April 2023 W.I.S.H.-Showers-Flowers and Health!

Where did you get your teen age cues on body image? I'd say mostly from other kids that I went to school with. Also, my family is mostly all built the same and it was just talked about a lot. Looking back at my mom, she was not overweight either, but she always felt big because she wasn't petite with a small build.
Did you read the teen beauty magazines and did they have an impact on your self image? I think the only one was Seventeen magazine and I'm sure it did. Oddly enough, when I was in high school (late 80s), big hear was all the rage. I had that naturally lol - curly, thick hair
Are you still carrying any image distortions with you, that formed in high school? I think my main one would be that I always thought I was fat, so I became fat. Kind of like we get what we think we deserve. For some reason, I have pretty good control on the rest of my life, but just haven't conquered the weight issue.
How about writing your teen aged self a love letter? I think I would just tell myself that you are so much more than your pants size.

And bonus if you have a picture from high school you'd like to share, so we can all give young you some love.
View attachment 751076
I think this is my freshman year of college, but I couldn't find any older ones on my computer and I'm not at home to access other pictures lol
Another beauty!

What a great topic!!!!

Where did you get your teen age cues on body image? I think friends, magazines and family. Friends and magazines were definitely the “kinder” of the 3!
Did you read the teen beauty magazines and did they have an impact on your self image? I did yes and I always remember comparing everything the girls had to what I didn’t have (size, height, skin, ect…)Seventeen magazine was the one I remember.
Did you have a favorite movie or TV star you tried to emulate? I can remember trying to do a lot of the hair styles and find clothes from DJ and Stephanie in Full House
Are you still carrying any image distortions with you, that formed in high school? I carry a lot of the words that were said to me and about me by my family with me, but it no longer defines who I am. There are so many more important things than the way you look and your clothing size and it’s only through expanding my circle and meeting all types of people that I have realized this.
How about writing your teen aged self a love letter? This is a great idea!!!!

I will try and find a picture!!!

depositphotos_549965704-stock-illustration-hello-wednesday-happy-wednesday-week.jpg

What is making you go "WOOHOO" today?

Where did you get your teen age cues on body image?
My family, I guess? I feel lucky that I've generally felt pretty OK about that stuff - never fancied myself a fashion model or anything, but didn't spend a ton of time dwelling on my flaws either.

Did you read the teen beauty magazines and did they have an impact on your self image?
No, I didn't read them.

Did you have a favorite movie or TV star you tried to emulate?
Not for everyday style, but I was pretty geeky even back then. - I do remember working hard to learn how to do Princess Leia's hair from Return of the Jedi. :laughing:

Are you still carrying any image distortions with you, that formed in high school?
Not physical ones, more of personality expectations maybe. (I was quieter and rather shy back then, and sometimes I forget how much I've grown.)

What is making you go "WOOHOO" today?
Made some good progress on decluttering this weekend, and just realized my neighbor's forsythia is blooming - it's spring!!

I started with this recipe, but I only use eggs, bacon bits and shredded cheese - have I mentioned that I'm a lazy cook :rotfl:

https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/recipe/scrambled-egg-breakfast-muffins/
We make something similar. We use 12 eggs, a few potatoes and what ever else we decide for that week. Sometimes it is peppers onions spinach other times it is chorizo or other meat. It is just one big casserole that we split up into individual containers for each day.

Where did you get your teen age cues on body image? I am pretty sure from my mom. She was always skinny but always talked about it needing to lose weight. We just knew weight was a big deal to her and I think it rubbed off on me. She is 5'1' and the most she has ever weighed is like 120 (her winter weight). In the summer she would be like 110. She is still very skinny and tells my sister and I what we should be doing to lose weight.
Did you read the teen beauty magazines and did they have an impact on your self image?
I got Teen and Seventeen but I only got them for the posters that came with them. I had a canopy bed would hang them on the top part of the bed
Did you have a favorite movie or TV star you tried to emulate? No I don't think I did.
Are you still carrying any image distortions with you, that formed in high school? I don't think so. I do wish I could be that size again though
How about writing your teen aged self a love letter?
This letter would be more about anxiety and stuff like that. I was not as bad as DD but I was not great mentally either but it wasn't because of my weight. Young me.jpgMe now.jpg
I might have been in college but close to HS. The other is from this past summer. I have gained more since then.

We make something similar. We use 12 eggs, a few potatoes and what ever else we decide for that week. Sometimes it is peppers onions spinach other times it is chorizo or other meat. It is just one big casserole that we split up into individual containers for each day.
I like the idea of baking it as one casserole and then cutting it up. That seems so much easier! I think I'll try that for next week.

WooHoo Wednesday:
I'm a daily weigher, but Wednesday is my self-proclaimed official weigh in day and I was down 2 pounds today, for a total of 6 since I started (4 weeks ago) being mindful of what I put in my mouth.

Also, DD26 had her first day in her office yesterday. She started in job in August 2020 and hasn't been inside her office at all. She's now going to start going in on at least Tuesdays and it went well for her. She finally met some of the people that she talks with all the time on the phone and had a very good day! She enjoys WFH, but is also excited to be going into the office at least one day a week.

Where did you get your teen age cues on body image? I am pretty sure from my mom. She was always skinny but always talked about it needing to lose weight. We just knew weight was a big deal to her and I think it rubbed off on me. She is 5'1' and the most she has ever weighed is like 120 (her winter weight). In the summer she would be like 110. She is still very skinny and tells my sister and I what we should be doing to lose weight.
I got Teen and Seventeen but I only got them for the posters that came with them. I had a canopy bed would hang them on the top part of the bed
Did you have a favorite movie or TV star you tried to emulate? No I don't think I did.
Are you still carrying any image distortions with you, that formed in high school? I don't think so. I do wish I could be that size again though
How about writing your teen aged self a love letter?
This letter would be more about anxiety and stuff like that. I was not as bad as DD but I was not great mentally either but it wasn't because of my weight. View attachment 751299View attachment 751300
I might have been in college but close to HS. The other is from this past summer. I have gained more since then.
Both beautiful!

I like the idea of baking it as one casserole and then cutting it up. That seems so much easier! I think I'll try that for next week.

WooHoo Wednesday:
I'm a daily weigher, but Wednesday is my self-proclaimed official weigh in day and I was down 2 pounds today, for a total of 6 since I started (4 weeks ago) being mindful of what I put in my mouth.

Also, DD26 had her first day in her office yesterday. She started in job in August 2020 and hasn't been inside her office at all. She's now going to start going in on at least Tuesdays and it went well for her. She finally met some of the people that she talks with all the time on the phone and had a very good day! She enjoys WFH, but is also excited to be going into the office at least one day a week.
Congrats on the -6 pounds!

Woohoo... for moving practically next door to my Niece and her husband, as I've had to rely on them twice already. Once was the first week living here when I locked myself out of the house, then yesterday I had a flat tire coming back from the grocery store. I haven't changed a flat tire since taking 'Autoshop for Girls' in high school and I don't think my spare has been out of the car since I bought it in 2004. Fortunately it still had a little bit of air in it, enough to get to the gas station to pump it up.

And hopefully this will turn into a woohoo... I consistently have discomfort in my feet from neuropathy, and it has really been bothering me lately, despite getting exercise regularly and adding in extra B12. I googled again and the first thing that came up was food to not eat and at the top of the list was gluten. That got me to thinking gluten might be at the root of a couple other things that have been bothering me, so I'm going to greatly reduce my intake, if not go completely gluten free. If it turns out to help it will be a woohoo for sure.

I am woohooing that today is my last day of work before vacation. Lots of packing and running around to do before we leave on Friday. I am also woohooing that the shorts I bought last summer still fit. I didn't think they would.

Woohoo... for moving practically next door to my Niece and her husband, as I've had to rely on them twice already. Once was the first week living here when I locked myself out of the house, then yesterday I had a flat tire coming back from the grocery store. I haven't changed a flat tire since taking 'Autoshop for Girls' in high school and I don't think my spare has been out of the car since I bought it in 2004. Fortunately it still had a little bit of air in it, enough to get to the gas station to pump it up.

And hopefully this will turn into a woohoo... I consistently have discomfort in my feet from neuropathy, and it has really been bothering me lately, despite getting exercise regularly and adding in extra B12. I googled again and the first thing that came up was food to not eat and at the top of the list was gluten. That got me to thinking gluten might be at the root of a couple other things that have been bothering me, so I'm going to greatly reduce my intake, if not go completely gluten free. If it turns out to help it will be a woohoo for sure.
My mom is gluten free. She has celiac' s. Let me know if you have any questions or need meal ideas. She has been gluten free for like 10 years now but it should have been for 20 years before that. She was misdiagnosed for 20 years.

I am woohooing that today is my last day of work before vacation. Lots of packing and running around to do before we leave on Friday. I am also woohooing that the shorts I bought last summer still fit. I didn't think they would.

My mom is gluten free. She has celiac' s. Let me know if you have any questions or need meal ideas. She has been gluten free for like 10 years now but it should have been for 20 years before that. She was misdiagnosed for 20 years.
Thanks! I used to be gluten free but then went thru the NAET which helped so I stopped. Now my challenge is finding alternates that don't have things with lectin in them.

Where did you get your teen age cues on body image?
Mostly from people at my dance studios...which was good and bad. Being healthy and strong was emphasized more than being skinny but even though that was our focus going out to competitions presented a different story. Yet at the same time most of our costumes had cut out stomaches so probably a way of trying to get us to lose weight without SAYING it. When I got older teen years it was more from other girls at my school. Going to an all girls school being skinny was something to be admired and the amount of people not eating at lunch was a lot.
I vaguely remeber those magazines...but i read them more trying to get tips on being noticed by boys lol
Did you have a favorite movie or TV star you tried to emulate?
Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing
Are you still carrying any image distortions with you, that formed in high school?
Sort of. I am actually about the same weight I was in high school...I hit my heaviest after college. But I really am lacking the muscle tone and that's what gets me down. I don't know if it's a distortion but being heavy but toned came naturally then and it takes work now
20230405_194502.jpg

Last edited:
Wahoo yesterday I was having a busy/rough day at work and was dreaming of a peanut buster parfait from Dairy Queen. Instead I had two pieces of dark chocolate!

Wahoo I have gotten up at o'dark thirty all this week to do yoga! I'm feeling under the weather and have taken tomorrow off so just have to see how it goes if I do yoga at some point or just sleep all day!

Whooooohooooo today is my last day of work for 11 days oh my gosh I am so excited! I have not been off since Christmas and I am more excited than a child on Christmas morning!!!!

Thankful today to be at a point in my career where I have the time to take off and enjoy my time off. I remember scraping together just enough days to take a week off once a year and now 21 years into my career I get 5 weeks a year of vacation which is such a gift.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Today I am thankful for my calm life. When I was younger, I somewhat thrived on chaos, but I think some of that comes from dealing with everything with your growing family. Constant change, someone always needs something, etc. I LOVED that time of my life, but I'm growing to love this new chapter in my life as well and I'm very grateful for it.

Whooooohooooo today is my last day of work for 11 days oh my gosh I am so excited! I have not been off since Christmas and I am more excited than a child on Christmas morning!!!!

Thankful today to be at a point in my career where I have the time to take off and enjoy my time off. I remember scraping together just enough days to take a week off once a year and now 21 years into my career I get 5 weeks a year of vacation which is such a gift.

I hope everyone has a great day!

How exciting! Time off is so important and refreshing!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter