Apple Scooter- Not Recommended

Sparkie

DIS Veteran
I have to say I would not recommend Apple Scooter/Stroller Rental. We rented an ECV for 10 days, a single City Mini for 10 days and a single City Mini for 5 days June 2015.

On Day 1 the ECV lost power in the MK back by Splash Mountain- mid morning. When I called the company, I was given the drill down of, did you charge it?- well, take the cover off and check this, then check that.... turns out the strap that holds the batteries in place was rubbing on the wires and the connection was loose - They did send someone to the parade entrance by Spash with a new fully charged ECV and we were on our way again. But it was 40 min of inconvience on Day 1.

The Stroller that I received was an Edie Bauer City Mini. It was in rough shape. The rubber grip on the handle was torn, the basket under the stroller was torn and there was no way that that cover was laundered in Dreft like their advertisement says. But I know the strollers get a lot of wear and tear and it was for a 5 yo who would walk some so off we went with it.

Day 3 we were at Epcot near Test Track waiting for rain to stop and I look over at the stroller and the seat is busted out. Ripped, shredded and I can see the plastic that is supposed to be the seat. I called the company and told them about the condition of the stroller and told them I was going to need a replacement. I told them I was at Epcot but we would be leaving soon and could they bring a new one to our hotel. They were closed for the day and could not deliver a new one until 9am the next morning. Well, great! Except I have an 8am breakfast ressie at Hollywood and Vine. So NO stroller for Day 4.

Day 4: No stroller for the morning. After we returned from Hollywood Studios, I went by bell services to pick up my replacement stroller and out rolls the BROKEN stroller. I told them no, Apple was supposed to bring a new one. Bell services looked and did find the new stroller. This one was in better shape but the rubber grip on the handle was loose.

Day 7: We get on the bus at AKL, make it to MK for our 8 am bfast at Crystal Palace. Mom drives her ECV from the bus to the check in line and BAM! ECV DEAD! Wont turn on. I call the company. "Just push it over by the scooter rental at the main enterance (which is on the opposite side of the bfast check in) leave it there and we will bring a new one in about an HOUR. So my mom who has COPD had to walk from the gate to Crystal Palace. It was a slow walk and we were late to bfast. After bfast at 920, I called the company AGAIN. They assured me they were on their way. My brother waited with mom and eventually a new ECV did arrive. This one looked in much better shape than the previous 3.

For the last 3 days of our vacation we did not have any ECV or Stroller issues.

The people I spoke with on the phone were pleasant, they did provide replacement equipment but I will not recommend APPLE SCOOTER/STROLLER because of the inconvience that the repeated breakdowns caused.

Last edited:
Wow I am sorry that you had so many problems I would have been asking for a refund of at lest one day.

I just used Apple Scooter last week. They were extremely polite when I had issues with the first battery - delivering one to the resort almost immediately. I'm sorry that you had issues with Apple.

Our experience is Apple is not as good as they use to be. I really believe they need to get more new batteries for their scooters. We had similar experiences with batteries that did not hold a good charge.

Scooter people do not need the added aggravation. I really feel the scooters should be well maintained and Apple is falling short on that count over the last few years.

We have rented from them for over a dozen years. We have been very loyal, but when I go back to Disney World Apple will not be our scooter rental company.

I used Apple earlier this month and also had to get a replacement ecv. I do have to say that they were very nice and I had a replacement within 30 minutes. My issue was that there was a short or something with the key and starter. I had to keep jiggling the key and would spend 5 or more minutes every time I tried to turn it on. Then it would shut off if I was on bumpy ground, very inconvenient!

We had a good experience in 2013 but this has me wondering if we should go with another company for the fall. Which company do you think would be better?

We used them and had a terrible time, went thru 3 scooters in 2 days before one finally worked so they comped us 2 days towards our next rental. That week went fine.

This last trip I tried Orlando Scooter Rentals. they were beyond fantastic. Even though they aren't a preferred vendor they met us at the exact meeting spot early in front of Pop Century. They gave a full hands on demo of all of the features of the wish model and it worked beautifully all week. They actually beat us to our pick up time and kindly waited, no questions asked.

As for the wish, I can't say too many good things about it. Shock absorbers, need I say more? Reclining seat, adjustable arm height and width, adjustable steering column distance, turn signals!, a headlight that actually lights the way, a great sun shade that folds into a backpack attached to the scooter when not in use, a high speed charger, the scooter went on the same charge for 2 full days because I forgot to charge it. I could gush more, but i'll stop. I will never go back.

Oh, and the thing looked brand new. All of the bus drivers were beyond impressed with how well it turned for parking on the bus and it's turn radius for getting out. Partially cloth covered seat, carpeted floor so your feet don't slip when it's wet, head rest. Ok, I gushed some more, oops.

I just used Apple Scooter last week. They were extremely polite when I had issues with the first battery - delivering one to the resort almost immediately. I'm sorry that you had issues with Apple.

You had an issue as well. You should not be inconvenienced because you were supplied a scooter with a defective battery.

A while back we had problems with Apple and went through several repair calls before finally cancelling and using Walker Mobility for the rest of our stay. We have used Walker for several trips since then as well.
linda

I think I'm hearing a theme that Apple's scooters are failing whether it's a battery problem or other issue. I'm glad you had a decent response with your battery issue Lindava.

We were grateful Walker worked with us and saved the last few days of that trip. In our experience Apple lacked in both maintaining their scooters and customer service skills. Since that trip we have used Walker when visiting the parks and a cruise we took from Port Canaveral and never had a negative experience, scooter or otherwise.

Our experience is Apple is not as good as they use to be. I really believe they need to get more new batteries for their scooters. We had similar experiences with batteries that did not hold a good charge.

Scooter people do not need the added aggravation. I really feel the scooters should be well maintained and Apple is falling short on that count over the last few years.

We have rented from them for over a dozen years. We have been very loyal, but when I go back to Disney World Apple will not be our scooter rental company.

Thanks!! I rented from them 2 years ago and was just about to make another call for our upcoming trip! I'll keep looking :)

After our last stay I would never rent from them again had to have 2 scooters replaced
One issue was when going back to resort late night and broke down as we were trying to take monorail to resort
We were unable to get a hold of anyone that time and were so thankful to the monorail operator who helped get my husbands EVC on and off the monorail
Then had to wait till late morning for another
Will never used again as we also had issues the time before

Oh, my gosh!! That's horrible-and wonderful the monorail driver helped!! If that would have happened to us, my husband would have had to leave me there, take the kids back to the room(LUCKILY they are old enough to stay by themselves for a short duration!), find a wheelchair (AT NIGHT??? Where??) and come back for me!! Obviously Apple doesn't understand the needs of their clients!! I rented from them 2 years ago and will be finding a new vendor for our upcoming trip. Thank you for sharing your nightmare! So sorry you had to experience it!

Last edited:
Thanks to whoever resurrected this thread. I had intended to rent with Apple for our upcoming trip. I wasn't so sure anymore after reading so many bad reviews here but I figured I was gonna give them the benefit of a doubt. Yeah what, now I already have a bad experience with them before the rental even started. They already charged my credit card. Twice. 8 weeks before the rental started. I didn't check my CC statement until today and saw they charged me two weeks ago already for the rental in May and double on top. I canceled my reservations and tried to email - they don't even have an email address on their website (wow, that would be so something you could sue them over in Europe). Luckily I got a confirmation email so I used that one to reply and demanded my money back. If I don't hear back from them in a couple days, I'll go through American Express to get my money fully refunded. Totally unacceptable.

I put in a rental request with Walker now. They were my second choice and now seeing how people here have had good experience with them in the past, that's what I will use.

Thought I would post my follow up to the post about Apple Scooter above.

Apple Scooter has not gotten back to me, neither have they refunded my money yet. I'll give them until tonight, then I will file with Amex about getting my money back. I may also sent something to the BBB.

I contacted Walker right after my above post. Their customer service has been stellar! I conversed with Crystal who went above and beyond to answer all my questions and concerns. She explained the advantages and disadvantages of all their scooters to me. I still settled with the Go Go because of size and portability. When asked what their earliest drop off and latest pick up would be, she said they would work with whatever times I need. I then requested an 8am drop off for both rental periods since we won't be arriving until early evening the day before and I don't need the scooter over night. 8am is still early enough for us to make it to the parks shortly after 9am opening. For the first rental, I requested an 8pm pick up at the hotel since we want to spend the day at Universal. I figured those times would be reasonable. I was then told that they would deliver the scooter to bell services the evening before our rental and pick up the day after the late pick up I had requested at no extra cost so I will have it right at 8am for a day in the parks and didn't have to worry about making the 8pm pickup I had requested. What awesome customer service is that! I quickly received their reservation confirmation via email - and here comes the thing that was the most astounding to me: even though I have opted for the extra insurance for both rental periods, Walker is less than Apple Scooter! Granted, it's just a couple bucks per rental period but since I hadn't really asked what they would charge it came as another pleasant surprise. I just had wanted to make sure I would not have to worry about dead scooter and batteries in the parks, so I was willing to pay whatever extra it would cost to rent with them.

I will comment back after my rental with Walker but if they handle their rental equipment the same way they handle customer support, I have no doubts that my trip with the ECV will be pleasant!

Edited: I also sent off an email to Disney about my experience with Apple. After all, they are on their features provider list. I know, I know, everyone who pays the fee can be put on that list. I think if enough people complain though (also about their stroller rental which seems to be even more horrid these days), maybe Disney will do something. Because really, it's gonna put a bad light on them as well.

Last edited:
Oh no! My mom is renting from Apple for our trip in June. I wonder how difficult it would be to cancel?

Thought I would post my follow up to the post about Apple Scooter above.

Apple Scooter has not gotten back to me, neither have they refunded my money yet. I'll give them until tonight, then I will file with Amex about getting my money back. I may also sent something to the BBB.

I contacted Walker right after my above post. Their customer service has been stellar! I conversed with Crystal who went above and beyond to answer all my questions and concerns. She explained the advantages and disadvantages of all their scooters to me. I still settled with the Go Go because of size and portability. When asked what their earliest drop off and latest pick up would be, she said they would work with whatever times I need. I then requested an 8am drop off for both rental periods since we won't be arriving until early evening the day before and I don't need the scooter over night. 8am is still early enough for us to make it to the parks shortly after 9am opening. For the first rental, I requested an 8pm pick up at the hotel since we want to spend the day at Universal. I figured those times would be reasonable. I was then told that they would deliver the scooter to bell services the evening before our rental and pick up the day after the late pick up I had requested at no extra cost so I will have it right at 8am for a day in the parks and didn't have to worry about making the 8pm pickup I had requested. What awesome customer service is that! I quickly received their reservation confirmation via email - and here comes the thing that was the most astounding to me: even though I have opted for the extra insurance for both rental periods, Walker is less than Apple Scooter! Granted, it's just a couple bucks per rental period but since I hadn't really asked what they would charge it came as another pleasant surprise. I just had wanted to make sure I would not have to worry about dead scooter and batteries in the parks, so I was willing to pay whatever extra it would cost to rent with them.

I will comment back after my rental with Walker but if they handle their rental equipment the same way they handle customer support, I have no doubts that my trip with the ECV will be pleasant!

Edited: I also sent off an email to Disney about my experience with Apple. After all, they are on their features provider list. I know, I know, everyone who pays the fee can be put on that list. I think if enough people complain though (also about their stroller rental which seems to be even more horrid these days), maybe Disney will do something. Because really, it's gonna put a bad light on them as well.
Actually, the companies had to apply and agree to certain requirements to be put on that Disney Featured Provider list. Before initiating the Featured Providers, any company could deliver to Bell Services and it was a nightmare for Disney to deal with all those companies.
(At one point, I think it was about 20 companies,some left the ECVs sitting there in Bell Services for many days or just told the guest a place to park it! We saw one once just left outside for more than a week after check out at Beach Club; there was a clearly visible card with the name of the renter and the check in, check out dates )
That was a potential liability issue for Disney - I remember reading about people having issues with having left their ECV somewhere for pick up and the company saying it was not found.
Disney was trying to get down to a manageable number of companies that would be allowed to drop off and pick up from Bell Services and did not approve every company that applied. Companies that were not chosen are not allowed to just leave their equipment - if they do, Disney can confiscate and remove it. The initial contracts were for 2 years as far as I know and I don't know if there was/is a reapplication process. I do agree that it would be a good idea to contact both the company and Disney if you have concerns about a company that is on Disney's Featured Provider list. That may be the only way Disney finds out people's concerns.

I had conversations by email with several companies that did get onto the list, several that did not and several that did not apply. The requirements were things like when the company would pick up & deliver and types of ECVs - which was mostly to standardize equipment for the buses. Disney agreed to take responsibility for ECVs/equipment left at Bell Services until it is picked up by the guest or the company.
Some of the companies that did not apply were smaller, family owned companies, like Randy's which delivered and picked up directly from the customer as their usual practice. I didn't talk to anyone from Walker, but I think they were similar to Randy's.

Last edited:
I always recommend Randy's Mobility. They are so supper! In 10 years of renting from them only had one scooter break down and it was a plastic hub and had new ECV in less then an hour. Every other time I've had a new or close to new scooter that went as long as I could go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter