Are America's children hungry or obese?

Yeah, it should if it's used the way I used it. Same as 'The President boarded the plane,' takes the capital P even though it's not in the 'title name' format.

Sorry that is not the same at all. The President actually refers to the actual president; the City does not.

If my child was that hungry after eating, and the quality of the items was that bad, and on top of that I didn't want to pay for another, then, I'd be packing and sending a lunch.

Which is why he packs his lunch 99.9% of the time. But, I have a friend who has 2 kids on free lunch and they complain about the portion sizes too.

She may be referring to Title I funds. I know if a certain percentage of students in a school are eligible for free lunch, our school can get Title I funds. Students have to be signed up in order for the school to get the funds.

That makes sense - it isn't that the meals themselves are profitable, but the percentage of kids in the school getting them is used as a factor in deciding other funding.

BTW - I'm fairly certain that tvguy is a guy.

I have a friend who has 2 kids on free lunch and they complain about the portion sizes too.

My question to your friend would be.. are they taking..and eating..everything they are allowed too? I cannot speak for any other school but mine. If the child..any child free lunch or paid lunch.. took EVERYTHING they are allowed to take from my lunches.. they would more then likely get enough to eat for lunch. BUT.....most kids don't.

Sorry that is not the same at all. The President actually refers to the actuall president; the City does not.

Only when one uses it to, in both instances. That's why I capitalized it. Who knew there were this many places basic grammar wasn't taught?

She may be referring to Title I funds. I know if a certain percentage of students in a school are eligible for free lunch, our school can get Title I funds. Students have to be signed up in order for the school to get the funds.

We have several kids who were getting free lunch who are now bringing home lunches. I let the parents know their child was eating very little. They aren't bringing in junk. It's usually a sandwich, yogurt, fruit and a juice.

The junk they sell at our school for breakfast is ridiculous--breakfast pizza, pancakes with syrup, donuts, etc. Maybe they need to stick to cereal and milk or oatmeal and fruit.
I would welcome that change with open arms but would are kids/students
One monster did not kill that kid. That child had an underlying heart condition, and a hot chocolate could have done the same thing.

My DD16 has a monster most mornings as her morning drink, and I have no issues with it.

Yes thank you for the update

Another thing to consider with the school lunches is the time the kids get to eat- it's easy to say they need to eat everything on their tray plus choices from a salad/garden bar, but with a 20 min lunch time, 10min being spent in line,they just dont have time to eat everything and enjoy it - especially the little ones (K-2, are THE SLOWEST eaters ever!) ANd the "new " choices are gross- creamed spinach in elementary school really, just mix fresh spinach in the salad. And the cutsey names are weird- rainbow chilli - what the heck is that?

Kids here are probably malnourished and obese at the same time, too much junk, sugar, and not enough action!

At the school where I teach, there is a sign at the beginning of the lunch line that they must have certain items on their plate. No leaving it off if you aren't going to eat it.

Because it is now the law that we, as lunch ladies are required to put the serving of fruits or veggies on their tray....we are not allowed to ask them if they want it.

Former lunch lady here and what Kacaju said is correct. There are government guidelines that have to be followed. Whether the kids eat it or not there are specific components that must be on a school lunch or they can risk losing their funding.

Our kids are allowed to purchase lunches al a carte so if they don't want whatever veg is being served they do not have to take it on their plate. The overall cost of their lunch is more since they are buying al a carte instead of the whole lunch.
I guess those on free/reduced lunch are not allowed to do that, they would have to take all the components of the school lunch.
It really is such a blatant waste of food, and an exercise in idiocy. I mean really not taking an apple cost $1 more than taking it and throwing it out :confused3

(that was a comment about the laws being followed, not those following them :))

Apprently New York City was one of them.

Don't kid yourself. I doubt she grew up there. She's a college student whose knowledge comes from reading too much Eloise when she was little and watching too much Sex in the City when she was big.

I'm going to The City tomorrow. It's not New York City, but it is "The City" to me.

I like this. Later I'm going to a different City. In the Car.

How? Not doubting you, just not sure how that works (programs here seem quite a bit different than yours).

The value of the USDA surplus food earmarked for the breakfast and lunch programs, and the federal cash subsidy paid , is more than it costs to produce the lunches.

Ever since these new changes kicked in, my 10 year old almost never gets school lunch anymore. He used to get it 3 or 4 days a week. They got rid of, or changed, all his favorites. He used to love the pasta. They used to serve Big Boys sauce over rotini with a garlic roll and a salad. There is nothing wrong with that. He looked forward to it every week. Now it's vegetarian marinara sauce over whole wheat pasta, and of course, a whole grain roll. He hated it and came home starving. I make his lunch pretty much every day now. He's much happier. I feel bad for the kids who have no choice other than what the school is offering.

My teens have reported the same thing. They used to love what the school offered most days but now they say none of it is good. However they have the option of the "Snack Shack" run by students. It gets more business than the regular lunch line. He has practice right after school and needs way more food than the school offers/allows. My son told me just this evening he thinks he is going to just eat a hot pretzel for lunch tomorrow since it is more filling than the regular lunch. Great. I'm going to start packing his lunch, too. They also force the kids to take a fruit and a vegetable whether they want it or not. They have a garbage can right outside the lunch line where the kids toss them before they even get to their tables. It's a complete waste. And of course you pay more and get less! But what do you expect when the federal government is running things? It's ridiculous.

Yeah, it should if it's used the way I used it. Same as 'The President boarded the plane,' takes the capital P even though it's not in the 'title name' format.

You would only capitalize president if it is used before the persons name. It is not capitalized when it refers to a president but does not proceed the name. You would also capitalize president if it replaced a person's name. In your example, it does not. You would not say "The Barack Obama..."

Examples
The president boarded the plane.
President Barack Obama boarded the plane.
Barack Obama is president of the United States

You know what really makes me mad about all of this, too? This same year that they make all these lunch changes for the sake of our poor, fat children's health they CUT GYM in our district. Last year they took away recess and this year they cut gym for the upper elementary kids, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. Young kids need to move those little bodies and expel some of that energy!

If the kids are lucky and get a good teacher they may take them out for 20 minutes each day. But when you have a lazy teacher, like my son did last year, it never happens. They went outside maybe 5 times all year. I tried to complain but the school sticks to the "it's the teacher's discretion" line and won't budge. This year is better. His teacher is pretty great. But still... do you really think all this is for the good of our kids? I don't see how. What's the point of so called healthy food if the kids don't eat it? And why bother if they can't work it off a little? You need good diet AND exercise to be healthy. It drives me nuts.

Ever since these new changes kicked in, my 10 year old almost never gets school lunch anymore. He used to get it 3 or 4 days a week. They got rid of, or changed, all his favorites. He used to love the pasta. They used to serve Big Boys sauce over rotini with a garlic roll and a salad. There is nothing wrong with that. He looked forward to it every week. Now it's vegetarian marinara sauce over whole wheat pasta, and of course, a whole grain roll. He hated it and came home starving. I make his lunch pretty much every day now. He's much happier. I feel bad for the kids who have no choice other than what the school is offering.

What is Big Boys sauce? I'd be happy the kids are getting a more nutritious but apparently very similar option - pasta with sauce now pasta with sauce, no? Just now whole wheat pasta and a whole grain roll. I do think there's something wrong with serving 'white' pasta and a 'white' roll for lunch - though as I don't know what Big Boy sauce is I dunno if there were vegetables involved.

You would only capitalize president if it is used before the persons name. It is not capitalized when it refers to a president but does not proceed the name. You would also capitalize president if it replaced a person's name. In your example, it does not. You would not say "The Barack Obama..."

Examples
The president boarded the plane.
President Barack Obama boarded the plane.
Barack Obama is president of the United States

It can be capitalized when it is used in place of the name, not when in reference.

Same as, 'hey, Coach!'

Regardless of what Jane and her little blue book think. This is a guide differential.

The Times (also capitalized) has it plenty - "The remarks by the President..."

I'm done with this ridiculousness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter