Arabian Adventures

Another great day Corinna you certainly fitted a lot in.

How lovely to end up with a delicious indian meal.

Tammy

just caught up:thumbsup2 i love the shots of the skyline from the beach. those rapids at the waterpark sound quite dangerous glad they took good care of you tho after the event. Dubai sounds really interesting with a wide range of things to do, i also love a bit of haggling shame about the counterfeit dealers tho.

would love to see a picci of the dress your bought.:goodvibes

Day 8

With all the planned sightseeing out of the way, we decided to have a somewhat leisurely day. We had a lie in and then headed downstairs for a leisurely breakfast. I had my usual assortment of hot dishes and hummous with bread. I also noticed that they offered watermelon juice so I made good use of this. Graham had toast with marmalade, but he also had a cooked breakfast that day.

After breakfast we had a bit of down time. I made good use of our nice bath tub and had a nice long soak. Once we had digested all the lovely breakfast, we headed down to the pool. We spent some time alternating swimming and chilling out on the loungers and enjoy being pampered. It was actually quite windy that day and once the sun had gone in, we were quite chilly. So we decided to spend a bit of time in the relaxation rooms.

This time round I was wearing one of my full-length swimsuits and I was still too cold to enjoy the heated tile lounger for any length of time. I spent a bit of time in the sauna, which was pleasant and then decided to head back out to the pool deck to see if Graham had had enough of the spa as well. I could not see him anywhere so I decided to head back towards the spa reception. I was just about to go back inside, when one of the pool attendant called out to me. Graham had left his swim gloves behind and he gave them to me. When I got back to the spa reception, they asked me if I wanted somebody to take a message to Graham. I told them that this was not necessary, but asked them to tell him that I had gone up to the room when he comes past.

I headed upstairs and had time for a nice warm shower before Graham came upstairs. He was slightly bemused. He said that he had realised that he had left behind his swimming gloves and had gone to retrieve them only to be told that “Madam has them”. He then went past the spa reception only to be told that “Madam had gone up to the room”. We often joke when we are on cruises that you cannot take a step without somebody noticing, but this was taking service to a new extreme.

We had decided to head over to the beach of the sister hotel to try out our snorkelling gear there. However, as it was the middle of the day and the beach at the Royal Meridien would get all the sun at that stage, we decided to wait a bit longer. We spend an hour reading and checking our emails before going downstairs to catch the shuttle bus over to the Royal Meridien. The shuttle bus dropped us off outside their spa. We had to sign in at the spa reception and we were equipped with towels there. There were also changing rooms that we could use.

Once we were changed, we headed straight to the beach. The sea was quite rough that day and we soon found out that waves and snorkelling do not go together. We put our snorkelling gear with our towels. Graham decided to go for a swim in the sea, but the conditions were a bit to rough for my liking. So I decided to head for one of the pools instead and asked Graham to come and find me when he had enough of the sea.

DSCF1222.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

The pool was huge. It has a separate zero-entry paddling area for children and it also has a swim up bar. This amused me. There were dire warnings everywhere about not being allowed to swim if you had alcohol, which is fair enough. However, the swim up bar was doing a roaring trade in all kinds of alcoholic drinks. Some of the people at the bar most certainly had more than their fair share of alcohol. Up to this point I always liked the concept of a swim up bar, but this showed me that this is not just silly, but downright dangerous. I kept well clear of this area and swam on the opposite side of the pool. I was quite happy there. A little while later Graham came to get me. We went back to the beach area to get our stuff and then went to get changed.

When we had been over to the Royal Meridien earlier on during the holiday, I had spotted that they have a restaurant reservation desk there. As none of the restaurants in our hotel really appealed, we decided to check out the options at the Royal Meridien. There they had a huge selection of restaurants. We had narrowed it down to the Mexican restaurant, the Asian restaurant and the new Gary Rhodes steakhouse. In the end the decision was to some extend made for us due to the availability of reservations. So we ended up with a reservation for the Mexican restaurant for that night and a reservation for Rhodes Twenty 10 for the following night.

The Mexican restaurant is not in the main hotel building itself, but in its own building near the beach. We decided to check this out first before getting the shuttle bus back to our hotel. Fortunately we did not have to wait long for the shuttle. Once we got back to our room, we hung up our swimming stuff, got showered and changed. I had brought a couple of cocktail dresses and I was looking forward to get dressed up. Once we were ready, we went back downstairs to get the shuttle back over to the Royal Meridien.

Even though we had only about an hour from when we had left the Royal Meridien, we managed to get back with some time to spare. We slowly ambled down to the restaurant and we were seated as soon as we got there. We were quite surprised to find the restaurant virtually empty considering that we were told that there was no availability before 20:30. As soon as we were seated, we were introduced to our server. We were asked if we wanted some wine or champagne and declined. We ordered some fresh juices instead. I went with Mang juice and Graham had some pineaple juice. We were quite surprised when the restaurant manager approached or table shortly afterwards with a bottle of wine. He had got the tables mixed up.

Shortly afterwards, our server approached us with a big plate full of tortilla chips and two different types of salsa. They were meant for us and were very yummy. In the meantime, we had made up our mind what we wanted to eat. We decided to share some steak nachos for our starter. For his main course, Graham decided on Filet Mignon Mexicano, which was an Adobo marinated US Black Angus fillet with cherry tomatoes, potato gratin, crispy leeks, chille de arbol salsa, Mexican rice and black beans. I had chosen Mole Poblano, which was a pan-seared chicken breast with coriander rice, plantains and Mole sauce. I had asked to have this without the plantains and explained that I am allergic to bananas. I have never tried plantains and don’t know if I would react to them, but as they are part of the banana family, I do not want to risk it. Shortly afterwards the restaurant manager came back with the menu advising me that their Mole sauce is prepared with banana. So I decided to have the Filet Mignon as well. All the food was truly delicious. This was the best steak that I had ever eaten up to that point. However, this would change again very quickly. Unfortunately we did not have room for desserts, but Graham had some filter coffee and I had a double espresso.

After dinner, we headed back up towards the hotel. They offered to call us a golf cart, but we declined. We were so full that a little bit of a walk did us the world of good. We went outside to wait for the shuttle back to our hotel. While we were waiting, we were chatting to one of the doormen.

When we got back to the hotel, we decided to head up to Bar44, which is on the top floor of the hotel. I had heard that the views from there are a stunning, which they were. Unfortunately they still allow smoking in bars in Dubai and there was somebody next to us smoking a cigar. So we just had one drink and then we headed back to our room. Graham had a Lychee Mousse, which consisted of crushed lychees, grapefruit juice and coconut cream. I can’t remember the name of my cocktail, but it consisted of crushed raspberries, mint, limes, apple juice and a splash of ginger ale. They were both lovely. Once we had our drinks, we headed back to our room and went to bed.

Day 9

This was our last full day in Dubai and again we had a leisurely start. When we woke up, we headed downstairs for breakfast. I had my usual feast. They did not have any Arabian bread left, but the hummous worked well with the freshly cooked crisps as well. After breakfast we headed back to our room. We enjoyed the view from our balcony for a bit and I had another nice soak in the bath. On our way out, I took a photo of the horse statue by the entrance. Unfortunately I had not noticed that there was condensation on the lens so it looks a little hazy.

P1000862.jpg

We decided to have a look at the other end of the marina. When we took the metro to the new terminus, we noticed that there was another shopping centre down this end and decided to check this out. It was a very pleasant walk, but the sun was brutal. It was quite noticeable that it was reaching that time of the year where it is simply too hot to be out an about in Dubai. I felt like I was melting. Still, the view was worth it. Right by the shopping centre was a little area with some rather expensive looking boats moored. It was fun just to look at them.

SDC11574.jpg

SDC11575.jpg

SDC11576.jpg

SDC11577.jpg

SDC11578.jpg

SDC11579.jpg

SDC11580.jpg

SDC11581.jpg

SDC11582.jpg

It was quite a relief when we were inside the shopping centre and it was air-conditioned. That was about the only positive thing that I could say about the shopping centre. We still had not succeeded in finding a down to earth shopping centre. There was a Build a Bear Workshop in there and a MAC concession, but other than this, it was jewellery shops and high end designer shops. On thing that it had going for it is that they had a train for the children there that made the rounds on the ground floor of the shopping centre. Unfortunately there were always local families on or around the train so I was not able to take photos. You are not supposed to take photos of the locals.

