• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are there any resorts you would not go to just because of its theme?

If I had been asked that question 5 years ago, I would have said there was no way I would stay in the budget resorts .... and I would have had to eat my words! Because of budget constraints we ended up staying in the Pop Century one year and since then planned another two trips staying at the Pop also... and we were happy to do it! :laughing::laughing:

If money were no object I would favor the Grand Floridian and Boardwalk, and even though we live in the Northwest, I also love Wilderness Lodge. I don't like Contemporary style so that would be my last choice, and although I love Hawaiian style, the Polynesian's decor is a little dark for my tastes.

I grew up in Southern California, so the whole south-of-the-border thing at Coronado Springs doesn't do much for me, either.

The other resort I'm not that interested in based on theme alone is the Wilderness Lodge. It's too close in theme to the Grand Californian at Disneyland, which I've stayed at.

I've heard lots of great things about the Wilderness Lodge, and if someone else wanted to foot the bill to stay there, I'd agree in an instant. But for Deluxe prices on my dime, I want to see what Disney does with a theme I haven't tried.

This thread was great...everyone answered the question...no one got defensive when possibly their favorite resort was named. I guess I wouldn't stay at the values...we are a couple without (we are older) children...would opt for something easier on the eye.

No desire to stay at the Duck and Fish. The values don't really excite me too much. Of the Mods, then POFQ just doesn't seem to yank my chain. And of the Deluxes, CR would be my last choice. No real interest in OKW or SSR, either.

The only resort I really don't have any desire to stay in is AS Sports. The only sport I like is baseball, I wouldn't want to be surrounded all these random sports on my whole vacation!

I'm not a big fan of the Contemporary theme either, but I'd probably stay there if I had the chance, just for the location!

Based on theme or anything else, I wouldn't want to stay at any of the value resorts. A little to "motel 6 meets Route 66" for me.:confused3

Haven't seen a Mod. resort yet that I didn't like.:thumbsup2

Of the deluxe resorts, the only themes I really don't care for are the Beach and Yacht Club, and Boardwalk. Just not my thing.

Although I would gladly stay at any of the Disney Resorts :goodvibes for the sake of this thread, I would say CBR.

I live at the beach, so CBR doesn't appeal to us. We like POR/FQ. We like all of the shade and serenity. Considering CSR for December, but a little worried about it being so spread out.

I would take any of the deluxes if I could get it for the cost of a mod.:thumbsup2

We haven't even considered any values.

I guess for me I would try anything once (and actually would like someday to try all of them once)...but there are themes that don't really appeal to me. My favorites are POR, WL, AKL, and CR/BLT...most of the others are just 'eh' to me with OKW and BWI being lowest on my list of ones I would like to stay at (though BWI's location makes me want to stay there for location...so I am torn because I really DON'T like the decor). I just like the warmer feeling that I feel like you get from POR, WL, and AKL...and something about CR/BLT just calls to me and I really don't know why...lol!

No desire to stay at the Duck and Fish.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I call them the Swank and Fish. :rotfl: One day I meant to say "Swan" and it came out as "Swank" and the name just sorta stuck. I have no desire to stay at the Swank and Fish either. Shula's and a visit? Sure! But stay there? Nope. Just not my taste.

The All-Stars also don't appeal to me much either, except for maybe the Calypso section of ASMu and the Surf's Up section of ASSp. ASMo really needs a refurb and I HATE the Mighty Ducks section. LOVE the theming of POP though! And can't wait to check out Art of Animation when it's done! :cool1:

I LOVE the themes of all the other resorts! The WL doesn't appeal too much because I live up North, and the rooms are really brown, but at Christmastime I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. :goodvibes Besides maybe the GF... :cloud9:

I live in upstate NY, so you would think that SSR wouldn't appeal, but I really love the theme! So classy and spacious. Plus, I love the closeness to DTD.

My mom doesn't really care for the Contemporary/BLT very much. She's not a fan of the whole "modern" look. I, however, LOVE it!

She also doesn't like POFQ very much, the jesters and clowns aren't really her thing. The BWI doesn't bother her one bit though, and I hope we can stay there one day! I love POFQ and it was my first Disney resort on my very first trip, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. :lovestruc And I like the Mardi Gras theme. :goodvibes

Based on theme, I would have to say POFQ is bottom of my list. I just don't care for the whole Mardi Gras mask thing and it just looks too run-down-southern-motel to me. No flames--I know many on this board hail its virtues--it's just my view. The new rooms are beautiful but the outside theming is not my taste.

If I was from the southwest or New Orleans, I would get a kick out of staying at Coronado or Port Orleans. Being from NY, there's probably so many details and things I can't appreciate at these resorts but if you're from there, you'd probably catch on. I'd like to stay at Saratoga Springs someday as I've been to Saratoga many times and would love to see Disney's take on it.

I'd probably not stay at the Grand Floridian, Contemporary or any of the values. None of those themes appeal to me.

Although my goal is to try them all, I would have to say Old Key West is the least appealing to me.....too "Miami Vice" :lmao:

Take care:goodvibes

Some I'm obsessed with, some I'm neutral about, and some I just don't like...

Pop Century does not appeal to me at all, and for me the theme is reason not to stay there.

Mighty Ducks section and the new Art of Animation make me not want to stay at All Star Movies.

The Polynesian doesn't appeal to me either because of the theme, which I can't really explain. I think it's because I've been to Hawaii so many times that it just seems wrong to pretend to be in the Pacific when I'm in Florida (I know that's irrational, especially given that I have no problem pretending I'm other places outside of Florida at other resorts..). Also, people refer to it as the 'poly', which sort of just reminds me of polygamy.

The Contemporary doesn't appeal to me because, to me, it's not a 'real' theme. Again, I know that doesn't make much sense.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest. If I were still living there, I'm not sure I would want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Now I think I'd enjoy it though :)

That being said, I'd like to try them all!

POR - I'm only 2 hours away from New Orleans, so I don't feel like I'm away on vacation!!!

Also, All Star Music and All Star Sports don't seem like my style.

I don't have a problem with any other resort theme or design.

Based on theming alone, CR, CSR & Boardwalk do nothing for me. And the values. The giant icons are not for me. My kids are in their 20's so just doesn't appeal.

I want to stay at all of them at least once. But DH hates the idea of staying at GF so I guess that will be our last resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter