April DVC “Try Out” Visit

Holly’sMom

Earning My Ears
In April, my husband, 5 year old and I rented DVC points for a Polynesian trip to see if we want to buy DVC. The rental through DVC rental store was great - they were super helpful and responsive. I didn’t realize that, when renting points, I could not book the magical express, so I waited on hold for an hour only to be told “this is why we discourage members from renting points”, which was not great. I know magical express is going away, but still.... the Polynesian was beautiful and the construction did not bother us at all. We missed the monorail, but understood before we went that it was not running. Cast members at the Polynesian could not have been nicer or more welcoming. The pool is fabulous and very well staffed. My daughter enjoyed the pool almost as much as the parks!
We missed having housekeeping. The room when we got there was clean, but there was some black gunk (mold) coming out of the water faucet above the refrigerator, which was pretty gross.
When we arrived at the Polynesian, our room was not ready, which we expected, as it was not yet check in time. We went to the gift store because we didn’t have sunscreen in our backpack and found out that all of Disney was out of sunscreen. That was a bummer, but not their fault that I forgot to put sunscreen in our backpack. We went to get ice cream and I ordered the advertised orange bird pineapple float. The woman working at the stand said they were out of orange birds, so I pointed to the shelf full of them behind her head. She then gave it to me with a cup of pineapple ice cream, not a float, but ok, it was still good.
Our stroller was taken while we had it parked in stroller parking in the Pandora area of Animal Kingdom. Unbelievably, when we told the cast member working there that our stroller was gone responded that somebody else must have taken it and WALKED AWAY. We were not trying to be high maintenance, but we rented that stroller at the park and were responsible for its return. Fortunately, when we found member services, they were very helpful.
Overall, a fun trip - we are still discussing the pros and cons of buying.

Glad you tried DVC!! Too bad on the Magical Express. The owner (renter) of the points can submit the names and setup the service (in the perfect rental world that is), My recent trip I noticed a few cast members didn’t have the correct magic attitude but thought maybe they were tossed into a position that they were not use to with many prior positions not available yet. Not having daily room service is all part of a time share and you’ll get use to it. You are doing the correct thing by researching and analyzing if DVC is the right fit for you! Hope it is.

When I rented points in 2019 I booked DME easily.
It isn’t easy now. The main number says you have to call the DVC number (understandable), then the DVC number rep says only the DVC member can book the magical express because of ‘privacy concerns’. They told me this is why they discourage members from renting out their points.

Sounds like you had a good experience at the Poly! When folks ask me if they should buy DVC I always tell them that if they have already decided they like to vacation at Disney and they LOVE DVC resort rooms and locations then yes they should consider buying DVC, the decision to buy DVC is more about your preference on accommodations. You can for sure find great places to stay that are budget friendly and still be able to visit Disney, but if you want to go to Disney on a regular vacation basis AND you love the DVC resort accommodations then yes, DVC is probably a good route to go. If you don't care about the resort you stay at, location or room type then you can certainly vacation at Disney without buying DVC and forgo the 11 month out planning, points banking/borrowing etc and just get a cash room somewhere (onsite or not) and enjoy your Disney vacation :-) We personally LOVE the DVC resorts, the flexibility to have a 1 bedroom with a kitchen and laundry and the resort locations being in the "Disney bubble", so DVC made sense for us. I have a friend who loves Disney but gets a great hotel off site and enjoys their Disney vacation that she planned like 2 months out (maybe different now with theme park reservations though). Anyhow good luck on your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter