Are Slinky Dog Dash and 7 Dwarves Kid Coasters like Barnstormer??

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by Princess Katelet, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Princess Katelet

Princess Katelet Earning My Ears

I haven't been to WDW since 2010 so there are many things I haven't done like Slinky, 7 Dwarves, and Flights of Passage. I've looked at videos though and it looks like SDD and 7 Dwarves are kid coasters and maybe not worth the attempt to get on them. I realize the themes and all are likely wonderful, but I'm all about the thrill rides...

2. tsme

tsme DIS Veteran

I haven’t ridden SDD yet, but 7DMT is a bit more than barnstormer and after looking at videos it seems SDD is too. But I don’t think either of them would be considered a thrill ride like say RR.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Jadyreen1282

Jadyreen1282 DIS Veteran

Dont know if I'd call 7dmt a kids coaster.

HopperFan and Mome Rath like this.
  5. Mome Rath

Mome Rath 3 Decade Disney Traveller

SDMT I may call a family coaster, and SDD I'd call a true mini-coaster. SDD is a true coaster, and I put the "intensity" of SDD between SDMT and BTMR. Barnstormer is a kiddie coaster. I love coasters of all types and SDD is flat out fun.

scrappinginontario likes this.
  6. DVC Jen

DVC Jen Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks.

I would say 7DMT is more like Big Thunder. Haven't been on slinky yet

7. 0FF TO NEVERLAND

0FF TO NEVERLAND Mouseketeer

Slinky is more intense then 7DMT. Both are very fun though. More drop feelings on slinky

I wouldn’t even compare them to barnstormer.

Magical2017 likes this.
  8. alldiz

alldiz DIS Veteran

Barnstormer is like 30 seconds, no comparison. Although it is a “rough ride” 30 sec imo.
    Kerri

Mrs. Bradbury, Haley R and Woody412 like this.
  9. StacyStrong

StacyStrong Mouseketeer

Honestly, if you think that two of the most popular rides at Disney aren't "worth" the attempt because you're into thrill rides, then WDW might not be the place for you. Even their most thrilling coaster is relatively tame as far as coasters go.

10. Woody412

Woody412 Mouseketeer

Even though both are kid-friendly I don’t think there’s any comparison between 7DMT and Barnstormer. The latter is a “blink and you miss it” kind of ride. The former is more of an “attraction” in the Disney sense.

11. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

Disney is not the place to go if you are all about thrill rides. Even their biggest thrills would be low marks on a coaster thrill level. You have Space Mountain, RnR and Everest .......... with I think Everest is the best.

FoP is not really a thrill ride, it's an immersive experience that can leave you wowed.

If you are a coaster person then you won't want to miss either 7DMT or SDD, both are well done and good rides ... one more imagineered, one more coaster like. But if you are a straight up thrill & scare me person .... then maybe Busch Gardens would be a better spot to go to.

NOTE: We are coaster people so come from a coaster/thrill pov.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  12. disneygirlsng

disneygirlsng Mouseketeer

You don't go to Disney for the thrill rides. If you do, you will be sorely disappointed. The bigger, faster, taller the coaster the better for me, but I don't go into Disney expecting those kinds of rides. The rides are more about the overall experience. If you are considering skipping 2 of the most popular rides because they may not be thrilling enough, Disney may not be the place for you.

13. Princess Katelet

I'm being misunderstood here. I've been to Disney World umpteen times but not since 2010, and since 2010 I've been to Disneyland five times. I am TOTALLY a Disney person and Disney is TOTALLY for me!! My reason for posting was I am considering going back to World but I know they have the (to me) horrible FP+ system now and I know it's hard to get FPs for the rides I mentioned so I wanted to know if they were kid like in their 'thrill' cause if they aren't I'd rather ride my favorites and skip these new ones. If they hadn't ruined their FP system and still had legacy FP I would do them for sure. But I'm not sure I would want to waste my precious few FPs on them.

14. Haley R

Haley R With all the strength of a raging fire

I know what you're saying because I'm a complete thrill seeker when it comes to roller coasters, but I still love Disney! Personally, DH and I only ride 7DMT once a trip and it's just to say we did it. We usually go to it at RD before everyone else gets there. Otherwise, it's definitely worth a FP because then you don't have to wait in line for a ride that might disappoint you. SDD on the other hand, we just rode that for the first time and I thought that was really fun! I wouldn't say either ride is intense and they are both very smooth. I can't stand Barnstormer because it is so rough. We normally do this for our FPs:
    MK-Space, Splash, BTMRR (hit 7DMT in the morning)
    HS-Slinky, RnRC, ToT

15. disneygirlsng

disneygirlsng Mouseketeer

I definitely think both are worth a FP.
    FWIW, I mentioned this in another thread recently. Once you get used to the new FP system (from your post it sounds like you haven't even used it before), it is faaaaar and away superior to legacy FP, no comparison imo. More FPs with much less effort.

16. Rxdr2013

Rxdr2013 Earning My Ears

My 4 year old loves barnstormer, mine train and big thunder, I'm sure he will love slinky too cant wait two and half more weeks! I feel like barnstormer is a lot rougher than 7 dwarfs. The first few times I felt like we really needed to hold onto my son and not so much on mine train i guess because its completely enclosed and he fits better. The bar doesn't come down too far on barnstormer when we are riding with him. If you can't get a 7 dwarfs fp then always try to rope drop or get in line during parades or fireworks lines are shorter then a tad. As the adult I love all the coasters i guess that's were my son gets it from! FOP made me a little nauseous it was fun though much more immersed than soarin. I had to rope drop FOP too.

17. StacyStrong

StacyStrong Mouseketeer

That clarifies things :)

But, since you go to DL, I still would NOT skip these attractions purposefully. They are unique to WDW and should be a lot of fun.

I say should because I haven't had the opportunity to ride any yet :(
    FOP and SDD weren't open on my last trip.

18. HopperFan

AGREE^

It works to insure you know your three rides coming in, it works well on the app or kiosks and allows one to get FP+ much easier than the old system. We actually can do more rides with the new system, better using our time in between and feels less stressed than running from ride to ride collecting passes.

Haley R and KidaniZen like this.
  19. Haley R

Haley R With all the strength of a raging fire

I think it's really helpful at MK to get on a lot of the Fantasyland rides with little to no wait.

HopperFan likes this.
  20. Princess Katelet

Okay, I can't imagine how this is true. Granted, I've not used PP+ so maybe I have it wrong. But what I THINK it is is having to choose a measly THREE fastpasses two months in advance, from TIERS where you cannot choose BOTH RR and TOT or BOTH Soarin' and TT and probably others I am not thinking of, too. And that AFTER you use your the third FP you can then select a fourth, but there are usually no good FPs to choose from because they were chosen and booked two months ago!!

Disneyland's legacy FP is so much nicer because you can get your FPs as you go along, and you can get as many as you want with no tier restrictions either. With the addition of MaxPass you can book your FPs from your phone/app and not have to run around to the ride kiosks first anymore. So if you're willing to pay $10 per person per day for MaxPass you are getting the convenience of booking FP from your phone all day long and the passes you want are there because they weren't snagged two months ago. If you chose not to pay for MaxPass then you still get the awesome legacy pass where yes, you have to run around to the ride kiosks to obtain the FPs, BUT you can have as many as you want allll day long and again they are available because they weren't snapped up two months ago!!

Unless I am seriously misunderstanding FP+ I don't see how on earth it could be better than legacy FP with zero tiers and zero limits. Also with MaxPass you can get your next FP only ninety minutes after you got your last one, not two hours (of course if your ride return time is earlier than that you can get your next FP as soon as your window opens up).

21. HopperFan

Your opinion, our opinion. You haven't used it, we have.

Don't know about @disneygirlsng but I used Legacy FP and I hated the running around to different places to pull tickets and if you were competing with the superusers and cheaters you'd pull a time for hours later. So much energy was used.

I was there two weeks ago and booked Slinky Dog while I was in the park, and it is new. We rode 3 times that day and I never got in the SB line. And I was able to book a FP+ for Aliens while in the park, no SB line there. And you can choose both RnR and ToT at the same time. Tier 1 is the TSL rides, I had TSMM.

Spring Break, very busy season, I walked in the parks with NO FP+ booked in advance. Three of us. We didn't do AK. We did everything at Epcot and DHS, and everything at MK over two days. No issues booking FP+ all day long and even repeated good rides.

I have no desire to pay for something I can get now for free and hope the pay system never comes to WDW. Honestly if you hate the setup at WDW so much, why would you travel there? Or if you do, just don't book 7DMT and SDD and focus on the rides you want.