Are mosquitos something I need to prepare for in Orlando?

Spike101

Affable gay geek
I ask this as someone mentioned it in a vlog I watched today, and it has to be said, mosquitos love me, and in all the comprehensive research I've done for my forthcoming trip they've not really been mentioned at all.

I know I can depend on everyone on here for some good advice!

Spike.

The theme parks do an amazing job keeping them at bay in my opinion.
I have never been bitten at Universal or Disney.
If you were planning to do other things in the area that involve nature then yeah bring some bug spray.
Otherwise I don't think its necessary.

If they like to bite you, and they do bite certain people more, just remember you will be in the center of Fla, ie swamp country.

I would come prepared.

I thought I had a few bug bites at Universal, but when I got home it turned out to be poison ivy I had been in contact with before I left home. It has not been a problem for us in Orlando.

All of our Orlando trips have been in December and I've never seen a mosquito at Disney or Universal. I'm not sure is it's because of the time of year or it's like that year round.

It’s not something to worry about Spike.........

We go all over and never been bitten, even in the height of summer..........and in the highlands of Scotland the dreaded midges love me!!!

I would recommend using bullfrog sunscreen - that way you get the sun screen and the bug protection just in case

We live behind Universal and very very rarely see any mosquitoes (Even around dusktime). They do an ultra good job at mosquito control around the parks. The only exception has been when there has been a huge rainfall event (well beyond normal thunderstorms), and even then usually its short lived and minor.

and in the highlands of Scotland the dreaded midges love me!!!

I wouldnt think there would be mosquitos in Scotland being so far north. Mosquitos love me and youngest, having the burn but never tans skin. Hubby and oldest have wonderful olive skin and hardly ever get bit. None of us have ever been bit on Florida vacations tho.

I wouldnt think there would be mosquitos in Scotland being so far north. Mosquitos love me and youngest, having the burn but never tans skin. Hubby and oldest have wonderful olive skin and hardly ever get bit. None of us have ever been bit on Florida vacations tho.

Oh they’re not mosquitos........they’re just annoying tiny little flying insects......but they do bite, draw blood and are drawn to certain types of folks........they always bite me but strangely my sister never gets touched..........

You can be bitten alive with them. We have a holiday home up there and whenever I go up it’s with full insect repellent.......I don’t go up very often lol........

But where we grew up in Scotland they were always around in the summer. Horrible.

Anyone there now who can report on the need (or not) for bug spray this week? Thanks!

We were at RPR last Thursday and Friday and got a LOT of no see’um bites on the trail from the resort to the parks, unfortunately.

There are mosquitoes in Alaska. I mean a lot. We went out to watch the animals eating blueberries and they all seemed to have a grey outline around them. When I looked thru the binoculars I could see it was swarms of mosquitoes.

I didn't want to go in the blueberry patches anymore.

Never had an issue with mossies in Orlando. Now midges in Scotland in summer, that's something else.......

Mosquitos love me too. But I’ve never been bitten at Universal or Disney, and I’ve never had to use bug spray. If you plan to do anything outside the theme parks I’d maybe bring bug spray, but in the parks I’ve never had to worry about it.
I live in GA, mosquitoes love me in general. (I think I read Type 0 blood get bitten more!) Anyhow, I have been to Disney/Universal in February, April, June/July 6 times. I can't recall ever being bitten, and I am a little wary of insect repellent, so I haven't worn it in the parks.

I ask this as someone mentioned it in a vlog I watched today, and it has to be said, mosquitos love me, and in all the comprehensive research I've done for my forthcoming trip they've not really been mentioned at all.

Spike.

I'm Blood type O and drink tons of milk, so I'm a mosquito magnet. Can't remember a single bite in 20 years at Universal.

Spike.
We moved to Florida in May of this year. It’s not the mosquitoes that get me, it’s the no-see-ums! I have literally been chewed alive at times and I always react very quickly to bites and stings! The itch from their bites can last up to two weeks! It is awful! So, you might want to rub something onto exposed skin, just to be safe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!