Apple Watch series 3 - Galloway Intervals?

hauntedcity

DIS Veteran
I just got an Apple Watch Series 3, and I have what I thought would be a simple question: What's a good running app for people using Jeff Galloway Run-Walk-Run intervals?

Basic Needs:
  1. Track Time
  2. Track Distance
  3. Display Pace
  4. Works alone, without phone
  5. Track history, with viewable maps (on phone or website)
  6. Easily set Run/Walk intervals by time (e.g. 60 seconds running, 20 seconds walking)
1-5 are found in just about every running app (Workout, Nike, Strava, RunKeeper, etc), but I can't find one that allows me to set intervals and change them on the fly.

So, what are you Galloway Runners using?

Right now, I'm still using my old Galloway timer. It's a little clunky, but works fine. I haven't tried the Runkeeper Watch app yet. I used the iOS version a few years ago, and it was one of the few apps that handle intervals if you set up separate Workouts for each ratio. It worked, but didn't allow for changing ratios on the go, without ending and starting new workouts. Has anyone tried the watch version? Any good?

There is a Jeff Galloway app that you can set intervals. It links with Apple Health, but you still have to have your phone on you. It's call Lolo easy5k (there is a 10k, Half Marathon, and Marathon version as well). You can set your interval levels. Jeff Galloway will tell you when to run or walk based on your selections..he also gives motivational talks and tips along the way. I really like the app, but it does cost a couple of bucks. I hope this helps.

I don't use my watch without my phone, so I haven't done it independently, but after a little googling I found that Runkeeper might be everything you are looking for. I use Runkeeper on my phone and I set my workout intervals in the app and I get the cues from my phone. Setting up the intervals is a little tedious but I don't mind.
This may help:
https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en...mprehensive-Guide-to-Runkeeper-on-Apple-Watch

But they did say that they can't support audio cues in the stand alone version:
  • We haven’t yet added the ability to use audio cues in standalone mode without the phone (it’s on our radar!).
  • Interval feedback for selected workouts will be given in the form of a haptic vibration (we upped the strength so it should now be easier to feel!).

There is a Jeff Galloway app that you can set intervals. It links with Apple Health, but you still have to have your phone on you. It's call Lolo easy5k (there is a 10k, Half Marathon, and Marathon version as well). You can set your interval levels. Jeff Galloway will tell you when to run or walk based on your selections..he also gives motivational talks and tips along the way. I really like the app, but it does cost a couple of bucks. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking to ditch the phone on long runs, though.

I don't use my watch without my phone, so I haven't done it independently, but after a little googling I found that Runkeeper might be everything you are looking for. I use Runkeeper on my phone and I set my workout intervals in the app and I get the cues from my phone. Setting up the intervals is a little tedious but I don't mind.
This may help:
https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en...mprehensive-Guide-to-Runkeeper-on-Apple-Watch

But they did say that they can't support audio cues in the stand alone version:
  • We haven’t yet added the ability to use audio cues in standalone mode without the phone (it’s on our radar!).
  • Interval feedback for selected workouts will be given in the form of a haptic vibration (we upped the strength so it should now be easier to feel!).

Thanks for the info. I've used runKeeper for the phone with intervals before, and I liked it. However, I'm looking for a watch app that can work solo. I'll definitely keep following RunKeeper to see when they add watch-only workouts.

I never downloaded the app, but I’ve heard ismoothrun is a good one for intervals. Not sure it’ll suit your needs but check it out.

It’s a paid app and it looks like an old school design, but I’ve heard the app developer is still updating it.

I never downloaded the app, but I’ve heard ismoothrun is a good one for intervals. Not sure it’ll suit your needs but check it out.

It’s a paid app and it looks like an old school design, but I’ve heard the app developer is still updating it.

I tried RunKeeper this morning, and it was ooooookaaaaayyyy. the interval notification was quiet (I wouldn't be able to hear it in a race), and the vibration was slight enough that I might miss that, too. It might be worth the $5 to give iSmoothRun a try.

I have a half marathon on Saturday, and I'll probably have to use the old Galloway timer for that. Never try anything new on race day, right? All of that assumes that we won't have 8 inches of snow the night before, though. It's not looking good! :crazy2:

I tried RunKeeper this morning, and it was ooooookaaaaayyyy. the interval notification was quiet (I wouldn't be able to hear it in a race), and the vibration was slight enough that I might miss that, too. It might be worth the $5 to give iSmoothRun a try.

I have a half marathon on Saturday, and I'll probably have to use the old Galloway timer for that. Never try anything new on race day, right? All of that assumes that we won't have 8 inches of snow the night before, though. It's not looking good! :crazy2:

I have an Apple Watch and went through exactly what you are. In races, Disney in particular, I couldn’t hear the interval beeper. I finally bought a spandex waist belt and a pair of Trekz bone conduction headphones. I put the iPhone in the belt with my fuel and use lolo Galloway app paired with the trekz for the intervals, which I can hear even if Joe Bob Willie drives by in his jacked up mufflerless monster truck. I use the Nike run app to track my run on my watch. Wasn’t ideal buy problem solved! DH and I run together and can carry on conversations and he just follows my run/walk lead.

Hope you find something that works for you.

I have the Apple watch series 3 also and was looking to do the same thing. I ended up buying the clip on interval timer to use for intervals and I used the apple exercise app to record my run. I wanted to use the apple exercise app that comes with the watch and I couldn't run both that app and an interval app at the same time on the watch since you can't run gps on two apps at once. I tried turning the gps off on the intervals but it would still turn off my other app tracking my run. This way I also save battery on the watch on long runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!