Once we had seen enough, we headed outside. I had spotted that there was a waterbus stop not too far away and we decided to check where it goes. We liked the route as it takes in quite a few of the tourist spots like the Palm Jumeirah, Burj Al Arab and the Madinat Jumeirah, but the next departure was not for nearly three hours. It was simply too hot to hang around for that long. So we decided to head back to the shopping centre for a coffee and a snack and then back to the hotel. We both had a Dulce de Leche Frappuccino and Graham had a strawberry cheesecake, but there was nothing that appealed to me so I decided to safe my appetite for dinner. When we had finished our coffees, we got a taxi back to the hotel.

Graham decided to head downstairs to the pool. I had enough heat for the time being and decided to stay in the room and catch up with my emails for a bit. Graham had decided to practise with the snorkeling gear in the pool. I joined him outside a bit later to take photos of the pool deck and the view from there. I also had discovered some extra settings on my camera and played around with them a little giving me some artistic shots.

P1000882.jpg

P1000881.jpg

P1000880.jpg

P1000879.jpg

P1000878.jpg

P1000877.jpg

P1000876.jpg

P1000875.jpg

P1000874.jpg

P1000873.jpg

P1000872.jpg

P1000871.jpg

P1000870.jpg

P1000869.jpg

P1000868.jpg

P1000867.jpg

P1000866.jpg

P1000865.jpg

Graham had enough of the pool shortly afterwards and I had taken all the photos that I wanted so we decided to head back to our room. We packed most of our stuff. I also had to register our intention of flying standby the next day so we headed down to the business centre as we needed to print out the receipt for this to take to the airport. At this stage, I could also see the loads and how many other people had listed themselves for our flight and I started to feel quietly optimistic. With this out of the way, we went back upstairs to get showered and changed.

We decided to head over the Royal Meridien a little bit earlier as I was not absolutely sure where the restaurant was. We had a reservation for Rhodes Twenty 10 for that night. This is Gary Rhodes second restaurant in Dubai and it is a steakhouse. As soon as we got downstairs, the shuttle bus pulled up. So we ended up getting there nearly an hour to early. I took some photos in the lobby and then Graham sat down in an area that was recreating a Bedouin tent. I decided to head off to find the restaurant. I had a rough idea where I would find this and I was right. I also used the time to browse in some of the shops. One of the shops had one of the necklaces that I liked so much in the window. I still was not brave enough to ask how much it cost. I figured that it would be no small number considering that this was a gift shop in a 5 star hotel.

P1000894.jpg

P1000891.jpg

After a while, I joined Graham again. We had a few members of staff come by to check if we were waiting to check in or if they could assist us in any way. We explained that we had a reservation at one of the restaurants and had got there a bit early. They were quite happy with this. About 20 minutes ahead of our reservation, we decided to head towards the restaurant to see if they could seat us. On the way, the necklace called me again loud and clear. So I decided I would be brave and asked how much it cost. To my surprise, it was not all that expensive. It was only about £40. So I decided to get it. The shop assistant went to look for a box, but I decided that I would wear it straight away. It looked rather nice with my cocktail dress.

When I had finished my shopping, we headed to the restaurant, which was just at the end of the corridor. We were asked if we were going to the restaurant or the bar. We told them that we had a reservation for the restaurant and we were seated straight away. I did not really know what to expect. I have never subscribed to this whole celebrity chef hype and this was my first meal at a restaurant owned by a celebrity chef. I had heard that the food is divine and as we both like a good steak, I decided to go for it. I was joking that Gary Rhodes would bar me if he knew who I was. Many years ago, when we still lived in Essex, I had a temporary job at the Ideal Home Exhibition selling book club memberships. I was looking out for prospective customers, when suddenly this guy came up to me asking me if I wanted an autograph. I had no idea who he was, so I just said “no, thank you”, turned around and got on with my job. Once he had left the area, one of my colleagues came up to me and asked me if I knew who I had just spoken to. I told her that I didn’t. She then told me that it was Gary Rhodes. For the rest of this contract I was teased that I was the person who gave Gary Rhodes the cold shoulder.

I was very impressed with the restaurant. It was both simple and flashy. The walls were white, the colours neutral, but there were huge chandeliers everywhere. We were seated in a circular booth. Our servers came to introduce themselves. The set up was very simmilar from what we are used to from cruise. We had an assistant server, server and head server. The service was very attentive. We were offered drinks and were presented with the menus. Our server made recommendations and explained how the menu works. Essentially they are encouraging people to share. For the main courses, the sides were separate, but the sauces were complimentary and again they encouraged us to order more than one. I had a look at the starters and there was nothing that appealed to me. So I decided to save myself for dessert. This is very unusual for me as I normally prefer a starter over dessert. However, the starters were very much seafood-based.

We both decided to pass on a starter. I went with the Ribeye Steak with a Bearnaise Sauce. Graham had steak and kidney pie. This was not conventional steak and kidney pie. The kidney and gravy was baked into a brioche and then there was a nice big piece of fillet steak next to it. I ordered some triple-cooked chips and a platter with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes and onion rings. Graham wanted to order some chips and green beans, but the server recommended that we just share one portion of chips and we could always order more if this is not enough. So we got my two choices of sides and the beans. We decided to share a bottle of sparkling water. Graham also had a glass of orange juice and I had a glass of coke. With the drinks, they brought out a basket with freshly baked white and brown country bread and some salted and unsalted butter. They also brought us each little taster of one of the starters, which was tomato, basil and buffalo mozzarella.

I was amused by the fact that they treated the water like champagne. They poured each of us some water and then put the bottle in an ice bucket away from the table. Every now and again, our assistant server came by to refill our glasses. It did not take long until our main courses arrived. The steak was out of this world. The steak literally melted in the mouth and you did not really need a knife to cut it. It also had a beautiful flavour. In my past experience, steaks in Dubai are not as juicy as elsewhere because they are halal and the way that the meat is produced. Therefore I very rarely eat steak in Dubai. This was totally different. I did ask our server if the steak is halal and I was assure that it was. This was now the best steak that I had ever tasted. Graham loved his meal as well.

P1000895.jpg

P1000896.jpg

P1000897.jpg

P1000898.jpg

Even with the best intentions, we had no room for dessert. Again, they brought out a taster. We got two mini desserts each. One was a passion fruit jelly and the other was a mini chocolate muffin with cream. The chocolate muffin was divine, but I had no room to eat both muffins. Unfortunately Graham was not allowed to try this. Once we finished our meal, the head server came to our table to talk to us for a bit. He had checked a couple of times during the meal that everything was OK. Everything was just perfect with this meal.

Once we had paid, we headed back towards the entrance of the hotel. We waited a short while and instead of the usual shuttle bus, one of the vans that they use for airport transfers turned up. We were definitely not going to complain. Once we got back to our hotel, I took some photos of the latest flower arrangement and then we headed to bed.

P1000889.jpg

P1000888.jpg

P1000887.jpg

Thanks for following along. I really have to finish this off. However, between this being our busiest time at work and having the net vacation and our vow renewal to plan, I have been a little preoccupied.

Corinna

Your necklace is lovely Corrina, what a bargin:thumbsup2

Looking forward to reading the last instalment:)

Just caught up with this. Dubai is a place I really want to visit, even more so now from your report:thumbsup2

I was at YYZ today and the A380 is parked beside an Air Canada plane, wow what difference in size, wish I had my camera, but it reminded me to come an catch up on your report.

Youe pictures are amazing, I think a trip to Saudi Arabi would be amazing, thank you for sharing.

I was at YYZ today and the A380 is parked beside an Air Canada plane, wow what difference in size, wish I had my camera, but it reminded me to come an catch up on your report.

Youe pictures are amazing, I think a trip to Saudi Arabi would be amazing, thank you for sharing.

I would not recommend going to Saudi Arabia and especially not as a woman. To start off, it would be very difficult to get a visa and even if you managed to get one, as a woman you would be very restricted as to what you can do and where you can go.

The United Arab Emirates, of which Dubai is a part, is a different proposition. They are far more westernized and tolerant. People from the USA, Western Europe and the Pacific Rim do not need a visa for stays up to 30 days. I really love Dubai and I have never felt uncomfortable there or in any way restricted. One of those days we have to check out Abu Dhabi, which is the biggest of the 7 emirates making up the United Arab Emirates.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter