a kid) - too 70s and for some reason I have an extreme Brady Bunch reaction :)

I thought I was the only one who saw this! :rotfl: The furniture is so dark and heavy and looks painfully dated, IMO. Huh?

I had always said YC/BC because I've spent most of my life living near and vacationing at New England beaches...but I'm considering a stay at BC in July! I had breakfast at Cape May this past February and thought the resort was very charming and you cannot beat that location!

I have no desire to stay at WL. Seems SO out of place in Florida! Laughably so... the others make some kind of sense, at least...but a pine wood forest? Um...no.

Don't have any interest in POR, CBR, OKW, or SSR. Just don't do much for me, I guess.

We've stayed at CSR twice and we adore it there!

I won't say never but for now we stay away from value ones. Decor looks too tacky for my and DH's taste. I'm pretty sure DS 7 will enjoy no matter what but we do like bit more relaxing and serene atmosphere for our resort. We prefer AKL when we have car or GF/Poly. For moderate CBR/CSR only if we have car and POFQ/POR.

We don't like to stay CR b/c our city apartment decor is contemporary/modern so it is nothing special.

Well at 1st I would have said WL because I am from the Northwest, but then I saw picture of it at Christmas and I really hope to talk DH into staying there next year for Christmas but I have a feeling we will be at AKL
So that said - GF, it is just not my cup of tea, to princessy I guess

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter