Apparently Disney isn't even aware they can allow vaccinated out-of-state visitors

All of that could be true, but I would still expect someone calling back on behalf and in the name of the executives to be much better informed. She had my email before she called. She could have at least understood that this was a company position and not a state requirement. I would have no issue with that. I merely asked in the email if they would be making any announcements soon so I could plan accordingly.
There are literally thousands of people - including dozens of travel agents - whose livelihoods depend on the answer to the question of when Disney will allow out-of-state guests. The Disney blogosphere is dying for that information.

What you did was the equivalent of contacting Disney on March 1st and asking them what day they were going to reopen Disneyland, since you were going to be in California in May and wanted to plan your trip, and being frustrated that the answer the CM gave was misinformed or unsatisfactory. (They made the official announcement on March 17th.)

There's no need to even ask that question - no need to take up a Disney employee's time for that. We're all going to find out at the same time. Within minutes of that announcement, it'll be everywhere.

In any case, apparently Universal is more capable than Disney at doing something as simple as verifying vaccines on a card, since it is currently doing that.
Universal Studios Hollywood has less than half the capacity of DCA alone. DL and DCA combined have almost five times the maximum capacity of USH. It's apples and oranges by an extravagant degree - especially when you count the fact that out-of-state folks are vastly more interested in going to DLR than USH.

Disney already had a plan in place. Soft launch for two weeks (which is where we are now), go wide after that. They clearly were not expecting California to change that policy so early, and there's literally no need for them to change gears, even if they could.

Are Universal, Knots, and SeaWorld not ununionized? This isn't a rhetorical question - I honestly don't know. Presumably they would have had the same hurdles.
Neither Knott's nor SeaWorld are unionized. Universal Studios has certain employees unionized, but no where near as many as Disney. Nor is the union as "good" as the ones (multiple) at Disney.

I merely asked in the email if they would be making any announcements soon so I could plan accordingly.
You can ask this, and the person on the phone MIGHT know, but the answer is going to be "We don't know yet." Example, if you had asked over the weekend if Napa Rose would be opening this month, you would have been told "No decision has been made." Reality is, they knew that they were shooting for Memorial Day weekend at the latest. But they can't say that because then people would start bugging them and they prefer to make announcements. Announcement made today.

Just like if you asked tomorrow if prices are going up soon, you'd get "No decision has been made." You'd find out on Saturday when it happened (this was in the past.)

You can ask this, and the person on the phone MIGHT know, but the answer is going to be "We don't know yet." Example, if you had asked over the weekend if Napa Rose would be opening this month, you would have been told "No decision has been made." Reality is, they knew that they were shooting for Memorial Day weekend at the latest. But they can't say that because then people would start bugging them and they prefer to make announcements. Announcement made today.

Just like if you asked tomorrow if prices are going up soon, you'd get "No decision has been made." You'd find out on Saturday when it happened (this was in the past.)

You would be surprised what I have learned ahead of time by emailing executives. Often, it has been something as simple as, "I can't say anything, but I think you will be happy if you watch for an announcement on Wednesday." I knew it was a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

There are literally thousands of people - including dozens of travel agents - whose livelihoods depend on the answer to the question of when Disney will allow out-of-state guests. The Disney blogosphere is dying for that information.

What you did was the equivalent of contacting Disney on March 1st and asking them what day they were going to reopen Disneyland, since you were going to be in California in May and wanted to plan your trip, and being frustrated that the answer the CM gave was misinformed or unsatisfactory. (They made the official announcement on March 17th.)

There's no need to even ask that question - no need to take up a Disney employee's time for that. We're all going to find out at the same time. Within minutes of that announcement, it'll be everywhere.

Universal Studios Hollywood has less than half the capacity of DCA alone. DL and DCA combined have almost five times the maximum capacity of USH. It's apples and oranges by an extravagant degree - especially when you count the fact that out-of-state folks are vastly more interested in going to DLR than USH.

Disney already had a plan in place. Soft launch for two weeks (which is where we are now), go wide after that. They clearly were not expecting California to change that policy so early, and there's literally no need for them to change gears, even if they could.

See my response above. I have received valuable non-public information this way in the past, and it doesn't hurt to ask. It is reasonable for me to attempt to get whatever information I can to make planning my vacation easier. And it is really up to me to decide if there is a need for me to ask, not you. With the tens of thousands of dollars I give Disney many years, I won't shed a tear for taking five minutes of a CM's time.

I don't think it is unreasonable to be frustrated that the CM didn't know basic and important information that was released weeks earlier. I would have not be frustrated in the slightest if she had simply given me the canned answer of they hadn't made a decision. But to insist I was wrong about a fact that was reported in every major California newspaper, confirmed by the state itself, and should be a topic of frequent discussion within the executive team, which she claimed to represent, was reasonable. Especially when she claimed to be in inter-theme park meetings on the very topic of when they could open to out-of-state guests. But thanks for playing gatekeeper on what it is ok for me to be frustrated about.

To be clear, I was nothing but polite with her too. I didn't even indicate to her that I was frustrated.

I am not arguing what Disney should or shouldn't do. It is up to them. They may have more capacity than Universal, but they also have ridiculously more resources to do something as simple as validate a vaccine card. Universal even started selling out-of-state tickets on its website yesterday. Disney surely can do as well as Universal if it wants to do so. But even if it isn't ready yet, that's cool - but is also shouldn't claim it isn't doing it because the state won't let it, when that is untrue and its competitors are doing it already.

It is ok to give constructive criticism. It's a company that can make mistakes like any other. I am not wrong to expect a representative of a company to provide accurate information. I am sure you expect that from other companies you do business with.

Last edited:
You would be surprised what I have learned ahead of time by emailing executives. Often, it has been something as simple as, "I can't say anything, but I think you will be happy if you watch for an announcement on Wednesday." I knew it was a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
I agree. Which is how I knew last Friday Napa Rose and Storytellers were opening Memorial Day weekend. You know a few of the right people, you will hear things. That said, the person on the phone responding to an email is not going to disseminate that info. Regarding the info on vaccines, Disney was very clear when they came back out after Sea World announced they would accept vaccinated persons and Disney stated that they were remaining California visitors only. They do know what they can and can't do. Just because they are not doing what you want them to do doesn't mean they don't know.

And I suppose if DLR felt that they were losing a lot of visitors and money to Universal et al by not accepting vaccinated OOS folks, they would change their stance on this. But (sadly for me since I am OOS, fully vaccinated, and would love to come ASAP!), I think June 15 is so close that it is not worth their effort at this point to gear up for admitting vaccinated OOS people. So I think they will just wait because that is cheaper for them (and I really feel this is driving many/most decisions right now because of all the lost revenue last year and this year; they are a business after all). If safety was really the top priority, they would not allow unvaccinated visitors to the parks, from in state or OOS. But that is not what they are doing. I’ll leave it there so this thread can stay open and I don’t get into trouble!!

Fingers crossed personally that this vaccinated OOS family gets to come back to the Magic sometime this summer! Stay safe out there everyone!

And I suppose if DLR felt that they were losing a lot of visitors and money to Universal et al by not accepting vaccinated OOS folks, they would change their stance on this. But (sadly for me since I am OOS, fully vaccinated, and would love to come ASAP!), I think June 15 is so close that it is not worth their effort at this point to gear up for admitting vaccinated OOS people. So I think they will just wait because that is cheaper for them (and I really feel this is driving many/most decisions right now because of all the lost revenue last year and this year; they are a business after all). If safety was really the top priority, they would not allow unvaccinated visitors to the parks, from in state or OOS. But that is not what they are doing. I’ll leave it there so this thread can stay open and I don’t get into trouble!!

Fingers crossed personally that this vaccinated OOS family gets to come back to the Magic sometime this summer! Stay safe out there everyone!
This vaccinated OOS moved on to other plans.

Last edited:
This vaccinated OOS has plans on the East and West coast for the same week in July just in case...
They have officially.announced Out of State visitors will be allowed as of June 15 and the state strongly encouraged, but doesn't require out of state visitors to be vaccinated or have a negative COVID test.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter