AP gets 25% off premier hotel price?

msshaner

Earning My Ears
We’re planning a trip for next May, is it worth it to have one person get an annual pass if there is such a discount on the hotel room? We’re a family of 7 so we were thinking about staying at one of the premier hotels for the express pass.

It can be worth it, yes. AP rates aren't guaranteed and, as far as I know, there isn't a 'set' discount percentage.

There is a great sticky thread over in the Universal Resorts & Hotels board - https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...for-universal-loews-hotel-properties.3771155/

The very short version is - the hotels release AP discounts a few months at a time so May discounts might be released in Feb... or March... or April. It's all around capacity - if the hotels are booking at full price, they won't have many rooms with AP discount.

I believe a family of 7 would need two rooms. Not sure if they have any large family suites at the Premier hotels. In that case, your potential AP discount savings would be double.

You can also click through this thread to see what discounts people have been getting in the last year or so - https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-2021-2020-onsite-hotel-date-rate-thread.3777289/

It can be worth it, yes. AP rates aren't guaranteed and, as far as I know, there isn't a 'set' discount percentage.

There is a great sticky thread over in the Universal Resorts & Hotels board - https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...for-universal-loews-hotel-properties.3771155/

The very short version is - the hotels release AP discounts a few months at a time so May discounts might be released in Feb... or March... or April. It's all around capacity - if the hotels are booking at full price, they won't have many rooms with AP discount.

I believe a family of 7 would need two rooms. Not sure if they have any large family suites at the Premier hotels. In that case, your potential AP discount savings would be double.

You can also click through this thread to see what discounts people have been getting in the last year or so - https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-2021-2020-onsite-hotel-date-rate-thread.3777289/

Thank you! I will check out that thread!

If you have to get multiple rooms, you need a passholder for each room, so you may have to get an AP for 2 people. A passholder can only book 1 room.

If you have to get multiple rooms, you need a passholder for each room, so you may have to get an AP for 2 people. A passholder can only book 1 room.
I've experienced two different things related to this. I have always booked 2 rooms and only showed my AP.

One visit, they insisted that an AP holder needed to be assigned to each room. Only my wife and I have the APs, and her adult daughters do not. So, they assigned my wife and two of the daughters to one room, and me and the other daughter to the other when we checked in.

When the rooms were ready, we went back to get the keys and I talked to a different agent. After a bit of discussion, I was able to get her to re-key us properly - my wife and I in one room, the thee girls in the other.

On a handful of other stays, no one ever asked how many APs we had. I showed mine (I'm the only one that ever goes to the front desk) and they were fine with it.

YMMV depending on the desk agent you talk to ;)

I've experienced two different things related to this. I have always booked 2 rooms and only showed my AP.

One visit, they insisted that an AP holder needed to be assigned to each room. Only my wife and I have the APs, and her adult daughters do not. So, they assigned my wife and two of the daughters to one room, and me and the other daughter to the other when we checked in.

When the rooms were ready, we went back to get the keys and I talked to a different agent. After a bit of discussion, I was able to get her to re-key us properly - my wife and I in one room, the thee girls in the other.

On a handful of other stays, no one ever asked how many APs we had. I showed mine (I'm the only one that ever goes to the front desk) and they were fine with it.

YMMV depending on the desk agent you talk to ;)

as long as the poster knows the rules. We book two rooms most trips and have always been asked for our AP, but everyone going has an AP of some level.

as long as the poster knows the rules. We book two rooms most trips and have always been asked for our AP, but everyone going has an AP of some level.
I wonder if that rule is written anywhere?

At the Portofino they have the Portofino King Parlor Suite with connecting 2 Queen bedroom, which runs 1300 square feet and can definitely sleep 7. On the off trips where we didn't reserve that and asked for connecting, once it was granted and once it was not and both times ended up in East Wing because West doesn't have configuration like that. After this past trip I have vowed to never not book the two bedroom suite because it is worth the price and not being connected was a bit of a nuisance - we were there a week.

My experience is that the AP discounts at the Universal hotels are *VERY* worthwhile. It may require some "stalking" as unlike Disney there isn't a big announcement of when they drop. And, of course, they are not available on every date/room/hotel, may run out, limited rooms, yaddah yaddah. Definitely depends on availability. Certainly worth keeping an eye out for your dates!

My experience is that the AP discounts at the Universal hotels are *VERY* worthwhile. It may require some "stalking" as unlike Disney there isn't a big announcement of when they drop. And, of course, they are not available on every date/room/hotel, may run out, limited rooms, yaddah yaddah. Definitely depends on availability. Certainly worth keeping an eye out for your dates!
I probably go beyond stalking APH rates. I keep a folder of bookmarks in my browser, for each possible set of dates I'm interested in. Every morning starting 4-5 months before travel, I open them all to see if any APH dates have dropped. Once I see one that looks decent, I immediately book it as they sometimes disappear fast. But I'll keep checking until I get the room type at the resort I want. Some might call it an obsession, but I've always gotten my room :)

So, am I to assume that if there are not any Premier AP rooms available for our trip in October there won't be anymore released? I have a room booked already. How would I go about seeing if it qualifies for an AP rate at some point?

So, am I to assume that if there are not any Premier AP rooms available for our trip in October there won't be anymore released? I have a room booked already. How would I go about seeing if it qualifies for an AP rate at some point?

AP rates don't become available on rooms that are already booked without it & there are a limited number of AP rate rooms released.

The AP rate has to be booked at the time of the original reservation, so if you're not seeing any AP rate rooms for the dates you want, then there are no AP rate rooms available at present. This can change if there are cancellations, so it's worth it to keep checking.

October is HHN and since it was cancelled last year, I think those rooms booked up REALLY quickly this year.

Last edited:
AP rates don't become available on rooms that are already booked without it & there are a limited number of AP rate rooms released.

The AP rate has to be booked at the time of the original reservation, so if you're not seeing any AP rate rooms for the dates you want, then there are no AP rate rooms available at present. This can change if there are cancellations, so it's worth it to keep checking.

October is HHN and since it was cancelled last year, I think those rooms booked up REALLY quickly this year.
Thanks! I figured that was the case. It was kind of a last minute decision to book over fall break and I think all the AP rooms were taken. I'm just happy to have gotten a Premier hotel reservation for that time! They were booked quickly.

If a lower AP rate comes out and is less than my current AP booking, is it advised to change the booking online myself or call in? If myself, can I modify it or do I need to book that rate then cancel my previous reservation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!