Apple AirTag used to track Teen at WDW.

It is terrible when a well-intended invention is used for evil. And great that it is probably a false positive.

Only... reading this, in the back of my head a voice is asking: this family's last name is Gaston. I want to know if they have ever did a meet & greet with Gaston in MK.

Nothing is going to come of it since they never found the AirTag.

Not sure what the point would be of sticking a tracking device into a stranger's bag while at WDW in the first place. Everyone says "human trafficking" but the tag would not have notified the tracker when the target was alone for the purposes of abduction. that's also not how human trafficking usually works. Since they never found the AirTag, I'm going with false positive on this one.

Nothing is going to come of it since they never found the AirTag.

Not sure what the point would be of sticking a tracking device into a stranger's bag while at WDW in the first place. Everyone says "human trafficking" but the tag would not have notified the tracker when the target was alone for the purposes of abduction. that's also not how human trafficking usually works. Since they never found the AirTag, I'm going with false positive on this one.
Yeah I kind of shrugged and said, so? Even if they had found the air tag, which they didn’t, what would anyone do with that information.

And by far, human traffickers do not just grab their victims from high profile locations. That’s a pretty bad way to stay in business. Nevermind that vacationers on an expensive trip like WDW are some of the least likely to have situations that make them vulnerable and easily controlled through manipulation.

I seriously don’t think there ever was an air tag. I posted a few replies back, there was an article in the Washington Post saying there is a definite glitch giving people false tracking notifications.

More of a general question:
How long does the tag need to be near the phone to be recognized? Like is this something after moving so far? Or sitting for so long in the same spot as you?

Good thing is articles like this actually help deter because someone looking to do something will see it easily is tracked by their victim even if this story is not true.

I have run the scanner app on my android phone before.

I added an Apple Airtag to our stroller recently as there had been reports of thefts of strollers at Disney World. It was also really useful to track where the stroller was when it arrived at the airport (or did not arrive as was the case on our flight home - the stroller bag did not make it onto the flight and I could see it was still in Florida!).

I could easily see where the anti-stalking feature might pop up on someone's phone if we were walking with the stroller and someone in close proximity was walking the same direction for awhile (think, walking out of the park and maybe walking to your hotel at Contemporary or in the Crescent Lake area).

I also put one on my backpack, since I bought a 4-pack and it could also happen if I were waiting in a long line or in the same area near another person with the backpack.

Unfortunately, adding the Apple Airtag to the stroller didn't help a Disney shopping bag from being stolen out of the bottom of our stroller on this last trip! Its feasible we dropped it along the way somewhere, but have never lost anything out of the basket at the bottom of the stroller. It happened the same day that the Tiktok video was posted of someone being arrested in Magic Kingdom for stealing out of strollers. Thankfully it wasn't anything expensive but still annoying - and a good reminder to not leave any valuables in your stroller.

We use AirTags a lot. Last trip I dropped one in each of my parent’s rental wheelchairs. We have them on key chains. I can see lots of situations where someone could think they have one tracking them but don’t. Oddly our phones are quite slow notifying us if one of the trackers is “left behind”. I imagine it would make sense there could be a delay in telling you that you are being tracked. Honestly I see no reason anyone would use one to track someone unless they have an ex who is stalking them or something like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter