Are Leapsters as amazing as my aunt says...?

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
She came for a visit and her 3 and 8 year olds have leapsters... I took a look at it, but it kind of looked big and cumbersome and I especially am worried about the little stylus (pen thingy) breaking off or poking the screen. She says it's great though.

My song LOVES his sisters old, old style gameboy and I would like to replace it with something more updated and better on his eyes, etc. He is going to be 5 soon (OMG I can't believe that!!).... sorry, anyway. He isn't allowed to play it very often, maybe 10-15 minutes a day, and usually only in the car, but I would still like to replace it this year. Last year I almost got the Gameboy advance, but I was baffled with all the different handheld systems and ending up with nothing!

So... is the leapster TOO educational or can it be fun too? How expensive is it and the cartridges... are they ever on ebay? Is it something to last for years?

Thanks!!

My son got the leapster about two years ago. He and his sister ( age 3 1/2) both play with it. They think its fun! But, there is also the v-smile pocket that looks cool and its educational as well. You may want to check out both. Btw, my ds has thrown that leapster around and its gotten scratches and still works and the pen thingie is still attached!

The leapster is sturdy!

My son is almost 5 and he really likes his. The problem I'm having now though, is finding the right game level. The ones for his age he finds too easy, but we accidentally got the incredibles one for 2nd-3rd grade and it's mostly too hard. It's probably a game by game thing and the Amazon.com reviews are helpful.

I don't think it's good for standing on lines, if that's something you're considering. It's too big, IMO.

The charger kit is excellent - you change the bottom of the leapster and put in special batteries. Then you can charge it on a charging base or use the AC cord to run it. It doesn't charge off the cord, though. But the regular leapster doesn't come with a cord, so you have to change the batteries very often. 2 sets of rechargables works, but is not as convenient!

OH no... now I see something called the Leapster MAX... that can play normally or attach to your TV. See what I mean: too many options! I think that my DS would LOVE that, but it's more expensive (of course). Anyone have THIS leapster? Looks like it might be a good deal if you want to avoid buying a gamecube or the like.

If you decide on a game boy advance try your local resell it game store. DD 5 wanted one like her brother 12 and cousin 10 this summer. I really didn't want to invest in one for her but the boys suggested Slackers and it worked out great! We got hers (just like theirs) for $20 and 4 games for another $20. Well worth it for her to be able to "be one of the big kids" ! :)

Upgrading your gameboy would be the cheapest way to do it. I am trying to decide the same thing right now. :) Let me know what you decide. I am leaning towards the gameboy (for the cost factor and seeing that he is only 5 yrs old), he has lots of other educational stuff.

All DD5 wanted for Christmas was a Leapster.. Well Santa got it for her and she hasn't put it down. The games are expensive $20 to $25 a cartridge, but their worth it. This summer we took a family trip to NYC and she insisted she wanted a Gameboy like Big Sis so we gave in, thinking trip would be a lot quieter, no fighting....Well after the investment of $100+ the game boy is played w/ about 2hrs a month while the Leapster is played 24/7 W/ I don't mind because it is very educational.. The only thing I do recommend is getting the charger. DD5 will be getting one for Christmas. We also have the VSmile w/is also very educational and she enjoys playing . We saw the hand held version of the VSMILE and I thought it is great because we have all the games for it. One great thing about the VSMILE it has Disney Games.

SO MANY GAMES..SO LITTLE MONE!!!!!

Santa gave my then 4 yr old one for Christmas last year. We fly out of Phila in Jan on vacation. We sat on the tarmack waiting to de-ice for 3 hours before even taking off, than a 2.5 hour flight. The people behind us said they did not even know he was there he was so good. I told them "Thank God for Leapster". MY son is EXTREMELY active and that saved my butt on many occasions. Good Luck

I'm also wondering about the Fisher Price Power Touch learning system. I just bought on for my 4 yr. old for Christmas on sale at ToysRus for half price, plus some books. Anybody used these? How are they?

My DD (age 3 at the time) wanted a Game Boy. I was against it since I wanted something that would be more educational. I then came across the Leapster and Santa gave it to her for Christmas.

She takes it everywhere !!! She is now 5 and has learned so much. It was the best purchase EVER made. We just ask for cartridges for Christmas or gift cards for birthday to purchase them.

When she was 3, her nursery school teacher was so impressed that she knew her alphabet sounds (with a nursery rhyme). I can't believe how much she has learned by the Leapster and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it for others.

We also have the protective case for traveling, the charger, and put a screen protector on the screen to prevent scratches with the pen. After 2 years, it still looks brand new.

Leapster is the way to go. we bought dd one for her 5th bday and ds who is 3 started taking hers so we bought him one too. They both love the games and it keeps them busy in the car or at a doctors appt. they are so content. I found a great seller on ebay that was selling new games for less than $10 with shipping and I bought quite a few. I swear all my friends with kids have one too and they rave about them also. I did buy the vsmile for them for the TV but it doesnt get played with half as much as the leapsters. They are very sturdy esp with my son.. I swear I owe Leapfrog so much- My kids love all of their DVDs. the fridge magnet and word whammers also

Soooooooooooo, give it up... The sellers website... We all could use more games at a cheaper price.. Thanks

Gillian said:
The leapster is sturdy!

My son is almost 5 and he really likes his. The problem I'm having now though, is finding the right game level. The ones for his age he finds too easy, but we accidentally got the incredibles one for 2nd-3rd grade and it's mostly too hard. It's probably a game by game thing and the Amazon.com reviews are helpful.

I don't think it's good for standing on lines, if that's something you're considering. It's too big, IMO.

The charger kit is excellent - you change the bottom of the leapster and put in special batteries. Then you can charge it on a charging base or use the AC cord to run it. It doesn't charge off the cord, though. But the regular leapster doesn't come with a cord, so you have to change the batteries very often. 2 sets of rechargables works, but is not as convenient!

Ahh - we have that Incredibles game too (DS is 5). I hate when I hear him put it in because I know it's gonna be whining and why can't I work this.

WE LOVE leapster, but be careful when you buy games. They are very accurate when describing the age/grade recommendation.

Personally, I wouldn't buy my DS a Gameboy. He has a computer and it's hard enough to get him off that. I think Gameboy will come when he's a bit older, but that is just my opinion, and I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with anyone whose kid has one!!!!!

Love Leapster, bought it for DD 5th bday (1-1/2 yrs. ago). She loves the games, the stylus seems to be very sturdy--even though some kids have picked it up by the cord. It's been to Disney with us a couple of times. And the games are very playable, even some of her older friends have liked playing with it.

However having said all that, it has broken twice. Once we had sound, but no matter what we did, there was no image on the screen. My husband got on the phone with Leapfrog and they told us to send it back and they would replace or refurbish it. We sent it back and when it returned, it looked brand new, but I think it was refurbished. We were all happy, bought new games for her BDay this year (January), and it broke again. This time something seems to be wrong when you reattach the back after replacing batteries and we can't seem to get it to make contact and turn on. We are loath to open up the electronics compartment and void any type of warranty we may have. We were going to send it back again, but mom got sick and we never got around to it. My husband bought a Game Boy Advance for DD and she seems to really like it, but she still asks about her Leapfrog. Specifically, she misses the games. The Leapfrog is chunky, but that makes it easier for little hands to hold. DD has always had very good motor skills, so this wasn't an issue for her, but for kids who can't use things with tiny buttons, it's great.

I would recommend it--I think we may have just gotten a lemon.

Well - I found an new in box Leapster for $51 including shipping which was cheaper than on Amazon (toysrus) which were on sale for $59...regular $79. I got a Nemo game for $21 total, and am now trying to decide if I want to "buy it now" Spongebob and Dora for $35 or just get the Mr. Penci Write & Draw and wait to see if the others are cheaper around christmas time. Hope it is as great as everyone says....

Thanks for the advice.

We have the sample that came with it, Spongebob, Dora, Mr. Pencil, Nemo, Disney Princess, Reading with Phonics, Talking Words Factory, and Letter Factory.

DD loves Mr. Pencil. She can learn to write all her uppercase and lower case letters, free hand draw and use the coloring pages. Great for when you get tired of the games.

Another 2 thumbs way upfor the Leapster! DS5 received one for Christmas and he and his brother played with it ever since! I actually lucked out and found a second one at the flea market a few weeks ago for $20 (including 4 games and case :cool1: ) I would definately buy the rechargable battery set! It will save you alot in the long run!!!

The games we have are:

Dora
Spongebob
Kindergarten
Finding Nemo
Mr. Pencil
1st Grade
Math Baseball
Spiderman

Dora and Spongebob are their absolute favorites!!!

For those of you that have recommended the Leapster system, what ages do you think they are good for. I'm looking for a birthday gift for a very bright, but super impatient 3 year old. Thanks!

I purchased DD's when she was 3.

Correction to a previous post, I got it for her Easter Basket, not Christmas. I wanted to get nice things for her basket that year instead of a bunch of candy and useless toys.

We have one too. DS got it for his 5th bday, but DD9 and DS3 also play it. We only have the starter game--which DS3 and DD9 like a lot and the Spiderman game which DS5 loves. He has learned about silent e from it for one thing. It is geared at 1st grade and he is just starting kindergarten so a lot of it is over his skill level, but it's Spiderman so he doesn't care! I also just bought an Incredibles game off ebay. I got it for about $3 but shipping was $9 and the box is ripped. The seller seems to have a lot of Leapster stuff for sale but has some definitely nuetral and a few negs(but their rating is like 3000 something so there are bound to be some negs I suppose.)Shipping is slow too for $9, but hey it's half the price I would pay in the store.

thinking about getting DS3 one for his bday so we can take it on the drive to WDW in Feb, but also thinking I may just make them take turns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter