Are the Christmas decorations worth it?

Nutbean

Mouseketeer
Planning a trip for 2013. Fairly flexible on when we can go. In a perfect world, all things being equal, I'd like to go the first week of December to see all the Christmas decorations and the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. I think I'd also appreciate the cooler temps (hoping it's not too cold though - kids will still want to swim).

HOWEVER, I just found some AMAZING roundtrip direct flights ($169/person taxes in) for September. Having been twice in September already though, I was looking forward to switching it up.

Other reasons to go again in September, crowds likely will be less and the chance of free dining or other discounts is likely higher. We'll be going with a friend and her kids who have never been before. She would ideally like to go in December as well but, being a single mom, she is also feeling the appeal of the cheaper pricing that September offers.

In your personal opinion, do the Christmas decorations and cooler weather of December outweigh the benefits of going in September?

While I'll agree that that's an amazing airfare, for me September is just too hot and I've found from having gone in December that I really like it when it's cool enough for sweatshirts and jeans (although December can certainly be warm enough for shorts and T-shirts). And I love the Christmas decorations, as well as the other holiday attractions. And while crowds aren't going to be as low as September, it's not going to be anywhere near as bad as say summer or the end of December.

First week of Dec is great time to go for low crowds, christmas decor, Osborne lights etc.

Yes! It is worth it to see not only the Parks decorated but the resorts too! We were able to see the Gingerbread decor at the Deluxe Resorts and it was amazing. My DH even remarked that it was worth it to ride the boat to BC and YC to see their decorations and he was disappointed that BWI had already removed their display before Jan. 1st. Oh well, we'll just have to return again! ;)

Another vote for December. The Christmas decorations are are worth it.

Plus, September is still really hot and humid.

It is worth at least once to see them. The weather can be very iffy, we have had in a week's time, nice weather and downright freezing cold and wet to the point we simply gave up and went back to the hotel we were so miserable.

Another vote for Christmas decorations - the magical place becomes even more so!

Yep, I'd say they are worth it, the Osborne Lights are truly amazing and to see the castle lights at Christmas should be on everyone's bucket list!

I've lost track of how many times we've done that first week in Dec -- absolutely our favorite time to go. The other issue with September is that you're right smack in hurricane season, so you have that to worry about.

The Christmas decorations and special events are wonderful, and totally put us in the holiday mood.

A little more money is worth the many benefits of going in Dec.

To me yes...at least ONCE!

First, no the humidity of September is a knock out factor for me...so I give my opinion wearing those lenses :)

The weather (with exceptions as always...but typically) is perfect. I wear jeans and t-shirts everyday. We bring sweatshirts or hoodies for early morning and late nights.

The pools are heated and someone is always swimming...even at night.

I am not so impressed with the decorations. They almost "blend in" and something about all that fake garland in bright sunshine and high 70s kind of detracts from the Christmas magic for me...

But at night it is a different story...between the Castle Lights, the Christmas Parade (if you fork of the $$ for the party) and OSBORNE LIGHTS it is a sight to see for sure!

As for crowds...we have gone three times during that period and have never waited for a ride more than 10 minutes. Mind you we pick our parks carefully and go at RD but we do not have to be militant about TPs like summer time, etc.

As for deals...they have had free dining and room discounts each time we went. The exception is Pop Warner week. So watch for those dates. We got around it by coming in on Thursday before POP last year (as free dining was offerend then but stopped on Friday) As long as it is offered on the day you check in you receieve it for you entire trip.

Yes!! I could spend all night watching the Osborne lights!!

not to mention all the decorations at the resorts. ( gingerbread house at the GF, carousel at BW) etc etc.

YES!!!
This past Christmas was my first trip with my family at that time. I have been to Disney about 30 times and this was the best trip we ever had. It was beautiful beyond imagination. The weather was great for us...cool mornings and evenings. The kids swam several times and we even go to the water park once. We were there 12-22 to 12-29 and the crowds barely made a difference to us. I'd go again in a heartbeat!

I personally would say yes! We started going in December in 2001 and have been hooked ever since. Disney at Christmas is very magical to me and we try to go the first week in December every year. The crowds are not bad at all and with a loose touring plan you can do everything with little to no wait.

I love the Osborne Lights, the pictures and videos don't do it justice to standing there in person. I also love the Candlelight Processional in Epcot. The castle dreamlights at MK are fabulous as well : ) I also love all the small things, the Christmas Characters at AK, the Resort Decorations, the Main Street decor and Park Christmas Trees. Epcot does some nice toparies as well.

I managed to snag some great airfare for our trip this past year in June ($200 a person round trip which is unheard of from where I live). We also ended up with a 20% resort discount. They did do free dining that week this past year too.

If you haven't been at Christmas before I would definitely say try it!

I am having similar issues! Only we are having to choose the full week before Thanksgiving or the first week in October. The super low crowd levels and Value rates for October are a huge draw for us. but November we would be there for my daughter's 10th birthday. We are so completely torn!

We are considering second week of December trip. Never been for holiday season and would love to see it all decorated!

Planning a trip for 2013. Fairly flexible on when we can go. In a perfect world, all things being equal, I'd like to go the first week of December to see all the Christmas decorations and the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. I think I'd also appreciate the cooler temps (hoping it's not too cold though - kids will still want to swim).

HOWEVER, I just found some AMAZING roundtrip direct flights ($169/person taxes in) for September. Having been twice in September already though, I was looking forward to switching it up.

Other reasons to go again in September, crowds likely will be less and the chance of free dining or other discounts is likely higher. We'll be going with a friend and her kids who have never been before. She would ideally like to go in December as well but, being a single mom, she is also feeling the appeal of the cheaper pricing that September offers.

In your personal opinion, do the Christmas decorations and cooler weather of December outweigh the benefits of going in September?

Wouldn't you be able to find similar flights deals for the beginning of December? I would think that is still the offseason and you could get some decent fares.

If I had a choice, I would go in December. The crowds at the beginning of December are still low and you get all of the added plusses of the holidays. Just be prepared to pack last minute as you will need to check the weather to see if it will be warm or colder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter