Apple Watch as Magic Band

mouserrificmom

DIS Veteran
I know that the watch will work for scanning in for admission, charge to room, et cetera, but I am wondering if it would work for the onboard ride photos on the rides that capture the RFID from the band as opposed to scanning at the end of the ride. My kids love those photos, so I don't want to miss out on them if we decide to leave the bands at home. Are the scan touch points still at the rides and can you use an Apple Watch to scan there if it doesn't pick up on ride?

]
I know that the watch will work for scanning in for admission, charge to room, et cetera, but
1. I am wondering if it would work for the onboard ride photos on the rides that capture the RFID from the band as opposed to scanning at the end of the ride.
My kids love those photos, so I don't want to miss out on them if we decide to leave the bands at home.

2. Are the scan touch points still at the rides and can you use an Apple Watch to scan there if it doesn't pick up on ride?
1. Maybe. There has been some discussion that they might (or may, in the future.)
2. Most of the rides that had them before, still have them. But, some do not.
If it is important, why not carry one MB with you in a pocket or elsewhere, just in case?

]
If it is important, why not carry one MB with you in a pocket or elsewhere, just in case?

That is such a great idea and I can't believe we didn't think of it! I think we were so focused on not having to carry anything (like a purse or sack) even looping it around a belt loop would work. Great tip! We have so so SO many of the darn things we certainly have a few to spare!! ;)

Thanks -

I have magic band puck holders that slide on my Apple Watch band. Got them on etsy a few years ago and the work great. All you have to do is take out a couple of screws on the back of the magicband, put the puck in the holder and slide the holder onto your apple watch band. I thought I might not use them for my upcoming trip but since i already have them I might as well wear it. I have used them for a few trips already and I don’t event notice they are there. Just do a search on etsy for magicband puck holder.

You could get a magic keeper, or just take the puck out and put it in your pocket. A good idea to have a MB or card at least for now in case your watch or phone doesn't work. DH used his apple watch and worked great most of the time, but he had to use his MB to enter one park.

I have magic band puck holders that slide on my Apple Watch band. Got them on etsy a few years ago and the work great. All you have to do is take out a couple of screws on the back of the magicband, put the puck in the holder and slide the holder onto your apple watch band. I thought I might not use them for my upcoming trip but since i already have them I might as well wear it. I have used them for a few trips already and I don’t event notice they are there. Just do a search on etsy for magicband puck holder.
This is what I was going to suggest as well. My wife has used them for a while because she didn't want a magic band + watch on her wrist.

I know that the watch will work for scanning in for admission, charge to room, et cetera, but I am wondering if it would work for the onboard ride photos on the rides that capture the RFID from the band as opposed to scanning at the end of the ride. My kids love those photos, so I don't want to miss out on them if we decide to leave the bands at home. Are the scan touch points still at the rides and can you use an Apple Watch to scan there if it doesn't pick up on ride?
Part of MagicMobile is enabling photo linking via Bluetooth on your phone. I haven't been there yet since they implemented it, so I can't vouch for it working, though. Let me see if I can find a link for you.

Well, that was easy! I just did a search here on DISboards and found a thread that quotes from Disney's FAQs:

Q. How do I use Disney MagicMobile features with Disney PhotoPass?
A. To connect Disney PhotoPass images to your Disney account, simply present your Disney MagicMobile pass to Disney PhotoPass Photographers around Walt Disney World Resort. As a reminder, be sure to enable Bluetooth® on your smart device to connect with in-park experiences using wireless technology, including automatic attraction photo linking.

So it's a matter of having your iPhone Bluetooth turned on, not so much a feature of using your Apple Watch. That said, I'm using my Apple Watch as my MB next week - but I'm also carrying a MB puck in or on my bag.

Do the PhotoPass photographers scan your phone or your watch? It likely won’t be a problem for us since one of us will be wearing a band. My mom would prefer to use a band instead of her phone anyway. I was just wondering how it’ll work with MemoryMaker.

Need the app for Samsung
They have it for Samsung so you can use your phone, I don't know if it works on a Samsung watch though. The problem for me is you have to use Google pay as your default payment app and I use Samsung pay and am not willing to change just to be able to use my phone to enter a park. I have used Samsung pay for years and as the saying goes... if it aint broke don't fix it.

Will be curious to hear how well the distance tagging works with the phone Bluetooth method. E.g., are there signal issues if the phone stays in your pocket? Also curious what kind of battery drain this will cause on a phone. Will I still be able to get through the whole day on a charge, or will I need to top it off at some point?

Do the PhotoPass photographers scan your phone or your watch? It likely won’t be a problem for us since one of us will be wearing a band. My mom would prefer to use a band instead of her phone anyway. I was just wondering how it’ll work with MemoryMaker.

Either. Your watch and phone hold a digital copy of your KTTW card in the wallet app.

Thanks for this. I just went and bough one. Hopefully my 2019 magic band still works LOL. Also I found a clear glow in the dark one, cause GLOW in the DARK!

We are coming to the world in August and DD has a magic band she is going to reuse. Mine is dead and instead of ordering a new one, I plan on accessing the app on my phone and watch for room key and park entry. Has anyone done this with their apple watch? I have it set up where the disney tickets pop up on my watch. I'm assuming then I would just hold my watch to the entry point to have it scanned. Has anyone else already done this or plan on doing it that knows more than I do?

Once you've loaded the Disney Pass into the Wallet app, you can hold either your iPhone or Apple Watch up to the touch point to enter the theme park.

To enter your hotel room, you would need to open the MDE mobile app on your iPhone and touch the "Unlock Door" button in the reservation details screen. Your Apple Watch can't unlock your hotel room door at this time.

Apple is adding hotel key functionality to the wallet app, but it won't be available until after iOS 15 and WatchOS 8 have been released later this year.

We are coming to the world in August and DD has a magic band she is going to reuse. Mine is dead and instead of ordering a new one, I plan on accessing the app on my phone and watch for room key and park entry. Has anyone done this with their apple watch? I have it set up where the disney tickets pop up on my watch. I'm assuming then I would just hold my watch to the entry point to have it scanned. Has anyone else already done this or plan on doing it that knows more than I do?
When you load your ticket to your wallet on phone and watch, make sure that Express Mode is enabled on your watch (in the Watch app, tap on Wallet & Apple Pay, then on Disney MagicMobile Pass, then scroll down below the QR code). That allows your Watch to work just like a MB when entering parks. You don’t have to pull out your phone, you don’t have to open the wallet on your watch - just touch your watch face to the Mickey on the tapstile and see it turn green! It worked perfectly for us last week. Now we’re waiting for the functionality of opening resort room doors and charging to our room with the watch to become available!

Forgive me if I missed info about this here, but the biggest drawback I see, the biggest reason I cannot come into the park without my iPhone (and I want to, believe me I do!) is these days you have to use mobile ordering if you want to eat at most quick service restaurants. And you need the app on your phone to do this. Does anyone know of a workaround?

Forgive me if I missed info about this here, but the biggest drawback I see, the biggest reason I cannot come into the park without my iPhone (and I want to, believe me I do!) is these days you have to use mobile ordering if you want to eat at most quick service restaurants. And you need the app on your phone to do this. Does anyone know of a workaround?
Don’t bring your phone. Politely tell the CM at the entrance to the restaurant that you don’t have a smartphone and would like to order inside.

Don’t bring your phone. Politely tell the CM at the entrance to the restaurant that you don’t have a smartphone and would like to order inside.
I didn't know that was an option! I would be very careful, and super polite, because I'm sure CMs get a lot of grief. I like to eat "off hours," so it might be doable.

Thanks for the tip!

I didn't know that was an option! I would be very careful, and super polite, because I'm sure CMs get a lot of grief. I like to eat "off hours," so it might be doable.

Thanks for the tip!
There are many guests at WDW who don’t have smartphones, for many reasons. Also, many guests with allergies or other reasons that require them to order inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter