Are there any FUNNY movies out there...

Skywalker

Elementary, My Dear Mickey
...that are NOT stupid, slapstick, juvenile kind of comedy?

I ask this because I have NEVER seen a "comedy" that has made me laugh. Ever. My husband thinks I am too serious. But I have never seen a comedy that didn't leave me rolling my eyes and wondering if all comedies are made for frat boys. I also don't like the "romantic-comedy" type of movie. I am always disappointed, so that is why I stick to drama/action-type movies now.

So, can anyone recommend a good comedy? I'd like to shock my husband by actually renting one!

:sunny:

Princess Bride---not really a "romance" despite the title.

When Harry Met Sally--Oops this one's a "romance" and you don't like that.

We just rented Best in Show. Funny, but not quite in league with the "rockumentary" Spinal Tap. :rotfl:

If you rule out stupid, slapstick and juvenile, what's left to be comedy?

I laughed my butt off at "40 Year Old Virgin", and most Adam Sandler movies, but I HATED "Wedding Crashers," "Meet the Parents," "Something About Mary," etc.

I was going to say "happy, texas" until I read the juvenille part.

I think you just excluded all comedy movies by what your definintion of not funny is, lol.

The Princess Bride - laugh out loud funny and gets funnier everytime I see it!

The Birdcage........has me rolling every time I see it. May be a little juvenile at times though.

ETA: What about Pulp Fiction? It is a dark comedy kind of drama, thing.

Skywalker said:
...that are NOT stupid, slapstick, juvenile kind of comedy?

I ask this because I have NEVER seen a "comedy" that has made me laugh. Ever. My husband thinks I am too serious. But I have never seen a comedy that didn't leave me rolling my eyes and wondering if all comedies are made for frat boys. I also don't like the "romantic-comedy" type of movie. I am always disappointed, so that is why I stick to drama/action-type movies now.

So, can anyone recommend a good comedy? I'd like to shock my husband by actually renting one!

:sunny:

What is your sense of humor?Dh has a slapstick/goofy type humor but mine is more wicked/sarcastic.Needless to say,we have a hard time choosing movies.

Albert Brooks, maybe? It's much more cerebral, verbal comedy. Maybe Lost In America or Defending Your Life?

Some of Steve Martin's more serious works? Roxanne is quiet but super funny. LA Story is also a different, dry type of humor.

More recent, I found The Weatherman to be funny, it kind of a dark, brooding way. It's not a laugh-a-minute, but it had some good moments, and some beautiful cinematograhpy.

I think I know what you mean-I don't like slapstick either.

I thought Meet the Parents was really funny. I also liked Best of Show.

A good black comedy is Fargo.

A funny one out now is The Devil Wears Prada.

OK, here are a few of mine: Have you seen any of these?

I love John Hughes movies! (And the 80's!)

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Unkle Buck
She's Having a Baby
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Better Off Dead
Trading Places
When Harry Met Sally
Young Frankenstein
The Jerk
Overboard
Christmas Vacation
Toy Story
Some Like It Hot

Office Space!! I also hate "frat boy" humor (potty humor). What about some Bill Murray movies, like The Spy Who Knew Too Little. I found that movie very funny, but I think I was the only one who liked it! LOL I also enjoy the comedy in The Mummy and POTC!

Have you seen these?

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Bruce Almighty
13 going on 30
the Emporer's New Groove
Princess Bride

I agree about the frat-boy comedy, its my DH favorite, but these are some of my favorites.

Heathers is a dark comedy.
Arsenic and Old Lace is another one.
Some Like It Hot
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Ever watch any Marx Brothers? Or Abbott & Costello?

I love the classics. Not too much frat boy type comedy.

Basically, to really help you find a film you might like, what does make you laugh?

hiwaygal said:
Hands down one of the funniest movies I've ever seen is "My Fellow Americans" :rotfl: :rotfl:
Yes! Love that movie!

*edit* Thought of another one - Nunsense!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114017/
It's a musical comedy, but, even my best friend who hates musicals loved it!

Wow you guys are great! That seems like a lot of excellent suggestions so far...

I really don't know what makes me laugh. I think I am more of a "witty banter" type...but not overly dry, intellectual witty banter...Woody Allen turns me off, for example.

I did like Ferris Bueller's Day Off! (I think that is the only one mentioned here that I have seen...no wait I also saw Toy Story and the Emperor's New Groove and yes I liked those too, but only with my kids).

Thanks to your suggestions, I do have at least perhaps a place to start in the video store tomorrow.

FreshTressa - that's what I was afraid of! LOL.

I should offer a prize for whoever suggests a comedy that I actually like. LOL. Hmmm...now what should it be... :worship:

Skywalker said:
I think I am more of a "witty banter" type...but not overly dry, intellectual witty banter...

Hmm...have you ever seen The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, or Woman of the Year? They're older, and they have a romantic element, but they're famed for their banter.

Happy viewing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!